Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zo posted:

and the (probably) lack of any skill based matchmaking

:lol::lol:

Oh man. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

i can see them turning it off for PC, since we'll have probably 1/4 of the population as the consoles (rough estimate based on other multiplatform games like the battlefields)

and you'll be insanely jelly of our green bars ;)

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Squashing Machine posted:

It's not even about esports, casual players will get frustrated and stop playing PVP if they feel like someone's getting an unfair advantage over them. Making controller the standard way to play on PC is an asinine choice when this is the only platform where you can make KBM default (which I find more fun to play shooters with, personally)

Yea it's probably true that this will be a mess if they don't kill the AA, I'm just feeling lovely about it because I'm in the position dragging myself over to the PC version because that's what my friends are doing, even tho I strongly prefer the feel of this particular game on the pad and will miss it

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

Squashing Machine posted:

It's not even about esports, casual players will get frustrated and stop playing PVP if they feel like someone's getting an unfair advantage over them. Making controller the standard way to play on PC is an asinine choice when this is the only platform where you can make KBM default (which I find more fun to play shooters with, personally)

I was saying in the discord the other day, wait until the first redditor finds out that he's kept out of the year 2 version of the lighthouse because his opponent was using a xim on PC. The salt dosage is going to be lethal.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

Zo posted:

i can see them turning it off for PC, since we'll have probably 1/4 of the population as the consoles (rough estimate based on other multiplatform games like the battlefields)

I actually wonder if they implemented that change to matchmaking in quickplay they claimed they were going to do; I ran into a four stack with gigz and gamesager in my first game last night (with only 5-6 games total played).

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Zo posted:

Okay, sure

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zo posted:

This is adorably optimistic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Didn't you know if you buy a $1000 Ethernet card, all lag disappears? Suck it console losers.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

xzzy posted:

Didn't you know if you buy a $1000 Ethernet card, all lag disappears? Suck it console losers.

Pftt, look at this pleb with his $1000 Ethernet card. Real gamers get a OC12 line and put together their on linux based router with an overlocked water cooled i7 and 64 gigs of ram and spend hours hand tuning the QOS rules for 2ms pings.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dietrich posted:

Pftt, look at this pleb with his $1000 Ethernet card. Real gamers get a OC12 line and put together their on linux based router with an overlocked water cooled i7 and 64 gigs of ram and spend hours hand tuning the QOS rules for 2ms pings.

Dont stop....Im almost there?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Dietrich posted:

How do you get a 2ms ping to a dude from Brazil playing on wifi that's accessing the internet via a prepaid phone tether

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So with the current discussion I take it I made the right choice only doing the pve portion of the beta? I'm not really all that interested in pvp to begin with. I feel like I have a blast doing the missions and all. Speaking of, anyone want to group up to do the strike later tonight? I did it with a PUG but feel like it'd be fun with actual communication.

bnet= DvaCup#1243

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

How do you get a 2ms ping to a dude from Brazil playing on wifi that's accessing the internet via a prepaid phone tether

What about a 12 year old on a cruise ship?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/DestinyTheGame/status/903301367778820098

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Oh real gamers don't actually play games, they just spend all day tinkering with their graphics card settings.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

When does the open beta end? Is it already over?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Dietrich posted:

Oh real gamers don't actually play games, they just spend all day tinkering with their graphics card settings.

Okay fair

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

nopantsjack posted:

When does the open beta end? Is it already over?

Edit: whoops!

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 31, 2017

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I don't think I've been this impressed with a beta in...forever. Never played D1 but really looking forward to the launch on this one.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Battle.net just patched the beta and now it's a greyed out "Install" button. Guess it's over folks. Later!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah, at 6pm GMT sharp I was kicked out of a multiplayer match and the GF who was 10min into the SP tutorial was kicked out of that.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

So what's the consensus regarding the beta? It seems pretty positive in general?

I just could not get a feel for the guns in this, they all seem kinda bad, at least all the ones you start the beta with, am I alone in thinking this? I played some KF2 just to compare and felt the guns there were much better, but it is of course a completely different game so maybe my expectations are outta whack.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Zo posted:

lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Steve2911 posted:

I really don't understand how they release so few raids. Most similar games would involve 3 or 4 per iteration at a minimum.

Most similar games don't do dlc expansions at all, but instead monthly fees with a major expansion every few years. Its apples and oranges.

There's nothing else that has the same exact business model as destiny right now.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Zaphod42 posted:

There's nothing else that has the same exact business model as destiny right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeeZ5Zynn54

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

organburner posted:

So what's the consensus regarding the beta? It seems pretty positive in general?

I just could not get a feel for the guns in this, they all seem kinda bad, at least all the ones you start the beta with, am I alone in thinking this? I played some KF2 just to compare and felt the guns there were much better, but it is of course a completely different game so maybe my expectations are outta whack.

Those felt like destiny bread and butter guns. If you don't like them you won't like any of the others honestly.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

*except on PC...earth can wait to be saved for another month and 15 days.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I feel like the weakest aspect of Destiny is how lack luster the normal non-exotic guns feel. That said the exotics are cool and they should probably just remove all the other guns from the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Belzac posted:

I feel like the weakest aspect of Destiny is how lack luster the normal non-exotic guns feel. That said the exotics are cool and they should probably just remove all the other guns from the game.

They have pretty good gunfeel compared to any other FPS, but yeah the exotics are way more memorable.

I'm not wild about the way weapon loadouts work in D2 versus D1 but its not a dealbreaker. But I do agree with the goon before who said it feels like pve got nerfed a bit for pvp's sake. Its a good thing for pvp but man was it necessary to change across the board?

I've always thought they should just move to more slots. Have a dedicated shotgun slot, sniper slot, rocket slot, sword slot, etc. Then in pvp they could have all kinds of map ammo spawns, like back in the halo days. Having just 3 types of ammo is too restrictive for map strategy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Maybe its cause I'm a bitter goon, but do people actually find this funny or interesting? Like goddamn I understand not wanting your game to be super serious all the time or anything but if you're going to crack jokes at least hire writers that know how to write something other than "Nathan Fillion says something wacky."

Its good the beta was pretty fun because nothing else about this game's marketing has been appealing to me.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Bungie got positive feedback on Cayde in TTK so they doubled down.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The latest commercial was directed by the guy who did the amazing Kong Skull Island. :aaaaa:

Bungie throwing serious cash around!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

1stGear posted:

Maybe its cause I'm a bitter goon, but do people actually find this funny or interesting? Like goddamn I understand not wanting your game to be super serious all the time or anything but if you're going to crack jokes at least hire writers that know how to write something other than "Nathan Fillion says something wacky."

Its good the beta was pretty fun because nothing else about this game's marketing has been appealing to me.

Some people love Borderlands jokes, so yeah some people eat it up. But lots of goons earlier in the thread were complaining about the "humor" so you're def not alone.

Javes posted:

Bungie got positive feedback on Cayde in TTK so they doubled down.

Problem was the misinterpreted it. It wasn't Cayde's wacky silly humor that people loved, but that he was a kinda cool dude voiced by Fillion.
He's way too hokey now. They should dial it back and just have him actually do something in the campaign rather than being a vendor who cracks jokes and shows up in cutscenes.

But for some reason they're committed to the person talking to you most in the campaign (the ghost) having no vocal inflection or emotion. They even completely re-recorded Dinkladge's lines and still went with a monotone delivery. Blagh. The ghost is basically 343 Guilty Spark but Guilty Spark actually had character and emotion! Robots don't have to be boring, Bungie. You used to know this.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 31, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Belzac posted:

Nah, legendaries are legit. By the end of D1 I wasn't even using exotic guns anymore because there were so many notable (read: op) purples available.

Just keep in mind the guns in the beta are a fraction of everything the full game will have.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah I prefer my games to edge towards the silly. Trailer was good. I'm gonna be buying this game twice, gently caress.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If this game took itself seriously goons would be saying that they would buy this game if it had more comedy elements but since it's too srs bns tryhard I'll be busy playing ${OtherGame} instead

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wow that commercial was poo poo

However I can understand it as a marketing choice, targeting the lowest common denominator with a Deadpool rip off

Would have been nicer to have a more serious tone with some dark humour rather than monkey cheese jokes.

Almost as good as the CoD commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_87zvl0LcEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuzaxlddWbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ruORpxAXpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNxh7umVOZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Nn0tElaEE

Almost all featuring fat white males

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy