Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Space Racist posted:

I'm assuming Marco has that seat for as long as he wants it owing to his last name?

As long as his dad owns the team, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Does his dad think he's poo poo, too?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It doesn't matter what he thinks, or what anyone thinks. His last name sells sponsorship.

Also Pruett/Miller haven't backed down from their reporting that Honda/Rossi and Andretti is a done deal. Pretty interesting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If it were anyone else, I'd be a little wary, but given those two, yeah... I think it's all but confirmed at this point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

As long as his dad owns the team, yes.

I'd say yeah, it's his until he retires, because Paul Tracy already nailed his only other ride option.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

It doesn't matter what he thinks, or what anyone thinks. His last name sells sponsorship.

Which is weird because Andretti (the superteam) has had the worst of it lately with being under-sponsored. Unlike Penske or Ganassi, Andretti basically needs to be subsidized by one of the manufacturers either through Sato/Rossi's Honda money or whatever Chevy was offering.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
....So his name doesn't actually net sponsorship.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Marco's name helps offset some of the carbon fibre cost

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wirth1000 posted:

....So his name doesn't actually net sponsorship.

hes got more sponsors than rossi or sato's car, and had a fulltimer signed until they went bankrupt right before the season, so

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have to wonder whether DHL would follow RHR or stick with AA.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have to wonder whether DHL Butterball would follow RHR or stick with AA.
Fixed, best sponsor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

Fixed, best sponsor.

An even harder question to answer because I'm not sure who's better worse in those commercials, Ryan or Michael.

With all that said it's a moot point because RHR is The Guy Who Told Roger No. Either RHR or AA would need to gently caress up in completely unprecedented ways for them to part ways.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Looks like we've got a chance for our first rain race of the season this weekend at The Glen

https://twitter.com/RaceWx4You/status/902748471882547201

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Alonso to Andretti, Rossi to McLaren in a one year swap deal while Honda get their poo poo together in F1, the boldest prediction

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vando posted:

Alonso to Andretti, Rossi to McLaren in a one year swap deal while Honda get their poo poo together in F1, the boldest prediction

Strong avatar text/post combo here.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Veach nearing multiyear deal with new sponsor at Andretti:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143632-veach-never-been-this-close-to-full-time-indycar-drive

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

And Uritia close to a third SPM seat perhaps in combo with Bellardi:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143637-urrutia-to-indycar-by-sonoma

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/902990632393863170

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yes, Nando. Yes.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
NandyCar Series 2018: Sí, Nando. ¡Sí!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

God, I love that man.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

He's gonna gently caress with us for the rest of the off season, isn't he? :argh:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Don't get your hopes up, because reports today suggested that McLaren are about to drop Honda for Renault, but I'm pretty confident he'd come to IndyCar full-time if McLaren stuck with Honda for 2018.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So TK has a ride next year but its not at Penske, Ganassi, or Rahal. I doubt its Andretti either. Could it be the #7 for SPM? Maybe taking the #21 over for JR at Ed's shop? Or, dare we think it, Foyt?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

So TK has a ride next year but its not at Penske, Ganassi, or Rahal. I doubt its Andretti either. Could it be the #7 for SPM? Maybe taking the #21 over for JR at Ed's shop? Or, dare we think it, Foyt?

Current TK at Foyt would be, uh...

Costly.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Muñoz isn't sure he'll have a seat next year so who knows.
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143628-munoz-unsure-about-his-indycar-future

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's mostly the car but he hasn't looked particularly impressive this year.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Bentai posted:

Muñoz isn't sure he'll have a seat next year so who knows.
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143628-munoz-unsure-about-his-indycar-future

From everything I've heard, after Munoz was brought on-board by Foyt last year, AJ wanted to bring in a veteran driver to help mentor Munoz because AJ saw promise in him. However those plans were derailed by Foyt hiring Conor Daly. Allegedly Conor got his ride this season because Derek Daly or someone called in a long-standing personal favor owed by AJ

A likely 2018 scenario would be for Munoz to stay at Foyt and for them to bring in TK as that mentor for Munoz.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, it's official: http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/08/08-31-Andretti-staying-with-Honda-in-2018

Andretti is staying Honda.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they wouldn't confirm it until now was to make that domino video.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they wouldn't confirm it until now was to make that domino video.

It was a really good touch, I have to confess.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So now who's Alonso gonna drive for? :mad:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only thing that would surprise me was if Michael Andretti himself set up all those dominos, still a cool video

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Let's add another big driver to the silly season lineup, Brendan Hartley

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143665-lmp1-champ-hartley-on-honda-s-indycar-radar

Now I wonder if silly season would've been more sane if Andretti switched the Chevrolet at this point.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Brendon Hartley is a victim of the relentless and poo poo filled world of Red Bull contract drivers and I'm glad he found success elsewhere. He deserved a proper chance in F1 and he'd be a great addition to IndyCar.

Way better than that sack of cash Guiterrez who brings nothing.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Wirth1000 posted:

Way better than that sack of cash Guiterrez who brings nothing.

Nothing except for a sack of cash

Also Brendon Hartley would be amazing for IndyCar to nab

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The fact that some of the names being thrown around are actually legit drivers gives me a lot of hope for the future. :unsmith:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

In the Pruett/Miller podcast, they mention that Hartley is likely in the 10. Ganassi wanted Felix, but he can't get out of his contract. Looks like Ganassi could be anywhere from 2 cars to 4 next year, with TK and Chilton confirmed gone, and Chuck has most of a budget but is still short.

Still lots of shopping and moving going on. Andretti is looking to run 5 cars next year, but I imagine that would be dependent on someone with some cash like TK, Chilton, or Chuck joining.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Double post for cool vid:

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/903343049148833792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, confirmed:
-TK Rideless
-Harding is starting with Chaves and potentially one other