Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Harton posted:

The Great Lakes region is looking like a good place to retire at this point. I always wanted to move south when I got older but my house may be worth millions when the coasts collapse over climate change.

Pretty much the entire continental US is hosed by climate change in the end. I'd say the real prime real estate will be in central Canada once all the permafrost melts and the resulting sinkholes finally settle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Pretty much the entire continental US is hosed by climate change in the end. I'd say the real prime real estate will be in central Canada once all the permafrost melts and the resulting sinkholes finally settle.

Yeah but I'll probably be dead before that happens.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Great Maple Syrup War looms you say?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

I was visiting down in St. Petersburg a few weeks ago, I can believe that place is proper hosed if a strong enough hurricane slams it.

On a completely unrelated note, I am very, very, very glad to not be down there anymore.

grew up there

the only thing that might be worse than that whole county's chances during a cat4-5 is the evac routes. they all lead either into a funnel in north county or across several bridges over the bay. lol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harton posted:

Yeah but I'll probably be dead before that happens.

You'd be surprised.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

logosanatic posted:

what was the news confirming trumps under investigation for obstruction? wasnt that the purpose of mueller from the beginning?

No, Mueller's investigation is to generally determine the degree of Russian involvement with Trump's campaign. His scope, as determined by DAG Rosenstein, can be expanded as required to encompass anything related to that general topic, hence now the talk of money laundering. Trump's legal team has been denying for a while that Trump was under investigation by Mueller with respect to obstruction of justice, but we now seem to have received some degree of confirmation that he is (although it was generally accepted that he was being investigated for this, as Trump himself admitted he fired Comey to shut down the Russia investigation).

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

skylined! posted:

grew up there

the only thing that might be worse than that whole county's chances during a cat4-5 is the evac routes. they all lead either into a funnel in north county or across several bridges over the bay. lol.

Seriously, I was a little shocked just how close the water was to the roads on those.

Also, there was tons of road construction going on there, so that's a great complication to the nightmare scenario.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

awesome. so trumps purposeful negligence is gonna gently caress him over again.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Harton posted:

The Great Lakes region is looking like a good place to retire at this point. I always wanted to move south when I got older but my house may be worth millions when the coasts collapse over climate change.

Michigan is terrible. Stay away.(I live here, it's real bad)

Indiana sucks. Ohio is awful too. Wisconsin is horrible. Chicago is pretty cool, the rest of Illinois is farms.

Move to Chicago I guess? I'd move somewhere warm though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dirt posted:

Indiana sucks. Ohio is awful too. Wisconsin is horrible. Chicago is pretty cool, the rest of Illinois is farms.

MIGF lives too close to Chicago.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

nerox posted:

There is rich, there is "gently caress you" rich, and then there's "Here's a video of me blowing up more money than you will ever hope to see in your life and laughing about it" rich.

I don't like Musk all that much either, but making fun of his advancing of space exploration is a bit Luddite, don't you think?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dirt posted:

Minnesota is great!

We generally vote for the right people, we care about civic pride, we vote blue as the rest of the nation dies, and we have a great economy! Minnesota is great!

We also have the best State Fair!

Move to Minnesota!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Everywhere on the globe is gonna get hosed hard by climate change, it's just a matter of deciding on which poo poo climate you want to live in.

Lots of parts of the Midwest are prone to flooding, in large part due to draining of almost all of the wetlands but also because the dams are incredibly old and silting in so they're much less effective at actually holding water.

How do you feel about tornados? Blizzards? Hail?

Rookersh posted:

Minnesota is great!

We generally vote for the right people, we care about civic pride, we vote blue as the rest of the nation dies, and we have a great economy! Minnesota is great!

Move to Minnesota!

Yeah Minnesota or the Great Lakes region in general is honestly one of the better places to be. But just wait until malaria makes its way to Minnesota mosquitos :stare:

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

skylined! posted:

grew up there

Gulf to Bay Blvd will be a distant memory

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pellisworth posted:

Everywhere on the globe is gonna get hosed hard by climate change, it's just a matter of deciding on which poo poo climate you want to live in.

Lots of parts of the Midwest are prone to flooding, in large part due to draining of almost all of the wetlands but also because the dams are incredibly old and silting in so they're much less effective at actually holding water.

How do you feel about tornados? Blizzards? Hail?

Eh, that stuff isn't so bad (the increasingly frequent hail storms in the spring are beginning to grate, though). The real problem will be when the Great Plains desertify into the Great Mojave and wipe out all the farmland. That's more or less how the poo poo in Syria got started.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

skylined! posted:

grew up there

I used to commute across the Howard Franklin bridge to work every day. With no traffic, it's a half hour trip. During rush hour on my way there, and when I would cross back at night during construction (in which they routinely moved 3/4 lanes down to one) it could take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. I don't even know if I'd chance trying to go straight north out of there in an evacuation scenario, you'd probably be better off going over the Skyway south and cutting across to the middle of the state.

I just hope I finish grad school and get the gently caress out of here before I have to worry about that.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Rookersh posted:

Minnesota is great!

Move to Minnesota!

I forgot all about about Minnesota. It is nice!

Those winters are brutal though. I currently live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and just cant fathom wanting to move anywhere that has winters that are just as bad as here or worse in some places.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Dirt posted:

Born and raised in northwest Indiana right outside Chicago. I already know how bad it sucks lol.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Eh, that stuff isn't so bad (the increasingly frequent hail storms in the spring are beginning to grate, though). The real problem will be when the Great Plains desertify into the Great Mojave and wipe out all the farmland. That's more or less how the poo poo in Syria got started.

Gotta use up all our aquifers to grow corn!

Honestly I think the most dangerous winter weather is late winter / early spring where temperatures are warm enough that you get a lot of melt freezing into ice plus hail, high winds. Snow is bad but manageable, ice is deadly.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

sad high five pinellas goons

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm convinced that even if a supernova scorches the entire solar system and galactic cluster and San Diego would still be at a static 72F.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm convinced that even if a supernova scorches the entire solar system and galactic cluster and San Diego would still be at a static 72F.

:wrong:

It’s 81 right now

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Wisconsin, Minnesota, Hawaii, and Alaska. Excellent states to live in.

Wisco gotta right the ship and get that lopside-headed gently caress and his cronies out though.

E: Washington too

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

skylined! posted:

grew up there

I was really perplexed until I finally figured out you guys aren't talking about Saint Petersburg, Russia.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

skylined! posted:

sad high five pinellas goons

I grew up in Palm Harbor, my family still lives there so I'm a bit worried. My in-laws down in Stuart know how to handle things but my brother bought a house in Land o Lakes and doesn't have storm shutters, and my dad downsized to a manufactured home.

I GTFO to Seattle five years ago though after a decade in Orlando.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A lovely Reporter posted:

...well that explains some things. Didn't realize they had that effect.

It can vary greatly person to person. Other classes antidepressants like Wellbutrin also don't do it.

Paxil is notorious for it though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Any word on what kind of position Clarke is going to get? Besides Token Black Guy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Any word on what kind of position Clarke is going to get? Besides Token Black Guy.

Some DHS position I think where he can profile the dirty muslims.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I thought Godfather’s Pizza already had the job of Token Black Guy. I think Clarke is taking Gorka’s Legitimate Nazi post.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bobby Digital posted:

:wrong:

It’s 81 right now

I'm in San Diego, it's 95 today and 101 tomorrow. We do get heat waves here.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Boon posted:

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Hawaii, and Alaska. Excellent states to live in.

Wisco gotta right the ship and get that lopside-headed gently caress and his cronies out though.

E: Washington too

Wisconsin is not good though.

Someone tell me where is cool to live. I have like 9 more months at my current job before I can leave(had to work here for a certain amount of time for tuition reimbursement).

My short list of places is Sacramento(family there), San Diego(family and friends there), Las Vegas(friends) and Albuquerque(wild card). I'm a nurse so I can probably get a decent job in any of these places. I just want out of the snow.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

St. Pete Chat! I went to school there but I lived in Land O' Cows and commuted every day. What fun that 'ol bridge wasn't! I'd be sad to see St. Pete go, though.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I grew up in Palm Harbor, my family still lives there so I'm a bit worried. My in-laws down in Stuart know how to handle things but my brother bought a house in Land o Lakes and doesn't have storm shutters, and my dad downsized to a manufactured home.

I GTFO to Seattle five years ago though after a decade in Orlando.

just got off the phone with my brother, who had no idea what was happening with harvey, to tell him to be prepared in a week to grab his kid and leave. i feel kinda crazy doom monger-ish, but,

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

secstate after tillerson gets canned

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm in San Diego, it's 95 today and 101 tomorrow. We do get heat waves here.

I’m also in San Diego, was going off the iOS weather app for current temp :shobon:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dirt posted:

Wisconsin is not good though.

Someone tell me where is cool to live. I have like 9 more months at my current job before I can leave(had to work here for a certain amount of time for tuition reimbursement).

My short list of places is Sacramento(family there), San Diego(family and friends there), Las Vegas(friends) and Albuquerque(wild card). I'm a nurse so I can probably get a decent job in any of these places. I just want out of the snow.

Minnesota is where all the cool people from Wisconsin are fleeing to as Wisconsin's economy becomes more and more like Kansas. That is to say, a shitshow.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rookersh posted:

Minnesota is great!

Move to Minnesota!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
For the record 8f no one knows the source, that's snow.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

In non-Harvey, non-Mueller news:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/903322270634045445

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

minnesota is pretty good if you like snow and cold. if u dont, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking