Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is that your ceiling? Neat. Is it really woven like that or is it some sort of faux finish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

It's about 40x40cm (18x18in)

Oh my god, get some tiny professional wrestling figurines and stick them in the light upside down!

http://figurestoycompany.com/legendsofprofessionalwrestling.aspx

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hehehe it's wallpaper that looks like woven bamboo. It has little ridges and looks good up close, too (the room is only 9x9ft.)

Lil wrestling dudes is a good idea.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 31, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

peanut posted:

Lil wrestling dudes is a good idea.

Correction: it is the BEST idea.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Oh my god, get some tiny professional wrestling figurines and stick them in the light upside down!

http://figurestoycompany.com/legendsofprofessionalwrestling.aspx

:staredog: is that action figure wearing crotchless tights?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The coolest grandma EVER lives here

The photo albums :3:

Look at these awesome built-ins

Somehow the Words On Walls are charming and not obnoxious here. That door leads to a private balcony.

The grandkids' bedrooms are in the upper level, and there is a SECRET CLUBHOUSE next to the closet!

Granny's got 12 acres with two barns, trails, a swimming creek, and this swing

I want that house badly, but only if it comes with all the decor and furniture.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's an amazing house, but that blue line not lining up bothers me irrationally. To be honest it would probably look better without it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

That's an amazing house, but that blue line not lining up bothers me irrationally. To be honest it would probably look better without it.

Is it me or is it lined up with the skyline outside?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Don Dongington posted:

Kitchen - Who needs an island bench when you have this much goddamn linear space?

MORE KITCHEN PHOTOS PLEASE! What a beauty!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
The kitchen might be dated, but it is a great layout for such a small space.

The dining/living room area ... that will be some work.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
More photos to come - I pick up he keys on the 20th.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The kitchen might be dated, but it is a great layout for such a small space.

The dining/living room area ... that will be some work.

I'd keep the kitchen the way it is, maybe replace the appliances if they are in bad shape and put in a dishwasher and replace the ugly floor, but the cabinets look plenty modern. That countertop is hard wearing and easy to clean, no need to put in quartz or whatever.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Granny House kitchen desperately needs updating. Except for the wall-mounted phone with the infinity-cord; that needs to stay.

Also:

peanut posted:

It's about 40x40cm (18x18in)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cigaw posted:

Granny House kitchen desperately needs updating. Except for the wall-mounted phone with the infinity-cord; that needs to stay.

How so? The fridge and stove are a little bland, I guess, but if they work they work. Is it the red rugs? They don't really match.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

cigaw posted:

Also:

quoting so it's in my post history

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh wow, I just noticed that the archway entrance to that kitchen seems to open on a level overlooking the living room.

I want to put on an apron and stand in that archway arms folded watching what my children are up to from above.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Facebook Aunt posted:

How so? The fridge and stove are a little bland, I guess, but if they work they work. Is it the red rugs? They don't really match.

because the thread title is interior design so presumably it's about looking for ways to make aesthetic improvements to things?

I mean if your goal is to have a place that looks like a grandma house then you're golden but if your goal is to update things and make them look nice then it could use a lot of work and those appliances are kind of terrible.

A new paint color would go along way in that room but it could also use new window treatments, a different light fixture, and possibly a different ceiling. Long term the counters and cabinetry are still really dated but the other things are low-hanging fruit comparatively.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think a colored backsplash/walls to contrast with the white cabinets and floor would make big difference (matcha green or mustard yellow! with a chicken theme?!?!)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

MMD3 posted:

because the thread title is interior design so presumably it's about looking for ways to make aesthetic improvements to things?

I mean if your goal is to have a place that looks like a grandma house then you're golden but if your goal is to update things and make them look nice then it could use a lot of work and those appliances are kind of terrible.

A new paint color would go along way in that room but it could also use new window treatments, a different light fixture, and possibly a different ceiling. Long term the counters and cabinetry are still really dated but the other things are low-hanging fruit comparatively.

See I posted the house because I happen to like the "grandma" style (or Cottage/Farmhouse/whatever) particularly here when it's a great old house with nice antiques and some neat decor that gives it personality and warmth. I would replace the counters and appliances but I would definitely keep that shade of pink (that's my favorite thing about it tbh) and of course the hutches/chests and that neat old sink thing under the chalkboard. Other than that and pulling some of the carpets I wouldn't "remodel" this gem.

On the other end of the spectrum, who wants to live in this 1959 Bauhaus beauty?

the only time carpeted stairs are acceptable

THIS BATHROOM

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Help, the house is eating my toilet! Though I guess that does solve having to mop behind it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is this the orgy room? That seems to be a bed that fold up into the wall, and to the right is another rectangle that looks like a second fold out double bed. Who needs two double beds and a giant sectional?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I figured the other rectangle hid the TV.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Or perhaps the fireplace.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Or the microwave.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is this the orgy room? That seems to be a bed that fold up into the wall, and to the right is another rectangle that looks like a second fold out double bed. Who needs two double beds and a giant sectional?

Two Murphy beds, presumably for guests. It's basically a hotel room in their house.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah that's definitely a second bed. Maybe that was a thing in the 50s.

(Perhaps it's for guest couples to sleep in separate beds)

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Youth Decay posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, who wants to live in this 1959 Bauhaus beauty?

This is awesome and would actually make me briefly consider living in Minnesota.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Youth Decay posted:

THIS BATHROOM

yo how the gently caress am i supposed to pretend i'm on a motorcycle when i'm taking a dump with the toilet inset like that

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

No thanks.

SoundMonkey posted:

yo how the gently caress am i supposed to pretend i'm on a motorcycle when i'm taking a dump with the toilet inset like that

Put two bricks on the floor and pretend it's a Harley.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I stared so hard at that loving toilet that it tool three times seeing the picture to notice that loving door over the tub. Where does that go?'

There's some weird perspective going on. Is that a fireplace?

The house is pretty amazing but the bathroom is :wtf:

edit: the orgy room is :lol:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I mean, this is pretty and all but I can't shake the feeling that I am in an upscale Brazilian public building, and that I need to get in a line somewhere.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Only $1.2m? Sure, why not.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

HardDiskD posted:

I mean, this is pretty and all but I can't shake the feeling that I am in an upscale Brazilian public building, and that I need to get in a line somewhere.

Yeah, some of the pictures in this thread have been great food for thought (like the house pages and pages ago with walls lined floor-to-ceiling with bookshelves), in that they look more like public spaces than homes. I think it's interesting to think about what specifically gives off this impression, and whether that's a look to avoid or not.

One feature that passively contributes to the office vibe is a very high ceiling -- I'd be really interested in seeing pictures of houses with unusually high ceilings that have managed to look cozy and home-like. (Probably by avoiding the other common feature to these examples: the absolute adherence to a neutral color scheme throughout the house.)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Bloop posted:

I stared so hard at that loving toilet that it tool three times seeing the picture to notice that loving door over the tub. Where does that go?'

There's some weird perspective going on. Is that a fireplace?

The house is pretty amazing but the bathroom is :wtf:

edit: the orgy room is :lol:

The 6th picture shows the other side of the door, to the upstairs hallway. That great tall round fireplace tower has 3 different fireplace openings on the 3 levels of the house (3 bedrooms on upper level, living-dining-kitchen on 1st floor and orgy room + office in lower level) so looking at the upstairs fireplace opening. There are a bunch more photos in the Zillow link to get a sense of the space.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Rabbit Hill posted:

Yeah, some of the pictures in this thread have been great food for thought (like the house pages and pages ago with walls lined floor-to-ceiling with bookshelves), in that they look more like public spaces than homes. I think it's interesting to think about what specifically gives off this impression, and whether that's a look to avoid or not.

One feature that passively contributes to the office vibe is a very high ceiling -- I'd be really interested in seeing pictures of houses with unusually high ceilings that have managed to look cozy and home-like. (Probably by avoiding the other common feature to these examples: the absolute adherence to a neutral color scheme throughout the house.)

One of these days I'm going to pen my thesis on how Mid-Century Modern architecture was a reaction/rebellion to the closed sexual mores of its time. The open floor plans, walls of windows, open kitchens (vs the closed kitchens which were used to hide domestic servants and/or wives) and the open bathrooms that a few houses I've posted ITT have were all sort of scandalous for their time. They let groups of people into houses, instead of clustering them into reception halls and parlors and the current McMansion "lawyer foyer". They indeed made the private public. Where we see small Victorian/Edwardian rooms and think "cozy" MCM architects saw closed-off chambers where only a few people could enter. While the old style of houses hid the bedrooms and bathroom upstairs, MCM houses either brough them down to ground level or, as in the case of the house above, had just a half-upper floor leaving a high ceiling with the bedrooms/bedroom hallway above exposed to the living area. And that little door directly to the bathtub which is definitely original to that house must have been shocking to the average 1959 taste.

That said, there are definitely ways to cozy-up a high vaulted ceiling:

A similar idea to the Bauhaus house, but more organic (and about a million dollars cheaper)

My dream house here

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

am i the only one who thinks those enormous custom windows and also a bunch of tall trees is sorta tempting fate

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The unfavorite gets to stay upstairs during thunderstorms.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Looks like the world's most awesome treehouse.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those windows and wood frames are not going to hold up well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Those windows and wood frames are not going to hold up well.

Depends on upkeep more than anything else. Keep the outside protected, keep the glazing in good condition, and it'll be fine even though the wood and the glass expand/contract at different rates.