Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

I wonder if it has a turbo?

spleen merchant fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It better have two or I'll be disappointed.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

boxen posted:

I have the idea that the Singer motor would cost somewhere north of a hundred grand, if they'd let you buy it without a car attached at all. Safely at least half that, I think, and 50 grand for 500 hp seems absurd to me, but I'm nowhere near the clientele of Singer. I wonder how streetable that engine is too... one one hand, I expect it to be only barely driveable due to being a 500hp aircooled engine, but on the other I wonder if Singer's clients would put up with something like that on a car they paid a million for and that's the reason a 500hp aircooled N/A motor costs so much.

Its streetable, but it certainly didn't have to go through the kind of testing regime a factory engine has to; no Death Valley and Arctic Circle testing, running on lovely gas at altitude, that kind of thing.

There's a reason Porsche started water-cooling the cylinder heads and then eventually the whole engine.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Collateral Damage posted:

It better have two or I'll be disappointed.

it didn't :negative:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spleen merchant posted:

Just the one turbo and the car in general was made from more Renault 5 bits so the original Turbo model is the most special as it has all the cool lightweight alloy parts.

The more modern Clio homage version was p.cool but not quite as cool.

Take out the rear seats, lob an engine in.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

spleen merchant posted:

Sometimes I catch myself at the bus stop looking at subcompacts driving by and daydreaming of what they'd look like with an engine swap, wider stance and MR conversion

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The more modern Clio homage version was p.cool but not quite as cool.

If you think that's cool get a load of this

It's a legit beast too, 350 HP turbo. It's so crazy, I thought the concept had died with Group B but I'm happy to be proven wrong. Also relevant, the Ford Shogun:

Ford Festiva with engine and transmission from a Taurus SHO, mounted backwards :getin:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ actually the only 'normal size' 500 I'd be seen dead in. A one off I assume?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^ actually the only 'normal size' 500 I'd be seen dead in. A one off I assume?

A one off possibly followed by a limited edition run of 500 cars, I read. Price in the lower six figures

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Rumour has it the V6 Clio is the reason for the super-economical Lupo VW built. They heard Renault were building a 3L Clio, and thought it was going to be a car that'd hit fuel consumption of 3L per 100 km...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

DogonCrook posted:

Fifty fouled spark plugs ahahaha. I bet some pilots got tore a new rear end in a top hat doing that. I remember reading the manual for falcon 4.0 and the pilot writing it said if you hosed up firing an f16 they had to spend thirty minutes cranking some hydraulic starter and you pretty much had to cough up a case of beer at least when it happened.

Aircraft maintenance takes beer as payment for lots of things, too. After a flight, those dudes would be in the hunt for aircrew gear because that's an easy 6 pack for them versus the aircrew guy having to deal with the headache of leaving poo poo on the jet.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Man's quick thinking manages to save his 2 E36 M3s and 1st gen X5.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/quick-thinking-and-garden-blocks-saved-this-guys-bmw-x5-1798527553

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I would've let the X5 drown, personally.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

No photos sadly, but a couple weeks ago I was on a road trip and spotted two separate Bugatti Veyrons in the span of two days (both wine red, oddly): one on a random mountain road in France passed by us while we were parked to take a leak, and one on the highway, being carried in a trailer disguised as a camper trailer (!!!). I had never seen anything like that before, and I probably wouldn't even have noticed it, if the towing car and trailer weren't stopped in the emergency lane, with the trailer's fake rear wall lifted up

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

hackbunny posted:

Sometimes I catch myself at the bus stop looking at subcompacts driving by and daydreaming of what they'd look like with an engine swap, wider stance and MR conversion

If you think that's cool get a load of this

It's a legit beast too, 350 HP turbo. It's so crazy, I thought the concept had died with Group B but I'm happy to be proven wrong. Also relevant, the Ford Shogun:

Ford Festiva with engine and transmission from a Taurus SHO, mounted backwards :getin:

I will never get tired of tiny hatchbacks with box fenders.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I would've let the X5 drown, personally.

At work, we have a general rule of thumb that anyone that comes in to buy anything be it a new or old customer driving an X5, you're going to have problems. They all lease them and think that, hey I have a BMW, I therefore have power over you.

"Oh I'm opening up a new shop but I expect to have 35 open by the end of the year! Can you give me pricing on that kind of volume of stock, but I only want to buy them individually."

"Mate that's expensive, can you do this vastly superior product cheaper than this cheapest product that you showed me."

Without fail, every single one of them bar one has been a pain in the arse and ends up trying to skip on thousands of dollars, after which we just set the debt collectors on them.

I'm not hating on BMW in general, its just X5's seem to attract them lies flies on poo poo.

Then there's the guy who comes in a ratty old 3 series that looks like it should be scrapped is the nicest person and pays everything up front and doesn't care about prices.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

hackbunny posted:

No photos sadly, but a couple weeks ago I was on a road trip and spotted two separate Bugatti Veyrons in the span of two days (both wine red, oddly): one on a random mountain road in France passed by us while we were parked to take a leak, and one on the highway, being carried in a trailer disguised as a camper trailer (!!!). I had never seen anything like that before, and I probably wouldn't even have noticed it, if the towing car and trailer weren't stopped in the emergency lane, with the trailer's fake rear wall lifted up

Theft prevention, one assumes.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

hackbunny posted:

I love how Jay Leno is one of like four owners of those and basically the source of all photos post-90s when it was a automotive journal darling. What a guy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGE6M75McPI

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

And the thing that makes this particularly awesome AI:
you can see in the comments the owner has noted that JC Penney still honors the battery warranty by sending him to Firestone service centers :laffo:

Firestone sold their own at the time too.

My C10 is on at least the 12th battery under that warranty. :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How to kill two birds with one Indycar

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

randy johnson's shaping up to be one hell of a race car driver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ7HWIIVgMw
found a really good channel a while back, just collects assorted hill climb footage

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Applebees Appetizer posted:

How to kill two birds with one Indycar

I saw that live, it was hilarious

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

i came

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HandlingByJebus posted:

With appropriate sensors, sure. The nice thing about modern EFI is that it's a reasonably powerful computer with the ability to consider pretty much whatever variable you care to give it an input for, so long as you write a little bit of software to deal with the implications. If you wanted to factor moon phase into your fuel / ignition maps, you could.

And if you're Aprillia, you hit a divide by zero error at exactly freezing and the bike won't start :haw:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Chris Knight posted:

And if you're Aprillia, you hit a divide by zero error at exactly freezing and the bike won't start :haw:

Hahahaha. That's perfect.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

razorscooter posted:

randy johnson's shaping up to be one hell of a race car driver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ7HWIIVgMw
found a really good channel a while back, just collects assorted hill climb footage

Do you mean this Randy Johnson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f6owc3O_gY&t=300s

that whole video is a great story, watch it. I just like that intro as it really sinks in how badass he was/is.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wasabi the J posted:

Do you mean this Randy Johnson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f6owc3O_gY&t=300s

that whole video is a great story, watch it. I just like that intro as it really sinks in how badass he was/is.

He does photography now. http://rj51photos.com/

Check the logo

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

He does photography now. http://rj51photos.com/

Check the logo

Appears to be pretty good at that photography thing too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not bad. Helps when you're famous to get all the access though.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I introduced my dad to Project Binky last week. Met up with the family last night.

"Really enjoying that Project Binky... whens the next part???"

Oh god dad I'm so sorry!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Chris Knight posted:

This is an absolutely hilarious error but I can't find a link to a story for it right now. Can someone help me out? It might have even been a forum post or something.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Memento posted:

This is an absolutely hilarious error but I can't find a link to a story for it right now. Can someone help me out? It might have even been a forum post or something.

CA poster goddamnedtwisto's Shiver had this problem, he's the one who brought it to light. Might have been in the rant thread or discussion thread.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I have no idea but I like it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I have no idea but I like it.

It's almost like a modern version of the Mach 5.
Experimental, indeed.

edit: 1991 Colani Stingray: http://www.carstyling.ru/en/car/1991_colani_stingray/

Googling it brings up some other truly fascinating designs from Colani: https://www.google.com/search?q=199...fMTDra5VnQKNPM:

edit 2: Colani is the guy responsible for all those futuristic trucks with the giant round front glass and spinning windshield wipers.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 31, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Actually looking at the vents on it it completely makes sense it's a Colani... Awesome, cheers.

*edit: The general design a mixture of these two weird looking things.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 31, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

To continue with Colani, the 2007 Pierce-Arrow, or one of the bodies you could potentially get, since it was to be bespoke coachbuilt:

It was to be powered by a 10L 24-cylinder engine, down from the 13L, 66HP engine from the 20s.

http://www.carstyling.ru/en/car/2007_colani_pierce_arrow/

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Darchangel posted:

To continue with Colani, the 2007 Pierce-Arrow, or one of the bodies you could potentially get, since it was to be bespoke coachbuilt:

It was to be powered by a 10L 24-cylinder engine, down from the 13L, 66HP engine from the 20s.

http://www.carstyling.ru/en/car/2007_colani_pierce_arrow/

It's uh.... uncanny.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Found this on Hellafunctional Facebook this morning, so I'm surprised jamal didn't post it here :v:

http://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2017/8/29/engineering-the-ultimate-20-litre

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
And they're putting it into a NX. God bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There's a 2.4l version in a brz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Q_rGllPVs