Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I read this and still made the mistake of trying to blademaster a muton. He took no damage then countered and instantly killed my ranger. I forgot that happened :ohdear:

I have done this a few times. I guess I never actually tried to chop up a Muton enough to figure out that they do it every time :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Does demolition trigger lost swarms like grenades do? I am trying to think of reasons to bring a Grenadier to any mission with Lost.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I read this and still made the mistake of trying to blademaster a muton. He took no damage then countered and instantly killed my ranger. I forgot that happened :ohdear:

Fortunately for me the muton missed his counter attack on the templar. For once my mistakes weren't paid for in blood.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Colgate posted:

Does demolition trigger lost swarms like grenades do? I am trying to think of reasons to bring a Grenadier to any mission with Lost.

I think it still counts as a 'directional cannon attack', so it shouldn't.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Mod request: suppression stops viper spit :mad:

Facing the warlock on one of those supply extraction missions is kinda horseshit. He just hangs back and spams zombies at you. Got 2 of 11 supply crates and had to evac.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 31, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So I've run into a weird bug. If I load a mid-mission save, it starts playing out a bunch of cutscenes of my soldiers replaying all their previous actions against enemies and then crashes.

Anyone have any idea? :psyduck:

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I need to find out how I can break mind control from the Warlock if flashbangs don't do it.
I've never used the mindshield, does that work?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Give me a reason to ever, ever melee attack Mutons and I might take it. As is, Mutons should just be treated as melee-immune. I'm just spitballing, but what if melee attacking a Muton gave bonus focus/damage for Templars and some kind of buff for the Ranger/SPARK or debuff for the Muton, in return for the chance to be counter-attacked?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Maybe they fall off late game but reapers are by far the most useful out of the new classes. There isn't a single mission I played where I didn't want one.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

Colgate posted:

It does not.

I still take a grenadier because blowing multiple aliens cover is worth killing a lost swarm over. Shred/holotargetting is real handy as well.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I feel like they make phantom rangers completely obsolete. Rangers are still good though, despite everything.

Though I hope the LW2 perk pack updates, I liked playing with those classes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DrManiac posted:

Maybe they fall off late game but reapers are by far the most useful out of the new classes. There isn't a single mission I played where I didn't want one.

Eh, early on Templars are incredible. Having guaranteed damage and the ability to take out Sectoids/Captains in one hit once they gain some focus makes them absurdly useful. Ditto the Skirmisher and their innate ability to shoot and Judgement/shoot.

Reapers, especially early on, lack damage output of even your normal soldiers and only really have a 1/mission explosive. I've found them underwhelming because they can't even pitch in as hard as a concealed Ranger in a pinch.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I need to find out how I can break mind control from the Warlock if flashbangs don't do it.
I've never used the mindshield, does that work?

This is what I'm struggling with, too. Right now I basically try to scramble my people away from the mind controlled soldiers and hope the damage isn't too much. It seems to wear off shortly enough.

Though this last battle the rear end in a top hat somehow MC'd two soldiers at once... thankfully one of them lost it right after.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Colgate posted:

I feel like they make phantom rangers completely obsolete. Rangers are still good though, despite everything.

Though I hope the LW2 perk pack updates, I liked playing with those classes.

The time limits are so desperately tight on some of the new maps that I actually WANT a phantom ranger for once.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Are spectres the bullshit ones that can move a sprint distance, disable & make a copy of your unit then retreat behind cover in 1 turn. Because gently caress those nano assholes if it's them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Are spectres the bullshit ones that can move a sprint distance, disable & make a copy of your unit then retreat behind cover in 1 turn. Because gently caress those nano assholes if it's them.

Yep.

Also near immunity to overwatch.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yep, that's them.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Oh gently caress me, Assassin shows up during a VIP extraction mission. Someone's goin get taken.

edit: Appears out of thin air, from that lower area. Leaps to the roof to whack that injured soldier up top. Dazed. Summons a priest. Then sprints back out of sight. All in one round. She doesn't trigger overwatch so I can't even lay a trap for her. The assassin is loving stupid. Fix your game Jake.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 31, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are the Specters anti-flash bang? Or any other status effect?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The time limits are so desperately tight on some of the new maps that I actually WANT a phantom ranger for once.

the first covert card i started with was "timer only goes down when concealment is lost" and its hilariously broken. i basically never have to worry about timers.

its on the level of release xcom2 and the 3 mods continental bonus.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON
Spectre's at least won't immediately murder anyone if you don't kill them the first turn they're activated. They usually just disable someone and create the clone, then retreat behind cover. In that respect it's sometimes beneficial to ignore them and kill the more immediate threats.

Sending a skirmisher after a spectre is also really good, since you can justice or wrath them to take them out of the fight.

Also worth noting - they will ignore a mimic beacon in favor of disabling one of your guys.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The timers on some of the new maps can't possibly be intentional. There's nothing fun about having to literally sprint from your starting point to the beacon/vip/computer with no nodes to destroy within a sensible distance. I know they don't always turn out that way, but I've had enough to make me restart the game with the double tactical timer option with no regrets. It's a shame as I felt the timers in vanilla were generally perfectly tuned to feel just right. It's the one wrinkle in the otherwise excellent expansion.

What's the method of recruiting extra faction soldiers? I've restarted a couple of times moving into the mid-game and didn't see an opportunity to expand the numbers beyond the initial recruit from each.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, which resistance orders you get early can really make or break your campaign.

Like how I only have Soldiers get +20% exp, recover their will faster, buildings build 25% faster and covert ops can't be ambushed.

:effort:

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

The timers on some of the new maps can't possibly be intentional. There's nothing fun about having to literally sprint from your starting point to the beacon/vip/computer with no nodes to destroy within a sensible distance. I know they don't always turn out that way, but I've had enough to make me restart the game with the double tactical timer option with no regrets. It's a shame as I felt the timers in vanilla were generally perfectly tuned to feel just right. It's the one wrinkle in the otherwise excellent expansion.

What's the method of recruiting extra faction soldiers? I've restarted a couple of times moving into the mid-game and didn't see an opportunity to expand the numbers beyond the initial recruit from each.

Get to High influence and it unlocks as a random covert Op.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm really digging the new soundtrack btw. The new squad select is Metal and Steel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaUgubkmBX8

Roobanguy posted:

the first covert card i started with was "timer only goes down when concealment is lost" and its hilariously broken. i basically never have to worry about timers.

Dang, I got Vulture and double excavation time, that's way better. At least I can set up my failure of a base layout faster.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 31, 2017

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
so apparently nobody really used Battlelord in testing.

Otherwise I have to imagine someone would've noticed it only lets a Skirmisher react to two enemy actions on the turn it's used, not all of them.

(XComGameData_SoldierSkills.ini, set Battlelord_Actions to 0: this tells the game that a Skirmisher can react as many times as they drat well please.)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I got the excavation time and between the eyes, which is all I need for now

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Give me a reason to ever, ever melee attack Mutons and I might take it. As is, Mutons should just be treated as melee-immune. I'm just spitballing, but what if melee attacking a Muton gave bonus focus/damage for Templars and some kind of buff for the Ranger/SPARK or debuff for the Muton, in return for the chance to be counter-attacked?

My Templar/Ranger buddy-cop duo always have a flashbang handy for this reason. Failing that, Inverting a Muton into the open right next to a loaded shotgun is good for a laugh.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is there a list of actions that grant you AP? Does only the soldier get the AP or is it the general XCOM AP (Or both)?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

What happens if I have more active resistance contacts than my maximum allows, for example by removing an engineer from the radio room?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

The Bramble posted:

What happens if I have more active resistance contacts than my maximum allows, for example by removing an engineer from the radio room?

You are unable to remove that engineer from the radio room.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Exposure posted:

so apparently nobody really used Battlelord in testing.

Otherwise I have to imagine someone would've noticed it only lets a Skirmisher react to two enemy actions on the turn it's used, not all of them.

(XComGameData_SoldierSkills.ini, set Battlelord_Actions to 0: this tells the game that a Skirmisher can react as many times as they drat well please.)

And its 1/mission which is lol

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Do Covert Actions count for fatigue? I want to send a sniper to get +4 aim but he's tired.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Jigoku San posted:

Do Covert Actions count for fatigue? I want to send a sniper to get +4 aim but he's tired.

Pretty sure you can't send fatigued soldiers on them.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

DrManiac posted:

Nope, they eventually get the single most damaging attack in the entire game instead

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Deuce posted:

Oh gently caress me, Assassin shows up during a VIP extraction mission. Someone's goin get taken.
edit: Appears out of thin air, from that lower area. Leaps to the roof to whack that injured soldier up top. Dazed. Summons a priest. Then sprints back out of sight. All in one round. She doesn't trigger overwatch so I can't even lay a trap for her. The assassin is loving stupid. Fix your game Jake.

I think the intended way to deal with her (at least something that actually works) is during her move you got to remember where she went and follow her. She really doesn't go very far during the "sprint out of sight" phase. Usually found just hiding behind something very close to where the whole thing happened. That's her vulnerable moment. Spark is very good for this since he runs fast, is a tank, doesn't use cover and can't be dazed (at least I don't think so, never seen her attack spark). But most other 1-2 soldiers will do (you should try to take 2 to deliver more damage) especially reaper for high accuracy and bonus damage against the assassin.

I think this is the intended procedure, if you do enough damage she goes "oh gently caress you" and teleports away without attacking the retaliation team. If you do not find her hidey hole than and there she will either mind drain the first victim (if left dazed) or do the AOE attack which is very bad.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Are any of the other DLC's worth getting before I start up this new big one, like do any help out a lot with stuff you face?

I don't think I have any of them but every Xcommer knows you gotta take all the advantages you can get.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DrManiac posted:

Banish: Fire at a target until you run out of ammo or it dies. Reveals the Reaper.
Annihilate (Requires Ability: Banish): When you kill a target with Banish, you will continue firing at another enemy (until you run out of ammo).

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Roobanguy posted:

That's nice, I got a +2 turns to all timers which really helps, don't need to dead sprint with it enabled.

The first mission the assassin showed up on she was weak to explosives/reapers and hid behind a car. Remote start one shot her, did 22 damage

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can you Dominate an enemy VIP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Banish: Fire at a target until you run out of ammo or it dies. Reveals the Reaper.
Annihilate (Requires Ability: Banish): When you kill a target with Banish, you will continue firing at another enemy (until you run out of ammo).

No loving way.
Is that real?