Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Uroboros posted:

To be a 40k Badboi or Fuckboi...holy poo poo has any decision ever held more weight?

On the one hand I went Badboi from the jump, on the other to be a Fuckboi means I would get to burn anime as is proper. I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Uroboros posted:

To be a 40k Badboi or Fuckboi...holy poo poo has any decision ever held more weight?

No because the only correct answer is the 40k Fuckbois.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

ANAmal.net posted:

That was my original instinct, but I have to save that anime.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

TWSS posted:

Yeah, they're likely sitting on a mountain of finecast garbage, so I don't anticipate plastic eldar kits unless it's something new. Initially I thought the troop choices for eldar were garbage, but I've had great luck with Guardian squads in Wave Serpents. Dire Avengers definitely need to be reduced in points along with falcons, striking scorpions and warp spiders.

Yeah, I mostly want cheaper dire avengers because I think they look cool. I run 2 guardian squads with bright Lances in wave serpents and that's fine but my dual catapult wielding dire avengers exarch looks way more badass and id love to run more DAs with Asurmen.

Edit: that said, I have metal sculpts for most of the aspects (except dark reapers) and they really hold up. The Phoenix Lord sculpts are still top notch with tons of personality too. I actually just got NIB metal swooping Hawks on eBay for less than the finecast currently goes far, which was a nice find.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 31, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

this guy gets it

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Badcast Badbois 4 lyfe

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

bonds0097 posted:

dual catapult wielding dire avengers exarch looks way more badass and id love to run more DAs with Asurmen.

Asurmen is an absolute beast. I ran him with a squad of 5 DAs who killed their points before they died horribly, but asurmen chopped up 2 disciple squads, 1 marauder squad, a malefic lord and a renegade commander before I failed a 2+ save against a goddamn mortar.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

#fuckboiz

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
When you're awaiting judgment at the gates of heaven, St Peter will ask but one question:
"Be thee a Badcast Badboi or be thee a 40k Fuckboi?"
Choose wisely

a cock shaped fruit posted:

How 8th-edition'ised is it? I want it super easy to get into and play so I can fool convince friends into playing it.

It's more complex than 8th in some ways. It's like XCOM meets Necromunda with some 8th ed mechanics. It has the streamlined WS/BS stats, weapons have AP modifiers and damage like in 8th, and models get variable movement like in 8th. It plays quickly, and while the demo was only on a single flat tile, it was fun. I'd love to play it on gantries and auch though.

At the end of the panel somekne asked the three guys about what they would want to see come next from GW, regardless of how likely it was. Adam Troke said Inquisitor but in 28mm, one guy joked plastic Sisters, and another gave a wink wink nudge nudge "a whole new faction" answer while the other guys made very knowing shocked faces. Do with that rumor what you will.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

Washington Nationals' logo looks eerily sinilar to the font used on Walgreens' signage.
You aren't lying:

Someone got paid a lot of money to rotate the Walgreen's "W" and slightly skew it in Photoshop.

SRM posted:

At the end of the panel somekne asked the three guys about what they would want to see come next from GW, regardless of how likely it was. Adam Troke said Inquisitor but in 28mm, one guy joked plastic Sisters, and another gave a wink wink nudge nudge "a whole new faction" answer while the other guys made very knowing shocked faces. Do with that rumor what you will.
Inquisitor would be easy to integrate with the new NM (also hoping for GSC rules in the new edition.) I'm really thinking the Demiurg/Squats are going to be the "new" faction - GSC blew up due to the nostalgia people had for them (that and it was something new) and I think the runty guys could have a similar boom if done correctly (i.e. not IG clones.)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Apparently GW dropped the info on the next 3 codexes to be released at NoVA:
- Astra Militarum
- Tyranids
- Craftworld Eldar

In even better news, apparently vehicle design rules are coming back when Chapter Approved drops

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

berzerkmonkey posted:

You aren't lying:

Someone got paid a lot of money to rotate the Walgreen's "W" and slightly skew it in Photoshop.

Inquisitor would be easy to integrate with the new NM (also hoping for GSC rules in the new edition.) I'm really thinking the Demiurg/Squats are going to be the "new" faction - GSC blew up due to the nostalgia people had for them (that and it was something new) and I think the runty guys could have a similar boom if done correctly (i.e. not IG clones.)

itt people that have never seen a cursive W in their lives

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TheChirurgeon posted:

Apparently GW dropped the info on the next 3 codexes to be released at NoVA:
- Astra Militarum
- Tyranids
- Craftworld Eldar

In even better news, apparently vehicle design rules are coming back when Chapter Approved drops

My loota sense is tingling.

Speaking of which, I just totaled up how many orks I have already. ~750pts, already! Nice to have motivation for once.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh goody, I can't wait to see what monstrosities some over excited kid produces. Something like a Land Raider with 9 Lascannons stapled to it no doubt.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I painted some Dark Eldar :unsmith:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You should give your grandmother back her wallpaper.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zark the Damned posted:

Oh goody, I can't wait to see what monstrosities some over excited kid produces. Something like a Land Raider with 9 Lascannons stapled to it no doubt.

Like the Terminus Ultra? :v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SteelMentor posted:

I was about to post this exact thing

Also, Chapter Approved will reportedly contain "Expanded rules for factions that have not yet received a codex to equalize their power"

e: VDR is only for Open Play

Games Workshop posted:

We’ve heard a little more about what we can look forward to in the upcoming Chapter Approved, and it sounds more and more exciting the more we hear.

We learned at NOVA tonight that the new book will feature, (amongst many other things)

An expansion for Apocalypse games of Warhammer 40,000
Guidelines on running a planetary invasion campaign
Updated matched play points for dozens of units and weapons across every army
Loads of new Missions for open, narrative and matched play.
We are also bringing a whole new feature to Open Play. Designing and building your own vehicles is a feature that hasn’t appeared in Warhammer 40,000 since 5th Edition. We are going to trial some new rules to allow you to design your very own Land Raider variants and field these behemoths on the battlefields of the 41st Millennium.

Finally Chapter Approved will also give Factions that have not yet received their codex some expanded rules while they wait, allowing these factions to make use of some of the cool new mechanics available in Warhammer 40,000.

Chapter Approved is looking like a must for any dedicated Warhammer 40,000 player.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 31, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

ANAmal.net posted:

How can we trust anyone with a T*m Br*dy avatar?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TheChirurgeon posted:

Updated matched play points for dozens of units and weapons across every army

I wonder how they're dealing with this, as presumably we'll see Chapter Approved within a few weeks of the Eldar, Tyranid and Guard codexes. Are they really going to supersede points values released barely a month prior?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
The more I read about what is upcoming, the more convinced I am that 8th is going to be a race against time to play a few good games while the power level is (relatively) flat before too many codexes barge into the room and gently caress everything up.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

xtothez posted:

I wonder how they're dealing with this, as presumably we'll see Chapter Approved within a few weeks of the Eldar, Tyranid and Guard codexes. Are they really going to supersede points values released barely a month prior?

I would imagine they're going to have like 99% of those points ready ahead of time and maybe make minor adjustments at best for those armies, with bigger changes for the older books and things still in indexes.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So which of you other sad nerds went to dragoncon instead of nova, I'm here

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Giant Isopod posted:

The more I read about what is upcoming, the more convinced I am that 8th is going to be a race against time to play a few good games while the power level is (relatively) flat before too many codexes barge into the room and gently caress everything up.

Given what we've seen in the released codexes, I disagree. The codex units changed very little from their index incarnations--mostly points costs and some errata--while the added elements were either simple faction rules or limited-use strategems and relics and nothing in the bunch struck me as overpowered. Having seen the first three codexes, I'm much less worried about complexity and power creep than I was.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

You should give your grandmother back her wallpaper.

I'll have you know it's a mousepad. :colbert:

I really need a photo setup.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Please let there be a thing to design Chaos land raiders. I just want more leg room.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

VDR has the potential to work a lot better now the vehicle rules are so simple.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

SteelMentor posted:

I am actually taking it to my next tournament.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

So which of you other sad nerds went to dragoncon instead of nova, I'm here

My wife is there. She has instructions to throw heavy bolters and gaunts at anyone she suspects might be you.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

For_Great_Justice posted:

Please let there be a thing to design Chaos land raiders. I just want more leg room.

Same. I would love to be able to design Chaos land raider variants and finally move beyond the goddamn terrible standard config

e: As long as we're wishlisting I want to be able to put daemon engine weapons on them. Baleflamers! Hades Autocannons! Ectoplasma cannons!

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
so now we're looking at up to three books required to play one army? lol

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

so now we're looking at up to three books required to play one army? lol

No? Index + Chapter Approved if you haven't had a Codex yet, otherwise Codex.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Alright, so I built a 100 PL/2000 PT Adeptus Custodes list. Feedback?

HQ:

Inquisitor - 5 PL, 71 Pts
- Inferno Pistol
- Power Sword
- Psyker (Terrify)

Inquisitor - 5 PL, 71 Pts
- Inferno Pistol
- Power Sword
- Psyker (Terrify)

Troops:

Custodian Guard Squad - 14 PL, 287 Pts
- 2 x Custodian Spears
- Custodes Vexilla and Power Knife, Storm Shield
- 2 x Sentinel Blades & Storm Shields

Custodian Guard Squad - 14 PL, 287 Pts
- 2 x Custodian Spears
- Custodes Vexilla and Power Knife, Storm Shield
- 2 x Sentinel Blades & Storm Shields

Vigilators - 4 PL, 95 PTS
- 5x Executioner Greatblades

Null-Maiden Rhino - 4 PL, 72 PTS
- Storm Bolter

Elites:

Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought - 8 PL, 167 Pts
- Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon
- Dreadnought Combat Weapon

Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought - 8 PL, 167 Pts
- Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon
- Dreadnought Combat Weapon

Heavy Support:

Venerable Land Raider - 19 PL, 366 PTS
- Storm Bolter
- Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter
- 2x Twin-Linked Lascannons

Venerable Land Raider - 19 PL, 366 PTS
- Storm Bolter
- Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter
- 2x Twin-Linked Lascannons

Comes to 100 PL exactly, 1949 Points. If i'm playing to 2,000 points, i'll be adding in 2 Crusaders and a Ministorum Priest into the Rhino with the 2 inquisitors and the Sisters of Silence. (By dropping the 2x Storm Bolters off the Land Raiders and switching one Inquisitors Inferno Pistol to a Bolt Pistol. Takes me to 1998 points).

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Corrode posted:

Technically you could need index for OOP models that don't make it to codex, codex, and chapter approved for extra stuff including the vehicle rules.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

TheChirurgeon posted:

Given what we've seen in the released codexes, I disagree. The codex units changed very little from their index incarnations--mostly points costs and some errata--while the added elements were either simple faction rules or limited-use strategems and relics and nothing in the bunch struck me as overpowered. Having seen the first three codexes, I'm much less worried about complexity and power creep than I was.

That is encouraging, I suppose I'm just very jaded from the past history of... literally everything GW has ever done.

Three non-SM coming up next is very surprising, but hope is the first step on the road to disappointment and all that jazz.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Corrode posted:

why do you bother replying.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

But I need an Index if I want to take units/loadouts that aren't in the codex, right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Deified Data posted:

I'll have you know it's a mousepad. :colbert:

I really need a photo setup.

Here's how professional ceramicists setup their work for documentation:

Get a light that can hang from the ceiling and have the height adjusted. Make a box to go around it with a white sheet of paper that goes underneath the light so that it casts even light. Take a big sheet of grey paper at fasten it to a vertical surface. Have the bottom half of the paper placed on a flat surface like a table and arrange it in a way that the paper curves from the wall to the table and fasten the bottom half to the table. Turn off the other lights in the room and you'll get that effect of a black background that transitions to a grey surface without a visible corner. Photograph your models with this and you're golden.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

panascope posted:

How can we trust anyone with a T*m Br*dy avatar?

You probably shouldn't, if I'm honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at picking up a box of Agressors and putting the bolters on them. How effective have they been for those of you that have tried them?