Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

R.I.P. Hogge Wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Day My Bum Went Psycho had two sequels, and already was by Andy Griffiths, author of the 'Just' series of children's books; Just Tricking, Just Annoying, Just Stupid, etc. I think the latest one was Just Macbeth.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What's whatever language that is for "park"? Does the pun translate?
That's Finnish. The movie is just called Jurassic Park over there, although the book is Dinosauruspuisto. It doesn't look like the pun translated very well if at all.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So the author of "My Immortal" has possibly issued a statement denying being the same person who wrote "Handbook for Mortals". I am becoming increasing convinced that 2017 isn't real and/or we didnt survive that plane crash. https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/my-immortal-fanfic-2017-update/

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I shouldn't be surprised there's so many people who knew about My Immortal but did not know it was a joke that the author had to explain it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In the Let's Read, it's getting worse.

Carrot Top and Wayne Newton have appeared to fawn over the author avatar.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Farts and poo is basically a genre of children's literature.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

chitoryu12 posted:

This is extra amusing when you recall Carrot Top having turned into a steroids monster.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What's whatever language that is for "park"? Does the pun translate?

Puisto. So no, you can't really make it work.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Jerry Cotton posted:

Farts and poo is basically a genre of children's literature.

Speaking as a parent of three young boys... fart jokes become funny some time before your second birthday, and stop being funny... basically never.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Groke posted:

Speaking as a parent of three young boys... fart jokes become funny some time before your second birthday, and stop being funny... basically never.

Yeah, but even before your second birthday, actual farts are funny.

e: Well, your own.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Jo Nesbø? Really? Huh.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

New York Times Bestseller

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Re: Dan Simmons The Abominable

Ambitious Spider posted:

I know I just said there's no middle ground with Simmons but this might be it. It's the same gimmick as terror or drood but executed poorly. Mileage may vary Depending on how much you enjoy mountain climbing stories. I read it at a time I was on a big Everest kick so I enjoyed it, but it's the weakest of his good novels and the twist is kind of groan worthy.

Comrade Koba posted:

Cool. Just recently reread Into Thin Air, so I'll probably give it a try. :)

Just finished it, and holy poo poo you weren't kidding. 90% of the book is the main character massively sperging out over the various minutiae of mountain climbing.

The twist being groan-worthy is a serious understatement. If I'd been a 14-year old edgelord I'd probably have loved it.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

E: double post

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I like to imagine that the second and third act are literally just the same words copypasted much like the above posts. It'd really be something wouldn't it?

E: aw poo way to step all over my amazing forums joke

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the finns

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I just learned that my little sister loved RPO and listened to the audiobook twice. :rip:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sever.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

She's my best friend in this world. :( I asked her what she liked about it and she liked that it was read by Will Wheaton, so could be worse I guess.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

WrenP-Complete posted:

She's my best friend in this world. :( I asked her what she liked about it and she liked that it was read by Will Wheaton, so could be worse I guess.

That is worse.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Maradonia chat: I just realized Gloria Tesch was born in '94, making her 23 this year. Does she have the slightest bit of embarrassment or shame for the godawful self-insert book she wrote when she was in middle school? I mean, poo poo, I wrote a loving -binder- full of Peter Pan and the Pirates fanfiction when I was 11 but 25 years later it's sitting on a shelf in the back of my closet for nostalgia's sake and will never, ever be shown to anyone because dear god

fe: also it is objectively better written than Maradonia

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
She was still loving that chicken in 2014, but lately it seems that she's changed her tack. I think that the spectacular failure of her Indiegogo drive for the Maradonia movie knocked some sense into her about that whole project (although she still seems as egomaniacal as ever).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheKennedys posted:

Maradonia chat: I just realized Gloria Tesch was born in '94, making her 23 this year. Does she have the slightest bit of embarrassment or shame for the godawful self-insert book she wrote when she was in middle school? I mean, poo poo, I wrote a loving -binder- full of Peter Pan and the Pirates fanfiction when I was 11 but 25 years later it's sitting on a shelf in the back of my closet for nostalgia's sake and will never, ever be shown to anyone because dear god

She was dating a music producer for awhile and made some truly awful music videos. Last I heard she was going the Instagram ho route. More power to her, she might be pretty enough in the generic socal style to pull it off.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just got off a livestream where this dude I'm following read a terrible book. The stream's 3.5 hours long, but sooo worth listening to if you have the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hufEKggev2o

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CommissarMega posted:

Just got off a livestream where this dude I'm following read a terrible book. The stream's 3.5 hours long, but sooo worth listening to if you have the time:
Holy poo poo, I've been trying to find this thing for the past few years and couldn't remember enough about it to search. Awesome.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Book......MARKED (sorry I got infected by all the ellipsis from the book's Amazon description)

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Comrade Koba posted:

Re: Dan Simmons The Abominable

Just finished it, and holy poo poo you weren't kidding. 90% of the book is the main character massively sperging out over the various minutiae of mountain climbing.

The twist being groan-worthy is a serious understatement. If I'd been a 14-year old edgelord I'd probably have loved it.

I gave up about 300 pages in because of all the god drat climbing bullshit. Can you spoiler the ending please?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

poly and open-minded posted:

I gave up about 300 pages in because of all the god drat climbing bullshit. Can you spoiler the ending please?

I haven't read it but I heard the infamous ending involves the main character getting to the top of Everest and finding photographs of Hitler loving kids

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

poly and open-minded posted:

The kid that died on the previous expedition was really a kickass super-spy. When they finally find his frozen corpse, they find out he was carrying a secret weapon to use against the Nazis: a set of detailed photographs of Hitler having gay sex with Jewish kids.

In the epilogue, the protagonist personally hands the pictures over to Winston Churchill, who later uses them to blackmail Nazi Germany into not invading Britain.

Comrade Koba has a new favorite as of 07:13 on Sep 3, 2017

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Comrade Koba posted:

The kid that died on the previous expedition was really a kickass super-spy. When they finally find his frozen corpse, they find out he was carrying a secret weapon to use against the Nazis: a set of detailed photographs of Hitler having gay sex with Jewish kids.

In the epilogue, the protagonist personally hands the pictures over to Winston Churchill, who later uses them to blackmail Nazi Germany into not invading Britain.

:psyduck:

Tahjir
Oct 6, 2009

TheKennedys posted:

If by shame you mean starring in the movie adaptation of her books, directed by her father, then yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Q0BZsZ8ns

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Rough Lobster posted:

I haven't read it but I heard the infamous ending involves the main character getting to the top of Everest and finding photographs of Hitler loving kids

Ha ha good joke.

Comrade Koba posted:

Oh.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Comrade Koba posted:

Now I'm wondering if Hyperion was some kind of anomaly. Seriously, WTF is up with that ending?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Ha ha good joke.

Oh.

Yeah, it's exactly as dumb as it sounds.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Comrade Koba posted:

Man that's my favorite episode of Danger-5

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Tahjir posted:

If by shame you mean starring in the movie adaptation of her books, directed by her father, then yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Q0BZsZ8ns

Yeah, I guess I knew this horrible poo poo was from 2014, I've seen the sporking and cringed through as many seconds of the clips as I can bear, it's just weird that that was only three years ago. Her website seems to be 99% fashion/instagram stuff now so maybe she's backing off the Maradonia train a bit.

In non-Gloria Tesch content, I'm rereading David Eddings' Redemption of Althalus for about the 97th time because I love Eddings despite his many, many flaws, and the older I get the more his incessant need to explain jokes and drag out every dialogue exchange three times longer than necessary to get in the required "Now now, Althalus" "Yes, dear" joke every other page bothers the gently caress out of me. The man is just not good at dialogue, particularly in his later stuff. RoA feels almost like an anime when it comes to the awful tell-don't-show dialogue, and I seem to remember not being able to get through the Dreamers series because it was basically the Belgariad all over again.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Comrade Koba posted:

looks like i made the right choice!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everything Eddings wrote after the Belgariad was just the Belgariad repackaged. The only good book in the Mallorean was the first one because it had a unique concept. You don't see many fantasy novels that deal with the aftermath of the climactic save the world plot, so Guardians of the West devolves into this really funny mess of situations where Garion has no clue how to be a king and has to handle all the bullshit his companions get up to when they aren't united against the Angarak nations.

And then the rest of the series happens and it's just the Belgariad all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Everything Eddings wrote after the Belgariad was just the Belgariad repackaged. The only good book in the Mallorean was the first one because it had a unique concept. You don't see many fantasy novels that deal with the aftermath of the climactic save the world plot, so Guardians of the West devolves into this really funny mess of situations where Garion has no clue how to be a king and has to handle all the bullshit his companions get up to when they aren't united against the Angarak nations.

And then the rest of the series happens and it's just the Belgariad all over again.

Yeah, I mean, that's fair :smith: I still unironically enjoy the Elenium but the whole Sparhawk/Ehlana age gap gets super creepy once you get older and realize he's supposed to be like 40+.