Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krnpfunch
Aug 24, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Other pic:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

krnpfunch posted:

Does anyone know how this software and setup work? I think this is how you put voices in peoples heads and torture them. My dad found it and I literally think we solved the problem of Targeted Individuals. My voices used to say they tracked me with a program that had a star on it.

Is that HAARP?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

If you just want to mess around on HF cheaply, an inverted-V would probably work fine hanging off of that just to get started.

Not as cool or fancy as an expensive yagi though.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

xergm posted:

If you just want to mess around on HF cheaply, an inverted-V would probably work fine hanging off of that just to get started.

Not as cool or fancy as an expensive yagi though.

Cool thanks! I've got a G5RV coiled up in my drawer that I'll run up on a pulley and some para-cord. I guess that's my answer for now since I'm not willing to shell out the bucks

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

johnnyonetime posted:

Cool thanks! I've got a G5RV coiled up in my drawer that I'll run up on a pulley and some para-cord. I guess that's my answer for now since I'm not willing to shell out the bucks

Of note: with a G5RV, or anything fed with ladder line, you're going to need to make sure that the ladder line is kept away from the metal tower structure.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

xergm posted:

Of note: with a G5RV, or anything fed with ladder line, you're going to need to make sure that the ladder line is kept away from the metal tower structure.

So if I mounted a piece of unistrut on the tower to hold the ladder line away and parallel to the tower would that be enough separation?

code:
|\/|
|\/|
|\/|
=========
|\/|    H
|\/|    H
|\/|    H
|\/|    H
|\/|    H
I'm jazzed about climbing the tower and getting this setup. My coworker has a climbing harness I will borrow and I've got a stainless steel pulley and carabiner on the way.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Is that HAARP?

Even worse, its 1.1

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

johnnyonetime posted:

So if I mounted a piece of unistrut on the tower to hold the ladder line away and parallel to the tower would that be enough separation?

Separation should probably be a foot or so from any metal, which would include the metal unistrut, so you'll want a little section of rope to let the center down a little.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

xergm posted:

Separation should probably be a foot or so from any metal, which would include the metal unistrut, so you'll want a little section of rope to let the center down a little.

this is sounding jankier by the second which probably means it's the right thing to do for radio

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

xergm posted:

I'd use a Fiberglas pole instead of Unistrut (or anything else conductive).

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
PVC works just fine too.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

johnnyonetime posted:

code:
|\/|
|\/|
|\/|
=========
|\/|    H
|\/|    H
|\/|    H
|\/|    H
|\/|    H
I'm jazzed about climbing the tower and getting this setup. My coworker has a climbing harness I will borrow and I've got a stainless steel pulley and carabiner on the way.

If you haven't done this already, this guy sells a 3' tower arm for $60, pulleys incl: http://www.kf7p.com/KF7P/Antenna_Standoff_Arm.html

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

If you haven't done this already, this guy sells a 3' tower arm for $60, pulleys incl: http://www.kf7p.com/KF7P/Antenna_Standoff_Arm.html

:drat: That would be perfect and you can't beat the price. I think just a pulley and carabiner for me was $25 off Amazon.

I took the pulley/carabiner and climbed the tower, attaching it to a standoff 30 feet up or so. We had some bricks lying around so I tied paracord to two bricks and stretched out the inverted V going North/South over the flat roof of our building.
Man what a difference when you can get the antenna high enough. Also I bought some solid core electrical copper wire and ran it from my radio to the tower grounding rod. I feel like I am receiving quite a bit better than my old QTH.

I discovered the Reverse Beacon Network which is awesome to see how the antenna performed. I was suprised to hit Spain right out of the box with 100w!

I'm a no-code loser so I used the Winkeyer built into N1MM+ to send out the CQ TEST

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Check out JT-65 and JT-9 if you like weak signal stuff and seeing just how far you can reach with your radio.

With 20w and a dipole I've been able to get confirmations in LOTW from South Africa :woop:, Russia, Japan, and the southern tip of Argentina.

xergm fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 24, 2017

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I took and passed my Technician license today! I almost passed the General too, but that's ok. I may go impuse buy a Yaesu tonight if I can find one in a brick and mortar store. Also the local radio club apparently gives out free Baofengs to newbies at their first meeting? That's pretty rad.

This hobby is gonna be awesome!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mycomancy posted:

I took and passed my Technician license today! I almost passed the General too, but that's ok. I may go impuse buy a Yaesu tonight if I can find one in a brick and mortar store. Also the local radio club apparently gives out free Baofengs to newbies at their first meeting? That's pretty rad.

This hobby is gonna be awesome!

good job! and i'm certain that if you have a HRO in your city, they'll have a FT60R or any number of other options for ya

mycomancy posted:

local radio club apparently gives out free Baofengs to newbies at their first meeting?

yeah let them keep them for the kids who need them - unless you wanna side by side against a yaesu and then return it to the club afterwards lol

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Halah posted:

Is that the one that has/used to have an online stream? I seem to remember listening to an LA repeater a few years back wondering how they got away with all the poo poo they were pulling.

edit: haha hell yeah, it's still there - http://www.435online.com

Like many of the links in the older posts in this thread, this one is dead. Google found the new streaming site for the LA 435 repeater, and mother of god these people are loving insane. I just listened to a ten minute convo about how bad cat poo poo smells.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

anyone got enough arthritis and ailments to make a new OP?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SoundMonkey posted:

anyone got enough arthritis and ailments to make a new OP?

Could we call it "Amateur Radio: No Hobby For Young Men?"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mycomancy posted:

Could we call it "Amateur Radio: No Hobby For Young Men?"

:drat:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Anyone have any experience with Yaesu mail-in rebates?
Tomorrow's the last day a purchase of a FTM-400XDR is eligible for a $150 mail-in rebate (until they run it again).
I've been eying that as a mobile unit to put into my truck for a while and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger or wait until the next round/find something else.
Any thoughts/info would be appreciated.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Ok hold on, what's that "System Fusion C4FM" thing? Yet another digital mode?

[edit] Yep, looks like it. So, you have D-STAR, DMR and now this.
[edit2] Also there's a thing called NXDN. This is getting confusing.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 31, 2017

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

JointHorse posted:

Ok hold on, what's that "System Fusion C4FM" thing? Yet another digital mode?

[edit] Yep, looks like it. So, you have D-STAR, DMR and now this.
[edit2] Also there's a thing called NXDN. This is getting confusing.

It is even more fun when you realize that they are all using variations of the same AMBE codec!

If I remember right DMR, Yaesu System Fusion, and NXDN all use the exact same AMBE bit rate and FEC for their voice. Which makes it even more silly.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
This really is a real-life example of

Though so far, looking at the Finnish repeater list, DMR is the clear winner here.

[edit] Welp, I guess this is the point where I dive into the rabbit hole that is digital radio: Looking up the repeaters made me check out http://dmr.fi/, which mentioned DMR-MARC and how the hell can you have global repeater network and augh!

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 31, 2017

manero
Jan 30, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

Tomorrow's the last day a purchase of a FTM-400XDR is eligible for a $150 mail-in rebate (until they run it again).
I've been eying that as a mobile unit to put into my truck for a while and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger or wait until the next round/find something else.

I just picked up an FTM-100DR to replace my FT-7900. I've already got a D-Star radio, so I've been a Fusion user for about one day now. I like the 100 so far.

I like not having to register anywhere, and it mostly "just works."

I played with an FTM-400 at HRO Milwaukee a few weeks ago and was surprised to see how long the radio took to respond to screen taps and button presses -- it would take maybe a full second to respond. I also personally thought the 400 was ugly.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

JointHorse posted:

[edit] Welp, I guess this is the point where I dive into the rabbit hole that is digital radio: Looking up the repeaters made me check out http://dmr.fi/, which mentioned DMR-MARC and how the hell can you have global repeater network and augh!

Gives you a great chance to listen to people complain about prostates and pills without needing to get on 80m

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

poeticoddity posted:

I got an Icom IC-2730a for less than half the cost of that and it's been fine, with a reasonably intuitive interface (had the hang of it in 15 mins or so). This was just going to be at my desk so I didn't really care about additional built-in features like e.g. APRS or some snowflake selection of digital voice codecs.

Icom had a small rebate at the time, which also went fine. They even mailed an actual check rather than one of those lovely prepaid cards that rebates sometimes have

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 31, 2017

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Progressive JPEG posted:

I got an Icom IC-2730a for less than half the cost of that and it's been fine, with a reasonably intuitive interface (had the hang of it in 15 mins or so). This was just going to be at my desk so I didn't really care about additional built-in features like e.g. APRS or some snowflake selection of digital voice codecs.

Icom had a small rebate at the time, which also went fine. They even mailed an actual check rather than one of those lovely prepaid cards that rebates sometimes have

I'm looking at it specifically as a mobile unit and a built-in GPS receiver and APRS compatibility was a lot of what appeals to me. After the rebates, the price difference is about $200 on HRO and I figure that's worth the APRS and waterfall display ability, especially since I've already got one C4FM compatible radio. Looks like you've got a solid unit, though.

manero posted:

I just picked up an FTM-100DR to replace my FT-7900. I've already got a D-Star radio, so I've been a Fusion user for about one day now. I like the 100 so far.

I like not having to register anywhere, and it mostly "just works."

I played with an FTM-400 at HRO Milwaukee a few weeks ago and was surprised to see how long the radio took to respond to screen taps and button presses -- it would take maybe a full second to respond. I also personally thought the 400 was ugly.

TFT displays are typically slow, and on a radio I'm really not too worried about it. I've never been in a hurry on either of my current radios.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

poeticoddity posted:

TFT displays are typically slow

Especially Yaesu - I don't get it.

When I bought my FTdx1200 i compared against the 3000 and it was night and day (the FTdx3000 was slow as poo poo, turn the dial and the screen lagged behind) where the 1200 was immediate response, which is where i stopped considering the 3000 flat out.

Despite the built in LCD VFO display, i dont get how you even can ship something with that severe of input lag.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
The ability to patch software and firmware after release has ruined most dev cycles. It's most obvious​ (and complained about) in video games, but it's most problematic in embedded systems.

That being said, I pulled the trigger and bought it earlier, so I'll report back on how terrible my decision was in a few weeks if anyone's interested.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Regretting giving these people a bunch of money now, ughhhh

I'm sure there's a world where this balances out somehow

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

Regretting giving these people a bunch of money now, ughhhh

I'm sure there's a world where this balances out somehow

Ugh, that's loving gross.

I got my Yaesu in the mail yesterday and I got to check out the local club's net. I can already tell I won't be happy for long being stuck in the 2m/70cm bands, so I better get going on studying for the General!

Also seriously maybe we should start a new thread, the OP is almost a decade old.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mycomancy posted:

the OP is almost a decade old.

seems appropriate for something where 70 year old men talk on 60 year old radios

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
It looks like I'm gonna jump ship to DMR at some point, but for now I need a replacement for my Baofeng UV-B6. (Not made any longer, and I can't find a place that would ship me a new battery for it.) So, what's the latest thing in china-made handhelds? Baofeng has a model called BF-F8, that seems nice. Basically a UV-5R with new hardware.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This thread just reminded me to buy some dacron rope so I can put my antenna back up. It's almost time for some 80m poo poo talking.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Thanks for reminding me of the roll of Dacron I ordered that's been sitting out, waiting for me to put up.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

seems appropriate for something where 70 year old men talk on 60 year old radios

Norway had a field day for radio and contesting and i was there even though i was not a member and it was almost only 50+ year old men talking about working at the sea and radioing mateys and sitting around drinking beer and some years they argue about muslims/politics as old people do. There was around 3 people under 30 lol.

I have now combined discone antenna and active hf antenna into one powerful beautiful solution, behold!

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Most of the Field Day events I've taken part in Norway has been with these guys: https://www.la1k.no/ and since it's the radio club of a student association, they're mostly under 30. This year I couldn't commit to a full weekend, so instead I went to a park with some friends and they got to try amateur radio for the first time.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Seems like someone flipped the light switch on HF today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Yes looks like we had a flare today: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/space-weather-enthusiasts