Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

zedprime posted:

Explosions in a technical sense have certain expectations on magnitude and extent of the pressure wave. It's sort of useful to be able to distinguish between gonna knock your windows out and blow your ears out vs it popped and is now burning off a smog feeding pillar of smoke.

That it's not flattening buildings in an explosion and just conflagrating is a small triumph with low enough expectations.

sure all that's technically true, but they didn't say it because they're pedantic, they said it to minimize any liability, so not only are they "distorting reality" through PR, they're doing it to save a few bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Terry Pratchett had a pretty OSHA request for the disposal of his unfinished work.

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/901028525200879616

https://twitter.com/Wiltshire_flo/status/902536668170866688

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/901037198665019392

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol five bucks the platters are still intact enough to get data off of

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah, that's a really stupid and wasteful way of getting rid of data in a HDD.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

yeah and the fact that they're going into a museum means it's inevitable that they'll be forensically examined thoroughly

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

zedprime posted:

Explosions in a technical sense have certain expectations on magnitude and extent of the pressure wave.

"Explosion" is a colloquial term. If you, say, heated a scuba tank until it ruptured, or overinflated a truck tire, it's perfectly correct to describe the term as an explosion.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol five bucks the platters are still intact enough to get data off of

Official sounding CDR-Recovery account says very likely unrecoverable based on those images https://twitter.com/CDRdatarecovery/status/902883415166521344

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's a symbolic thing because he didn't want his works being finished after his death jfc goons.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Former DILF posted:

sure all that's technically true, but they didn't say it because they're pedantic, they said it to minimize any liability, so not only are they "distorting reality" through PR, they're doing it to save a few bucks

*clutches pearls*

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

he saw what happened to frank herbert and went nawww

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

"I think we can replace all these janky old PLCs with something close to the metal. Have you ever heard of node.js?"

Oh my god this is great on so many levels

E: For the uninitiated, ladder logic is a graphical programming language designed to be accessible to 1970's maintenance electricians where all the code is made of hardware relay diagrams.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 31, 2017

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

zedprime posted:

Seems like conflicting info from similar sources, the tweet I quoted sourced Arkema as saying it wasn't exploding even after their Twitter said it was exploding.

My rule of thumb is an explosion ends with something knocked over. The behavior so far is interesting and dangerous for the conflagration and uncontrolled release of random reactive chemicals not because it's been knocking things over.

It's not an explosion unless someone's shoes get knocked off.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Pratchett probably had bacukps and other copies anyway. It's totally symbolic.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

And the gas. Are they inflating it with CO2? That's what it looks like to me. We used N2 instead of air at the truck place I worked at before. I've never heard of CO2 being used.

It's almost certainly just air. What you're seeing will be a combination of dust kicked up when the split rim fails and moisture from the previously high-pressure air condensing as it reaches ambient temperature and cools.

Enourmo posted:

Yeah, it's a video from the cage manufacturer basically going "look how good our cages are! buy them plz".

Lmao @ any shop using them, when I worked in a tire shop we'd have to do some sketchy poo poo sometimes. I lost track of the amount of heavy duty trucks I worked on where the operating pressure was like 80 psi, but the dumbass owner ran them at 150, which is the max rated pressure molded on the tire sidewall. And that's cold pressure, so on the road they heat up and pressurize well above that. It was always a joy gingerly reaching over the tire to undo the valve stem; I had a few valve cores turn into high-speed missiles when they unthreaded and flew out.

This is a cage for split rims; split rims have a nasty habit of appearing to be properly assembled right up to the point where the locking ring takes off for parts unknown at the speed of sound. For car and 4wd sizes, it's usually enough to chain them together for inflation*. Most tyre shops where I live don't know what they are, and those that do know what they are won't touch them (rightly so).

*: While you stand well out of harm's way behind a tree or something.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh my god this is great on so many levels

E: For the uninitiated, ladder logic is a graphical programming language designed to be accessible to 1970's maintenance electricians where all the code is made of hardware relay diagrams.

?????????

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

that's the first thing that came to mind when I saw that tire overpressure cage.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Humphreys posted:

Opening a portal to hell?

Those are isolator switches. They are not designed to be opened up when current is flowing through them.

They are in series with a circuit breaker. Opening the circuit breaker safely stops the flow of current. Once that happens you can open the isolators.

Many times isolators are used for safety (along with attaching grounds) on high-voltage systems.

Here is a good example where the interrupter failed on a single phase:
https://youtu.be/6GiIVze2Tac

This causes severe burning and damage to the contact surfaces of the isolation switch.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 1, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Differing points of view

quote:

The plant in Crosby manufactures organic peroxides, a family of compounds used in everything from pharmaceuticals to construction materials such as counter tops and pipes.

It sounds like they took their safety systems for granite.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
What happens to a person if they fall into liquid isopentane?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FunMerrania posted:

Isopentane, C₅H₁₂, also called methylbutane or 2-methylbutane, is a branched-chain alkane with five carbon atoms. Isopentane is an extremely volatile and extremely flammable liquid at room temperature and pressure.

Boiling point: 27.8 °C
Melting point: −161 to −159 °C

They're surrounded by boiling liquid and suffocate as it vaporizes.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

H225 (100%): Highly Flammable liquid and vapor [Danger Flammable liquids - Category 2]
H304 (100%): May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways [Danger Aspiration hazard - Category 1]
H315 (100%): Causes skin irritation [Warning Skin corrosion/irritation - Category 2]
H336 (100%): May cause drowsiness or dizziness [Warning Specific target organ toxicity, single exposure; Narcotic effects - Category 3]
H411 (100%): Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects [Hazardous to the aquatic environment, long-term hazard - Category 2]

Inhalation causes irritation of respiratory tract, cough, mild depression, irregular heartbeat. Aspiration causes severe lung irritation, coughing, pulmonary edema; excitement followed by depression. Ingestion causes nausea, vomiting, swelling of abdomen, headache, depression. (USCG, 1999)

Poor guy who fell in had a bad time :(

pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/2-Methylbutane

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
drat it, it's NEVER molten phenol.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Boogalo posted:

H225 (100%): Highly Flammable liquid and vapor [Danger Flammable liquids - Category 2]
H304 (100%): May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways [Danger Aspiration hazard - Category 1]
H315 (100%): Causes skin irritation [Warning Skin corrosion/irritation - Category 2]
H336 (100%): May cause drowsiness or dizziness [Warning Specific target organ toxicity, single exposure; Narcotic effects - Category 3]
H411 (100%): Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects [Hazardous to the aquatic environment, long-term hazard - Category 2]

Inhalation causes irritation of respiratory tract, cough, mild depression, irregular heartbeat. Aspiration causes severe lung irritation, coughing, pulmonary edema; excitement followed by depression. Ingestion causes nausea, vomiting, swelling of abdomen, headache, depression. (USCG, 1999)

Poor guy who fell in had a bad time :(

pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/2-Methylbutane

Oh no, not drowsiness!

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

FunMerrania posted:

It's density is about 0,62 g/ml, far less than water's. Humans are sacks of mostly dirty water, so he probably sunk to bottom pretty fast. This was probably helped by the isopentane near his skin vaporizing, which further decreased the density of the liquid around him. So he probably drowned relatively quickly. Still not a pleasant way to go, due to effects of isopentane on skin/insides and the vaporization freezing him but I think it's pretty unlikely that he paddled for ages before succumbing to vapors.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

lmao we're doomed

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I can only imagine he's smoking and has the engine running too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

This was literally an Always Sunny episode.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When common sense is abandoned in the great state of Texas *dun-dee-dun*

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WILDCARD BITCHES. YEE-HAW!

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

I thought gas stations would shut off the pump for people that tried this because "HUGE loving LIABILITY".

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
One brakecheck away from being turned into ghostrider.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neutrino posted:

I thought gas stations would shut off the pump for people that tried this because "HUGE loving LIABILITY".

Yeah, if they see it. A lot of stations have one person working nights who is also emptying the trash, stocking products, and doing every other drat thing.

Of course, if there is plausible deniability idiot management might allow it because big $ transaction.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Gas stations move enough product that an idiot assembling a bomb in their forecourt will be not overlooked no matter how change he's spending.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

TTerrible posted:

It's a symbolic thing because he didn't want his works being finished after his death jfc goons.

Adding a "delete hdd when dead" clause should be standard for all wills.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

Gas stations move enough product that an idiot assembling a bomb in their forecourt will be not overlooked no matter how change he's spending.

Again, some people in management are idiots. Source: had idiots work for me in management when I ran a place that sold gas. The bar for hiring in a lot of these companies is low.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ak Gara posted:

'To my family: Please find all my photo albums in the C:/Pictures directory - may these memories continue to enrich all your lives.

Please do not look in C:/Documents/Other/TaxForms/HighDef, though.'

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Phanatic posted:

This was literally an Always Sunny episode.

Is he using it to try to price gouge, or to run his generator for a long rear end time?

A non-specialized plastic bin cant be good to store it though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ak Gara posted:

We're not too far from this being the de facto state of things due to automatic/default encryption.