Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

AegisP posted:

Best thing about these two is that they released a 5 hit Holy Knight ability alongside his USB, which means Orlandeau has the potential to press one button while his USB is active and deal 100,000-150,000 damage without Cloud USB.

Marche's USB also gives his front row allies quick cast and attack + 30% after they use a knight ability. Not sure if that overwrites shout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's always nice when you've been neglecting the gift box and press collect all and your mythril amount jumps by like fifty.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

saltylopez posted:

Marche's USB also gives his front row allies quick cast and attack + 30% after they use a knight ability. Not sure if that overwrites shout.

Marche USB doesn't hand out any Attack bonuses to non-Marche party members, but the front row quick cast is actually High Quick Physical, meaning it's Thunder God Mode for physical damage only, not just standard Quick Cast.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Zurai posted:

Marche USB doesn't hand out any Attack bonuses to non-Marche party members, but the front row quick cast is actually High Quick Physical, meaning it's Thunder God Mode for physical damage only, not just standard Quick Cast.

Thanks for the correction. Must have misremembered.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The power creep in this game is getting insane.

Speaking of which, one of my IRL FFRK friends got tired of me talking about magicite dungeons and started working on the nightmares. He blasted through most of them in 2 days. It's crazy how far we've come since they were released.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

The power creep in this game is getting insane.

Speaking of which, one of my IRL FFRK friends got tired of me talking about magicite dungeons and started working on the nightmares. He blasted through most of them in 2 days. It's crazy how far we've come since they were released.

I don't mind powercreep in this game too much because old abilities and sbs are still revelevant, especially with introduction of USBs. I mastered the current torment relying heavily on Squall's usb... that is to say his unique soul break.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am getting work done with Squall's enIce unique. There is certainly better poo poo out there now, but a lot of older stuff still can hold up decently well. Theres power creep but I don't think difficulty has risen nearly as fast. Magicite is the most challenging content, and even then the big thing is more breadth of coverage than needing insane relics. Hell, look at all the ninja clears.

Also, holy loving poo poo is Noctis SSB insane. Last night I replaced Rikku Imperil BSB with Noctis SSB/BSB on my Liquid Flame party, and cut my time down by 15 seconds. I ran it again later, and cut it down another ten down to about 40 seconds. Noodle boy is the real deal.

Also, apologies to Zurai. Noctis BSB is much more underwhelming than I expected. On my last run I decided to try out using the BSB to recharge my Omega Drives, and it recharged Lifesiphon instead. The SSB just feels way more valuable overall compared to what else I could be doing with him. I still can see scenarios where I'd want to use Noct's burst, but Magicite definitely isn't one of them.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

So far I can only reliable beat Sealion under 60 sec (maxed out Terra does wonders) so I'm going to have a pretty sweet set of Ice Magicite.

Maybe when they're all level 99 I'll be able to handle Fenrir, as my only decent source of ice damage is Squall's OSB (and no en-ice to go with it).

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Wow, I didn't think I'd actually manage to get Golem down with my physical team, but the power of ignore defense prevails

Starring:
Big Man Sephiroth, dropping rocks all day
Zidane, a fool who stacks ATK buffs and wind-boost equipment to compensate for actually caring about defense (BSB2)
Our Lady Rosa of the Kick-rear end USB
Ramza, Taking breaks from shouting at people and removing protect to remind you that he has Ninja 4 and MAG swords exist
And Edge in a Chicken Suit, who did ~162,000 damage before running out of hones, and occasionally applied Shell to the party

With Special Guest:
Level 76 Enkidu, boosting Wind damage and probably tipping people over the ninja magic threshold all on his own

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Benthalus posted:

So far I can only reliable beat Sealion under 60 sec (maxed out Terra does wonders) so I'm going to have a pretty sweet set of Ice Magicite.

Maybe when they're all level 99 I'll be able to handle Fenrir, as my only decent source of ice damage is Squall's OSB (and no en-ice to go with it).

Do you happen to have Cloud's USB? That leading into OD was my main source of damage against Fenrir with a fully Record Dive'd Cloud. The only ice I brought was Celes BSB1 and an R1 Snow Spell Strike.

Cloud USB with OD is kinda gross with its damage output. When his LM procs and you get to watch him launch two in a row... That's a good feel.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I am getting work done with Squall's enIce unique. There is certainly better poo poo out there now, but a lot of older stuff still can hold up decently well. Theres power creep but I don't think difficulty has risen nearly as fast. Magicite is the most challenging content, and even then the big thing is more breadth of coverage than needing insane relics. Hell, look at all the ninja clears.

Also, holy loving poo poo is Noctis SSB insane. Last night I replaced Rikku Imperil BSB with Noctis SSB/BSB on my Liquid Flame party, and cut my time down by 15 seconds. I ran it again later, and cut it down another ten down to about 40 seconds. Noodle boy is the real deal.

Also, apologies to Zurai. Noctis BSB is much more underwhelming than I expected. On my last run I decided to try out using the BSB to recharge my Omega Drives, and it recharged Lifesiphon instead. The SSB just feels way more valuable overall compared to what else I could be doing with him. I still can see scenarios where I'd want to use Noct's burst, but Magicite definitely isn't one of them.

I got his ssb, how should I be using it?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
That Orlando USB is haunting me. Just imagine this JS poo poo:

The battle starts, Orlando gains (infinite) haste.
Turn 1 Orlando casts USB (instant), gaining +50% atk (he literally has his own personal shout going on now) and his own EX mode
Turn 2 Orlando casts OSB (instant) gaining Thunder God's Might
Turn 3 Orlando casts RW Cloud USB (instant)

From here you start making GBS threads out the five hit holy attack Assault Saber and Guardbringer. How much damage are we looking at for one dual use of Assault Saber, 300-400k?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I thought I couldn't beat Fenrir cause my ice stuff is so lovely, but shockingly I did. Turns out my legend dived Vaan is formidable in there despite having no elementals going for him. Was nice to have the debuffs as part of his DPS so I can actually use them, for what little good they are here. Used Alphinaud with SSB as my extra healer. And lucky for me Enkidu dropped.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got his ssb, how should I be using it?

I don't have it so this is just derived from general game knowledge but the instruction manual is pretty straightforward: slap Ace Striker on him, get him a full Legend Dive if possible, instant Lifesiphon three times, Gladiolus Link, Lifesiphon with your instant turn, keep the instant party noncharges coming. Shortening or skipping the ATB charge altogether is basically stacking another layer of Haste on your team, it's really strong.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Turn 1 Orlando casts USB (instant), gaining +50% atk (he literally has his own personal shout going on now) and his own EX mode

From here you start making GBS threads out the five hit holy attack Assault Saber and/or Guardbringer. How much damage are we looking at for one dual use of Assault Saber, 300-400k?

Corrected that for you. Assault Saber and Guardbringer don't really stack well since you're lowering your defense (and damage potential with GB). If you have dualcasts up as well, the carnage would be godly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I don't have it so this is just derived from general game knowledge but the instruction manual is pretty straightforward: slap Ace Striker on him, get him a full Legend Dive if possible, instant Lifesiphon three times, Gladiolus Link, Lifesiphon with your instant turn, keep the instant party noncharges coming. Shortening or skipping the ATB charge altogether is basically stacking another layer of Haste on your team, it's really strong.

My problem with doing this is that he takes up an entire character slot that could have provided some other utility. I'm still trying to figure out how to make him work in my usual party compositions and I think I might just have to re-think/re-work how I build teams.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

iamsosmrt posted:

Corrected that for you. Assault Saber and Guardbringer don't really stack well since you're lowering your defense (and damage potential with GB). If you have dualcasts up as well, the carnage would be godly.

You just need to get your Order of Operations right. If someone else puts up wall and protectga while TGC does his SB casting, you should have plenty of defense to max guardbringer. Use up those casts first, THEN move on to Assault Saber after your DEF doesn't matter anymore.

It's fun thinking of crazy strats for Jump Start fights... too bad they tend to be easy anyway and the strats aren't nearly as viable in non-JS situations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

From here you start making GBS threads out the five hit holy attack Assault Saber and Guardbringer. How much damage are we looking at for one dual use of Assault Saber, 300-400k?

You can also pop his BSB before burning skills since that's likely to still deal more damage than double-cast knight abilities, and it gives more atk in the off-chance he's not already well over the softcap.

If I get Orlandu's USB I can do that while Cloud uses his USB+BSB2 and Zack uses his CSB+BSB to poo poo out unholy amounts of wind damage. :black101:
(or I'd just have to not RW a Rikku USB and actually use OK's BSB and shellga/protectga, maybe)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alxprit posted:

Yeah, the issue is just the gimmicks of the bosses. I know that some of them are easy but making and kitting out a whole different team for all of them is just really annoying to me. I have to get it done at some point, I know.

I mean, if kitting out a team and building it for one single fight isn't your idea of fun, you're gonna detest magicite battles. Maybe it shouldn't be a priority for you.

That said, as stated, all of the skills left except Reraise are really good (or get really good, in the case of Dervish), and at the very least you owe it to yourself to clear out Affliction Break and Meltdown, which are huge for even non-magicite content.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
If you're able to clear all content, how long does it take to bring someone from 0-fully dived generally?

I'm not close to being there and I'm unable to finish the Rebirth dungeons, so I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alright so let me see if if I understand things correctly:

-Butz can equip his RM2 and LM2 for a 13% and 35% chance to double cast spellblades, and his LMR for a 10% chance to triple cast. Each of these rolls separately and can occur simultaneously.
-His EX mode makes him follow up each spellblade with a 50% chance of either 2 hits or 8 hits, at 40 potency per hit. These can proc off of double or triple casted spellblades.
-With SSS (420 potency), he can potentially do 3700 potency in a single turn, or just shy of four times the potency of his OSB.
-On average he'll do about 1040 potency per turn, which is a little more than his OSB.
-You can combine it with Cloud USB???

I see why people are drooling over this.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

If you're able to clear all content, how long does it take to bring someone from 0-fully dived generally?

I'm not close to being there and I'm unable to finish the Rebirth dungeons, so I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait.

Since 4* motes are still on a rotation, it depends on that same rotation. Generally, though, you'll be able to fully 4* dive a character after one or two Multiplayer fights that give out the motes you require.

5* motes are a bit trickier, and getting a full legend dive on a character will basically require two or three JS fights, depending on the mote. Bravery is more common, Dex and Spirit are the big bottlenecks currently.

Fister Roboto posted:

-Butz can equip his RM2 and LM2 for a 13% and 35% chance to double cast spellblades, and his LMR for a 10% chance to triple cast. Each of these rolls separately and can occur simultaneously.
-His EX mode makes him follow up each spellblade with a 50% chance of either 2 hits or 8 hits, at 40 potency per hit. These can proc off of double or triple casted spellblades.
-With SSS (420 potency), he can potentially do 3700 potency in a single turn, or just shy of four times the potency of his OSB.
-On average he'll do about 1040 potency per turn, which is a little more than his OSB.

Caveat: His EX mode only works with his "standard" four elements - meaning Fire/Wind/Earth/Water. You won't get a proc off of, say, Thundering Twinstrike, and SSS's proc will always be wind-elemental (which can be an issue if you're using it against a boss weak to ice but not wind, hi fenrir).

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 31, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KataraniSword posted:

Caveat: His EX mode only works with his "standard" four elements - meaning Fire/Wind/Earth/Water. You won't get a proc off of, say, Thundering Twinstrike, and SSS's proc will always be wind-elemental (which can be an issue if you're using it against a boss weak to ice but not wind, hi fenrir).

His USB doesn't chase with the same element? That kinda sucks. :(

If he can chase BSB commands that count as spell blades that's going to have some interesting options as well.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

His USB doesn't chase with the same element? That kinda sucks. :(

If he can chase BSB commands that count as spell blades that's going to have some interesting options as well.

It absolutely does chase with the same element! If it's one of those four elements. Fire/Wind/Earth/Water. Otherwise it doesn't chase at all.

He can definitely chase his burst commands, though, and probably Paine's too if he RWs it.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 31, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

KataraniSword posted:

Since 4* motes are still on a rotation, it depends on that same rotation. Generally, though, you'll be able to fully 4* dive a character after one or two Multiplayer fights that give out the motes you require.

5* motes are a bit trickier, and getting a full legend dive on a character will basically require two or three JS fights, depending on the mote. Bravery is more common, Dex and Spirit are the big bottlenecks currently.

Guess I need to build up more 4* dives then. Only have two, so that makes sense.

I know a two-month old account shouldn't be impatient, but here I am :v:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm going in for probably 150 mithril myself, then keeping the rest of my stash for the fest. That Bartz USB is the big prize, of course, but I'll also be trying for his two BSB's. Since I have his OSB already, those enelements would be handy, and his LMR would also be great.

I might be tempted by VI, but will probably just wait for the fest and hope the good stuff from VI is on it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

It absolutely does chase with the same element! If it's one of those four elements. Fire/Wind/Earth/Water. Otherwise it doesn't chase at all.

He can definitely chase his burst commands, though, and probably Paine's too if he RWs it.

Yeah I misread what you said in regards to it proccing off SSS. :downs:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

KataraniSword posted:

I mean, if kitting out a team and building it for one single fight isn't your idea of fun, you're gonna detest magicite battles. Maybe it shouldn't be a priority for you.

That said, as stated, all of the skills left except Reraise are really good (or get really good, in the case of Dervish), and at the very least you owe it to yourself to clear out Affliction Break and Meltdown, which are huge for even non-magicite content.

See the difference in that case is I'm making a specific team for one fight but it's a fight I'll be doing multiple times. I can save that party and use it later and do the fight over easily. The Nightmare battles are one and done.

I will get around to it soon, though. Once I'm done spending mythril on Bartz's USB I'll see what my teams are looking like and push forward a bit then. I would like skills like Affliction Break for certain bosses anyway, it's just getting up the motivation.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Augh I want this event to drop so I can hurry up and be disappointed with my pulls.

Also is there any word on those elemental banners? It's rough trying to plan out mythril spending without knowing if they're going to pop up randomly at any time.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

If I have a fully dived Celes with her LMR, is there really a big impetus to go for Bartz? I can't see myself really benefiting from two spellswords in the same fight.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
lord grant me some good water relics, this edge bsb doesn't exactly cut it for Living Flame magicite

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah. The magicite dungeons have been really fun for me especially for elements I'm weak in. Having to improvise and rearrange teams is almost as satisfying as the battles themselves.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
After seeing the new Orlandeau gear I'm seriously considering hoarding mythril for all that stuff.

I'm absolutely pulling once on the FF6 banners at least. The Shadow and Setzer stuff is too good to pass up.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
So I installed FFRKompanion, the app that let's you see what drops on each battle, and I gotta say it was easier than I expected. About 3 minutes of set up, and it only works on wifi. But it beats out wasting keystones trying to grind for enkidu. And guaranteed 3 Major Dark Orbs from Torment X is pretty great.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Yeah, I tried it out and it's great. Making the Magicite and Torment drops a lot less frustrating.

I might be aiming for farming Ice Orbs instead. Managed the Ruby Dragon 3-man CM with no Ice SBs (and a Magicite for Ice damage mastery to avoid reflect) so it shouldn't be too bad to go through again. This VIII Torment is the only one with Ice Orb drops, just like X for Dark Orbs. Ice/Power is a pretty nice combo too.

That said, reason I'm not too worried on Dark is that I'm banking on the next VII event still having the Shinra 100-man battle for Dark Orbs. It was something like 7 Stamina with a minute clear granting a Major Dark Orb. I'm also limiting myself to 6 Magicite battles a week in hopes we get the half-stamina Magicite so I can stockpile some Keystones to use then.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 1, 2017

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I was hoping for something for Faris, but walked away with Bartz's USB and Earth BSB. I already have his BSB1 and his OSB and I just finished legend diving him a week ago.

BRB, going to go have a stern conversation with Hydra.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

5/11 both USBs.

Holy. poo poo.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Got two chicken knifes!! And a dorgan's blade. I think I'll pull again and go for another Bartz relic here and maybe a LMR. I got 550 mythril so can't hurt.

And got his BSB sword! Noice! Plus Faris' Bracer which gives me an imperil wind, and another Dorgann blade.

Good set of pulls here. And Bartz is going diving.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 1, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
How usable is Bartz USB without a BSB? I pulled it and I'm not sure if I should chase or not.

I have garbage 5 synergy (never pulled on a V banner before), if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I got Galuf's goofy super which might be useful as a gimmick down the road but otherwise bleh

• Locked thread