Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Some bonus art from the newest volume:

Momo is loving this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bakugou seems depressed

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
they switched personalities too. Todoroki is literally perfect lmao

edit: just look at tsuyu lel

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think they bodyswapped, so it's actually Bakugou getting a kick out of being in Momo's body. They all have facial expressions that match up to the original owners of the costumes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Hagakure is completely absent.

Manatee Cannon posted:

if it's a quirk disabling bullet, he can't do that either. he'll just get shot full stop

redirecting a bullet that's inside of you seems like it'd need even faster reaction time as well

I thought there was a second normal bullet gun. Oops.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Viridiant posted:

I think they bodyswapped, so it's actually Bakugou getting a kick out of being in Momo's body. They all have facial expressions that match up to the original owners of the costumes.

So quirks don't follow the bodies but they follow the minds, huh?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The framing of the last page, with the bullets and Eri, seems to have a lot of specific intent behind it. Mirio is probably not the target, but shooting at Eri would force Mirio to act to his own detriment.

And what's more, the bullets were in a separate case, on Overhaul's person, which would lend credence to them potentially being the "finished" version with stated permanent effects.

As much as I like Mirio, it's a bit hard to shake the feeling that he's around to impart some sort of a hard learned lesson upon Deku. He might wind up losing his quirk (or life) here.

e: wrote a post and didn't post and posted it later, whoops

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Owns all the bones.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The biggest thing Mirio has going for him is the shot being fired as an ending stinger page. These sort of cliffhangers are almost always subverted.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I can't decide who I like more in this picture, Momo or Tsuyu.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Jesus Christ, All Might really should have passed OFA to Mirio like he was supposed to.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Jesus Christ, All Might really should have passed OFA to Mirio like he was supposed to.

He would have. But he met Izuku first and passed it on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mirio is cool

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Could Deku potentially be immune to quirk cancelling bullets?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

they havent really given a lot of detail on how quirks actually work, especially in deku's case. The only real mention is the "quirk factor" stuff that came up when suneater got darted. If the quirk factor is a thing you are born with, and thus deku doesn't actually have one or something like that, then yeah he's potentially immune to the darts.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I can see deku getting hit and saving the day anyway. It's a good callback to the intro and he's ripped as gently caress

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, poo poo.

What if it hits her, permanently destroys her quirk, and then Overhaul just immediately stops caring about her? "Fine. Take her. She's no use to me now." Then Mirio technically "wins" but loses in every way that matters.

Losing her quirk is the only way she would ever be safe--once the yakuza are dealt with even if the info gets out, she's not a target for every upstart villain group for the rest of her life.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Eraserhead could cancel his power, so there's no reason the bullets wouldn't work.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mr. Fowl posted:

Losing her quirk is the only way she would ever be safe--once the yakuza are dealt with even if the info gets out, she's not a target for every upstart villain group for the rest of her life.
I'm not sure how Eri getting shot up with her own flesh and blood would harm her quirk, which is that her flesh and blood destroys quirks. I guess the finished bullets might do something depending on how they work but whatever quirk-destroying antibodies or whatever the hell it is she has I dunno if even a concentrated dose of it really makes a difference?

The bullets definitely don't do DAMAGE physically- but I could imagine Mirio not wanting her to get shot with ANYTHING could play into that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fabricated posted:

I'm not sure how Eri getting shot up with her own flesh and blood would harm her quirk, which is that her flesh and blood destroys quirks. I guess the finished bullets might do something depending on how they work but whatever quirk-destroying antibodies or whatever the hell it is she has I dunno if even a concentrated dose of it really makes a difference?

The bullets definitely don't do DAMAGE physically- but I could imagine Mirio not wanting her to get shot with ANYTHING could play into that.

She dampens quirks (See Suneater's getting shot). The quirk destroying bullets is a finished refined version of the serum that they just completed (hence the limited vials).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh, I have no idea if it would actually work. Just saying that if her quirk got disabled permanently, she'd have a shot at safety. Also, we know she has no special quirk immunity. Also the anti quirk bullets may have undergone refinement outside of her body--but it's entirely possible that all the refinement they were talking about was Overhaul messing with Eri's body.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd be very surprised if Fallout Boy dies but I think the manga and horikoshi as a whole would benefit from it happening.

Why, though? What would Mirio dying here add to the manga? Sure shonen manga has a tendency to skirt around death, but if death is going to happen I'd rather it serve a narrative purpose rather than just making the manga darker, edgier, or more realistic. We haven't had Mirio around long enough for his death to have a big impact (outside of those who immediately became infatuated with him, myself included) or teach any of the surviving characters any lessons beyond 'hey don't go off on your own.'

Slime posted:

That would support the theme that's been going on of having a single hero be some symbol is a bad idea, and that the world needs more that one person to do the job. Giving Mirio One For All, how much would that actually boost him up? He'd be able to punch real hard but he already prefers finesse to pure power. He'd be better, but not by much. Certainly much less of a boost than it is for Deku. Better to have two real strong heroes than a single stronger one.
Agree that it's way more of a boost for Deku to go from No Quirk to Super Strength, but it would have been way more of an upgrade to Mirio than that. If Mirio was able to move and fight the way he does but also hit as hard as Deku (harder, given Mirio's training and finesse), this arc would have been resolved this chapter with Chisaki, Kurono, and Nemoto completely wrecked from one OfA punch each. I do agree that Deku should have it to continue the Quirkless Underdog Rising story, but Mirio would have been boosted to near unstoppability with OfA.

EDIT: Also re: the chapter, the bullet is absolutely aimed at Eri. They'd have to suddenly dumb Mirio way down for him to not be able to phase through bullet he can both see and hear coming.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Why, though? What would Mirio dying here add to the manga? Sure shonen manga has a tendency to skirt around death, but if death is going to happen I'd rather it serve a narrative purpose rather than just making the manga darker, edgier, or more realistic. We haven't had Mirio around long enough for his death to have a big impact (outside of those who immediately became infatuated with him, myself included) or teach any of the surviving characters any lessons beyond 'hey don't go off on your own.'
Mirio getting de-quirked would be interesting depending on how he deals with it.

I think we know Mirio plenty well enough for him getting killed would be affecting; I don't think it'll happen just because this arc is implied to be long and no way would Aizawa and the UA faculty want Midoriya to continue his internship if Mirio gets gacked here.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 1, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think mha is gonna kill any of the students at any point, full stop

besides which ua is on thin ice and one of their best students straight up dying would probably get them shut down at this point. it'd be the bakugou situation but worse

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Agreed, UA having that many student abductions/injuries/fatalities back to back would be really bad for them.

'why is this yakuza base full of dead children'

Fabricated posted:

Mirio getting de-quirked would be interesting depending on how he deals with it.

I think we know Mirio plenty well enough for him getting killed would be affecting; I don't think it'll happen just because this arc is implied to be long and no way would Aizawa and the UA faculty want Midoriya to continue his internship if Mirio gets gacked here.
It would be in another manga, but he's not the main character so I don't know what impact it would have here. He's two years ahead of the main cast, he's in this arc to serve a purpose but I don't think if he gets hit by the anti-quirk bullet that we would get an arc about him learning how to live without it or anything. Though maybe if he becomes Deku's hand to hand tutor or something that would be fine, but I definitely don't think Deku of all people needs any lessons about living quirkless in a world full of quirks.

And it would be affecting in that people would be sad to lose such a great character, but I think death in shonen manga has to have more value than just being sad, especially if they're an important but not main character. Mirio is apart from the cast and has no personal ties to Eri or Chisaki, if he dies here... he just dies fighting a villain. Maybe the lesson is just 'these things can happen sometimes' but I don't think that's good enough to make it worth doing here. Eri taking the bullet, or him taking the bullet for her if we want to do the quirkless route, are much better than just killing him off just to kill him and let Chisaki get away.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think mha is gonna kill any of the students at any point, full stop

besides which ua is on thin ice and one of their best students straight up dying would probably get them shut down at this point. it'd be the bakugou situation but worse
Well, they're literally on the job now. Mirio's a third year, he's got a provisional license, and this is the gig. Loss of life and limb is part of it.

The real baffling thing is the first-years being here, even if they are accelerating their education in an attempt to prep them for more VA attacks. Mirio is 17-18 and is considered better than most working pros and has been at his internship for a year without incident. The 1-A kids are 15 and pretty fresh outside of having to defend themselves a few times.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 1, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's still a kid and they're still on thin ice. he's also one of their best and brightest

mirio's not gonna die

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd prefer if it nothing permanently bad happened to Mirio cause it would sort of deprive Midoriya the chance to surpass him through hard work and determination.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also cause my boy Mirio is kicking rad.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Hate-Senpai posted:

I'd prefer if it nothing permanently bad happened to Mirio cause it would sort of deprive Midoriya the chance to surpass him through hard work and determination.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Also cause my boy Mirio is kicking rad.

:hai:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hate-Senpai posted:

:agreed:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Best option is if Mirio gets de-powered and kicks the poo poo out of Overhaul anyway because POWERRRRRR knows no handicap.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Eraserhead could cancel his power, so there's no reason the bullets wouldn't work.

I thought they made a point of very explicitly stating Eraserhead worked differently

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought they made a point of very explicitly stating Eraserhead worked differently

It works differently in that Eraserhead's does not damage the quriks. He states he pretty much turns the quirk factor off, while Eri's blood bullets heavily damage it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

If Mirio or Eri gets depowered, maybe Shigaraki would step in to help? While he would probably have no interest taking in Eri, I can see him either stealing or destroying the rest of those Quirk Destroying bullets/vials and gloat to Overhaul that he got this far because he trusts his allies.

It's the only way I can see the heroes fulfilling their primary objective of saving Eri without any student death while also showing the VA is improving and show them as a threat.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So basically Shigiraki becomes Eri's new hero and she joins the VA? I hope she gets a costume and everything.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Eraserhead stops you flicking the switch but the serum smashes the switch with a hammer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Because MHA has been increasingly generic in terms of story telling this past year, which has "coincided" with a pretty large drop off in quality for the product as a whole in comparison to what it has been in its first couple of years.
Something to play outside the box of generic shonen would allow the the story to take a turn which is less expected and would allow Horikoshi to grow as a mangaka. Mirio biting it would be impactful because he's not actually an established character so you're not losing a lot overall, rather he's someone we're told and shown as being extremely talented, he has significance to All Might and Deku as the would be successor and the one AM chose before he chose Deku.

I totally doubt any student will die in the entirety of the manga, unless there's a time skip to when they're legal adults towards the end of its run.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Todoroki is even more chuuni than it actually is, this shouldn't be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
mirio won't die