Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bolow posted:

Almost level 20 and this is far better than I expected. Whatever this coastal city is though can go gently caress itself for being a tedious pain in my rear end to navigate

Till Sea Swallows All

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Just wait till you get to desert town.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Nah forest town is easily the worst.

The aethernet there is super lovely and it feels like the aetheryte should be in the other half.

I really like DLC ice town's layout though. You can aethernet to literally everything important.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kugane is the best town in the game now, sorry Limsa

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Limsa is ruled by a magnificent FemRoe
Kugane used to be ruled by a magnificent FemHyur but now is not.

It's a no contest, Limsa remains undefeated.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Limsa is ruled by a magnificent FemRoe

It's a no contest, Limsa remains undefeated.

Roegadame supremacy, and Merlwyb is their queen.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

something something if the quality if a ruler determined the quality of a country

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

something something if the quality if a ruler determined the quality of a country

Then Limsa would be the greatest city with immediate access to the market board from the moment you zoned in with astonishing architecture and amazing sights to see.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Then Limsa would be the greatest city with immediate access to the market board from the moment you zoned in with astonishing architecture and amazing sights to see.
not sure why you wouldn't just go to an FC house with a summoning bell next to the market board and zero people clogging the summoning bell by putting their character on top of it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, I agree about the guild house, but just push X man.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

X has never hidden players for me and I have no idea what people are talking about when they say to push X

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I like Gridania. Screw all you city slickers.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You hold X to hide player names.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

not sure why you wouldn't just go to an FC house with a summoning bell next to the market board and zero people clogging the summoning bell by putting their character on top of it

Because the FC aren't run by glorious Merlwyb and therefore suck by comparison. This is a circular problem.
I don't know what X does but I just push 0 on numpad to select the summon bell instantly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

You hold X to hide player names.

Yeah X hides player names and makes them non-interactable so clicking on the bell/npc/quest interactable/whatever clicks the thing not random dude 54325

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I like ul'dah because it has the closest grand company from the main aetheryte, which is realistically the only reason I ever visit a city anyway. Limsa's is on an entirely different map and even once you port to the closest mini aetheryte the walk is still longer than just going from the ul'dah one. Maybe limsa is still better than gridania though? it's a tossup.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

holding X also hides the summoning bell when I hit it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Velthice posted:

I like ul'dah because it has the closest grand company from the main aetheryte, which is realistically the only reason I ever visit a city anyway. Limsa's is on an entirely different map and even once you port to the closest mini aetheryte the walk is still longer than just going from the ul'dah one. Maybe limsa is still better than gridania though? it's a tossup.

Also because Raubahn is my waifu

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Ul'Dah probably would have been the starting city if this was a single-player Final Fantasy. A lot of the main plot of ARR centres around there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gridania probably would. Forest village/city feels right for a starter village, Port city for the second location and Desert town for the final major city.

Secluded small town feel of a forested village for a sheltered hero to grow up in leading to a economic trading hub with sea links to show how big the world is and a desert area to show that not every place in the world is easy to live in is a pretty established flow for RPGs

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Need a 10 hour version of this to be accurate.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ilifinicus posted:

That's not supposed to happen, did you rebind X to something

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ilifinicus posted:

Tapping zero on your number pad will target the summoning bell.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
X is actually bound to various ogcd abilties with medium-long cooldowns.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I prefer limsa to the goonhouse because there's also vendors a few feet away in case you also need to sell some trash. Whereas in the fc house you have to walk alllll the way indoors and hope nobody hid the vendor inside a kiln or behind a bookshelf or something

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You can sell from the retainer interface. Right-click on the item and there should be an option like "Have Retainer Sell Item".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Note that it makes it annoying to leave the retainer interface if you do that. Not a big deal but it'll trip you up for a couple of times.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I've at some point changed the Click Filter so that X wasn't doing what it does for everyone else

now it does

still not gonna go to limsa tho

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

It's probably because I associate it with growing up, but I still think XI had a better and catchier soundtrack than XIV. Not to say XIV's is bad by any means, but the zone and town (and even PlayOnline) music from XI is stuff I'll still find myself humming occasionally while with XIV I really only love a few of the trial or dungeon themes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just discovered this

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Verranicus posted:

It's probably because I associate it with growing up, but I still think XI had a better and catchier soundtrack than XIV. Not to say XIV's is bad by any means, but the zone and town (and even PlayOnline) music from XI is stuff I'll still find myself humming occasionally while with XIV I really only love a few of the trial or dungeon themes.

I agree. I feel like the music from XI was more noticeable, too, which I don't really feel is true of most of the XIV music other than a few areas. I do like a lot of the SB music though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I played FFXI for maybe 40 to 50 hours total compared to the maybe 300 to 400 days of FFXIV but FFXI tracks come to mind much more easily than FFXIV's.

Ronfaure alone is better than anything on the FFXIV OST.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Papaya's existence alone means you're wrong and stupid.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Pretty much any of the zone themes from XI put anything in XIV to shame. Ronfaure, Gustaberg, Sarutabaruta and their past versions come to mind.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I spent so much time killing worms and bees and quadavs in South Gustaberg that the music is burned into my brain.

And I love it. So loving good!

e: listening to the Bastok music right now, and that's really good too. It encapsulates the feeling of starting a new adventure.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Have we met the person in charge of Kugane? It's separate from Doma so...

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
So I found this a while back: https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XI-Music-Vanadiel/dp/B000A3H71M/

So far nothing I've heard in FFXIV even comes close to their rendition of the Jeuno theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUv7AzlvByU

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 31, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Have we met the person in charge of Kugane? It's separate from Doma so...

I dunno. I just assumed it was Yotsuyu.
If it wasn't, Kugane is super trash.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kugane is in Hingashi, a different country from Doma entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

I dunno. I just assumed it was Yotsuyu.
If it wasn't, Kugane is super trash.

All Othardian Look Same