Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the special basically just their Summer of 69 tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Nick Offerman just does crappy stand up because people are willing to pay him for it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, Offerman's not a good comedian. Good actor, though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

It's almost like B list celebrities with cult followings smell their own farts

I think it's more that people have trouble separating actors from the roles they play, so they watch a Nick Offerman special expecting him to be Ron Swanson telling jokes written by the writers of Parks and Rec. Donald Glover says the same thing, when Community was big people would take their kids to see him expecting Troy and Abed antics and instead it was him talking about dicks and jacking off.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

I think it's more that people have trouble separating actors from the roles they play, so they watch a Nick Offerman special expecting him to be Ron Swanson telling jokes written by the writers of Parks and Rec. Donald Glover says the same thing, when Community was big people would take their kids to see him expecting Troy and Abed antics and instead it was him talking about dicks and jacking off.

The Nick Offerman special i saw on netflix awhile back was 100% him just doing Ron Swanson though. Whether that's because what people expected of him and he's obliging them for a paycheck or that's really his standup I don't know, but that's what it was.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Except Glover is a good standup. Tons of actors also do comedy, and that comedy is often very different from their characters. Offerman just isn't a great standup comic. He doesn't have to be. He's a good actor.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think offerman did a lot of improv before doing shows. And we all know improv is inherently unfunny.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Nick Offerman is basically Ron Swanson except for political views. Guy has his own wood shop and makes a bunch of stuff by hand, plays saxophone well, and is super knowledgeable about nature poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is there no Halt and Catch Fire thread this year, or am I blind?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Guy Mann posted:

I believe Patton Oswalt had a bit in one of his routines talking about touring while doing King of Queens and seeing smiling, white-bread families in decidedly un-family friendly establishments because they wanted to see Spence from TV; having a moment of "Should I...should I tell them to leave?" before deciding to let the material speak for itself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amazon has picked up James Gunn's Starsky and Hutch series. Well, they're looking into it with an option to pick it up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So we'll see a pilot in a year and the show in 3 years.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this! posted:

Amazon has picked up James Gunn's Starsky and Hutch series. Well, they're looking into it with an option to pick it up.

I'm surprised James Gunn would get behind something like Starsky and Hutch. I figured he'd do something...not dark, really, but his mind's kinda twisted for a show like that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's gritty-reboot Starsky and Hutch...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reading into it more it seems like James Gunn is mostly going to EP and probably direct the pilot while his brother Brian and cousin Mark are going to be the ones actually writing the show. It also is apparently not a reboot and instead is being called a "continuation" of the original series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also HBO has officially given the go ahead for True Detective s3 and plot info has been revealed. First up is that Jeremy Saulnier (Green Room, Blue Ruin) has been hired to direct the season, which will be set in the Ozarks and take place in three different time periods. Mahershala Ali will be playing an Arkansas State Police detective.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crime drama set in the Ozarks :thunk:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zoux posted:

Awkward timing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Reading into it more it seems like James Gunn is mostly going to EP and probably direct the pilot while his brother Brian and cousin Mark are going to be the ones actually writing the show.

I'm reminded of when Phil Lord and Chris Miller were on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast about 6 months before The Last Man on Earth premiered. Asking them about the project, Scott Aukerman said something along the lines of "Oh, so you're going to direct the pilot, really just to put your names on it, and collect residual checks while hoping that it eventually hits syndication?"

Miller and Lord's response was, essentially:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCE40Z-HpMM

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

We already had this show, it was called The Good Guys.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

We already had this show, it was called The Good Guys.

And it was awesome.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

I smell crossover!

Also, The Good Guys was Bradley Whitford's finest performance. That show was great.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well, what the gently caress was NBC expecting when they started making a habit out of picking up Fox News's discarded trash.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Also, The Good Guys was Bradley Whitford's finest performance. That show was great.

Seconded.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I was gonna call flippin' BULLSHIT on this, but since it features an Arkansas State Police officer, it might just take place in the Ozark Mountains, rather than the Lake of the Ozarks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

Well, what the gently caress was NBC expecting when they started making a habit out of picking up Fox News's discarded trash.
But she stood up to Trump and she's a total MILF and

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why is she being hated on, she believes in a white santa?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Is there no Halt and Catch Fire thread this year, or am I blind?

I have no idea if anyone but me and you are even watching it tbh

Also I am laughing so hard about the True Detective Ozarks thing

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RIP. Well we can just discuss here once I catch up, or I can make a lazy OP that might attract anyone else watching the final season.

e: the opening sequence of this premiere is really well done.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 1, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

She's at least racist, possibly a white nationalist, and a complete failure of a journalist.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

She's at least racist, possibly a white nationalist, and a complete failure of a journalist.

Journalist is a bit of a stretch, she's a talking head at best right?

I don't have the pleasure of having my head wrecked by these muppets on a daily basis.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Journalist is a bit of a stretch, she's a talking head at best right?

I don't have the pleasure of having my head wrecked by these muppets on a daily basis.
I think she's a talking head, but NBC News chairman Andy Lack is on the record saying she was hired because "she's a great journalist... a serious journalist." http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/nbc-news-andy-lack-speaks-about-the-hiring-of-megyn-kelly/323297

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Halt and Catch Fire is a very, yrev good show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah! Although the focus back on Joe and Cameron together AGAIN is something I'm not so hot on

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah! Although the focus back on Joe and Cameron together AGAIN is something I'm not so hot on

I was a little concerned at first, but the characters have grown so much since the beginning, and the way the show is approaching it this time is refreshing, it feels earned. Joe's line about it being nice to actually talk to her spoke volumes.

Of course it could all crash and burn again, but at least we're seeing another side to the relationship now. The episode long phone call in 2 was really great.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

She believes in white everything.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I finally caught up on The Handmaid's Tale. Dang that show is soul crushing and super good but drat if it didn't peak in Episode 3.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Croatoan posted:

I finally caught up on The Handmaid's Tale. Dang that show is soul crushing and super good but drat if it didn't peak in Episode 3.

I just realized I never finished it. Maybe on the long weekend. I got kind of bored with it towards the middle.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well I didn't totally catch up, I've got the finale to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

I just realized I never finished it. Maybe on the long weekend. I got kind of bored with it towards the middle.

Towards the end it broadens it's focus a bit, there's even an entire episode focused on her husband and the founders of Gilead that does a lot to flesh out the setting and show what the world is like outside of ChristianISISland. Which on one hand I was a little miffed that they slammed the breaks on such a soul-crushing look at misogyny to go "b-but what about the MEN?! #notallmen" but it definitely improves the pacing and makes a lot of niggling details about the setting fall into place.

• Locked thread