Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Thanatosian posted:

My mom is retiring this year. She will be turning 65 on December 29th, and would like to retire around Thanksgiving. Should she just shell out for COBRA for a month, or is there an easy way to get gap coverage of some sort?

You can ask your HR department to write you a month of coverage. I had a start date of July 1 and wouldn't have been enrolled for benefits until September 1 but they were willing to write me gap coverage - if she's on good terms with her place of employment it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You can ask your HR department to write you a month of coverage. I had a start date of July 1 and wouldn't have been enrolled for benefits until September 1 but they were willing to write me gap coverage - if she's on good terms with her place of employment it wouldn't hurt to ask.

She works for a non-profit and is under a lot of the same regulations that state employees are, so I'm not sure if that will be an option, but I'll have her ask.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thanatosian posted:

She works for a non-profit and is under a lot of the same regulations that state employees are, so I'm not sure if that will be an option, but I'll have her ask.

Otherwise, just do the COBRA for a month and bridge that gap. It'll be hard to find comparable cheap enough insurance that provides the same coverage as the employer plan. Its doable, but hard to match premium she's used to.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know the conventional wisdom is "get as much insurance as you can afford," but I think I'm overdoing it at this point. I've got a '99 Subaru that's probably worth about $1500 judging by Craigslist. State Farm has raised my rates by 15% since January. It's now $80/mo for $500 deductible comprehensive. I'm really considering reducing coverage to liability and uninsured motorist. Would that be a bad idea?

I'm sure these two things matter: We do have a second car, so I could get to work until I could get a replacement. And if worst comes to worst, I could buy a $3000 beater Prius/Civic Hybrid/Civic at effectively no cost to myself (company reimbursement).

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know the conventional wisdom is "get as much insurance as you can afford," but I think I'm overdoing it at this point. I've got a '99 Subaru that's probably worth about $1500 judging by Craigslist. State Farm has raised my rates by 15% since January. It's now $80/mo for $500 deductible comprehensive. I'm really considering reducing coverage to liability and uninsured motorist. Would that be a bad idea?

I'm sure these two things matter: We do have a second car, so I could get to work until I could get a replacement. And if worst comes to worst, I could buy a $3000 beater Prius/Civic Hybrid/Civic at effectively no cost to myself (company reimbursement).

Drop physical damage coverage, not liability. UM is really cheap for the coverage you get and you'll be reeeeeeally happy you have it if you ever need it. State Farm is raising rates everywhere because they're bleeding out of every orifice in the auto market just like every other carrier. Expect another bump next year, albeit a smaller one.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 27, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I meant that I'm planning on going to just having liability and UM, since a $500 deductible on collision is 1/3 the total value of the car.

I keep forgetting to call USAA during the business day, so I'm hoping someone can answer this. My wife's grandfather was a Marine, is that enough to qualify? What sort of proof would we need?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I meant that I'm planning on going to just having liability and UM, since a $500 deductible on collision is 1/3 the total value of the car.

I keep forgetting to call USAA during the business day, so I'm hoping someone can answer this. My wife's grandfather was a Marine, is that enough to qualify? What sort of proof would we need?

Im actually not sure if you qualify. Id probably just call and ask.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I figured that's the best way. It's just the best way I've been forgetting for two weeks now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

When I looked into it, if you're getting it through parentage, they need to be a USAA member, too.

It's been awhile, though, may have changed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. I don't think they are on it. Not sure why, it might be because said grandfather hated the military after he got out. He wouldn't let his sons own army man figurines, touch guns, and I'm pretty sure he would have disowned them if they signed up. It might have been his wishes or something. I'll find out.

Czolgosz
Sep 13, 2007
I'll be the Lee Harvey Oswald to your Jack Kennedy.
A while back I bought a flipped place in a hot market, knowing full well that there would be plenty of issues with it down the road. Some of those issues have now reared their head, and I'm working with the Board of Directors in my building for some solutions. One member raised the idea of making a claim on our building's master insurance policy.

I think I already know the answer here, but I may as well ask: are structural issues that have resulted from renovations that occurred prior to purchase (and which were not manifestly apparent during inspections) usually covered by a master insurance policy? Or maybe by individual unit owners' policies?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Czolgosz posted:

A while back I bought a flipped place in a hot market, knowing full well that there would be plenty of issues with it down the road. Some of those issues have now reared their head, and I'm working with the Board of Directors in my building for some solutions. One member raised the idea of making a claim on our building's master insurance policy.

I think I already know the answer here, but I may as well ask: are structural issues that have resulted from renovations that occurred prior to purchase (and which were not manifestly apparent during inspections) usually covered by a master insurance policy? Or maybe by individual unit owners' policies?

In most cases, no. You would have to file a construction defect claim against the contractor(s) who did the renovating.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Czolgosz posted:

Depending on the nature of the defect and how your state defines an "occurrence" it may or may not fall within the building's master policy, or only the renovation contract's policy, or the current policy, or all of the above. CD claims are a huge pain in the rear end and if the old renovation contractor is out of business it may or may not be a covered loss on the master. Talk to a lawyer, they might put everyone on notice and see what sticks.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I am looking into setting up a small side business with a friend of mine to organize the game "Stump" at Oktoberfest events around my state. Since the game involves players wielding hammers, there have obviously been a few questions about insurance from event organizers. We don't have any insurance right now, and I'm not entirely sure where to start since we are not necessarily planning this as a long term business yet. So, a few quick questions:

• Am I right in thinking that I want general liability insurance? We really just want protection against players hurting themselves, and there's no assets or property to speak of.
  • Since we are just starting this company, is it possible to get like 2 day policy to cover our first event?
  • Will this require us to have a business license as well?

Any help and advice would be great.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You can get event insurance but youd probably was business liability. General liability should be fine, but ask your agent if you need to have another sub heading or rider since people will be interacting with each other instead of alone (right?).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Good morning Goons. I have a friend of a friend who recently quoted me new Auto and Home insurance as he owns his own agency and I haven't shopped it in a while. The coverages are apples-to-apples but the premiums are quite lower. I think this is due to some discounts he was able to get me due to our relationship. I'm all ready to switch over but I hear very often that the company owning the policy can vary considerably in the event of a claim.

The question I have is if anyone can speak about Citizens insurance for Auto and/or Home. I currently have Progressive and AAA, both of which have good reputations and one claim I had years ago with Progressive was fairly seamless. We're looking at saving ~$200/yr on the auto (2 vehicles) and ~$270/yr on the Homeowners which has a bit more coverage on my wife's wedding ring and an umbrella policy (the AAA one I have is a quasi-umbrella).

Anything I should be concerned about regarding the company with every thing else all equal?

Appreciate any insight, thanks!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Considering what's gone down here in Houston, what is the best advice when dealing with the claims agents that will be coming down here to assess damages from the flood?

And no, I was an idiot, didn't have flood insurance on my car or apartment. I'm just thankful I got out alive at this point, was a boat evacuation.

The only saving grace maybe on my apartment would be that I have a photo showing that water was coming in under the wall and not the door before everything went to hell.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Glad to hear you're okay. Best thing to do is have your paperwork handy. Title, lien, receipts, etc. That'll make the settlement process faster.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

RedMagus posted:

Considering what's gone down here in Houston, what is the best advice when dealing with the claims agents that will be coming down here to assess damages from the flood?

And no, I was an idiot, didn't have flood insurance on my car or apartment. I'm just thankful I got out alive at this point, was a boat evacuation.

The only saving grace maybe on my apartment would be that I have a photo showing that water was coming in under the wall and not the door before everything went to hell.

Do you have comprehensive on your car? That covers flood. If the water hit the dashboard it's definitely totaled. Likely totaled even if it didn't get that high.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Do you have comprehensive on your car? That covers flood. If the water hit the dashboard it's definitely totaled. Likely totaled even if it didn't get that high.

Flood waters at the complex were 3-4 feet in the parking lot I suspect. saw one car float away, pretty much dashboard water on everything even in the high back lot.

Coverage from the policy (minus pricing details) pulled straight from the State Farm website:
code:
Liability Coverage

Bodily Injury Limits
Each Person, Each Accident
$100,000 $300,000
Property Damage Limit
Each Accident
$100,000

Personal Injury Protection Coverage
Limit - Each Person
$5,000

Comprehensive Coverage - $500 Deductible
Collision Coverage - $500 Deductible
Emergency Road Service Coverage
Car Rental and Travel Expenses Coverage
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Coverage

Bodily Injury Limits
Each Person, Each Accident
$100,000 $300,000
Property Damage Limit
Each Accident
$100,000
I took a lot of the thread advice to heart and upgraded last year from the basic policy I had most of my life. I also made drat sure I had setup internet access and had the mobile app on my phone, which I'm glad I did. I was able to put in the claims after getting out of the flood waters and sitting/waiting for rescue from the 2nd story.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Great job increasing your coverage.

As for the car, you're gonna be out your deductible and they'll likely total it out. This is a huge disaster, so they will know whats up.
The renters is a bit tougher. This is definitely a flood. Even if the water was shown as coming from under the wall, they know thr primary cause is rising waters from outside the building. A flood. The only possible claim could be water back up of sewer and drain if you have that additional coverage or if thr damage was primarily wind or some such.

Its a tough one, and who knows they may make an exception, but i wouldnt grt my hopes up. Ive worked for several P&C companies and none would insure a home in Houston without mega underwriting. This is unfortunately why.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Sorry for everything you're dealing with.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Whatever happens, I'm lucky that I've got family local that's gonna help me out. My cousin's been taking care of me, and I got lots of non-local family/friends wanting to know what they can do to help. Just gotta get mobile and back in once it's declared safe, and go from there. I'm glad I can do the prep work now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Start looking for a new car as well. You can get a rough idea on your cars value by searching same model year cars in your area online. Once they find your car, tow it to the salvage yard and deem it a total loss you'll get 3 more days of rental (assuming you can even get a rental anywhere close). Sometimes you can get a bit more since you'll be dealing with the insurances Catastrophe team and they have more leeway, but it's better to have everything lined up now.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
You may not be able to get a rental car. Demand is going to be way higher than supply, that's what happened during Sandy. Hell, Dallas ran out of rental cars last year when they had the big hail storms. May be worthwhile to make the reservation now if you can.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Already on the list with HERTZ which went through the state farm website. so gonna call them either tonight or tomorrow to confirm I'm still in queue, and see if there's any timeline on getting a vehicle.

As for getting a new one, I may just go UBER/Zip car for a while. I mostly use the bus to get around anyway, and was already registering this one as a personal use vehicle. let me build my cash supple back up for a decent down-payment.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Good morning Goons. I have a friend of a friend who recently quoted me new Auto and Home insurance as he owns his own agency and I haven't shopped it in a while. The coverages are apples-to-apples but the premiums are quite lower. I think this is due to some discounts he was able to get me due to our relationship. I'm all ready to switch over but I hear very often that the company owning the policy can vary considerably in the event of a claim.

The question I have is if anyone can speak about Citizens insurance for Auto and/or Home. I currently have Progressive and AAA, both of which have good reputations and one claim I had years ago with Progressive was fairly seamless. We're looking at saving ~$200/yr on the auto (2 vehicles) and ~$270/yr on the Homeowners which has a bit more coverage on my wife's wedding ring and an umbrella policy (the AAA one I have is a quasi-umbrella).

Anything I should be concerned about regarding the company with every thing else all equal?

Appreciate any insight, thanks!

Bumping this as the thread got some action today (glad to hear you're safe RedMagus) and was hoping to get some input. Thanks!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If its the same coverage i don't see why not

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well that's interesting.
Before going to bed I checked state farm. I spoke with a rep earlier today, and he basically told me my renters won't cover flood. That's fine, I figured, told him to do what he needs to do and give me the document stating as much.

Finally got it tonight, read it over, and it opens with the following:
"Thank you for speaking with me on August 30, 2017. During that conversation, you requested that State FarmŽ not open a claim related to the events of August 27, 2017. Based on your request, we will not set up a claim or investigate your loss at this time. Should you change your mind and decide to file a claim, please notify us immediately."

To me, this sounds like someone's weaseling out of their decision. Is this normal on such paperwork, or do I need to call back tomorrow and start setting asses on fire? Because I did not ask them to not open it, I said I would accept that they decided.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RedMagus posted:

Well that's interesting.
Before going to bed I checked state farm. I spoke with a rep earlier today, and he basically told me my renters won't cover flood. That's fine, I figured, told him to do what he needs to do and give me the document stating as much.

"Thank you for speaking with me on August 30, 2017. During that conversation, you requested that State FarmŽ not open a claim related to the events of August 27, 2017. Based on your request, we will not set up a claim or investigate your loss at this time. Should you change your mind and decide to file a claim, please notify us immediately."

To me, this sounds like someone's weaseling out of their decision. Is this normal on such paperwork, or do I need to call back tomorrow and start setting asses on fire? Because I did not ask them to not open it, I said I would accept that they decided.

I'd definitely call back, nothing to lose. Better get in writing what actually occurred. Never know how these things can come back later to bite.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

RedMagus posted:

Well that's interesting.

Sounds like they're just trying to go the easy route instead of getting a formal denial. The benefit to having no claim set up is that you won't have a claims history, which can impact your premiums, especially if you plan to buy a house in the nearish future.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bingo. Hes doing you a favor by not opening a claim. If you did, it would absolutely count against you in the future.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Mostly I'm worried that if I submit that letter to FEMA they'll kick back that I get nothing since I "chose" not to open a claim. They'll look it over and not ding me for that, right?

Honestly this entire process is nerve wracking. Thank you all so much for being here.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Would he really be dinged for submitting a claim from the most significant weather event in the last decade?

RedMagus - you should be able to provide FEMA your policy language showing the flood exclusion in lieu of a claim denial. (But IANA FEMA rep.)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Would he really be dinged for submitting a claim from the most significant weather event in the last decade?

RedMagus - you should be able to provide FEMA your policy language showing the flood exclusion in lieu of a claim denial. (But IANA FEMA rep.)

Yes, absolutely. Your loss history is just that, it doesn't care if it's a hurricane or you smoking in bed. You're a higher risk.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yes, absolutely. Your loss history is just that, it doesn't care if it's a hurricane or you smoking in bed. You're a higher risk.

Yes this. Itll still be a filed claim for $0

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Let me rephrase my question then -- is personal lines automated enough where it wouldn't be addressed by an underwriter?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

You can automate underwriting guidelines so probably

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Let me rephrase my question then -- is personal lines automated enough where it wouldn't be addressed by an underwriter?

Yes. Nobody is reviewing risks manually.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dango Bango posted:

What wouldn't be addressed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Yes. Nobody is reviewing risks manually.

The only place I have seen manual underwriting anymore is in commercial. But that's because the risks tend to be more diverse, and warrant a lot more premium.