Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I expect Vermintide 2 to have a lot of confusingly weird and obviously bad problems on release that turns off a lot of people, and then get patched into being good so you spend time trying to convince people that the game is good now really, because that's basically every release I've seen out of Fatshark.

I got the red sword and dagger for the elf and so that's it, that's every single character with a Cata-ready loadout. Just in time for the sequel to be announced. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's a huge number of things that could go wrong. They could waste resources on crap like pvp, the potential new player characters could be less well-written and well-acted than the current ones, the balance could be bad and promote an unfun "meta," the inevitable collection of bugs that will be associated with every new special enemy could skew less toward the hilarious (invisible gutter bodies that scream when stabbed) and more toward the horrible (packmasters hooking players through walls), the optimization could be terrible, whatever form of progression they have could be extremely grindy, etc. Fatshark consistently made vermintide better with every patch and there was a big jump in DLC quality from schleusselschloss to drachenfels to karak, so I have confidence that they'll stay on the right track, but there are absolutely risks here. To my knowledge vermintide is the first case fatshark has ever had where they've made a genuinely great and successful game and gone on to make a sequel, so who knows what they'll do.

I also have some reservations about the community with how goddamn weird and toxic some people have become surrounding modding/hacking the game, and I have a feeling those people are going to be doing their best to break the game wide open the instant it's released, and not in a good way. The community seemed to get worse in general around Q&C for whatever reason and has stayed that way. I'll be playing with friends as much as possible for sure.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Digirat posted:

There's a huge number of things that could go wrong. They could waste resources on crap like pvp,

A versus mode could actually be really fun though?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a hell of a lot of ways they could gently caress things up, half of those coming from suggestions from idiots on reddit or whatever. but, at the very least, they have the first game under their belt and have that to go off of instead of starting from scratch and taking a couple years to get everything to a state where it feels pretty solid in general no matter what you use.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The fact that every major patch improved Vermintide makes me pretty hopeful they'll do well on 2.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

BadLlama posted:

'could' is the operative word. there's a reason the versus mode on left 4 dead bottomed out before the campaign did. for every genuinely fun and cool level in l4d versus there were probably a dozen that were spoiled by weird bugs, lovely people, dumb meta, or a combination thereof.

i'd much rather fatshark recognize that such a thing would be practically impossible to get right and simply save their strength for something that they CAN get right.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

BadLlama posted:

jesus god in heaven no! no, no no no no.

All the jank and buggyness this game took two years to overcome and still hasn't entirely. All the instant deaths on black powder or that final drop on wizard's tower. All the incredibly bullshit runner and packmaster physics and lag and rats clipping through your block to hit you from inside your own body. All of the clueless cancerous pubbies. And to this mix you want to introduce adversarial competition?

I mean yeah I can imagine it being fun in the same way I can imagine riding a unicorn with the head of Louie C.K. Doesn't mean its feasible or a desirable end goal.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Vermintide's melee combat is amazing for killing hordes of enemies but I don't think it would work very well for PVP in the first place.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i absolutely want them to focus on the core gameplay before trying to shoehorn in some halfbaked pvp thing

please, for the love of god

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Coolguye posted:

'could' is the operative word. there's a reason the versus mode on left 4 dead bottomed out before the campaign did. for every genuinely fun and cool level in l4d versus there were probably a dozen that were spoiled by weird bugs, lovely people, dumb meta, or a combination thereof.

L4D was one of the funnest MP games I played when it came out and this exact thing made me stop playing it.

Ain't nothing like a group of buddies who aren't quite good enough to crank out maps on Extreme but tired of SP firing up versus and getting wrecked repeatedly by 4stacks on teamspeak who have done nothing but eat, sleep, poo poo, and play L4D since release and know every single speedrunning trick and have their own jargon to describe every infected setup spot on every map in the game.

Vermintide is an exercise in loot and synergizing characters and smacking rats in good company. That's enough. Not every game needs to be a thousand hour esports timesink.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 31, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am here to kill rat, not kill as rat.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Versus mode was huge fun

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
There is also a certain bonding experience that comes from treating the game as the adversary and breaking it, and if you don't know what I'm talking about play a round with lunethex and then you will.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
P sure it will be
VERMINTIDE 2
- 6 maps, BUY SEASON PASS NOW FOR 2 MORE EVENTUALLY

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

duckfarts posted:

P sure it will be
VERMINTIDE 2
- 6 maps, BUY SEASON PASS NOW FOR 2 MORE EVENTUALLY

i hope it hass lootboxes :unsmigghh:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BadLlama posted:

L4D1 versus was the best type of competitive multiplayer I'd played in a long time (maybe ever) and if they could somehow mirror that with vermintide 2 I'd be incredibly impressed. They won't though, and they shouldn't try.

For real, L4D1 versus was about 9 billion times better than L4D2 but everyone talks poo poo about versus because of L4D2.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jokes posted:

For real, L4D1 versus was about 9 billion times better than L4D2 but everyone talks poo poo about versus because of L4D2.
neither were very good, you just remember l4d1 fondly because it was the first of its kind and the novelty bred good experiences

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

jokes posted:

L4D1 versus was the best type of competitive multiplayer I'd played in a long time (maybe ever) and if they could somehow mirror that with vermintide 2 I'd be incredibly impressed. They won't though, and they shouldn't try.

What were the differences? I only played versus in the first game

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
L4D co-op was a bunch of friends--or randos who often became friends by the end of the map--making the best use of limited resources.

L4D versus was survivors speedrunning and winning (or getting real real mad at the survivor who didn't know how to speedrun thus making the team lose) in order to minimize the window of coordinated infected ambushes, while the infected tried not to rip on each other for not being in position in time or the hunter whiffing a 25 point pounce or the boomer only puking on one survivor etc.

L4D2 iterated on this versus experience by adding infected types that had some really weird physics (i'm the charger who can go through walls but stops cold on stairs.)

I would not be playing Vermintide today if they went for adversarial to pad out the game instead of fleshing out asymmetric co-op.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Enjoy posted:

What were the differences? I only played versus in the first game

The hit detection was super loving weird and the broader special infected pool meant with a dice roll you could get screwed out of a comp that could meaningfully impede the survivors.

e; also the SI were more dependant on hit detection overall with the new additions, so whereas in 1 it was only The Weird Zen Of The Hunter Pounce, suddenly the jockey, hunter, charger etc were all their own flavor of buggy and terrible

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 31, 2017

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Coolguye posted:

neither were very good, you just remember l4d1 fondly because it was the first of its kind and the novelty bred good experiences

I mean we are talking opinions here but I think your opinoin is wrong. Both L4d and L4d2 versus modes were incredibly fun. Different people like different things. Vermintide at its core is a co-op pve game, but if they could get a versus mode in it without sacrificing their main purpose then why not? Hell, they can even contract that part out to some other company and its your choice if you want to play it or not.

L4d versus was not a solo friendly game and if you played it that way I imagine it was probably the most terrible experience of your life. It bums me out that we have only got some lovely 4v1 games since l4d.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 31, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In most games I hate pvp and enjoy co-op, and every player who enjoys vermintide is at least in the latter category. If fatshark wants to keep the same target audience as the first game, they just need to focus on making a fun co-op game like they did the first time. Spending resources on pvp will make the co-op worse than if they focused on that alone. So adding pvp would be opening the game up to a broader target audience (and as someone who's loving the co-op mode that was just added to titanfall 2, I will concede the value of this) but it would also make a worse experience for their existing target audience.

The thing is vermintide has always had a small community and for the game to be successful, fatshark would be best off focusing on what they know their existing community enjoys: fun with friends, rat dudes, and bugs

There's a number of very serious roadblocks to making pvp work in vermintide as it stands but most people already seem to agree that it's a dumb idea so no need to go into that.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Vermintide is a game that I'm satisfied with. I don't feel like it's missing anything for a full experience. Xcom 1 for example I felt needed more weapon and class variety, or total Warhammer needed more unique mechanics for each race, and to add Skaven and tomb Kings.
Vermintide doesn't really feel lacking in anyway that a sequel feels necessary. That said, holy Sigmar am I :stoked: for this sequel.

As for the PvP debate, I think adding it is fine so long as they don't divert any time, money, or workers to that project. L4D was built to be a PvP game vermintide wasn't. Even though we know nothing about V2, looking at the first one gives me the strong impression that a PvP mode would have been a horrible add-on. I really really hope Fatshark never tries does it because the risk of ruining the game is too much for the reward of giving L4D players one more game to moan about not being as good as L4D.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I have a massive tl;dr post about Versus somewhere on the Steam board. Hard to sum up but the balance of the gameplay is fragile as gently caress. Giving players the ability to throw poison globes wherever they want lets them shut down the many tight corridors players have to go into. Do you allow trinkets? Which ones then? If you disallow any you're taking away people's earnings unfairly. If you allow trinkets, nerf them then? Why wear some then?

My two key points about how unfair it would be for the heroes if versus users could use Stormvermin, and globe rats and ratling gunners. The former's cleave attack can instant kill on Cata, and if they are always aware of where players are they just stand around corners and time it. Nothing you can do. Blocking everywhere you go is bullshit and not a solution. Globe rat and ratling gunner can lock down entire hallways and passages, ensuring players would never get through unscathed. Ultimately, Versus can't work in Vermintide. It just can't. You would be making so many sacrifices and going back and forth on balance nobody would be happy. And why play it? Just to play it? The game is is an all-or-nothing reward. You die, you lose everything, and the maps are long. Why make it harder to get items and loot just because you can kill someone else who is playing a rat? What would the reward be for heroes? For creatures? What if the versus player is an Ogre? there are so many gamey attacks people can use to demolish the heroes. Imagine an ogre jumping around forever, and his team shows up. You keep knocking players around and they are completely defenseless.

It can't work, it's the most unnecessary addition to this game. And if it was added, and this point can be made only because it's Fatshark, what would they gently caress up anywhere else for it? But hey, if they think they have an idea of how to do it I'm all ears, but I guarantee there will be sacrifices very few people will want to make just to participate.

edit:

Oh yeah. I guarantee a lot of rage if players were packing their Trueflight weapons too. Better ban those like it's Super Smash Bros!

quote:

This game is not designed for Versus play period. A Stormvermin player could easily ruin the game if they follow the typical design of "players are always visible" to help creature players find them. They can just hide around corners in the narrow halls and overhead swing as they come around, which is massive damage or an instant kill on Cataclysm, and its designed by nature to hit everyone if they are clustered. Which they will be. Stormvermin don't make noticeable sounds at all outside of their spotting player quips. What if a Stormvermin player just shoves the entire time? While being pushed a player slides around on ice and sometimes can't do anything to attack back.

A Globadier already has no limit on the amount of throws it can make and will gladly toss 3-4 if left unmolested and his AI is fancied by it. A player unaffected by this would just be unstoppable and while limits could be put in place, there's so many ways this can outright destroy progress and flat out ruin a game for people lacking the anti-Globadier trinket that it alone is a reason not to have Versus. And if you make it so he can't constantly block the very tight corridors with no threat of retaliation then it'd be too unfun, or useless, to play as personally.

A Ratling Gunner player would have to plan appropriately but could work. Since other specials are practically immune to Globadier Poison, this would be the one they have to work around because he can and will kill everything that is between him and the target. But the question is, should the player be locked to a single target on fire or can he suppress an area? Again, a very critical thing that needs to be understood in how it can be unplayable.

A Gutter Runner player would be the Hunter and balanced by already existing mechanics. Unless people find a way to do the same stupid buggy crap they are doing right now.

A Rat Ogre. Where do we start? Handguns and marking already invalidate specials to an exceptional degree in the right hands. The right weapon and halfway decent kiting + Off Balance would make anybody an Ogre have a very bad time. Unless of course they get paired into games with lower skilled and very ill equipped players who have no idea what to do. And quite frankly, it'd be very stupid if players could end up becoming multiple rat ogres over the course of a game. The highest skilled players wouldn't care, but newbies? Yeah, that won't fly. One radiant spawning Ogre per map in addition to certain maps guaranteeing it? What if the ogre player just leaps around and causes the shockwave that knocks people around and cause them to be completely unable to do ANYTHING?

Moving on. If the enemy players were under entirely different rules than regular rats, that would be unbalancing beyond belief. The fragile system that is currently in place does its best to cheat for the rats anymore to go after higher level players as it is.

You can say "make some new mode like Last Stand is separate new to support it" but there's far more interesting and important things to be done than add a mode that will, because this is Fatshark, likely have a pathetic 'reward' for beating and all the extra headache for people who have a bone or two to pick with the loot ladder system. The balance just isn't there and if you try to make concessions for the enemy players then how far do you go to make sure the hero players of all skill levels aren't unfairly treated?

Unless something comes around to concretely prove otherwise, Versus is doomed from the start as an idea for Vermintide, especially due to its RPG elements. Make a new mode without any weapon perks? Why do we bother getting loot at all then? I'm certainly not playing a high level game without advantages I earned and that I find super fun to play with. No trinkets allowed? Well great, now it's unfair because the Globadier & co can aim anywhere, knows where we are at all times, and can shut down our progress and we'll have to lose way more health than ever just taking a single one down. I can just see the huge amount of opportunities for a Globadier & Ratling player to lock down corridors for good, just firing around the blind spots and tossing globes if they are on a cooldown and then other players can just whittle them down or make hordes spawn because it's taking so long. To break free of that, you'd have to take what could be significant damage, and that is Bad Design.

Despite being an obviously voluntary and optional mode, why bother? Last Stand is a joke with a miserable reward and experience in it for anyone who wants to play it. And if they were to do this, how long would it take to work out every bug that crops up as a result of gluing it on?

It would be a monumental undertaking to implement because of their game engine, and it would be a grand nightmare to balance. Nothing but wailing and gnashing of teeth on all sides lies in this commitment.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 31, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sazabi posted:

As for the PvP debate, I think adding it is fine so long as they don't divert any time, money, or workers to that project.

In other words, pvp is fine as long as it takes no time or money to make, which is literally impossible. Make no mistake, there is no way to add a non-horrible pvp mode to a game like this without a serious investment of resources. Lunethex just laid out some good reasons why it would be a massive effort to make it work with vermintide's existing design, and I guess I'll add my reasons to that when I'm not phoneposting

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 31, 2017

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Digirat posted:

I guess I'll add my reasons to that when I'm not phoneposting

I mean you can, but really why? We are just talking about a really fun game on a dead gay irrelevant forum and one poster just thinks a versus mode in vermintide would be fun because killing hummies and dwarfs as a rat is cool.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You will kill no humies or dwarfs as a rat because both the humie and the dwarf are equipped with hitscan guns that instakill anything they hit, as that weapon was designed with AI and not players in mind.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I would like to draw a comparison to another game, based on Digirat's latest here, that will serve as a fine example of Vermintide Versus.

It's called Dead by Daylight...Stay a while and listen!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Hm the asymmetric playstyles of hitscan weapons vs area denial weapons, you guys are selling versus mode really well

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Are we saying you can't have a pvp game that contains an instant kill hitscan weapon?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still can't believe how much I've enjoyed vermintide. It's one of the best value deals I've bought in a long time

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still can't believe how much I've enjoyed vermintide. It's one of the best value deals I've bought in a long time

Same.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Are we saying you can't have a pvp game that contains an instant kill hitscan weapon?

No?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I mean we are talking opinions here but I think your opinoin is wrong. Both L4d and L4d2 versus modes were incredibly fun. Different people like different things. Vermintide at its core is a co-op pve game, but if they could get a versus mode in it without sacrificing their main purpose then why not? Hell, they can even contract that part out to some other company and its your choice if you want to play it or not.

L4d versus was not a solo friendly game and if you played it that way I imagine it was probably the most terrible experience of your life. It bums me out that we have only got some lovely 4v1 games since l4d.

i played it both ways. i had a lot of fun. i have dozens of hours playing both. they are bad. l4d versus was poorly designed for an absolute scad of reasons that people have already expounded on and if you honestly need more proof just go look at the steam forum bitching; the way you can tell it's legitimate is that over half of the bitch posts are done in readable sentences and they all present problems with no quick or easy solution; they require fundamental changes to the underlying rule structure that inevitably swing the pendulum one way and the other in an unending quest to find a happy medium that doesn't exist. it is the story of dozens upon dozens of bad pvp games that came before l4d.

the difference is that l4d was new, novel, and creative enough that people could have a lot of fun exploring the new rulesets available to them regardless. and that's fine. it's the reason we had fun, and lots of it. it also explains - and largely excuses - the massive problems that arose. but what it doesn't justify is ignoring those problems because it was your first time. this isn't your first girlfriend. there's a reason there hasn't been another honest stab at a l4d style versus mode since l4d2 got forgotten, and that's because the ruleset is hosed up and carries tons of problems that nobody's figured out yet.

also yes lune i saw the dead by dudelight reference, that game is insanely bad and more or less exists to this day as a testament to the power of the skinner box effect.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I've had this for a while and I remembered once I saw it on sale. I should probably play it, crushing rat skulls sounds fun.

So how useless will I be as a scrub with starter equipment, and what do I need to know?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Coolguye posted:

steam forum

lol nice trick.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

then go search even the old archives of l4d threads on this dead gay comedy forum. people had lots of really fundamental complaints and were able to articulate them both consistently and clearly - but nobody had any answers to how they should be addressed. even today, you can trivially find l4d2 campaign games going on. hell, i even met a girl i later dated for a while randoming around in l4d2 campaigns earlier this year - campaign is still poppin'. for versus games you need to be on at a specific time and preferably bring a full crew. why? the only reasonable answer is that the game is not good and people moved away from it - because it is not good.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 31, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

I've had this for a while and I remembered once I saw it on sale. I should probably play it, crushing rat skulls sounds fun.

So how useless will I be as a scrub with starter equipment, and what do I need to know?

starter equipment is a lot worse than a well statted orange but gear is only about 10% of a player's effectiveness. the other 90% is what's between your ears.

watch the combat basics video in the series lune and i made here and that will get you all you need to know to get your rat on initially. you're of course welcome to watch the entire series but it's not required. the combat basics video will download everything you critically need to know.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I mean, its ranked #45 right now, and is almost a decade old? Is it really that bad or do you just not like it? It has more players than many newer games? Something isn't adding up here. I wonder what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I mean, its ranked #45 right now, and is almost a decade old? Is it really that bad or do you just not like it? It has more players than many newer games? Something isn't adding up here. I wonder what it is.

i'd say it's more a reading problem than a math problem because you clearly can't read what's being posted

or, more probably, you're choosing not to. whatever, man, let it remain on a pedestal in your own mind, not my delusion.

• Locked thread