Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I'm going to be staying in Shinjuku from Sept 17th to Sept 27th. Are there any recommendations for good sushi in the area? Conveyor belt (which the thread has taught me is not mutually exclusive with good sushi) would be cool, and the budget is like...<$75 (not strict at all). I think we have plans for good omakase somewhere else, and Tsukiji another day, so this is more like...convenient neighborhood place to grab lunch or dinner when we don't need to be in another part of the city.

Also I may be looking to peel away from the couple friends I'm with by the end, so like...Sunday 9/24 or Monday 9/25, I'd be down to meet up with goons if goons in Tokyo do that sort of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Have you considered walking around and entering any sushi joint in the area? I mean, you are talking about Shinjuku which is a very gigantic city center.

If not, try Tabelog.

*edit* PS if you want non-conveyer belt sushi and are in any major town, go to the top floor of any decently-sized department store.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 30, 2017

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For me the sweet spot with good yet affordable sushi is standing sushi, not conveyor belt sushi. The conveyor belt stuff tends to sit there going round and round for a while, so the freshness often isn't quite there.
Of course this is solved by simply ordering a fresh plate. But if you're doing that, why even bother going to a conveyor belt place?

Here's one! Uogashi Nihonichi is a fairly well known chain.
If you want to get more local here's another but I'm guessing they are a lot less gaijin-accessible. This is usually the case with any place where the menu is only posted on the wall...

If you just want to go to conveyor belt sushi for the novelty, pop into any place in Kabukicho and be done with it.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 30, 2017

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Zanmai gets my vote for bang for the buck sushi. Make sure you try the arajiru.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Stringent posted:

Zanmai gets my vote for bang for the buck sushi. Make sure you try the kanijiru.

ftfy

PS: dont be like me and order 3 plates of their 5-piece bluefin tuna specials.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Oh, it didn't need to be conveyor belt at all. It was just that I didn't want to make it seem like I only wanted something fancy as hell.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually if don't mind waiting for 20 mintues, try this place, set goes from 900, 1400 (no urchin) , 2400 (urchin). They open all day so go in weird hours if you don't want to wait. It's near Tokyo station

https://goo.gl/maps/wHnVfYidZir

Really fresh and good seafood rice. You can't go wrong (hence the lines)

ntan1 posted:

ftfy

PS: dont be like me and order 3 plates of their 5-piece bluefin tuna specials.

poo poo I always order the tuna special at 3000 yen.

unbutthurtable posted:

Oh, it didn't need to be conveyor belt at all. It was just that I didn't want to make it seem like I only wanted something fancy as hell.

If you are budget focus spend more time to find good ramen or tonkatsu

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Not that budget-focused, honestly. I just wanted to provide some kind of ballpark.

Thanks for all the replies!

And are there goonmeets where people meet up and grab beers and poo poo? I'd be down to meet goons one night if that's not weird in Tokyo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

zmcnulty posted:

For me the sweet spot with good yet affordable sushi is standing sushi, not conveyor belt sushi.

I've still never tried any of the Ore-no places.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

unbutthurtable posted:

And are there goonmeets where people meet up and grab beers and poo poo? I'd be down to meet goons one night if that's not weird in Tokyo

Yeah we can get something together.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stringent posted:

Wait I thought you were back in RTP?

I'm probably going to be on the 24th and 25th.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Must be thinking of someone else, I'm decidedly in Tokyo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stringent posted:

Must be thinking of someone else, I'm decidedly in Tokyo.

Aha, found where I got mixed up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707512&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=51#post473041886

Too many NC goons.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Stringent posted:

Rad -- is there some kind of app Japan goons use to communicate, or is the thread good?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My girlfriend and I are flying into Tokyo in mid-November and flying out of Osaka at the end of the month. We would like to spend some time hiking in the woods. The Internet keeps telling me to go to Kamikochi but it sounds like everything there shuts down on the 15th. I'm picturing either a quaint mountain town or a lodge with convenient access to multiple trails, not an epic backpacking destination. What're some good options for that sort of thing in November?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

unbutthurtable posted:

Rad -- is there some kind of app Japan goons use to communicate, or is the thread good?

There's a goon LINE group but chat volume is pretty high so might just be better off here unless you can deal with waking up to a backlog of 1000 messages

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lavaca posted:

My girlfriend and I are flying into Tokyo in mid-November and flying out of Osaka at the end of the month. We would like to spend some time hiking in the woods. The Internet keeps telling me to go to Kamikochi but it sounds like everything there shuts down on the 15th. I'm picturing either a quaint mountain town or a lodge with convenient access to multiple trails, not an epic backpacking destination. What're some good options for that sort of thing in November?

How about Kumano Kodo? As far as I know everything is open year-round, because I don't think it gets that much snow. Close to Osaka. Also it's huge, so you can choose to start anywhere, but I think people usually start from Koyasan. I was going to find a link for you but there are hundreds.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

LimburgLimbo posted:

There's a goon LINE group but chat volume is pretty high so might just be better off here unless you can deal with waking up to a backlog of 1000 messages

Hmm, yeah, I can't deal with that, so I'll just post in the thread once I'm in Tokyo.

Oh, and what should I be looking for in terms of good ramen?

I have Go Go Curry in NYC, which seems like it exists for tonkatsu in Tokyo, but I dig it so feel free to rec dope spots for that too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The best ramen is in all kinds of little indie shops but my favorite chain is Ichiran, I usually end up there every other day.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ask a kinda fat guy with nice clothes imo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The best ramen in Tokyo is kikanbo: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1066443-d1698900-Reviews-Karashibimisoramen_Kikanbo-Chiyoda_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Beyond that check out http://www.ramenadventures.com/?m=1 and pick what interests you.

Also yeah, for tonkotsu you're not gonna beat ichiran.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

ask a kinda fat guy with nice clothes imo

they only know volume for money places

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Ichiran is good and tasty but it's in NYC now so maybe do something else

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Stringent posted:

The best ramen in Tokyo is kikanbo: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1066443-d1698900-Reviews-Karashibimisoramen_Kikanbo-Chiyoda_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Beyond that check out http://www.ramenadventures.com/?m=1 and pick what interests you.

Also yeah, for tonkotsu you're not gonna beat ichiran.

Oh yeah, I've been to Ichiran here in NYC too, but good to know it's legit in Tokyo

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My group’s next planned trip to Japan seems to include a lot of scenic forest walks, traditional and local eating, temple sightseeing, etc.

So if anyone could tell me of something in Tokyo that’s even more tacky and garish than Robot Restaurant and Kawaii Monster Cafe that wold be fabulous.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Chinese tourists at Don Quixote?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Alcatraz ER?
Or one of the maid cafes?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Kikanbo is alright,

But I would pick aufumi or suzuran. Way better noodles and soup.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

.Z. posted:

Alcatraz ER?
Or one of the maid cafes?
We were considering something like The Lockup as the two gimmick restaurants we’ve been to so far (Ninja Akasaka and Eorzea) both have way better food than we expected. I’ll read up on Alcatraz!

Maid cafes aren’t really our jam.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

We were considering something like The Lockup as the two gimmick restaurants we’ve been to so far (Ninja Akasaka and Eorzea) both have way better food than we expected. I’ll read up on Alcatraz!

Anata no Warehouse might also be up your alley, thought it's an arcade and not a restaurant.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

.Z. posted:

Anata no Warehouse might also be up your alley, thought it's an arcade and not a restaurant.
And it's absolutely amazing! I'm actually trying to find excuses to go back to Kawasaki so I can go again.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've still not been there, but there's the fishing restaurant in Shinjuku: https://www.picrumb.com/unique/zauo/

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Stringent posted:

I've still not been there, but there's the fishing restaurant in Shinjuku: https://www.picrumb.com/unique/zauo/
I’m not a seafood fan myself but my friends would love that!

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Question about the Japan Rail Pass: how exactly do reservations work?

It sounds like you just go to the ticket counter when you arrive at the station and book a seat on the soonest available. Is it common for the next train to be fully booked and to have to wait a while? I'm hoping to visit Kyoto and Hokkaido for a couple days each during a business trip to Tokyo, but my free time is dependent on how work goes so I'm going to be making hotel reservations etc. fairly last minute and wondering if I can just show up to the station and get the next train whenever, or if this needs to be thought out in advance a little more.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You don't have to make a reservation; you can just get on any train as long as you sit in the unreserved trains (usually the first few and/or the last few cars).

Unless you're riding at a particularly busy time of day/year, you will have a seat. If you make a reservation, you'll just sit in one of the cars with reserved seats, basically like how seats on airplanes work.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shinkansen leave every 15-30 minutes. You won't have to wait long. Reserved tickets give you a car and seat number so you can be certain.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
C/Ped from Idiots on Social Media:

Spider Barbie posted:

:qq: Why won't these meidos talk to me and only me like in my animes :qq:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Is it weird to go to a ryokan by yourself?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

yeah kinda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Moon Slayer posted:

Is it weird to go to a ryokan by yourself?

I've done it a few times, it was quite nice.