Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

You remember wrong. The Archer is the least threatening dude, since he doesn't even have a bow lmao

The archer way up top has a bow, the other one doesn't. Delita and Algus should both go after the bow guy and take him out but he's pretty annoying until they decide to go do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
first time through FFT i got stuck at the roof of riovanes castle cuz i didn't bring anyone speedy enough and it was literally impossible to win

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

fridge corn posted:

first time through FFT i got stuck at the roof of riovanes castle cuz i didn't bring anyone speedy enough and it was literally impossible to win

Secret tip: Remove everyone's armor. Then they'll stop going after Rafa because they just target the person with the lowest HP.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

some guy on the bus posted:

Secret tip: Remove everyone's armor. Then they'll stop going after Rafa because they just target the person with the lowest HP.

cool, wish id known that *looks at watch* 20 years ago

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

Nah, there are just like three difficulty spike fights, and if you've played before and know they're coming you can blast through them pretty well. The others I'm thinking of are the Execution Site and the infamous Wiegraf duel.

The former is the only part of the game that was controller-throwing hard for me, the latter I just looked up how to cheese it. Other than those two fights yeah it's not that hard.

e: oh wait, isn't there a fight where you're on roof and fighting a bunch of Nonjas or somethin

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

precision posted:

The former is the only part of the game that was controller-throwing hard for me, the latter I just looked up how to cheese it. Other than those two fights yeah it's not that hard.

e: oh wait, isn't there a fight where you're on roof and fighting a bunch of Nonjas or somethin

i feel like that's a hit-or-miss fight for people (no pun intended). it's only difficult because there are uncontrollable guests who can get OHKO'd which leads to a game over, but in my two run-throughs the fight was a breeze.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I did it! I killed those dorter slum bastards. Well, my black mage did. The rest were laying in the mud.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know, they were really just trying to make a living, pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
gently caress your lazy asses square, you have to go through the waterway in edward's tale 3 times, after having gone through it in an earlier tale

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Pouring one out for the original translation

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Relin posted:

gently caress your lazy asses square, you have to go through the waterway in edward's tale 3 times, after having gone through it in an earlier tale

Lazy recycling in The After Years!?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Relin posted:

The After Years is dogshit bro

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Pillsbury Dough Boy was right.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
a 5th trip in kain's tale uuuuuuuu

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd rather do Underground Waterway fifty times and fight fifty different Octomammoth palette swaps than do Devil's Road again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want to play a rehash of a better SNES FF game just play dimensions. At least its its own bad thing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Vanrushal posted:

Experience with NT Beta:

- Brave Attack (X) and Jump (O) need to swap buttons, this poo poo is killing me and there's no custom controller options

- 3v3 feels very overwhelming, there's a bunch of poo poo happening all over the place all the time

- I've only had a few laggy matches but they were god awful and a ton of my inputs were ignored

- No friend/party matchmaking, but it's a beta so eh

- I've had to kill the game from dashboard a few times because it would poo poo itself while trying to find/connect to a match and stop responding to controller input (couldn't review/change loadout or return to main menu)

- as far as I can tell there's nothing in-game that tells you what any character's EX Skill does, so I guess you have to look it up online

- Terra's gimmick is that she has an auto-charge that powers up her next attack if you don't use any attack for 2~3 seconds, but it also needs to be charged in order to even use her Meteor HP Attack. If you try to use Meteor without charge, she gets sad and the timer resets :what:

I'm having a hard time with this game in actual matches, and it's hard to tell whether it's more that I'm bad at it (which I definitely am) or just not used to the playstyle yet. I feel like any kind of 1v1 would be helpful, whether in an unranked match or just beating up a training dummy, but I guess people playing the arcade version had to learn 3v3 from the get-go so console has to follow suit. I'll give it some more time for sure, but the previous Dissidias definitely felt more intuitive and easier to wrap my head around. I hope the full release at the very least will allow for custom controller layouts and camera controls.

I'm very glad to have found this post. I agree with everything here. Which is really sad because I loving LOVED the original Dissidia. I put easily 400+ hours into it. This is not that. Beyond everything you've mentioned, they've changed some properties that I don't like. Like the inability to dash through weak projectiles. Squall's Fated/Aerial Circle doesn't home in like it used to and that's loving me up as much as the O/X switch. I keep doing the move just short and it's embarrassing. Also apparently Squall has the ability to trigger like in FF8, but I have no idea how you're meant to pull that off.

Since the system is a bit obtuse and everyone is bad, I've had matches end in like 60 seconds. Both winning and losing. I have hope, but I'm not all that impressed with the gameplay involved. It looks very pretty and I want to like it, but that's about it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Update on my FFT playthrough: it's inferior to Vandal Hearts by quite a bit, but enjoyable.

thanks for reading.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah Dissidia NT is legit bad my dudes, and the story will probably be a watered down piss baby version of the confusing nonsense of the actual Dissidia games. Don't buy it when it releases.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

SE should bite the bullet and pay some random person to use their fanfiction as Dissidia's story.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I couldn't actually tell if NT was good or bad because I got a grand total of 3 matches connected after waiting for like 4 minutes each time just to play a slideshow and lost all interest.

Practice mode was fun for loving around but the AI literally just sits there sometimes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gologle posted:

Yeah Dissidia NT is legit bad my dudes, and the story will probably be a watered down piss baby version of the confusing nonsense of the actual Dissidia games. Don't buy it when it releases.

Well that's dissidiappointing!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Attitude Indicator posted:

Update on my FFT playthrough: it's inferior to Vandal Hearts by quite a bit, but enjoyable.

thanks for reading.

Lol

*pinches your cheek*

You're cute. :)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wanna try out the new Dissidia; but I recall my time with the PSP one and I really liked the whole concept of a crazy crossover and fights and poo poo, but I remember the game:

1. Controlled like rear end, to the point where I was never certain if I was actually causing things to happen or the autoplay system was.
2. Explained itself poorly, emphasizing the controller confusion and frustration
3. Fights took way too long since I was largely just dashing around, zapping guys, then weird things happened and...and I dunno, I won? I guess I took away all his health but why are there crystals

So is the new Dissidia at all better controlled and more understandable?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Those points all sound like you'd need a tutorial. Idk if the other Dissidia games had them, and I can't find any videos on the one in the beta, but there is a tutorial there

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Ventana posted:

Those points all sound like you'd need a tutorial. Idk if the other Dissidia games had them, and I can't find any videos on the one in the beta, but there is a tutorial there

Every dissidia had a tutorial, 012 in particular gave you the option to skip it, but then threw you into into a fight with the superboss with a level 1 Lightning and then made you take the tutorial anyway once you lost.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Every dissidia also had a ingame manual you can access at every menu screen that explained what that menu did.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The loving tutorial in the Dissidia NT beta is just a video that you can't pause so if it zooms past what you want to know you have to play the video again. The full move lists for characters are on their website and not in the game.

No joke it says something like "lets learn the interface" and then the screen lights up with descriptions for everything for like a second before skipping around.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

The GIG posted:

Every dissidia had a tutorial, 012 in particular gave you the option to skip it, but then threw you into into a fight with the superboss with a level 1 Lightning and then made you take the tutorial anyway once you lost.

That owned tbh.
I played the first dissidia, so I skipped the tutorial.

I got my rear end handed to me. :negative:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's a beta. I'll forgive it for it for not having a full blown tutorial

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've never played anything but the original translation, what did this line become?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nephzinho posted:

I've never played anything but the original translation, what did this line become?

"'Tis your faith or self that wrong you, not I"

I might have a couple of words swapped, I don't remember exactly.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Phantasium posted:

No joke it says something like "lets learn the interface" and then the screen lights up with descriptions for everything for like a second before skipping around.

Are you talking about this video? I don't think it's that bad actually, cause it breaks down each element by itself and shows the meter/buttons for it and a simple explanation, which is nice and way better than trying to parse the giant screen of meters. Not bad for a incomplete Beta anyways

The real problem I think is that the Bravery meter explanation stuff goes by WAY too fast in that video. Compared to every other section, the Bravery stuff is more important, has more details to its mechanics, has way more text in the descriptions, all while having half as much time dedicated to it as the other poo poo. I have to assume it's some localization thing where they could explain it faster in JP and they didn't alter the video timing for the english video.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nephzinho posted:

AlphaKretin posted:

"'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I."

Side by side comparison here for the good bits of chapter 1.
https://dekaja.dreamwidth.org/1675.html

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

AlphaKretin posted:

I might have a couple of words swapped, I don't remember exactly.

It should be "birth or faith," but otherwise you're right. The whole game goes for the same Ye Olde Highe Englishe that debuted in XII.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The fact that you can't pause the video is definitely bad. Honestly any tutorial that you watch instead of playing for yourself is flawed to me. The other Dissidia games definitely had proper tutorials from what I remember. They weren't all that hard to figure out either. I think I remember swapping movement from the analog to the D-Pad, but that's about it.

I've noticed 2 updates added to Dissidia NT since I downloaded it. Does anyone know what they're fixing? Hopefully it's matchmaking.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

NT is, at its very core, a team fighting game designed to catch a piece of that sweet sweet Gundam Versus money. If any of those descriptors don't inherently appeal to you, you're not gonna like it.

It's not like it ever advertised itself as anything else.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Well, technically it is advertised also as being a sequel to the other Dissidia games as well given it's still in the name, so I don't blame people who don't like it changing to a different style.

That said, I honestly thought the original Dissidia games seemed boring as hell gameplay wise. So making the game like the Gundam Versus team style makes it a lot more appealing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean it could be a fun style I just need the match to not stutter down to 5 fps a second to be able to judge.