Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Well this is precious. We found a deer up in a tree a few years back. Have fun finding your goat when that happens and you forget to look up, and all your dog did was bark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

"Wow why are the regulars either absent or mean???"

:shepicide:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have 3.2 but they all signed up for this here outfit.

:ohdear: i just dont like to see doggies get mutilated.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

so to sum up: based on their own website they have two 13+ year old dogs who are still doing some level of work but that the owners know are nearing retirement, they have a yearling dog who's learning the ropes, and their main predator is mountain lions. they let their LGDs work apart from humans, as do the vast majority of people using LGDs on their farms. they should be put to death for their crimes against dogkind.

Wheats fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 31, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Wheats posted:

how many head have you lost to mountain lions in the U.K.

The big farm is in Australia which is a completely different challenge to America.

Monitoring your animals is different depending on the area and amount of animals on it. Large area and you need people out doing regular checks, small enclosed area that animals can't escape from needs constant monitoring. Ever see a fox get in a hen house? It's utterly devastating because the hens will all flock to one side to try and get away from it and will end up suffocating.

So your livestock guarding dog will bark at a mountain lion? What happens next? Either the lion will get spooked and flee or attack your dog. In 3.5 acres where the gently caress is it going to go? Did anyone hear the dog and will they be able to come to it's rescue or are they at work or worse, sat in bed going "dog's are barking" and ignoring them?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

The big farm is in Australia which is a completely different challenge to America.

Monitoring your animals is different depending on the area and amount of animals on it. Large area and you need people out doing regular checks, small enclosed area that animals can't escape from needs constant monitoring. Ever see a fox get in a hen house? It's utterly devastating because the hens will all flock to one side to try and get away from it and will end up suffocating.

So your livestock guarding dog will bark at a mountain lion? What happens next? Either the lion will get spooked and flee or attack your dog. In 3.5 acres where the gently caress is it going to go? Did anyone hear the dog and will they be able to come to it's rescue or are they at work or worse, sat in bed going "dog's are barking" and ignoring them?

you think a tibetan mastiff working in teams need saving from a mountain lion

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Instant Jellyfish posted:

"Wow why are the regulars either absent or mean???"

:shepicide:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

And no. Foxes don't get in my hen house because my dogs murder the ever loving poo poo out of them the second they get in the fence and rip them apart while wildly playing with the still twitching limbs. Because that's what good LGDs do.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The good doggies help the big kitties go night night so they don't bother their sheepy friends.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The good doggies help the big kitties go night night so they don't bother their sheepy friends.

do the kitty friends get to count the sheepies so they go night night faster?!

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

learnincurve posted:

they aren't there to bark. they're there to aggressively defend the livestock. this is why they have multiple dogs. two dogs in a pair can drive off much larger predators. the dog doesn't need to "go" anywhere. i'm not sure why you're assuming that people who work with LGDs sit in bed when they hear barking- you go check, but there is no need to be "monitoring" every enclosure 24/7 unless you're on a large-scale industrial operation where they can pay some poor rear end in a top hat for that.
for the record, i've never had to see the aftermath of a fox in a henhouse, because all the farmers i hang out with have loving LGDs.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Someone save the puppies!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Maybe not a lion but a bear would be a problem wouldn't it? Our mountain dog's best toy was a rear tractor tyre with a chain attached, that fucker would grab hold of the chain and pull this thing around the yard for laughs. Then bark and run like hell if it saw a snake.

If those sheep are so expensive then pump that profit back into better fences, electric fences and cameras, 3.5 acres is so puny and tiny.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So we just got a dog from a rescue, and we looked for months before settling on this girl:

She's really chill, and loves our little kids. She doesn't bark and is very good natured. We've had her for about two months.

Curious what breed she is, the rescue thinks she's part Australian Shepard, but I figure I'd throw it out there if anyone had a better idea.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh no those poor sweet babies. :(

Again: my 1.5 year old LGD male went under a fence to eat a bear's face and charge it down the loving road in may because it looked sideways at his sheep.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

learnincurve posted:

Maybe not a lion but a bear would be a problem wouldn't it? Our mountain dog's best toy was a rear tractor tyre with a chain attached, that fucker would grab hold of the chain and pull this thing around the yard for laughs. Then bark and run like hell if it saw a snake.

If those sheep are so expensive then pump that profit back into better fences, electric fences and cameras, 3.5 acres is so puny and tiny.

what part of mountain lions is a fence going to solve?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wanna cuddle those big teethy furballs

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Bears out here are mostly giant loving babies who will run off unless you are between them and their cub. A dog can absolutely chase them off and an electric fence won't do poo poo.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So we just got a dog from a rescue, and we looked for months before settling on this girl:

She's really chill, and loves our little kids. She doesn't bark and is very good natured. We've had her for about two months.

Curious what breed she is, the rescue thinks she's part Australian Shepard, but I figure I'd throw it out there if anyone had a better idea.

Got yerself an American Browndog. I'm not sure why they thought aussie because she doesn't look anything like an aussie and if she's chill and loves little kids probably doesn't act anything like an aussie either. It's really hard to say with generic browndogs like that because they're usually a mix of a bunch of different things. She's a cute girlie and I'm glad she's working out for you though :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

mountain lions don't give a poo poo about fences dude and a bear would be even more laughable than a mountain lion. Bears aren't particularly great at predatory stuff like that. The professional sheep herding spot I used to take my (now mostly trained) herding dog to is 10 acres. They have fifty seven trillion ribbons from both their stock and their herd dogs. The US is basically either 2 acre farms or 20,000 acre farms with very little in between at this point.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Jerk McJerkface posted:

because i feel bad about the timing of your post: she's got enough traits that are seen across various breeds that i'd hesitate to make a guess more specific than "possibly some shepherd or husky". she looks like she might be a custom mix of many things. enjoy her!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I see that America's guarding dogs are used in a completely different way to ours. Our dogs are alarm systems who look big and scary to frighten off the nasties but are not trained to attack. Humans with guns take bad things out from a safe distance.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

I see that America's guarding dogs are used in a completely different way to ours. Our dogs are alarm systems who look big and scary to frighten off the nasties but are not trained to attack. Humans with guns take bad things out from a safe distance.

You guys have alert dogs. Typically your herd dogs are also your alert dogs from what I know (and hell I may be wrong). Our LGDs murder everything that they aren't supposed to protect.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Yeah you guys have had a couple thousand years to kill off your wolves and bears and big cats and whatever the gently caress else you had. We've had like 200 and half of that has been "oh poo poo we actually kind of like these murder beasts uh oops" and then shoring their populations back up

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

mountain lions don't give a poo poo about fences dude and a bear would be even more laughable than a mountain lion. Bears aren't particularly great at predatory stuff like that. The professional sheep herding spot I used to take my (now mostly trained) herding dog to is 10 acres. They have fifty seven trillion ribbons from both their stock and their herd dogs. The US is basically either 2 acre farms or 20,000 acre farms with very little in between at this point.

Have any of you considered moving to 'sralia? Ok we have snakes and spiders and kangaroos which are basically giant murderous rats, but no worries about bears or big cats and it's relatively easy and cheap to set up a smaller farm. Ours used to be a potato farm which had gone under. Started out using a small bit of the land and renting out the rest of the fields to neighbours and then expanded with the stock. Original house cost less than 10k of your American dollars and was delivered off the back of a truck.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Have any of you considered moving to 'sralia? Ok we have snakes and spiders and kangaroos which are basically giant murderous rats, but no worries about bears or big cats and it's relatively easy and cheap to set up a smaller farm. Ours used to be a potato farm which had gone under. Started out using a small bit of the land and renting out the rest of the fields to neighbours and then expanded with the stock. Original house cost less than 10k of your American dollars and was delivered off the back of a truck.

You have goddamn brown snakes that will murder me in one breath. I'll take bears and mountain lions and coyotes and other bizarre poo poo. At least our murdersnakes aren't -quite- so murdery.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Original house cost less than 10k of your American dollars and was delivered off the back of a truck.

We have those too but they keep getting redistributed by natural disasters.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
dear urban bird owners: stay in your loving lane

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Urban? You take that back.

I didn't spend large amounts of my childhood over four hours away from the nearest place that sold chocolate and sweets to be called urban :colbert:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Got yerself an American Browndog. I'm not sure why they thought aussie because she doesn't look anything like an aussie and if she's chill and loves little kids probably doesn't act anything like an aussie either. It's really hard to say with generic browndogs like that because they're usually a mix of a bunch of different things. She's a cute girlie and I'm glad she's working out for you though :3:

Thanks! Yeah we don't care what the breed is. Some friends suggested paying for a DNA test but I really don't care. So far she's great. All night she wakes up every hour or so and goes upstairs, checks on the kids, check on us and then goes back to bed downstairs. It's pretty cute.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
doesn't mean you know a drat thing about raising livestock in a place where there are large predators

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know that allowing 6 dogs to constantly bark unsupervised on 3.5 acres in a built up area is nuts.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

learnincurve posted:

I know that allowing 6 dogs to constantly bark unsupervised on 3.5 acres in a built up area is nuts.

I'm not sure where you're getting that it's a built up area? The farm in question is on the edge of one of those dark green areas. They have A Neighbor that's all pissy because they chose to live in an agricultural zoned area and there is actual agriculture going on.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
I'm super into livestock guardian dogs too, but seriously, show a little respect for your neighbors. Some guardian dogs bark 24/7 and that would drive me absolutely batty if I was a neighbor. One of ours use to go at it half the night and I nearly lost my mind hollering at him to can it at 3am. For some strange reason putting a chain on him overnight seemed to keep him quiet, and during the day he could be off the chain but in the pen and he'd be pretty chill. I can't believe we didn't get the ASPCA on our rear end from the neighbor. I don't give a gently caress how many dollars that dog is saving you in predation if I'm not getting my sleep interrupted three times a night. There are solutions less invasive then chemical silencing. I wouldn't give a gently caress if your lively-hood was basement raves, if I'm living next door to you to better keep it reasonably quiet between 10pm to 6am. That said, gently caress 90% of nosy neighbors... we got one right now that called me angrily to tell me he saw my dog drinking out of his ornamental pond and now I've got to keep her tied up most of the day so she doesn't leave muddy footprints on his cobblestone lol he also doesn't like our produce truck to be parked where he can he see it by the side of our driveway so gently caress him
Also I'm kinda 50/50 on homesteads and tiny hobby farms calling themselves farms. That's like saying we have a mechanics shop at our farm and that we are mechanics because my partner is rebuilding his truck bed and we do our own maintenance on our tractors. I think it's less about the acreage and more about whether or not it's your lively hood.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

'The U.S. Agriculture Department (USDA) defines it as “any place from which $1,000 or more of agricultural products were produced and sold, or normally would have been sold, during the year.”' "It" being a farm.

They earn over $26,000 a year from their farm. They raise a rare breed of sheep and are an important part of the breed's conservation in the region. They regularly win prizes with their sheep and wool at big agricultural fairs. They sell breeding stock to other farmers all over the US. They sell meat to their community. They hold classes for people. I'm not sure why people are arguing that they aren't a farm because they don't meet your mental picture of "farm".

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 31, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why if you live next to a farm is your side not fenced off so the dogs and livestock can't access your garden?

3.5 acres is a smallholding in the U.K. They are classified differently to farm farms here so anything under 50 acres and you are a smallholder not a farmer. Not that it makes you any less of a person, It's just like that thing where America does not have the word "fortnight".

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

If you move next to what is clearly a farm you need to be prepared for farm noises and smells. LGDs don't just bark for no reason, they bark because they are scaring poo poo off.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

*has never had a farm, and knows nothing about farming*

*googles farm size in MURRICA without thinking whether these farms belong to giant companies or small private owners*

*googles lgd, sees t has the word guardian, assumes these dogs are the same as police dogs*

*treats the local farmer goon as if said goon is a moron*

HEY INSTANT JELLYFISH gently caress YOUR FARM GOOGLE SAYS YOUR FARM AIN'T A REAL FARM CUZ IT DOESN'T MEET THEIR SIZE AND YOU HAVE TO RUN YOUR FARM ACCORDING TO GOOGLE YOU STUPID IDIOT!!!!!!! AND BREEDING WORKING DOGS TO SELL THE PUPPIES TO OTHER FARMS TO WORK AS WORKING DOGS IS BAD OKAY!!?!?!?!?!??!!?

Am I one of the cool desktop farming kids now? I mean, I used to play that farm app game on my phone until I got bored, so I know farming right?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

learnincurve posted:

yep high fences definetely help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUPqkc8Jjk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RxLttBRidg

I wonder if coyotes could jump fences too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBDUU6wpdMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Sprue posted:

I'm super into livestock guardian dogs too, but seriously, show a little respect for your neighbors. Some guardian dogs bark 24/7 and that would drive me absolutely batty if I was a neighbor. One of ours use to go at it half the night and I nearly lost my mind hollering at him to can it at 3am. For some strange reason putting a chain on him overnight seemed to keep him quiet, and during the day he could be off the chain but in the pen and he'd be pretty chill. I can't believe we didn't get the ASPCA on our rear end from the neighbor. I don't give a gently caress how many dollars that dog is saving you in predation if I'm not getting my sleep interrupted three times a night. There are solutions less invasive then chemical silencing. I wouldn't give a gently caress if your lively-hood was basement raves, if I'm living next door to you to better keep it reasonably quiet between 10pm to 6am. That said, gently caress 90% of nosy neighbors... we got one right now that called me angrily to tell me he saw my dog drinking out of his ornamental pond and now I've got to keep her tied up most of the day so she doesn't leave muddy footprints on his cobblestone lol he also doesn't like our produce truck to be parked where he can he see it by the side of our driveway so gently caress him
Also I'm kinda 50/50 on homesteads and tiny hobby farms calling themselves farms. That's like saying we have a mechanics shop at our farm and that we are mechanics because my partner is rebuilding his truck bed and we do our own maintenance on our tractors. I think it's less about the acreage and more about whether or not it's your lively hood.

*moves next to a farm with a fuckload of chickens*

FOR gently caress'S SAKE CAN'T THOSE PEOPLE MAKE THEIR CHICKENS SHUT UP THEY MUST CHANGE HOW THEY RUN THEIR FARM TO ACCOMODATE ME, THE NEW PERSON IN THE 'HOOD, WHO CHOSE TO MOVE NEXT TO A loving FARM AND DIDN'T THINK ANIMALS MAKE NOISES.