Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

whomupclicklike posted:

After reading both of those articles twice I'm still having a hard time parsing what's going on. What does TIF have to do with school funding?

OKAY! Time for a bit of municipal financing bullshit. A Tax Incremental Financing district is a tool in some states that allows for improvements in areas that are currently Blighted or determined to be in need of infrastructure improvements. What you do is take the current tax rate of an area and go to all of the tax collection agencies in that area (typically local, county/parish, state, school district, technical colleges) and say 'hey, for the next twenty years, you're going to be getting the same amount of money as you do right now in this area.

THEN, you borrow against the expected improvements in the tax rate in the area to perform improvements to infrastructure, offer up incentives to businesses to move into the area, or to clear up 'blight'. As the TIF grows, you are able to pay off those loans with the difference in the tax rate that's being improved. Then, after the TIF matures, everyone gets to profit off that increased tax base.

What's possibly racist about this is that it can be seen as a tool for gentrification or as a way to pay big corporate interests to move in and fill their coffers with money. It also has the added effect of being arcane as gently caress, so the people see the city council spending millions of dollars on road work and improvements and then 'WHY ARE WE SPENDING MONEY MUH TAX DOLLARS' even though they are literally not paying anything more than they usually would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Phuzzy posted:

OKAY! Time for a bit of municipal financing bullshit. A Tax Incremental Financing district is a tool in some states that allows for improvements in areas that are currently Blighted or determined to be in need of infrastructure improvements. What you do is take the current tax rate of an area and go to all of the tax collection agencies in that area (typically local, county/parish, state, school district, technical colleges) and say 'hey, for the next twenty years, you're going to be getting the same amount of money as you do right now in this area.

THEN, you borrow against the expected improvements in the tax rate in the area to perform improvements to infrastructure, offer up incentives to businesses to move into the area, or to clear up 'blight'. As the TIF grows, you are able to pay off those loans with the difference in the tax rate that's being improved. Then, after the TIF matures, everyone gets to profit off that increased tax base.

What's possibly racist about this is that it can be seen as a tool for gentrification or as a way to pay big corporate interests to move in and fill their coffers with money. It also has the added effect of being arcane as gently caress, so the people see the city council spending millions of dollars on road work and improvements and then 'WHY ARE WE SPENDING MONEY MUH TAX DOLLARS' even though they are literally not paying anything more than they usually would.

So is this money supposed to be used on schools or not

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

whomupclicklike posted:

It can't be directly spent on schools, no. It also takes money out of their coffers that is then spent by the local municipal authority running the TIF. That can mean stagnating funding for districts through both reduced tax income, as well as reduced state aid as the district gets 'richer' at tax assessment time.

What I'm trying to say is that a lovely TIF can harm schools that need the funding.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

whomupclicklike posted:

From the sounds of it since taxes to schools have been capped because property taxes have been capped (that's an argument for another time because holy crap does that need to be addressed) the money is being used elsewhere where Allie is saying it should be used to schools. That's my take on it but again the entire execution of this comic is hard as hell to place partly because I'm not dealing with this situation personally.

Thanks for the parsing of it though phuzzy.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

From the sounds of it since taxes to schools have been capped because property taxes have been capped (that's an argument for another time because holy crap does that need to be addressed) the money is being used elsewhere where Allie is saying it should be used to schools. That's my take on it but again the entire execution of this comic is hard as hell to place partly because I'm not dealing with this situation.

Thanks for the parsing of it though phuzzy.

Allie gonna Allie, and any excuse to take a shot at BIG DEMOCRAT in Illinois is going to be made. He's not entirely wrong here, but he should know drat well TIF funding isn't some drat slush fund (most of the time).

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
So this whole TIF thing seems bad to me, where does the racism come in?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

whomupclicklike posted:

The thing is, it's not /bad/ when you're looking at situations in Wisconsin where State Aid is now zero thanks to Governor Walker, TIF is often the only tool that local governments now have to spur growth in their community.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

whomupclicklike posted:

"Encourages Development" is often code for gentrification which often prices out the original (minority) occupants of an area.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HootTheOwl posted:

"Encourages Development" is often code for gentrification which often prices out the original (minority) occupants of an area.

Also it was made by Allie so we're just going with the Free Space in Bingo here

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

So is the cartoon racist for encouraging gentrification?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Chip Bok posted:

The extremist hate group thing seems a little trumped up to me.

The Southern Poverty Law Center says there are between 5,000 and 8,000 Klan members. The SLPC is the media’s go-to choice for hate stats. They even publish this helpful hate map.

But their definition of hate seems broad. They label some Christian groups that don’t share their views on LGBT issues, like the Family Research Council, as hate groups. Then again, I suppose the Klan also considers itself a Christian group not big on the LGBT agenda.

Anyway, I found the FBI figure of 2,200 Klan members quoted in Newsweek archives. So I went with it.

The Family Research Council is a hate group, Bok. Sorry to break the bad news to you. I'm not sorry. Not even a little sorry. You are a lovely person, Bok.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Vampire hunter shows up to save the guy, the vampire's like "nah man look the guy's a nazi", the vampire hunter's like "oh okay carry on then"

CoolCab posted:

well, the vampire is going to eat someone. a vampire hunter has the drop on him! but no, the vampire explains that the person deserves a painful death. satisfied, the hunter departs.

Thanks, I thought it was that. But I wasn't totally sure. I was thinking something of "but then you'd have a Nazi Vampire, and that's bad."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IHrlk-USGY

Largeguy
Nov 16, 2003

Insurance Bot is here. He gonna indemnify yo ass.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The Family Research Council is a hate group, Bok. Sorry to break the bad news to you. I'm not sorry. Not even a little sorry. You are a lovely person, Bok.

Nobody told Bok there are more white supremacist hate groups than just the Klan, either.

Largeguy fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 31, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The FRC is always the go-to as "the mean SPLC is targeting them for being Christians! :qq:" despite the fact that the FRC literally want to put all gay people in jail.

Wikipedia posted:

In February 2010, Family Research Council's Senior Researcher for Policy Studies, Peter Sprigg, stated on NBC's Hardball that gay behavior should be outlawed and that "criminal sanctions against homosexual behavior" should be enforced.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

whomupclicklike posted:

So is the cartoon racist for encouraging gentrification?

man i dunno, i'm just explaining TIFs

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What kind of twisted, hosed up mental state do you need to look at SPLC with disdain?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Kaza42 posted:

Nah, it's a bit more subtle (but no less bullshit). The study they site tries to claim that the biological connection between child and parent is more important than anything else. As a lot of children in gay households are (according to the study, no idea about the actual numbers) staying with a gay parent after their heterosexual marriage ended with divorce. Then, when the child asks where babies come from and learn that it takes a man and a woman, their tiny child minds will be OVERWHELMED and they'll decide that something has to be horribly horribly wrong since one of their biological parents is out there somewhere and not here raising them.

So it's this cartoon, but serious?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Let's be honest, compared to most of the crap we see in this thread that one barely registers as "racist".

That said, gently caress Allie.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ularg posted:

What kind of twisted, hosed up mental state do you need to look at SPLC with disdain?

Defensive. The SPLC implicitly accuses Bok of being what he is.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

"moral equivalence! moral equivalence!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a fascist

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
God drat right wing media is full speed ahead on "antifa are the real fascists" aren't they.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

loving HELL. I've been seeing too much of that equivocating bullshit lately, and it makes me furious. Tell me how many people antifa ran over with their car, you spineless, Nazi apologist bastard.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The moral equivalence was already a big ol' pile of bullshit, but it is exponentially worse now that we have literal loving Nazis marching in the streets and one of them ran people over with a loving car.

But I'm sure all the "here's legislation to make it legal to run over protesters" and "here's how you run over protestors without getting in trouble" poo poo had nothing to do with that latter bit.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Do they think fascism was left undefined beyond "politics I don't like"?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

At first glance I thought this was Louisiana giving Texas a handjob.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
As vile as his KKK toon is, this one is just plain stupid.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Fister Roboto posted:

At first glance I thought this was Louisiana giving Texas a handjob.

Hmm

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Renaissance Spam posted:

So is this a viable strategy? Mirroring Japan's EU trade deal I mean.

Not even remotely. Neoliberals have spent 40 years running down UK trade and industry in favour of becoming the services capital of Europe in an attempt to kill the unions. We don't have what Japan wants, and we don't have the capacity to make it. Now we've told the people we've geared our entire economy to deal with to gently caress off on the basis of a marginal result in an advisory referendum held purely so the Tories could quell internal party conflict. We may joke here about Brexit being the worst political move in history if not for Trump, but in truth Trump is only a worse move because he could conceivably destroy the entire world. Beyond that he will be gone in four years or maybe even less. The effect of Brexit will last a generation.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

seiferguy posted:

God drat right wing media is full speed ahead on "antifa are the real fascists" aren't they.

If by "right-wing media" you mean MSNBC, Bloomberg, Washington Post, and The Atlantic.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I really REALLY should not be checking this thread as frequently:bang:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FronzelNeekburm posted:

If by "right-wing media" you mean MSNBC, Bloomberg, Washington Post, and The Atlantic.

The rear end hole who was getting his rear end kicked pepper sprayed a bunch of protesters as well.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Antifa just wont stop disrupting The Discourse. I mean, how are news outlets supposed to talk about how dapper Richard Spencer is if he keeps getting punched all the time?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

seiferguy posted:

I love that cartoonists somehow think solar and wind power are massive lobbyist groups:

What's next, big vegan??

have some australian windmill toons

seiferguy posted:

Happy Tuesday!

2018: Kelly's European Summer Vacation. A wholesome middle-aged gentleman (DUPED TRAVELERS) stands in front of the Palace of Westminster (BIG BEN) stammering "B-but the B-bells!" while sinister politicians (NASTY) and members of the royal family (REDCOATS) sneer in the distance. Lady Liberty peeks over the top of the building, shedding a single tear. Korner Kelly: "Clock Blocked"

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 31, 2017

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Trapezium Dave posted:

Do they think fascism was left undefined beyond "politics I don't like"?

That's how I always see it framed in these arguments, conveniently enough for Nazi sympathizers and their unwitting accomplices.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Well at least two of those are opinion pieces, and I know The Post's Thiessen is possibly the most right-wing blowhard Trump-apologist numbskull dickhead they have. Since Will and Krauthammer have gone against Trump and are sticking to their guns on that, all they have left are Thiessen, Rogers, and some idiot editor of a small town newspaper in Ohio they started publishing for some reason.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

For some reason, I'm really tempted to make a D&D style 'roll 3d6' chart for these. I'd only have to leave off about thirty, I think.

I've only seen one windfarm with credible problems arguably worse than a coal plant, and that was one that was built way too close to people's homes so for about half an hour every day the blades put rhythmic shadows in their houses, which would certainly drive you up the loving wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

said the earth as it died from climate change.

• Locked thread