Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Captain Lavender posted:

Jake dating an adult... Dabo Girl!.... really put me off...

He's 16, she's 20, weirder things have happened. Jake is mature for his age there's no denying that. He's a great character. There would have been a temptation to make him into a whiz kid or a source of conflict for Sisko or whatever but nope. Jake is just a good kid, has his head on straight, is a good influence on everyone around him, and has no interest in Starfleet. Lofton and Brooks play really well off each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

the first and last time a girl said those words outside a holodeck

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The scene in night terrors where all the corpses in the morgue sit up straight is still scary.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

I always think of Ode to Spot when Night Terrors comes up, even though it is really from Schisms.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sisko is the most devious captain by far. I don't think we've seen Kirk or Picard lie and dissemble so skilfully, so systematically and so often. There are lots of episodes where sisko's first inclination is to set up an elaborate deception to get what he wants.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 31, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Speaking of Sisko, why didn't he ever get another promotion? Given all the stuff he was doing during the Dominion War, it seemed like he needed one

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^same reason Riker and Picard kept their ranks and posts for like twenty years. Starfleet flag ranks are where the incompetent or insane captains fail upward to, while Starfleet desperately tries to keep everyone who can actually command on a starship till they drop.

Arglebargle III posted:

Sisko is the most devious captain by far. I don't think we've seen Kirk or Picard lie and dissemble so skilfully, so systematically and so often. There are lots of episodes where sisko's first inclination is to set up an elaborate deception to get what he wants.

Sisko is probably a bit readier to mess with people, but Kirk was definitely fond of a scheme. Corbomite (so good he used it twice), fizzbin, the shenanigans in I, Mudd, the unworkably bizarre plot in Enterprise Incident, the shenanigans with the Kelvans...granted that last one isn't really dissembling so much as being disarmingly honest.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 31, 2017

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Speaking of Sisko, why didn't he ever get another promotion? Given all the stuff he was doing during the Dominion War, it seemed like he needed one

Even in the 24th century they'll always keep a brotha down.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I'm inclined to agree, although at the same time keeping him as Captain Sisko at least makes it more plausible for him to get personally involved in fisticuffs or whatever. As silly as it ever was for starship captains to go gallivanting around getting into shootouts, you can at least make the argument that the precedent was set by TOS and TNG, and anyway captains got up to that poo poo all the time during the Age of Sail; but even then, most admirals didn't go leading expeditions ashore into battle.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Maybe they should explicitly have gone for a Napoleonic era navy system where flag rank is 100% about seniority, it doesn't matter if you're completely incompetent but if you can hold on to post-captaincy for long enough and not die you're guaranteed to make admiral in the long run.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The scariest part of Identity Crisis to me wasn't the transformation or the aliens' final forms, it was the featureless misshapen shadow Geordi made in the holodeck because of the idea that it was there yet no one could see it.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

He can live with it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

skasion posted:

Maybe they should explicitly have gone for a Napoleonic era navy system where flag rank is 100% about seniority, it doesn't matter if you're completely incompetent but if you can hold on to post-captaincy for long enough and not die you're guaranteed to make admiral in the long run.

That reminds me, they tend to name a lot of side characters after famous officers (mostly British from the late 19th/early 20th century) like Jellico and Hague, but none was ever called Fisher.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The scariest part of Identity Crisis to me wasn't the transformation or the aliens' final forms, it was the featureless misshapen shadow Geordi made in the holodeck because of the idea that it was there yet no one could see it.

Yeah, that scene is great and makes the episode. One of the most legitimately scary things Trek has done.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

yeah actually they will posted:

He can live with it.

In Homefront when he gets suspicious there's a conspiracy going on, he starts acting like he's in charge of the conspiracy, and gets at least two people to report to him on how the conspiracy is going.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Talkin' about Voyager

Jack's least favorite episode is the holographic Chakotay boxer dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIG02v6zhQw&t=4565s

vermin fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 31, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I saw that as a child and it's still one of the scariest things I've experienced in my life.

Those loving shadows on the holodeck.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching The Nth Degree. The cold open is on the holodeck but I've learned not to get my hopes up. Wait a second is that Barclay?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lmao Data's disgusted face

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a good episode, nothing groundbreaking, nothing world shattering, just a solid, perfectly okay episode of some of the characters you know and mostly like.

Also it has more proof that TNG had some kind of nutjob designing holodeck things.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That's awesome

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Barclay's dead. He died

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

... he was knocked unconscious by the light being too bright

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The probe is making the Enterprise run away like a mouse and an elephant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That's awesome
One of those things that really needed HD.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I love supergenius Barclay

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Barcley: *Explains what he did in rapid-fire using the densest technobabble ever in the series*

Riker:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi is so worried about Barclay being self actualized

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi didn't get seduced :aaa:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It turns out this is all just another simulation he's doing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aw Barclay's plan to repair all the reactors at once hosed everything up. I think

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Holy poo poo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Barclay just HAL 9000'd Captain Picard

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Barclay just HAL 9000'd Captain Picard

Oh they're gonna manually bypass his intelligence, this is even more Space Odyssey than I thought

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This effect as they enter subspace

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That was a sweet ending. I was wondering if Barclay would get disciplinary action for disobeying orders, commandeering a ship, etc but I guess they considered probe-Barclay to be a different person.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If they fired everyone who had weird brain stuff happen and took over the ship there wouldn't be anybody left in starfleet

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That was a sweet ending. I was wondering if Barclay would get disciplinary action for disobeying orders, commandeering a ship, etc but I guess they considered probe-Barclay to be a different person.

Imagine how many Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians have been summarily executed by their captains for unwittingly falling victim to subspace anomolies, mindcontrol probes, or brainaltering chemically enduced backwards-evolutioning.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nobody, cos they see weird poo poo, fire a volley of torpedoes at it, and warp in the other direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It would've been pretty hypocritical since they didn't punish Data for hijacking the ship in Brothers.