Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

TheChirurgeon posted:

Given what we've seen in the released codexes, I disagree. The codex units changed very little from their index incarnations--mostly points costs and some errata--while the added elements were either simple faction rules or limited-use strategems and relics and nothing in the bunch struck me as overpowered. Having seen the first three codexes, I'm much less worried about complexity and power creep than I was.

Yeah, most of the games I play are against the dude who's teaching me to play's bigmarine army, and a lot of time is spent with him humming and harring over which of his special abilities and / or command abilities are going to kick in or he's going to use, and he's always going "Ah, no, actually I have this, so this happens" and him getting all these benefits and stuff, or him remembering he has pistols as well, so he gets some more attacks, and now he's going to use this grenade, and now this guy who died gets to make an attack on his way out, and he re-rolls all the ones he ever rolls and so on. And then its my go, and my neutron lasers kill all his stuff and I win. Like it feels at first like him having a codex puts him at a massive advantage, but it really doesn't seem to bear out that way. It all actually just seems cool and good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
For people keeping an eye on the Nova Open, basically kind of solidifies that Chaos and Astra Militarum are the top armies in early 8th.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

I'm looking at picking up a box of Agressors and putting the bolters on them. How effective have they been for those of you that have tried them?

They're an aerogel cannon but theyr'e hilariously effective when they get to shoot, and they're cheap enough that it doesnt sting too much when they die.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

!Klams posted:

Yeah, most of the games I play are against the dude who's teaching me to play's bigmarine army, and a lot of time is spent with him humming and harring over which of his special abilities and / or command abilities are going to kick in or he's going to use, and he's always going "Ah, no, actually I have this, so this happens" and him getting all these benefits and stuff, or him remembering he has pistols as well, so he gets some more attacks, and now he's going to use this grenade, and now this guy who died gets to make an attack on his way out, and he re-rolls all the ones he ever rolls and so on. And then its my go, and my neutron lasers kill all his stuff and I win. Like it feels at first like him having a codex puts him at a massive advantage, but it really doesn't seem to bear out that way. It all actually just seems cool and good to me.

Ha, he sounds like a pain in the rear end to play with. But generally, I think that the limits on the new codex abilities puts a natural check on them--strategems are limited use and relics, while free, are powered appropriately as a result, typically applying a minor damage/s bonus over the weapons they replace. I definitely think that for the army strategems you have to have a plan on when and how you want to use them, and which ones to use, otherwise you're just better off using the standard 3 strategems, which are still very useful.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Uroboros posted:

For people keeping an eye on the Nova Open, basically kind of solidifies that Chaos and Astra Militarum are the top armies in early 8th.

Is there a good source for viewing 40k tournament results?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TWSS posted:

Is there a good source for viewing 40k tournament results?

If you pay the fee associated with the BCP App you can view almost all major events and their lists in near real time as long as the TOs are uploading everything like they should.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

Like the Terminus Ultra? :v:

:thejoke:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

But I need an Index if I want to take units/loadouts that aren't in the codex, right?

Yeah, but so far there's very few of those and a lot of them are weapon options which are generic or exist in other places so all you really need to know is the points, and how often does that come up in a game? Chapter Approved may even include updated point costs for index stuff (purely speculation on my part, though).

Even if you took it to the absolute max and decided you were going to run an SM bike army with all the characters + rifle dreads + twin HB land speeders, you could easily get away with photocopying the two or three pages the characters are on so you were sure to have the right stat line, or have a picture on your phone, whatever. It's not ideal but it's not that bad - not as bad as I understand 7th was with e.g. Ad Mech being split across two books, or the 3rd edition SM Chapter books which mostly just said 'refer to Codex: Space Marines'.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Chapter approved sounds a lot like AoS' General's Handbook in that it has new game modes and lists for armies without their own books + updated points etc..

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If vehicle design rules come back I'm going to cult limo so hard.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If vehicle design rules come back I'm going to bolt the biggest gun possible on the weakest platform possible, in true ork fashion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If vehicle design rules come back I'm going to bolt the biggest gun possible on the weakest platform possible, in true ork fashion.

Bring back gorkamorka next please

If they were smart they'd have gorkamorka as a base/vehicles supplement to necromunda and then update the SW:A faction rules so that all of them were interchangable.

Proper 40k skirmish game to get people into the hobby.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

They're an aerogel cannon but theyr'e hilariously effective when they get to shoot, and they're cheap enough that it doesnt sting too much when they die.

So if I throw a five man squad in an anti-infantry Repulsor I can probably just stop worrying about large masses of enemy infantry?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Pendent posted:

So if I throw a five man squad in an anti-infantry Repulsor I can probably just stop worrying about large masses of enemy infantry?

Doesn't a lot of their firepower come from not moving, and disembarking counts as moving?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Yeah, but so far there's very few of those and a lot of them are weapon options which are generic or exist in other places so all you really need to know is the points, and how often does that come up in a game? Chapter Approved may even include updated point costs for index stuff (purely speculation on my part, though).

Even if you took it to the absolute max and decided you were going to run an SM bike army with all the characters + rifle dreads + twin HB land speeders, you could easily get away with photocopying the two or three pages the characters are on so you were sure to have the right stat line, or have a picture on your phone, whatever. It's not ideal but it's not that bad - not as bad as I understand 7th was with e.g. Ad Mech being split across two books, or the 3rd edition SM Chapter books which mostly just said 'refer to Codex: Space Marines'.

I like that when the 8th marine codex came out I was up to more pages I'd carry around (including the awful giant core book) then my raptors battle company+inquisitor+sisters of silence list I was using at the end of 8th.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Felime posted:

Doesn't a lot of their firepower come from not moving, and disembarking counts as moving?

They're still assault 6 plus the fragstorm when they move which looks pretty solid for the points cost. They're pretty short ranged though, so I've been thinking they'd be a good fit for a Repulsor.

They do seem pretty obscene when standing still though. 12+2d6 is a lot of shots for a single model.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Naramyth posted:

I like that when the 8th marine codex came out I was up to more pages I'd carry around (including the awful giant core book) then my raptors battle company+inquisitor+sisters of silence list I was using at the end of 8th.

You could replace the rulebook with the foldout of the rules that came with the 8th box set, if you've got it. I'm hoping they do a smaller paperback rulebook that's just Rules + Missions at some point.

e: I'm still pretty much ahead, but it would be really hard for them to top 7th Rulebook + CSM codex + Traitor Legions + IA 13

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
I just wanted to pop in here and say that for those of you going to NOVA Open (and are already there), I hope you have an amazing time! I am incredibly jealous of the folks there and hope to make it next year.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

that's all fair, but we're two months into this edition and if i'm going to do things the proper, non :files: way, i may already need three books for my one army, plus the rule book. it doesn't give me a good feeling.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

You could replace the rulebook with the foldout of the rules that came with the 8th box set, if you've got it. I'm hoping they do a smaller paperback rulebook that's just Rules + Missions at some point.

e: I'm still pretty much ahead, but it would be really hard for them to top 7th Rulebook + CSM codex + Traitor Legions + IA 13

The foldout does not have the matched play rules (including missions and deployments)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

:smugdog::pipe:

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
:golfclap:

Edit: Thinking on the codex an book keeping issue yeah there is already quite a bit an more coming no doubt.

Right now in CSM I need the index for bike characters which I run, chaos codex for everything else an really really hoping whatever chapter approved is lets me make custom land raiders and if so then I need that. Three books.

Not to mention if deamons get an update an I want to mix those that'll be another book.

7th was more or less this, several books only using small chunks of some an majority of others not to mention faq which they had to do already just to make god marines a proper troop choice.

Gw is gw you'll need tons of junk but I think its a little silly to try to say you don't need that much book keeping already. Thankfully battle scribe exists but it'd be a nightmare without it.

For_Great_Justice fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 31, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Ok so the first NOVA fight I have is 1850 so I might be able to do it.

I hope there's parking

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

that's all fair, but we're two months into this edition and if i'm going to do things the proper, non :files: way, i may already need three books for my one army, plus the rule book. it doesn't give me a good feeling.

To be honest I’m impressed how hard they work to make sure everyone can use practically anything they’ve ever purchased. I’m a relative newcomer so I don’t need any indexes or anything but it seems like most companies would eventually stop supporting poo poo they haven’t sold in over a decade.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Anyone aware of decent tournaments or conventions in the Midwest? I'm in Nebraska and there's not a ton locally.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Immanentized posted:

Anyone aware of decent tournaments or conventions in the Midwest? I'm in Nebraska and there's not a ton locally.

Where in NE? I think there's a con in Omaha and Kansas City isn't too far

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ha, he sounds like a pain in the rear end to play with. But generally, I think that the limits on the new codex abilities puts a natural check on them--strategems are limited use and relics, while free, are powered appropriately as a result, typically applying a minor damage/s bonus over the weapons they replace. I definitely think that for the army strategems you have to have a plan on when and how you want to use them, and which ones to use, otherwise you're just better off using the standard 3 strategems, which are still very useful.

Ah nah, he's great, it's just for me, I only need to know a handful of rules, because he's teaching me the game, so if I don't know something he just explains it, and I'm still frequently forgetting stuff, so he's trying to remember the game rules, all his new spangly codex stuff, and all my rules, lol.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Immanentized posted:

Bugeater in Omaha, Flying Monkey in Witchita (this weekend, still have tickets, come ham slam!), there is a good group in Lincoln, Bartlesville OK does Iron Halo. Renegade up in the Twin Cities, and Kansas City does an event I can't remember.

I'm in North Dakota and am pretty drat familiar with the events along I94.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
You should all come to the Las Vegas Open in January.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Naramyth posted:

Bugeater in Omaha, Flying Monkey in Witchita (this weekend, still have tickets, come ham slam!), there is a good group in Lincoln, Bartlesville OK does Iron Halo. Renegade up in the Twin Cities, and Kansas City does an event I can't remember.

I'm in North Dakota and am pretty drat familiar with the events along I94.

poo poo, bugeater is right here then. Might have to check all these out- thanks for the knowledge

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
We are a good group in Lincoln, thanks

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well now I've painted 35 levels of my Warriors of Iron.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

How have your games of 8th edition gone so far, by the way? How do they compare to your games of 7th?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Thundercloud posted:

Looking sick dude. Would have maybe painted the right shoulder on the Reivers black as well, to break up some of that silver, but otherwise they're spot on.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

OhDearGodNo posted:

Ok so the first NOVA fight I have is 1850 so I might be able to do it.

I hope there's parking

Also my tanks aren't going to be fully painted, I'll be able to finish them tomorrow. Hope it's not an issue.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Thundercloud posted:

That IW head swap is a nice and subtle good conversion

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

How have your games of 8th edition gone so far, by the way? How do they compare to your games of 7th?

im enjoying how streamlined it is comparatively but the lack of decent cover rules really kills my enjoyment of it. also the touted quickness of the game feels artificial in that turns take about as long but the game is usually decided sooner. im still standing around holding my dick for ages while my opponent takes his turn and vice versa.

also the inexplicable number of identical special rules with different names does my head in. it's not AoS shields bad but still.

what id really love (aside from cover) is for 40k to have some kind of alternating activation system like epic did. the fight phase is a tease like this and i think it works well, but poo poo like the first turn is still too goddamned important and i hate removing chunks of our armies before the have a chance to do anything. i dont see that changing tho.

also like i said having poo poo spread out across multiple books two months in doesnt give me hope for where things are heading wrt creep and ease of play.

its a step forward, and im hopeful that they listen to feedback like they seem to be doing for AoS, but i still cant say its a good game compared to some of the alternatives out there. ofc im still gonna keep playing it cause ive been in this hobby too drat long and am a sucker for the universe.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Thundercloud posted:

Hey nice that looks very close to the color scheme for my Primaris that I posted here

Of course you are a far more competent painter than I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

goose willis posted:

Hey nice that looks very close to the color scheme for my Primaris that I posted here

Of course you are a far more competent painter than I am

My painting guide is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist