Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

throw to first drat IT means they should have been using ropes to maneuver the load

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

i shold probably stop drunkposting about people dying on the job and go to bed

I first read that as you being drunk at your job posting about people dying and thought that is very apt. for this thread.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Anyone know what chemicals they had that had to be kept cool? Someone mentioned various organic peroxides earlier, but I'm looking for more details.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Anyone know what chemicals they had that had to be kept cool? Someone mentioned various organic peroxides earlier, but I'm looking for more details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumene_hydroperoxide

From a link in the below

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-phillydeals/philly-chemical-maker-tries-to-keep-flooded-texas-plant-from-exploding-20170830.html

I don't know if that's the only thing at the plant.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

atomicthumbs posted:

every niosh face report is a frozen tragedy, analyzed from every direction, pinned in place with needles of protocol, fixing it to the backing board by the steps that could have been taken to prevent a worker''s death. dozens of tragedies lain side by side, neatly categorized, in a table, assigned numbers. no written safety protocols. no guardrails. inadequate training. safety interlocks disabled. no confined space permit. inadequate breathing apparatus. no incident management procedure. the worker was told by his boss to ignore procedure in order to save time. the worker climbed into the machine to free the mechanism. over and over and over again, the same deaths play out in different and novel and hideous ways, taking a new life each time.

NIOSH does what it can, and in the end, that is figuring out what went wrong, and tweeting photos of incident areas, cleaned off enough to make them palatable, with cordoned off machines that tore a man to shreds, and spaces in which a man took his final, toxic breath.

Sounds the intro to some kind of show, for some reason I overlaid the law and order into music over the first part.

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich

spankmeister posted:

Is ladder logic still heavily used or have engineers moved on to "real" languages?

Ladder logic is pretty rigorous, redundant, and easy to read if you adhere to proper coding

I would never let a computer scientist ever touch code for something used in manufacturing

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I was playing through Half-Life again and I keep ticking off in my head all the things you have to do to progress that are massively stupid. I lost count of confined space entries by the time the marines showed up.

One does have to wonder, though, how many preventable deaths Black Mesa saw even when things weren't going to hell, looking at some of the architecture.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sounds like you should play Infra.

It's pretty much OSHA: The Game.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Am I the only one noticing that the direction the tracks are rotating are the same direction he's running, making this either a great optical illusion or fake as poo poo?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Zipperelli. posted:

Am I the only one noticing that the direction the tracks are rotating are the same direction he's running, making this either a great optical illusion or fake as poo poo?

I'm guessing it's an artifact of the camera sync rate

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

atomicthumbs posted:

tired: badly propped up ladder! that dude could fall off lol
wired:
Goddamn, while he probably went pretty fast, randomly falling into and drowning in a tank of light hydrocarbons as they boil around you from your body heat is not a good way to die.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Nocheez posted:

Why do we park in a driveway, but drive on a parkway!?

Someone should lower the parkway 2'.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Deleted, wrong thread

Old Swerdlow fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 31, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Old Swerdlow posted:

Anyone asking for matchmaking for raids apparently has not played the Echo Chamber strike with regular folk. Moving a ball to another place before being able to shoot at the boss is just too much for a regular person to handle when they just want to run through a level, shoot dudes and get some stuff.

This ball sounds particularly dangerous, it should be secured by tethers or similar.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Old Swerdlow posted:

Anyone asking for matchmaking for raids apparently has not played the Echo Chamber strike with regular folk. Moving a ball to another place before being able to shoot at the boss is just too much for a regular person to handle when they just want to run through a level, shoot dudes and get some stuff.

While shooting at management is often morally right, it is against regulations.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Whoops. Totally posted in the wrong thread. Thats what I get for phone posting on the toilet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Keiya posted:

I was playing through Half-Life again and I keep ticking off in my head all the things you have to do to progress that are massively stupid. I lost count of confined space entries by the time the marines showed up.

It's all above board, the hazard suit is the ultimate PPE.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

It's all above board, the hazard suit is the ultimate PPE.

No hard hat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Differing points of view

Arkema (in Houston flood): We had "two explosions followed by black smoke".
Harris County sheriff: We had a "series of chemical reactions"; he also referred to them as "a series of pops".

quote:

“I don’t want the public thinking these are massive explosions,” Royall told reporters. Attempting to explain why the plant operator called them explosions while local authorities did not, Royall said: “We’re on the same page. It’s a matter of terminology. I call it a chemical reaction and an overpressure of the container.”

Gonzalez, the sheriff, said at a news briefing that the fumes created by the chemical reaction are “not anything toxic; it is not anything that we feel is a danger to the community at all.”

But federal authorities used dire language to describe the impact of those fumes: The chemical plume in Crosby is “incredibly dangerous,” William “Brock” Long, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said at a briefing Thursday morning.

The plant in Crosby manufactures organic peroxides, a family of compounds used in everything from pharmaceuticals to construction materials such as counter tops and pipes.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Whoops. Totally posted in the wrong thread. Thats what I get for phone posting on the toilet.

that's how you get pink eye

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

This has been posted before, but worth seeing for those who skipped a bunch of pages.

Safety cage for inflating a large tire.

https://i.imgur.com/20MQV95.mp4

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Three-Phase posted:

Newer stuff allows you to combine ladder with things like structured text and function blocks. Ladder logic is still very useful because it's very easy to program and understand. The problems is that as you want to do more complicated stuff it can get clumsy.

Also with some of the software you can make changes while the system is live, not turning the PLC into PROGRAM mode, programming, and then back to RUN mode, but you have to be extremely careful.

Also there are companies that aren't using PLCs as much and are more working with Distributed Control Systems, or DCS. If you have a small factory and a couple of standalone machines or a small assembly line, PLCs work great. If you are running an oil refinery, public utility, or power plant, you will have some PLCs but also a larger DCS network. We're talking about combining:

• Remote I/O (input/output) devices
  • Networked PLCs
  • Floor HMI (human/machine interface)
  • Control room operation controls
  • Alarm management and response
  • Process monitoring and statistics
  • Resource monitoring (electricity, fuel, raw materials)
  • System security

It can get really complicated.

Yeah, I'm making one machine that sometimes has to tie into a DCS and boy howdy, do I hate them with a passion. I just want my machine to sit fat, dumb, and happy without anybody bothering me about the 50 points they need over the dumb communications protocol of the week holding up commissioning and thus me being able to go home and sleep in my own drat bed.

But yeah, on-line editing is a lifesaver. On our safety critical application, we have it where if the switch is anywhere other than RUN mode, the machine can't operate to keep people like me from being a doofus around it.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

axolotl farmer posted:

This has been posted before, but worth seeing for those who skipped a bunch of pages.

idgi. Did they purposely overinflate that tire to burst just to show off the cage?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Zipperelli. posted:

idgi. Did they purposely overinflate that tire to burst just to show off the cage?

Yes.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Differing points of view

Arkema (in Houston flood): We had "two explosions followed by black smoke".
Harris County sheriff: We had a "series of chemical reactions"; he also referred to them as "a series of pops".

The company is doing the responsible thing (for now) reporting the truth, warning of more to come and telling people to get out?! The local government is playing trying it down as nothing while looking like complete idiots? Never thought I would see that combination.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

oohhboy posted:

The company is doing the responsible thing (for now) reporting the truth, warning of more to come and telling people to get out?! The local government is playing trying it down as nothing while looking like complete idiots? Never thought I would see that combination.

It occurs to me that the sheriff is trying to prevent mass flight in an area it's currently impossible to evacuate due to flood. He still needs more practice in lying.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Zipperelli. posted:

Yeah, it's a video from the cage manufacturer basically going "look how good our cages are! buy them plz".

Lmao @ any shop using them, when I worked in a tire shop we'd have to do some sketchy poo poo sometimes. I lost track of the amount of heavy duty trucks I worked on where the operating pressure was like 80 psi, but the dumbass owner ran them at 150, which is the max rated pressure molded on the tire sidewall. And that's cold pressure, so on the road they heat up and pressurize well above that. It was always a joy gingerly reaching over the tire to undo the valve stem; I had a few valve cores turn into high-speed missiles when they unthreaded and flew out.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It occurs to me that the sheriff is trying to prevent mass flight in an area it's currently impossible to evacuate due to flood. He still needs more practice in lying.

But he didn't need to lie nor did anybody else from the local government. Next time they say something less people are going to believe them because they were such transparent idiots. If I was putting out a statement:

"While the situation at the plant is critical the local authorities and the company are doing all they can to contain the situation. Shelter in place and should you be in the danger zone we will do our best to evacuate those inside."

Still they were better than Trump saying "Good luck".

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

axolotl farmer posted:

It's very considerate to put ready-made shrapnel around the cage in case it failed.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Taerkar posted:

It's very considerate to put ready-made shrapnel around the cage in case it failed.

And the gas. Are they inflating it with CO2? That's what it looks like to me. We used N2 instead of air at the truck place I worked at before. I've never heard of CO2 being used.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Are Houston's zoning laws any more rigorous than the rest of Texas?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Volcott posted:

Are Houston's zoning laws any more rigorous than the rest of Texas?
Houston is infamous for having pretty much none at all, and having industrial plants in the middle of residential neighborhoods.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's not an explosion god

https://twitter.com/KagroX/status/903276082413043712

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

all we know is the officer was on the scene, a gun was drawn and during the proceedings five children became deceased

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Explosions in a technical sense have certain expectations on magnitude and extent of the pressure wave. It's sort of useful to be able to distinguish between gonna knock your windows out and blow your ears out vs it popped and is now burning off a smog feeding pillar of smoke.

That it's not flattening buildings in an explosion and just conflagrating is a small triumph with low enough expectations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yeah, but I'm betting that the people who actually run the plant have a better understanding of whether it was an explosion than the local sheriff does. Unless he's a retired chem eng or something.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'm sorry, did we say explosion? We meant violent explosive decompression resulting in fire. I hope this clear up the misunderstanding, all is well.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Significant Ant posted:

Ladder logic is pretty rigorous, redundant, and easy to read if you adhere to proper coding

I would never let a computer scientist ever touch code for something used in manufacturing

"I think we can replace all these janky old PLCs with something close to the metal. Have you ever heard of node.js?"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, but I'm betting that the people who actually run the plant have a better understanding of whether it was an explosion than the local sheriff does. Unless he's a retired chem eng or something.
Seems like conflicting info from similar sources, the tweet I quoted sourced Arkema as saying it wasn't exploding even after their Twitter said it was exploding.

My rule of thumb is an explosion ends with something knocked over. The behavior so far is interesting and dangerous for the conflagration and uncontrolled release of random reactive chemicals not because it's been knocking things over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Explosions imply bombs. There were no bombs here. It was just a sudden release of a pressure wave and planned demolition of outdated facilities. Release of toxins was acceptable by newly enacted EPA regulations, just yesterday, as a matter of fact by Executive Order.