Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Rick Sanchez is an Obrimos who has somehow managed to get negative Wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

so how well do the 1e books for Mage work with 2e? or should I wait for 2e books and just go with core for now.

Also my initial game plot-hook idea right now for a Mage game is that it's set in Seattle, the players are all low-ranked nerds in the Pentacle, and they're being sent by the local consilium to investigate that one statue of Lenin disappearing in such a way that no one but mages remembers it was ever there at all, and the consilium's all like "oh this is just grunt poo poo we're sending the rookies on because otherwise the Free Council members will get mad since a bunch of them are communists", but of course it turns into crazier poo poo than it seems

Some of the merits are easy enough to port. Most of the spell ideas are easy to use as well, but be mindful that they may need different dots to cast depending on their practice. 1e didn't always line up well that way, but there's no reason you can't just port the concepts over and then use the spell casting cheat sheet at the end of the 2e core.

When I first switched to 2e I thought for sure I would still use some of the 1e books, but for the most part that isn't the case. Just the legacies for fluff without actually updating them for NPCs where it doesn't matter. I also use both the Astral and Summoners books because the fit well for what I need in the meta plot that I wrote in 1e and am just using with 2e. If you're buying books, just buy 2e as it will avoid confusion and otherwise unnecessary porting of things. The core does a pretty good job of giving you what you need, but not usually to the depth an entire book would give just because page space is scarce.

Re: Lenin's statue in Fremont. The troll did not do it, but there's definitely a trod there for changelings, because everyone who lives in the area avoids it unless they have to go down the 36th street for any other reason. Perfectly hiding in plain sight.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IIRC, Legacies in particular are harder to update to 2e from 1e, because Legacies are now actually cool and useful.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mors Rattus posted:

IIRC, Legacies in particular are harder to update to 2e from 1e, because Legacies are now actually cool and useful.

Well, they were always worth having just for the Oblation.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The latest Bundle of Holding is a bunch of Werewolf 20 books

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Jhet posted:

Re: Lenin's statue in Fremont. The troll did not do it, but there's definitely a trod there for changelings, because everyone who lives in the area avoids it unless they have to go down the 36th street for any other reason. Perfectly hiding in plain sight.

Canonically*, the Fremont Troll (or rather, the car it holds) is a portal to a stable time loop that keeps repeating May-October 1962.

*y'know, in as far as nWoD has a canon

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Apparently this is the Art Director's vision for VtM.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
wanna gently caress those d10s

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Is it weird that the creeper moustache on the guy on the floor is the thing that really gets to me? I mean the whole thing is trite 90s sexy death ladies but that moustache, eesh.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Loomer posted:

Apparently this is the Art Director's vision for VtM.

I look at this and I think of the Key and Peele skit, thus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXpxnxAL62A

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Nessus posted:

I look at this and I think of the Key and Peele skit, thus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXpxnxAL62A

I'd pay good money for an Elder Hardluck and Future Cars Neonate team-up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It took me a few moments of puzzling out the angles before I realized that one of the vampire ladies has a moustache and is actually a man inexplicably wearing a cocktail dress.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ironslave posted:

"I want to live forever so I can see future cars." is one of the best reasons anyone has ever given for becoming a vampire.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Gotta love people who want to do erotic horror but think "horror" means "goth fashion".

e: I don't think it's a coincidence that this looks less like an accurate distillation of the VtM tabletop aesthetic than it does a cheeky parody of the VtM LARP aesthetic

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 30, 2017

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So was reading through The God-Machine Chronicles fiction stuff between chapters and I'm curious, what the hell was Ms. Luz? I'm not even sure how to describe her from the descriptions give.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

xanthan posted:

So was reading through The God-Machine Chronicles fiction stuff between chapters and I'm curious, what the hell was Ms. Luz? I'm not even sure how to describe her from the descriptions give.

Apt. 3B is new to the Chronicles rulebook rather than coming from the God-Machine Chronicle reprint material, so Ms. Luz is probably some manner of undefined monster a la the Horror rules, unless her animosity for clockwork people and having a nest hints at her being a Beast.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ironslave posted:

"Finally! A neonate that knows his place and is willing to work for me without secretly wanting to diablerize me! Surely he is of fine wit and finer breeding!"

"Wait, what's this about future cars?"

gently caress it, i'd watch it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Night10194 posted:

"I want to live forever so I can see future cars." is one of the best reasons anyone has ever given for becoming a vampire.
Future Cars Guy knows what he wants, has a goal, and establishes boundaries while acting for the benefit of vampiric society.

Wait a minute... Future Cars Guy...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What's this about Future Cars Neonate? I'm familiar with Elder Hardluck already.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's this about Future Cars Neonate? I'm familiar with Elder Hardluck already.
Click the Key and Peele skit and gaze upon the darkling wonders of the world of the night, my friend.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zax63Dal2ik

Protean can get weird when you're an antediluvian.

Actually, that was just a joke. This is what we're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXpxnxAL62A

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 31, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Oh no, I'm totally familiar with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Key and Peele was the part I was missing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Nessus posted:

Future Cars Guy knows what he wants, has a goal, and establishes boundaries while acting for the benefit of vampiric society.

Wait a minute... Future Cars Guy...

Future Car Society as a Compact for the Carthians?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Loomer posted:

I don't know nWoD but I do think that you could probably have some mileage in a vampire setting out of the vampires who got turned for a particular reason involving a long term plan. Wanting to see long term developments in cars is kind of ridiculous, of course, but the idea is sound and I think that having some kind of clear goal they are committed to, would probably provide psychological support versus people who just got turned for being present, or pretty, or because their sire was trying to prove a point, or whatever.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loomer posted:

Of course not, it'd be a Convertable.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurieg posted:

Of course not, it'd be a Convertable.
:golfclap:

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
Speaking of LARP and terrible decisions, By Night Studios had to cancel their planned Tampa by Night event, stating:
"Effective immediately, By Night Studios is canceling Tampa by Night.
It is our duty to provide an environment that is safe for and tolerant of all people; regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic. When we encounter anything less--when we feel that we cannot guarantee the safety and security of our guests--we feel that we owe it to our community, our partners, our sponsors, and ourselves to change course immediately.
We deeply regret the inconvenience this causes to those planning to attend the event, but in this instance we feel it is the responsible thing to do. We will be issuing refunds in the order we received ticket purchases on a rolling basis, to be completed by 9/30 at the latest.
Please contact info@bynightstudios.com for individual assistance"

Turns out the nightclub at which they were planning on holding the event (the Castle) has been having problems with nazis. There's a performer who likes to incorporate SS gear into her outfits, and she has a following of skinheads who show up in Nazi uniforms, and they've started intimidating and harassing other customers, as nazis will do. So, when the servers at the nightclub started refusing to serve Nazis, they got fired, a Facebook flamewar started, and BNS, to their credit, decided it was best to just cancel the event rather than holding a vampire LARP at a Nazi BDSM club.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Yessod posted:

Speaking of LARP and terrible decisions, By Night Studios had to cancel their planned Tampa by Night event, stating:
"Effective immediately, By Night Studios is canceling Tampa by Night.
It is our duty to provide an environment that is safe for and tolerant of all people; regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic. When we encounter anything less--when we feel that we cannot guarantee the safety and security of our guests--we feel that we owe it to our community, our partners, our sponsors, and ourselves to change course immediately.
We deeply regret the inconvenience this causes to those planning to attend the event, but in this instance we feel it is the responsible thing to do. We will be issuing refunds in the order we received ticket purchases on a rolling basis, to be completed by 9/30 at the latest.
Please contact info@bynightstudios.com for individual assistance"

Turns out the nightclub at which they were planning on holding the event (the Castle) has been having problems with nazis. There's a performer who likes to incorporate SS gear into her outfits, and she has a following of skinheads who show up in Nazi uniforms, and they've started intimidating and harassing other customers, as nazis will do. So, when the servers at the nightclub started refusing to serve Nazis, they got fired, a Facebook flamewar started, and BNS, to their credit, decided it was best to just cancel the event rather than holding a vampire LARP at a Nazi BDSM club.

:psyduck:

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Speaking as someone who last WoD-Larped in 1998, and has never bought a single BNS book nor has any inclination of doing so...

...Good on them, and I wish this didn't mean a huge financial hit for them. But it will.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
1) They did the right thing in cancelling.

2) On looking it up, this seems like it's going to be waaaaay more lost revenue for the club then for BNS, and they've started to hamfistedly try to back up on their own lovely nazi-ism.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Nazis ruin everything that isn't Wolfenstein.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Loomer posted:

And Call of Duty. And the old Medal of Honor games...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kavak posted:

And Call of Duty. And the old Medal of Honor games...

No, they still ruin those, at least when you try multiplayer.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Loomer posted:

Nazi BDSM club would've made a great level of Bloodlines.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

No, they still ruin those, at least when you try multiplayer.

None of the good MoH games had online multiplayer. :colbert:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Attorney at Funk posted:

Nazi BDSM club would've made a great level of Bloodlines.

That's one way you could run the Whipping Boys Legacy, I guess.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Honestly that's a lot of progress. My knowledge of WoD LARP says that in the past the nazi fans would also be at the LARP.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tzimisce or Get of Fenris.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

New books announced.

VtR: Spilled Blood (Lost clans, weird bloodlines, other types of vampire), Shattered Masks (alt setting: the Masquerade is broken)
WtF: Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon (expanded 2e rules for Ghost Wolves, Pure and Bale Hounds)
MtA: Fallen Worlds (Expands on Mysteries and otherworlds)
CtL: Kith and Kin (New Kiths, Kith-focused powers, tools for making new Kiths. Might be a KS reward for CtL 2e.)
HtV: Eternal Flame (Historic Hunter groups)
CofD: Innocents 2e, Dark Shards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I don't have access to my books while I'm at work, so does anyone know off the top of their heads whether the Daimon merit has been converted to 2nd Ed yet?

Also, I'm super excited about Fallen Worlds, it sounds like it's going to be fantastic.

Edit: And Innocents 2E. I loved the first one.