Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:eyepop:

why would you even send that to a teacher

The teacher might've been the cause. :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey on the bright side, when she comes back to class she'll be the only person there who definitely doesn't have bumps all over her rear end in a top hat.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

milk milk lemonade posted:

I mean if you're using Exchange they can just recall the message through Outlook. I hope you at least explored this option unless you aren't using O365 just kidding I'd tell them to drop the class haha

It was through the learning system we're contracted with. We do have the ability to retract any e-mail notifications the students would have gotten about it, but they'd still see it once they went to the actual website. This becomes problematic when a dumb professor accidentally commits a FERPA violation by sending a student's private information to an entire course, which seems to happen a few times every semester.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

milk milk lemonade posted:

I mean if you're using Exchange they can just recall the message through Outlook. I hope you at least explored this option unless you aren't using O365 just kidding I'd tell them to drop the class haha

I'd tell them to email me pics or I wouldn't let them slide.

Knowing what would happen...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Speaking as a college professor:

either
- the professor requested the information, which is a huge violation of any university's ethics code, or
- the student volunteered the information, which is inexplicable. why would the professor want to know about the bumps on your rear end in a top hat

We have an office devoted to working with students who have medical issues or disabilities, where they will determine what sort of accommodation the student requires, and then tell me "so-and-so needs an extra week on this project" or whatever. There's no reason that the professor should ever be trying to determine how much time rear end in a top hat Bumps set you back on your essay

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Don't blow this out of proportion, most people feel the need to tell you why they are on sick leave, so she probably just wrote "I'm going to be out from x to y for my hemorrhoid surgery". I think I am the only person that just calls in and says 'SIck until at least x' at my company, instead of saying "I did stupid thing z, broke my leg, got aids and then also contracted the flu".

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Danyull posted:

I just got a call from a student who accidentally hit "Reply to all" on a message from her teacher to the class. She was begging me for some way to delete the message retroactively, which we don't have the ability to do, and started crying because she was going to drop the class out of embarrassment.

The girl sent a message to her entire class about how she would be out for a few weeks because she had bumps on her rear end in a top hat that required surgery.

drat.
a fellow student and friend of mine did something similar. We had to find an internship. and the school provided a list with e-mail addresses to whom we can apply.
That guy made a generic "i'm applying to your company e-mail" he entered every email address and didn't put them in the bcc. So every company saw that he applied to them all at once. The responses he got were loving hilarious. The companies kept replying with reply all. Some felt bad and invited him in for a interview. And yes, one even hired him for the internship

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Why can't a single vHost on Apache have multiple SSL certs? Shouldn't it be possible to server a SSL cert basked on the ServerAlias? We have a website that has 5 different domains that go to one Typo3. We are planning to activate HTTPS and I'm wrecking my brain trying ti figure out if this is possible without redirecting the other 4. Can anyone break this down for me?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Why can't a single vHost on Apache have multiple SSL certs? Shouldn't it be possible to server a SSL cert basked on the ServerAlias? We have a website that has 5 different domains that go to one Typo3. We are planning to activate HTTPS and I'm wrecking my brain trying ti figure out if this is possible without redirecting the other 4. Can anyone break this down for me?

You can put multiple Subject Alternate Name into a single certificate. Remember that all domain names that can serve the site need to be listed there, including the "primary" name, otherwise some recent browsers will reject it.

Otherwise if you already have the certificates, or your provider won't sign multi-name certificates, you need to create a vhost for each cert and possibly redirect them all to a primary name.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

nielsm posted:

You can put multiple Subject Alternate Name into a single certificate. Remember that all domain names that can serve the site need to be listed there, including the "primary" name, otherwise some recent browsers will reject it.

Otherwise if you already have the certificates, or your provider won't sign multi-name certificates, you need to create a vhost for each cert and possibly redirect them all to a primary name.

I know that, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around why I can't just have 3 certs for example.com example1.com and example2.com and server them depending on which site the user goes to. With SNI this seems perfectly doable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can with SNI but you need separate vhosts for that. I don't see the problem, really

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

spankmeister posted:

You can with SNI but you need separate vhosts for that. I don't see the problem, really

I was thinking aobut pointing multiple vHosts at the Typo, but I can't find anything reassuring me that this won't lead to issues because of the instances interfering.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Why not set up a few reverse proxies pointing to the one instance?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

spankmeister posted:

Why not set up a few reverse proxies pointing to the one instance?

This is the only clean-ish solution I could think off but really I'll just force them to use redirects because what they have built is a horrible abomination anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I do redirection with AWS S3 buckets. SSL is taken care of by a CloudFront instance with a free AWS cert loaded.

Maybe overkill but it costs £gently caress all.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5xvwPa3r7M

Christ, Linus.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Of course that guy is wearing socks with sandals

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Wait wait wait...

They have a surgery that can remove the bumps from your rear end in a top hat?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Knormal posted:

Wait wait wait...

They have a surgery that can remove the bumps from your rear end in a top hat?

only for cute females under the age of 22

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SeaborneClink posted:

M-m...Moey is that you??

Hey now!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why would anyone want to remove the bumps from your rear end in a top hat they're the best part of the rear end in a top hat.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Depends how big the bumps are.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

scrubs season six posted:

Why would anyone want to remove the bumps from your rear end in a top hat they're the best part of the rear end in a top hat.

Not then they're hemorrhoids :(

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Why do you guys keep getting riled up over Linus? It's an entertainment channel. Obviously he's just goofing around.

Do I watch it? Hell yeah. I love to follow their oddball antics.

(I'm also a sucker for tech podcasts where the hosts just kick back and relax. I really dig The WAN Show, VergeCast, and Trends with Benefits. Please tell me if there are other shows like that)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
IDK, my problem with Linus is his pretending to be scientific and acting like he is an authority on things when just about everything that company produces is SO loving WRONG.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I mean, I pay the two bux for Floatplane because I admit he’s entertaining, but honestly socks with sandals are a like that should not be crossed.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

SEKCobra posted:

IDK, my problem with Linus is his pretending to be scientific and acting like he is an authority on things when just about everything that company produces is SO loving WRONG.

This ^

If the channel had "This is a parody tech channel" on the front or in the name. Cool. But giving bad advice to people while faking being an authority figure is a dick move. I'd be walked out (and laughed out) of my current job if I told a customer to stripe 3 RAID-5 arrays then software chain a RAID-0 across those 3 RAIDs for their business as "best practice for maximum redundancy and speed."

Malek fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 1, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Last night I had to get someone back into their computer who'd managed to set a Windows 10 password in Arabic characters without having an Arabic keyboard layout available at the login screen. :toot:

Thank goodness for the dumb osk.exe trick.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Crowley posted:

Why do you guys keep getting riled up over Linus? It's an entertainment channel. Obviously he's just goofing around.

I assume it is because his personality (or the one he puts on for videos) is annoying.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

I used it about a month ago to reset DSRM password on client's failing DC, it never ceases to amaze me.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I love audit trails.

Me: Here's an email copying a bunch of folks who asked about a project. I informed them that we canceled the project in April and they seem not to have gotten the memo.
Boss: Why are you even having this conversation with them? You need to speak with me before you start these kinds of topics.
Me: I didn't start anything--they scheduled a meeting with me to check the status of a project they thought we were working on for the past four months. Let's just check the project queue logs...oh hey, looks like you canceled the project and neglected to inform them.
Boss: [no response]

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Macaroni posted:

I love audit trails.

Me: Here's an email copying a bunch of folks who asked about a project. I informed them that we canceled the project in April and they seem not to have gotten the memo.
Boss: Why are you even having this conversation with them? You need to speak with me before you start these kinds of topics.
Me: I didn't start anything--they scheduled a meeting with me to check the status of a project they thought we were working on for the past four months. Let's just check the project queue logs...oh hey, looks like you canceled the project and neglected to inform them.
Boss: [no response]

Audits are really nice to have. :allears:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

The Macaroni posted:

I love audit trails.

Thats ENTRAPMENT, son!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Thats ENTRAPMENT, son!

Entraudit

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So, last week we had 852 calls+emails spread across the entire week. This week, I mentioned we expired all passwords? Monday through Thursday combined has had 986 calls and emails. So assuming the additional volume is all password stuff, I'm actually surprised it's only ~200-250 extra interactions. I really thought it was going to be worse.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Thats ENTRAPMENT, son!
The hilarious thing is that she's the one who instituted a nice project management suite that tracks all this stuff. We used to have this miserable Excel spreadsheet that we shared across 19 people in 3 locations. Which meant half the time it was locked/read-only, and frequently became corrupted.

2 weeks from today to :yotj:. Boss is being really snippy and I find it more hilarious than anything. I'm burning exactly one bridge during my last few days here, and it's with her.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The Macaroni posted:

2 weeks from today to :yotj:. Boss is being really snippy and I find it more hilarious than anything.

This is a reminder that at the Tony job I walked out, a few days later the COO asked me to come back, and when I eventually found my pod job and gave my 2 weeks notice my boss decided that was the perfect time to be a right prick to me.

So I walked out again. The first job I ever quit twice! :banjo:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Entropic posted:

Huh. I'd never thought to use osk.exe for whatever reason. I've always used sethc.exe.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So, last week we had 852 calls+emails spread across the entire week. This week, I mentioned we expired all passwords? Monday through Thursday combined has had 986 calls and emails. So assuming the additional volume is all password stuff, I'm actually surprised it's only ~200-250 extra interactions. I really thought it was going to be worse.

Well, with the passwords expired, they don't have email access, so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

This is a reminder that at the Tony job I walked out, a few days later the COO asked me to come back, and when I eventually found my pod job and gave my 2 weeks notice my boss decided that was the perfect time to be a right prick to me.

So I walked out again. The first job I ever quit twice! :banjo:

Oh man, Tony. I remember that guy.

Do you have any more info from them or do you no longer have any spies in the midst?

• Locked thread