Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If anyone needed a 16 minute video explaining why Gamers and Tsurezure Children are the 1-2-knockout romcom punches of the season, well, here it is

https://youtu.be/NNS9UcKMa5U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I dropped Gamers as it grew increasingly clear it had no idea how to keep things going except through more total miscommunication. There's enough of that, but better, in some of the Tsurezure Children couples.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Armor-Piercing posted:

I dropped Gamers as it grew increasingly clear it had no idea how to keep things going except through more total miscommunication. There's enough of that, but better, in some of the Tsurezure Children couples.

Well pick it back up, they actually manage to resolve things in today's episode. (Although not intentionally.)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://my.mixtape.moe/jbdguy.webm

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

i hope these ads never stop

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnacondaHL posted:

If anyone needed a 16 minute video explaining why Gamers and Tsurezure Children are the 1-2-knockout romcom punches of the season, well, here it is

I keep hoping he goes back to focusing on OP's and ED's, but as it's been said before, as long as he stays the gently caress out of SAO, he's pretty dang solid. And both Gamers and Tsuredzure Children are fan-loving-tastic.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Your loss, dude. It's been pretty dang funny.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gamers is ok

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

I suspect I am perfectly fine with my only interaction with whatever show this is being through these vignettes getting posted on here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ahh I'm dying

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
what the gently caress was that

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

BOATGIRLS 2.0

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

AnacondaHL posted:

Anyone who thinks they need crap like this needs to be banned.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

StandardVC10 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOW8bdritCk

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Hargrimm posted:

I suspect I am perfectly fine with my only interaction with whatever show this is being through these vignettes getting posted on here.

Those are the entire show.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Armor-Piercing posted:

the only thing ive seen of Gamers is the bit where they list off all the things people bad at fighting games do and ive never felt more seen in my life

Makes Unnecessary Jumps Upon Approach

gamers seems good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

mother's basement thinks the animekiss guys are raking in thousands of dollars a day

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i doubt the smoochanime guys are making hecka money, i just think they suck rear end

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

mother's basement thinks the animekiss guys are raking in thousands of dollars a day

i dont understand this sentence

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Davincie posted:

Geoff Thew of the youtube channel "Mothers Basement" estimates that those behind the popular illegal anime streaming site "Gene Simmons & Friends Anime" make a large amount of money on a daily basis from ad revenue. I for one do not doubt this since they have a shitton of highly intrusive ads on there and they have a very high volume of traffic.

K. Flaps posted:

I dunno, I think it's cool that he highlights good shows and makes a case for them to be watched by people who may have passed them up because one is "GAMERS, the show for GAMERS" and the other is a 12 minute anime. At least it's better poo poo that most other anime youtube people.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In an age where like every second internet personality is somewhere on the Nazi spectrum, I am content to shrug off oddities like Mother's Basement.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie posted:

he made a long video saying the lovely anime streaming site kissanime that we will cleverly refer to indirectly makes literal millions

my take is kissanime blows

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

an actual dog posted:

It's so close to Shirobako in tone but with none of the heart and intelligence. That bothers me far more than it should.

Ah. That's too bad, I was hoping it would develop more of a heart and brain as it went on.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

he made a long video saying the lovely anime streaming site kissanime that we will cleverly refer to indirectly makes literal millions

my take is kissanime blows

I kind of admire the balls it must take to start a patreon as a pirate site at least

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is that Sakura's quest? It got really... not bad but just very flat with the second season. The last thing I saw was a two parter ending in a funeral and it's like... this just ain't fun anymore. I blame the new op.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know that Geoff takes a lot of guff because he gets paid to shill CrunchyRoll (and yes, CR have their share of issues, but as far as anime-centric streaming services go, they at least give it an honest try), but the dude's a legit good YouTuber and in most cases, his commentary / recommendations / breakdowns of the technical aspects of scenes, op's and ed's is quite good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I kind of admire the balls it must take to start a patreon as a pirate site at least

they didn't. he said in the video that it turned out it's entirely just a scam and not even the kissanime people are actually involved

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

the dude's a legit good YouTuber
i disagree, and not because he shills for crunchyroll or naruto mobile games or whatever

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kater posted:

Is that Sakura's quest? It got really... not bad but just very flat with the second season. The last thing I saw was a two parter ending in a funeral and it's like... this just ain't fun anymore. I blame the new op.
P.A. Works have a really odd "batting average" when it comes to their shows. On the one hand, they do have a bunch of original projects and that's always cool, but even that tends to be hit or miss. Shirobako, Kuromukuro and Hanasaku Iroha are, however, pretty rad. :)

Endorph posted:

i disagree, and not because he shills for crunchyroll or naruto mobile games or whatever
Ok. Agree to disagree, then.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Armor-Piercing posted:

Eh, it's not like Gamers has no idea how to keep things moving, it's just that (mis)communication is like the whole point of it which is appropriate for a comedy set in high school. It's ironic, though, that it took it like 5 episodes or something to properly communicate that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

Okay, let's have this discussion: What makes him a bad Youtuber?

I'm bringing this up because I disagree with you. Not liking him is one thing: His humor is definitely more hit and miss, and I can agreee with you for not digging that, since sometimes he'll just get masturabatory about a subject or prop up something in an egotistical manner that definitely comes across as douchebagy and pretentious. I will also agree that the shilling can be a bit of an issue, but I don't really see it affecting the quality of the content so much as just directing which shows/subjects he covers. His OP/ED Analyses are pretty in-depth and informative beyond a surface-level glance, and he usually does good editing to go along with it. He also doesn't have any *Weird Opinions* as far as I can tell, though feel free to point out if I'm wrong.

I don't think he's the best or anything, but he does make some good videos.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

My opinion on that guy: he did a decent video on Trails in the Sky

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I think he did a video on one of the Haikyuu OPs, that was pretty alright

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
What anime youtubers are good? I don't really 'know' anything about anime besides the shows I've liked; I wouldn't mind learning more about the industry or seeing analysis of stuff or whatever.

I saw a video by Dijibro talking about Gurren Lagann's character designs that I thought was pretty cool! A lot of that stuff probably seemed obvious to people who know anything about visual design, but I don't, so it was cool to me.

Is there more cool stuff along those lines?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

theyre all bad op

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Most people seem to agree Super Eyepatch Wolf and The Canipa Effect are good, and Giggurk's content is usually enjoyable from my perspective as well. Mother's Basement has cool videos, though you might not like the guy. :shrug:

The rest of the big names seem to be varying degrees of bland/awful from what I've seen.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

theyre all bad op

this

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't watched lot of either but Canipa and ceicocat's stuff seem pretty good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Look at this lazy-butt. :toughguy:

Eela6 posted:

What anime youtubers are good? I don't really 'know' anything about anime besides the shows I've liked; I wouldn't mind learning more about the industry or seeing analysis of stuff or whatever.

I saw a video by Dijibro talking about Gurren Lagann's character designs that I thought was pretty cool! A lot of that stuff probably seemed obvious to people who know anything about visual design, but I don't, so it was cool to me.

Is there more cool stuff along those lines?
Canipa Effect for animation, Super Eyepatch Wolf for the more personal stuff (though he does include information on things about the industry). Mother's Basement is good for his OP / ED analysis. Gigguk for the more joke-y stuff. Digibro is kind of weird. I personally find him to be an unlikeable fucknugget, even if some of his earlier stuff (like the videos he's done from Gurren Lagann and the one from Kill la Kill) was okay-ish.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 1, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wark Say posted:

Canipa Effect for animation, Super Eyepatch Wolf for the more personal stuff (though he does include information on things about the industry). Mother's Basement is good for his OP / ED analysis. Gigguk for the more joke-y stuff. Digibro is kind of weird. I personally find him to be an unlikeable fucknugget, even if some of his earlier stuff (like the videos he's done from Gurren Lagann and the one from Kill la Kill) was okay-ish.

I also think digibro is an utterly unlikeable fucknugget but he does say interesting things from time to time. Granted, often they're dumb things, but still interesting. Glass Reflections is like digibro's complete opposite, just the blandest most goring and innoffensive guy around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not familiar with this Glass Reflections' guy, but if he's Digibro's complete opposite, I'm betting he posted an hour-long video about how much Sword Art Online rules, and that sounds about as enticing as a chipotle enema.

• Locked thread