Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
E:n/m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

whypick1 posted:

The purple highlighted maps on the Atlas drop Shaper Orbs. Don't even need to do the bonus objective, just kill the boss.

Unless you do some Atlas shaping, the only maps that will drop are the ones connected to the one you are in.

maps you have completed also drop, of course. but you can only obtain uncompleted maps from adjacent maps. you do need to do the bonus objective for shaper orbs though

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Jazerus posted:

maps you have completed also drop, of course. but you can only obtain uncompleted maps from adjacent maps. you do need to do the bonus objective for shaper orbs though

Dammit that would have been nice to know.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Which is probably the more expensive and or more effective way to run warchief totems nowadays, facebreakers with abyss us and steel rings and the like or two handed?

Also chieftain, zerk or hierophant?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Any goons that need to fill in T1-9 maps, just ask in guild chat. Once you're at T16s, you're usually drowning in low level maps.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Xequecal posted:

Hrm, I thought it was the same as Blade Flurry which specifically requires a one handed sword. Blade Flurry is a 3.3x modifier to base DPS, Viper Strike is 1.46x. The poison from Viper Strike lasts twice as long but that's still below Blade Flurry. Now you can say Viper Strike gets the poison for free, but Blade Flurry gets the AoE for free. If you start with Blade Flurry - Poison and compare it to Viper Strike - Melee Splash, there's basically no build you can construct where Blade Flurry doesn't do more DPS. At least with one handers, anyways. When you consider that you can get chance to poison from the tree and items so you don't need the poison gem at all, Viper Strike looks even worse.

Well first off, I was talking about Viper Strike from a single target perspective. So viper strike is 1.46x base dps but it's 2x duration (or more from duration nodes!) for poison so that's 2.92x, with the free 60% chance to do so.

Secondly, the wiki's calculating the DPS wrong for Blade Flurry.
Let's say you're using a 100 damage weapon. The first strike is 100*.564*1.2, second is 100*.564*1.4, etc up to 100*.564*2.2 on the sixth hit where you release. That's 575.28 damage, then you stop channeling and you get six additional hits at the 2.2 multiplier which is 100*.564*2.2=744.48 damage. So that's 575.28+744.48=1319.76 over six attacks at 1.6x attack speed, so 1319.76*1.6/6=351.936. HIGHER than the wiki. I didn't understand where the .75*1.2 came from in the wiki's formula so I tracked down the source and it's from a flawed mathematical model of the skill. It assumes the stage damage bonus increases at a constant rate (so it's a diagonal line) when it's actually increasing (and being applied) in steps. This throws the average off. It's most obvious when you look at the wiki's formula for what happens when you only attack once. I mean, then it's obviously doing 2 hits at the first stage (1.2x damage), a .564*1.6*2*1.2 multiplier, right? Well the wiki formula says it's .564*1.6*2*(1+.75*.2).
The correct formula would be .564*1.6*2*(1.05+0.75*1.2). Yes, the .75 still works, the step function has a higher average but the difference is the same no matter how many hits are involved.
Yes I'm a math major shut up.

So uh, I've never used Blade Flurry, is there some drawback to the crazy damage it puts out? Is there a windup like with channeled spells?

Jazerus posted:

This isn't true! I've gotten a bunch of map drops this league that were adjacent to maps I wasn't in, and even maps that skipped a tier in my progression. I got some tier 5 maps before completing any tier 4 maps, it's crazy.

...I don't think that happened the last couple times I progressed through maps. I might be getting a rather convenient bug.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 31, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I've got my atlas 55% cleared but I've only ever found 1 shaper orb map :argh:

Does atlas proximity have any effect on which maps drop?

of course, thats what the connections are for

assume you have for example all T5s and lower cleared and you run another T5: you will only get a T6 that is connected to that T5, but all possible T5s and lower

the league is old enough you can get yellows and even reds for free from goons, so get to beggin :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Regarding maps, the Horizon and Harbinger orbs don't follow the adjacent rule, so you can use those to get maps you haven't pathed to.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

McFrugal posted:

So uh, I've never used Blade Flurry, is there some drawback to the crazy damage it puts out? Is there a windup like with channeled spells?

Blade flurry is not like channelled skills, it is channelled. It's kinda awkward to use optimally since you have to stand in one spot channelling to max then release. Or in more subjective terms, it feels like rear end. It is good damage though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Well first off, I was talking about Viper Strike from a single target perspective. So viper strike is 1.46x base dps but it's 2x duration (or more from duration nodes!) for poison so that's 2.92x, with the free 60% chance to do so.

I wouldn't even bother with poison on Starforge. Bosses have chaos resistance and there are way too many good phys scaling gems now. You leech more without it, and do more damage unless you really go out of your way to scale poison.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Which is probably the more expensive and or more effective way to run warchief totems nowadays, facebreakers with abyss us and steel rings and the like or two handed?

Also chieftain, zerk or hierophant?

Facebreakers is best, berzerker is best

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
btw if you want to play a build that combines totems and minions, and that like all builds this league is shaper viable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKb_5jHkoPs

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

McFrugal posted:

Secondly, the wiki's calculating the DPS wrong for Blade Flurry.
Let's say you're using a 100 damage weapon. The first strike is 100*.564*1.2, second is 100*.564*1.4, etc up to 100*.564*2.2 on the sixth hit where you release. That's 575.28 damage, then you stop channeling and you get six additional hits at the 2.2 multiplier which is 100*.564*2.2=744.48 damage. So that's 575.28+744.48=1319.76 over six attacks at 1.6x attack speed, so 1319.76*1.6/6=351.936. HIGHER than the wiki. I didn't understand where the .75*1.2 came from in the wiki's formula so I tracked down the source and it's from a flawed mathematical model of the skill. It assumes the stage damage bonus increases at a constant rate (so it's a diagonal line) when it's actually increasing (and being applied) in steps. This throws the average off. It's most obvious when you look at the wiki's formula for what happens when you only attack once. I mean, then it's obviously doing 2 hits at the first stage (1.2x damage), a .564*1.6*2*1.2 multiplier, right? Well the wiki formula says it's .564*1.6*2*(1+.75*.2).
The correct formula would be .564*1.6*2*(1.05+0.75*1.2). Yes, the .75 still works, the step function has a higher average but the difference is the same no matter how many hits are involved.
Yes I'm a math major shut up.

This isn't true! I've gotten a bunch of map drops this league that were adjacent to maps I wasn't in, and even maps that skipped a tier in my progression. I got some tier 5 maps before completing any tier 4 maps, it's crazy.

...I don't think that happened the last couple times I progressed through maps. I might be getting a rather convenient bug.

I used Blade Flurry as my primary skill for a bleed/poison Gladiator. He was my first character and made it to the epilogue with some rough patches at boss fights, but for the most part I was perfectly satisfied with Blade Flurry's output. As stated above, it is channeled so you don't have much mobility while using it, but it does seem to have significant reach and lands more hits than you might think.

My tactic revolved around using Shield Charge to close distance on a group, channelling to get a few dots on the group, dashing to another group, rinse repeat until they all blow up. Works great for groups, but you need to actively stick and move on beefier single targets.

Edit: I started a 2H Marauder yesterday that I plan to style after my Diablo 2 maul barb. Problem is, it feels like I am closing distances too slowly via Leap Slam. I don't suppose Shield Charge works without a shield, so what are the best movement options for closing distance/retreating in this case?

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 31, 2017

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Shield charge has spoiled you. Leap Slam is it, really. It does get better with more attack speed on the weapon itself, but 2h skills will always be slower than shield charge to move around.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Goa Tse-tung posted:

btw if you want to play a build that combines totems and minions, and that like all builds this league is shaper viable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKb_5jHkoPs

That looks pretty amusing, thanks for linking it!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
How do "%chance to shock" on jewels work? Like if I'm dealing pure phys damage can I still shock if I got one slotted? That seems pretty valuable if so.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I was just thinking "Man, my luck has been garbage this league. I haven't even had a single ex drop" and then I chanced a Skyforth :coal:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How do "%chance to shock" on jewels work? Like if I'm dealing pure phys damage can I still shock if I got one slotted?

No. You still have to be dealing a damage type that can shock.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Goa Tse-tung posted:

The linked profile doesn't have totems socketed. Weird. I wonder if there's a guide somewhere.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its a raise specter build, the specters summon the totems.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

I've started playing this game for the first time. I'm getting sucked in. Following a build guide I like, skimmed some general beginner guides, found poe.trade and poeapp.com. I haven't bought premium tabs or started selling stuff yet... but I bet I'm gonna. But: are there any general suggestions for how to tell what's going to be valuable if it's not in the one build I actually know targets for at this point? Like, are there known valuable synergistic affix clusters (beyond just life/high elemental resistance)?

ALSO: any guidelines on whether anything I find now could be valuable to anyone else as leveling gear, or whether there are crafting bases I should keep an eye out for? I assume 5L or 6L items as soon as they start dropping, but anything else? Any normal 4L boots/gloves/helms worth keeping/selling, for example?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Soothing Vapors posted:

No. You still have to be dealing a damage type that can shock.

Unless you're using a Starforge.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
So golems are actually eventually worth a poo poo? I only use mine because of the minon bonuses, and I got free golems from my gear.

If you focus on minion support from the tree, and do a little gem support, can a golem actually do worthwhile damage? I thought their best assets were always their auras/passive bonuses they offer you

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dennis McClaren posted:

So golems are actually eventually worth a poo poo? I only use mine because of the minon bonuses, and I got free golems from my gear.

If you focus on minion support from the tree, and do a little gem support, can a golem actually do worthwhile damage? I thought their best assets were always their auras/passive bonuses they offer you

You can use these expensive-as-hell jewels to make them damage dealers

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Anima_Stone

But otherwise no, they're pretty much just auras on a minion

Edit: these guys

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Primordial_Might
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Primordial_Harmony
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Primordial_Eminence

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

onefish posted:

are there any general suggestions for how to tell what's going to be valuable if it's not in the one build I actually know targets for at this point? Like, are there known valuable synergistic affix clusters (beyond just life/high elemental resistance)?

ALSO: any guidelines on whether anything I find now could be valuable to anyone else as leveling gear, or whether there are crafting bases I should keep an eye out for? I assume 5L or 6L items as soon as they start dropping, but anything else? Any normal 4L boots/gloves/helms worth keeping/selling, for example?

I'm only lv52 but I asked all the same questions you did when I started a couple weeks ago. So I'll just repeat what I think others told me here.

I wouldn't worry about anything being valuable until you're around lv60 - as far as gear drops. I've only saved unique items, but I have a big stash of orbs just from drops. I sell 99% of my rare drops (only lv52) and just upgrade my gear with unique stuff every 10 levels with the orbs I've got from vendoring rares and the orbs I get from drops.

2nd question is kind of the same. Really just hold onto unique's before lv50/60. After then, get the POE.TRADE.MACRO script deal. When you use the trade macro, you just mouse over the item, and it will bring up a GUI that show's what the item sells for on poe.trade etc., and you can decide then and there if it's worth keeping to sell or vendor.

Yeah, 5 or 6L items keep. But again, you won't see those for a long time in my experience.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

They can be, if you are willing to spend 600+ chaos in unique jewels. A second mountain of chaos for an empower 4 helps a lot as well.

I've actually tried it, and while it is effective, it is also very unengaging. Great for bossing, since they persist while you are dead, but for general mapping you are constantly dragging them along behind you.

Overall, it isn't a build I would recommend to people unless you specifically know what you are signing up for.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MMF Freeway posted:

Its a raise specter build, the specters summon the totems.

Oh they just do that natively?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Dennis McClaren posted:

I wouldn't worry about anything being valuable until you're around lv60 - as far as gear drops. I've only saved unique items, but I have a big stash of orbs just from drops. I sell 99% of my rare drops (only lv52) and just upgrade my gear with unique stuff every 10 levels with the orbs I've got from vendoring rares and the orbs I get from drops.

2nd question is kind of the same. Really just hold onto unique's before lv50/60. After then, get the POE.TRADE.MACRO script deal. When you use the trade macro, you just mouse over the item, and it will bring up a GUI that show's what the item sells for on poe.trade etc., and you can decide then and there if it's worth keeping to sell or vendor.

Thanks! Hadn't heard about that macro. And okay, that makes sense, while leveling uniques are generally good and cheaper/more available than equivalent rares, is that the idea?

edit: And I guess by mid-60s I might have absorbed a better idea of what is valuable for builds other than my own...?

onefish fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 31, 2017

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

whypick1 posted:

Unless you're using a Starforge.

I feel like he would have mentioned that, WHYPICK

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Great for bossing, since they persist while you are dead, but for general mapping you are constantly dragging them along behind you.

I've been wondering this. What's the appropriate strategy to use when fighting bosses that are killing you a few times?

I'm a fire based totem/searingbond/flame dash build. I've seen that sometimes my totems and my golems are alive kicking the boss down for awhile while I'm waiting to release to the checkpoint after dying. Should I start just waiting until all my totems and golems have died - before releasing and going back to the checkpoint to re-buff and start fighting again?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

onefish posted:

Thanks! Hadn't heard about that macro. And okay, that makes sense, while leveling uniques are generally good and cheaper/more available than equivalent rares, is that the idea?

edit: And I guess by mid-60s I might have absorbed a better idea of what is valuable for builds other than my own...?

if your build is good you can level up to maps with pretty bad gear. some uniques are objectively not great but are really good for leveling because they give you movement speed or a decent damage bonus, like victario's flight and asenath's mark

items that are valuable tend to follow a unified theme. for example, a wand with lots of spell damage, cast speed, crit strike, etc., a melee weapon with increased physical/elemental damage %, attack speed, added physical/elemental damage, etc. there are builds that use weird modifier combinations but far more use ones that are fairly easy to spot

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

onefish posted:

I'm not using the right name for the macro, I actually forget what its called. It's probably in the OP or just ask someone here but you get the premise.

Yeah, you're understanding of the uniques from your first question is correct. But sporadically there are uniques that are valuable because of certain build's people use, that otherwise would not be valuable. So again, the trade macro comes in handy for those instances. But you won't encounter that very often.

Yeah, by your 60's you will probably have a better understanding. I've learned a lot just by playing and reading this thread everyday while asking questions that I can't easily find the answers to on the poe wiki. But generally the poe wiki is your best asset for quick answers.

This game has a LOT to take in. Kind of complicated. I don't want to say hard to learn, but it does take effort. I still don't understand a lot of the minutiae and details with stacking damages and stuff. It's alright though because you get a feel for what's working, and what's not with your build. Just pay attention. I would say the game's complexity adds to it's enjoyability. Like I'm having lots of fun, but I still don't know what the most skillful choices to make for my build are a lot of the time. But it's okay, I'm not getting owned or anything. So don't get too stressed by having to play the perfect pre-made build or anything. You'll sort it out.

I wish someone had told me that when I started lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Anyone know why I can't craft a %increased spell damage mod onto this? It says "Item already has a mod of this type", but I didn't think the implicit type would block a mod of the same type being applied.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Oh they just do that natively?

im actually amazed that you don't instantly recognize them and scream in abject terror

they're from the muddy areas in act 6

and they can be yours

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

How do you get them as spectres, wouldn't an act 6 mob be too low level to use? Or am I misunderstanding how spectres work

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Flavahbeast posted:

How do you get them as spectres, wouldn't an act 6 mob be too low level to use? Or am I misunderstanding how spectres work

Spectres scale to area level

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

terrified of my bathroom posted:

Spectres scale to area level

They scale down but not up. You have to find a map with them in it and raise them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah specters are a huge pain in the rear end

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I don't think they scale up, do they, just down? I think you need to spawn them on a desecrate in a map tileset that can, and then you have them for your session. Though, grain of salt, I've never played a specter summoner.

And re: Dennis/OneFish and other's new player experience - I think the first thing you have to figure out/decide is if you, as an individual and gamer, are ok with making some mistakes or not playing optimally or not. If you are, then the best way is to not follow a guide to the letter. Maybe read some, try to learn from those who have gone before, try to make good choices, but it's ok if you peter out before the endgame and reroll. But if you're not ok with hitting a wall, then follow a good guide to the letter. I don't care if you prefer to learn as you go, or just get into the game, or whatever - if you're not ok with wrecking a char that took a lot of investment, then follow a guide. Either choice is right, but if you go with option 1 when you aren't ok with bricking a char you will be predictably disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

If you're looking for a decent boost to leap slam attack speed while two-handing, try using an essence of insanity on a pair of gloves and link leap slam/faster attacks into it. The insanity gives socketed gems a 16% more attack speed modifier. Bonus points for using spiked gloves with the melee damage implicit.