Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Oh, silly me. I forgot all about the Mark/Christmas blow-up from last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Truthfully, I don't even know when it happened. There was the fight they had over Mark whispering to Cody, which I think must have happened last week because it was when Cody was making a deal with Elena to use POV on her. But then they also fought after CerealGate which must have happened later in the week?

This whole season is a treadmill of the same fights happening over and over again. I can only begin to try and remember when things happening by figuring out where Jody were at the time.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Also Mark is demonstratively good at challenges, he just beefed it on the last POV. He's vulnerable, may as well go for it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PREVIOUSLY ON... WAIT, ARE JODY REALLY GONE? THIS ISN'T A TRICK? I'VE BEEN LIED TO SO MANY TIMES!

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Everyone is starting to plot their path to the end (with Paul)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mark's problem is that same Jody "I've never gone against you" line he includes in every game talk.

Well... dude, you were scheming against them last week. You admitted to it. It would be one thing to forgive that and move on because you think working with Mark might be good, but when Mark/Jody constantly do that "no, I never turned on you" thing it just erodes all trust.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

That Matt speech was pretty great.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What's with the two hinky votes?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Schrodinger's Mark: the flip-flopping floater who was also in an alliance with the wrong people

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mark is cursed with Rachelitis where he can't ever fully accept that he was a floater because he's convinced "floaters" are cowardly people who throw everything and deserve no respect.

Thus he's the flip flopper who was super loyal to his power alliance... when they were in power.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

lmao Kevin's mustard spray jammed and Alex got double the mustard as a result.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How has no one figured out that Paul is completely dominating the game?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Orange Sunshine posted:

They have, they've just also been evicted immediately.

Ramses was onto Paul almost from the start. Even Jess in her immediate eviction interview with Julie pointed it out. It's too bad she never bothered trying to play, or win the game, or anything.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Orange Sunshine posted:

Ehhh I think it's actually in the back of everyone's minds. The problem is everyone wants to ride his coat tails for the time being.

As people go up on the block and start campaigning for votes, they might compare notes and realize just how much he's got his fingers in every pie. I mean, I think he's got final 4 or 5 deals with like 3 different combos of people.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Orange Sunshine posted:

Not really because he basically hasn't. STAC Goat, our resident feeds transcriber, had a pretty good break down for exactly what Paul has done this season and why he isn't actually a big target. It boils down to the fact that Paul hasn't really done anything but figure out who the majority of the house was mad at and align himself with the house and stoke those flames. Cody, Jess, Dom, Elena, and Mark all made targets out of themselves by pissing off just about everyone else in the house. Paul was the convenient scapegoat because none of those people, save for Mark, were willing to admit they were some of the worst BB players ever and that no one had any reason to bow to their will. So clearly they were on the outs because Paul is a dominator and not because they played self centered, awful games.

Honestly, at this point, Alex and Jason are the only power duo left and they have a bunch of comp wins between them. Paul is literally a floater this season and it is hilarious to see so many people think he is running the game because he happens to listen to the other HGs when the complain about each other and then join in himself.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Not really because he basically hasn't. STAC Goat, our resident feeds transcriber, had a pretty good break down for exactly what Paul has done this season and why he isn't actually a big target. It boils down to the fact that Paul hasn't really done anything but figure out who the majority of the house was mad at and align himself with the house and stoke those flames. Cody, Jess, Dom, Elena, and Mark all made targets out of themselves by pissing off just about everyone else in the house. Paul was the convenient scapegoat because none of those people, save for Mark, were willing to admit they were some of the worst BB players ever and that no one had any reason to bow to their will. So clearly they were on the outs because Paul is a dominator and not because they played self centered, awful games.

Honestly, at this point, Alex and Jason are the only power duo left and they have a bunch of comp wins between them. Paul is literally a floater this season and it is hilarious to see so many people think he is running the game because he happens to listen to the other HGs when the complain about each other and then join in himself.

This is all fair, but the one thing I will say in support of Paul as the "king of the house" argument, is that everyone seems to go out of their way to appease him at every opportunity. They give him safety, pick him for veto comps, don't select him in the elimination comps, etc.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
He has the advantage of prior game knowledge which does give him a leg up on everyone. It's why it was kinda unfair to put just one vet in the game. They ask Paul what's going on with pretty much every aspect of the game and take his word that he knows what he's talking about based on an entire prior season's worth of experience. Even if he's just telling them what they already know.

What Paul is actually really good at though is feeding people information under the guise that it was their idea and/or common sense. It's something they try to teach you in sales about making it seem as if your idea is actually their idea.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bucswabe posted:

This is all fair, but the one thing I will say in support of Paul as the "king of the house" argument, is that everyone seems to go out of their way to appease him at every opportunity. They give him safety, pick him for veto comps, don't select him in the elimination comps, etc.

He gets along decently with everyone and since he was the clear target of the house targets for more than a month, they didn't want to risk him since half the house thinks they have him specifically in their corner.

Mahoning posted:

He has the advantage of prior game knowledge which does give him a leg up on everyone. It's why it was kinda unfair to put just one vet in the game. They ask Paul what's going on with pretty much every aspect of the game and take his word that he knows what he's talking about based on an entire prior season's worth of experience. Even if he's just telling them what they already know.

What Paul is actually really good at though is feeding people information under the guise that it was their idea and/or common sense. It's something they try to teach you in sales about making it seem as if your idea is actually their idea.

Meh. Christmas and Josh were not on the same page as Paul during Josh's HOH. Paul didn't change that. Cody and Jess blowing up for the umpteenth time did. Likewise Paul didn't orchestrate Dom's downfall, Dom did because she kept sketching people out and proving Paul right to everyone. Similarly, Mark and Elena went out of their way to prove Paul right about his assumptions about them. He really hasn't convinced anyone to make any weird game decisions based on lies. The worst he can be accused of is keeping people focused on clear targets since most of the people who play BB seem to be ADD cases. And he hasn't had to do much for that since every single major target has blown up their own game with everyone else first.

The house, aside from Kevin, has been broken into pairs for a while now and most of his allies view Paul as their loner third. Why would they risk their third wheel? As far as they have seen, he's loyal and competent, and has actually been right 99% of the time. He's a good ally for them to have, which is why they want him around. Matt and Raven should be the only people terrified of him as a couple since he doesn't seem super tight with them. Same can be said for Kevin as a loner. And they haven't ever had power so who knows what they would do if they were HOH.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 25, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In addition, even if they realize Paul is in a great spot and playing all angles (which they all know to some extent or another) it's still a question of whether Paul is a big enough threat to them than anthoer duo or player is. Taking out the biggest player in the game isn't inherently the right move. Taking out the pieces that clear you a path to the end are. If Paul is in your way you should target him, but he's done a great job convincing everyone he's on their side. And even if trusting him backfires on someone like Kevin or Maven this week it's not like Paul was the main reason they'd be in trouble.

Paul's going to make it to F5 or 4. That's been obvious for awhile. Thats when things are going to get tricky and he'll probably have to pull off some key wins or else he gets booted out like Vanessa or so many other big threats who only got so far.

There's also another aspect of Jury Management and it's worth noting stuff like how last week Christmas and Josh who have fought with Mark all season spent the week trying to heal those wounds and tell him how much respect they had for him and the way he was handling things. Paul picked fights with Mark over him defending Cody constantly and being a "hypocrite". I don't know that that's enough to affect the jury vote but it's another factor to consider when we talk about how much Paul is "running the game".

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Paul's going to make it to F5 or 4. That's been obvious for awhile. Thats when things are going to get tricky and he'll probably have to pull off some key wins or else he gets booted out like Vanessa or so many other big threats who only got so far.

If Paul makes it to the final 4 with Raven, Josh, and Christmas, he'll likely win every competition afterwards. Raven and Josh are dumb, Christmas isn't even allowed to compete most of the time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Christmas ditched her cast this week and could be cleared to walk on it within a week. She still won't be able to do any serious physical comps but something like the F4 POV is theoretically within her capabilities. F4 HOH is always mental. There's still face morph. Its a crap shoot of what she'll be able to compete it, but she's past most of the heavy physical ones before F4 HOH.

I'd argue that Josh and Raven, despite any number of emotional or personality flaws, haven't really shown themselves to be "dumb" at all. They've both fared reasonably well in comps and I think they're more than a little underrated because fans just like to hate.

I actually think Josh is the single most underrated player of the season in part due to his over the top behavior and in large part because of the bashing from fans and HGs like Jody and Mark. Going all the way back to Week 1 Josh has had a good grasp of who he can trust, who to stay loyal to, and after Paul probably has the safest group of allies in the house. Even a lot of his clown/bully antics have been strategic in nature to try and make others make mistakes and make Josh a big old weapon/shield for his allies they want to keep around.

That being said some combination of Christmas, Josh, Raven, and Kevin is clearly Paul's best case end game and gives him the best chance for winning. But the only way he pulls that off is by taking out Alex and Jason over the next two weeks. That's not a cake walk by any measure. That was Vanessa's problem. She ran a pretty excellent, if chaotic, game most of the season but she couldn't get the exact end game matchups she wanted and needed and it ultimately cost her (not just at F3 when she was voted out, but before that when she had to burn AusTwins as jury votes because she couldn't go to F4 with them).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Wow I love that Josh called out Matt (in the DR) for running his mouth during the HOH comp. like, Matt, I realize that it's annoying that two allies are competing with each other (and you and your showmance partner are out) but I don't think bitching at the only two people who can still win HOH is going to do anything to help you go further in the game. What a little bitch. Sorry you couldn't change into your cutoff shirt and eat cereal 10 min sooner.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Matt had to be salty about the two votes against him and the fact that no one was willing to talk to Raven when she tried to cut a deal. Matt's an entitled brat and its easy not to see his side of things since he's been such a non factor in the game, but in fairness if I was on the block and 2 of my allies had just voted against me I'd probably be in a mood too.

Not that that justifies him being a baby about it or creating a scene and yelling at the two people battling it out for HOH. That was just dumb and I was pulling for them to stay up just to gently caress with him.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I just want to throw out there that BB put Raven on blast more than they did Cody, who has actually said some seriously awful things. Or Jess for that matter.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have an inverted spine is one of the best moments of the season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That segment was great, but her mumbling montage had me laughing my rear end off. That was up there with that sleep talking montage (was that last summer or further back?)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Last summer.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

That segment was great, but her mumbling montage had me laughing my rear end off. That was up there with that sleep talking montage (was that last summer or further back?)
Come to think of it... BB18 Corey sleep mumbled something about Harry Potter too, right?

There's a theme here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Millenials really, really love Harry Potter and its been like a major part of their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuylLtphbR4

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Man, Kevin is the worst.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Man, Kevin is the worst.
Kevin is great but he royally sucks at this game. And Jason's intuition was right per usual (he just shows his cards to everyone too much and is easily influenced by Alex). Kevin was gonna get burned if he put him up. Alex might very well be done with Jason (probably not) which is fine because Jason has a fall back pair in Kevin which really puts her and Raven as forced to work with each other once Matt bounces and they can't stand one another. Kevin pretty much has to win the next HOH not only for resume building but to save his own skin. When once Kevin was the goat to bring with you to the end for an easy win is now occupied by Raven and Xtree to a lesser extent.

Paul can still pick and choose where to float where the numbers go. Infuriating season to say the least.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Robnoxious posted:

Kevin is great but he royally sucks at this game. And Jason's intuition was right per usual (he just shows his cards to everyone too much and is easily influenced by Alex). Kevin was gonna get burned if he put him up. Alex might very well be done with Jason (probably not) which is fine because Jason has a fall back pair in Kevin which really puts her and Raven as forced to work with each other once Matt bounces and they can't stand one another. Kevin pretty much has to win the next HOH not only for resume building but to save his own skin. When once Kevin was the goat to bring with you to the end for an easy win is now occupied by Raven and Xtree to a lesser extent.

Paul can still pick and choose where to float where the numbers go. Infuriating season to say the least.

Alex has a better pair with Paul if she splits with Jason, and Jason just gave Paul two easy new targets on a silver platter. While Jason was right about what Alex and Paul were doing, he made the absolute wrong decision. You've got 5 people wanting and expecting you to backstab Kevin, because you said you would, and now you are going to burn them all to protect a dude who has accomplished nothing in this game. Absolutely baffling. Once again Paul has to do exactly nothing but watch as someone else torpedoes their own game again. Alex could actually use this to get much further into the game if she does the smart thing and ditches Jason, but she probably won't because I am fairly certain Paul and Christmas are the only people capable of rational thought left in the game.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Alex has a better pair with Paul if she splits with Jason, and Jason just gave Paul two easy new targets on a silver platter. While Jason was right about what Alex and Paul were doing, he made the absolute wrong decision. You've got 5 people wanting and expecting you to backstab Kevin, because you said you would, and now you are going to burn them all to protect a dude who has accomplished nothing in this game. Absolutely baffling.
Not at all baffling, Jason cottoned on correctly that Kevin could be a bounce if on the block. Before that, it was always "Rah rah Matt to go!" but the subtle nuances shifted slightly and he was keenly aware and reacted accordingly. Some of the best feed moments have been between Kevin & Jason on their morning walks because it's never about game and always about the real world and the observations are funny as gently caress. Now that doesn't a good game player make but Jason was never going to burn a friend for sake of game. That's somewhat commendable even if it's foolhardy. Certainly not winner's edit worthy but admirable.

Jason has a whole heap of other problems coming to his plate if you've read TMZ/Daily Caller/People/US Weekly as of late.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I dunno, I just don't see what is commendable about a husband and father, who just recently learned he will soon have a second child, risking a $500k prize to save a "friend" he just met 68 days ago from a 50/50 chance of losing the game. I mean, maybe it makes sense if Jason just flat out does not need 500k, and with the way most people play this game, I am starting assume that BB does not cast people who actually need or want $500,000.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jason's biggest problem has always been his need to please everyone. Its fine for him to not want to risk Kevin. That's arguably the right game move for him since Kevin is at worst a jury vote and at best a valuable number late in the game and putting him up could have blown that. But Jason should have figured that out at the start of his HOH and not agreed to put Kevin up to his allies, told Maven they were pawns, and promised Raven to take her down. Hell even throwing the POV would have been an option since then Kevin would have had to throw someone under the bus to go up in his place or something.

Jason doesn't think stuff out and feels the need to placate people. He's been doing it since he lied to Christmas in Week 1 about voting to keep her and its clearly just a personality trait. And I think its a fine trait. Jason doesn't want to upset people or fight. But you can't please everyone in the Big Brother game and players like Jason who play good social games, win trust, and promise to have someone's back tend to be the ones who get the most blow back when they backstab someone because they really bought in to the relationship.

And please don't encourage people to read the Daily Caller. Like, TMZ is bad enough, but the Daily Caller? Really?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Alert, alert. We're getting to "Jessica threw her game away for Cody" territory. We all remember that great Jessica game that definitely existed.

Paul wanted Jason out before this week. Jason is a huge comp, jury, social etc. threat. But Paul is still closer to every single person in the house than Jason, maybe even Kevin. You know what would have been good for Jason? Making more deals. Winning less comps for "the house." Not parceling out his entire strategy to Alex. Those aren't mistakes that just started on Thursday.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not sure what you're criticizing exactly but Jessica DID throw her game away for Cody. She just did in it in Week 1, not Week 5. She threw Jury away for Cody in Week 5 (which in fairness could have led to a recovered game depending on how stuff played).

Jason and Alex were definitely always going to be targets next week and could well have been on the block this week if they hadn't won HOH.

But Jason didn't do himself any favors and made it a lot easier to justify next week. Suddenly throwing HOH to Raven and letting her do the dirty work posed as justified revenge becomes an enticing option for Paul, Christmas, and Josh.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno, I just don't see what is commendable about a husband and father, who just recently learned he will soon have a second child, risking a $500k prize to save a "friend" he just met 68 days ago from a 50/50 chance of losing the game. I mean, maybe it makes sense if Jason just flat out does not need 500k, and with the way most people play this game, I am starting assume that BB does not cast people who actually need or want $500,000.
Oh come on now, this post is really too much. Someone actually doing something in their own best interest for once is now a boneheaded move throwing away their own game? Did you think Alex knew what the hell she was talking about and had Jason's best game interests in mind during those confessionals? Come on.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

Oh come on now, this post is really too much. Someone actually doing something in their own best interest for once is now a boneheaded move throwing away their own game? Did you think Alex knew what the hell she was talking about and had Jason's best game interests in mind during those confessionals? Come on.

It's not about Alex having Jason's best interests in her mind, it's Jason having the house expecting him to put Kevin up because he basically said that would happen, and then deciding that going against the house and his word was a good choice. Jason was already a target because of his wins and his known duo with Alex, but he just solidified himself as a massive target by handing the whole house the excuse that he can't be trusted either. Jason had a decent thing going with Alex, and with his ability to win comps, the absolute smartest thing to do is keep booting the easy targets and let the house do what they want until he has no choice but to start picking off people from the group he's with.

Deciding Kevin is going to be his new ride or die, which is what he basically just did, when he kind of already openly has one, is a terrible move, especially because Kevin hasn't won anything. Jason cannot protect both himself and Kevin if they both have huge targets on their backs, though with the stupid tree, it might actually be possible, so I guess we'll see. The whole point of having a duo, or a goat for the end, is that usually you kind of don't want too much attention brought to it.

My point is that making unilateral decisions that go against your prior word and go against the majority of the house is objectively bad. So good luck to Jason on playing in and winning every comp he can for the rest of the summer, unless someone else blows up and takes the heat off of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Really he should have found a way to throw that comp so he wouldn't be on the hook for how the veto got used.

• Locked thread