Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Krispy Kareem posted:

It’s a really good article. All the old trucks had to be retired for environmental reasons and the shipping companies thought they could pass those costs onto their drivers.

And I guess they did, since many of them didn’t speak English and didn’t know they were being screwed. Any driver who did take his dispute to the labor board won their case. Like 100% of all decisions have broken for the drivers. I’m going to guess there are no shortages of labor attorneys hanging out by the docks now.

USA Today article
https://www.usatoday.com/pages/interactives/news/rigged-forced-into-debt-worked-past-exhaustion-left-with-nothing/

Edit: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Guest2553 posted:

Burger king introduced their own cryptocurrency in Russia. Surprisingly it seems more financially sound than most cryptocurrencies since it's at least backed by Real Beef(c).

I don't think that's crypto, more like scrip.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think that's crypto, more like scrip.

Everything I've heard about the burger king coin indicates that it's just a marketing thing that has little to nothing to do with cryptocoins, but boy is it working since it's been posted in this thread like twice and I've seen it in 3 other threads already

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's definitely better than most cryptos, in that it's backed by hamburgers rather than the hopes and dreams of libertarian nerds.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ate all the Oreos posted:

Everything I've heard about the burger king coin indicates that it's just a marketing thing that has little to nothing to do with cryptocoins, but boy is it working since it's been posted in this thread like twice and I've seen it in 3 other threads already

what do you think a cryptocoin is, exactly?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zo posted:

Oh I missed the part that it was built by Waves, okay so it's just a totally unnecessary cryptocoin that's entirely for marketing reasons :v:

In my defense despite seeing this in several threads I always closed the article before reading more than a few paragraphs because my eyes were rolling too hard.

So basically in my defense im dum

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 31, 2017

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zo posted:

An interesting academic idea for a solution to a specific technological problem that mainly got turned into a massive pyramid scheme that requires burning more electricity that multiple small countries, usually in the form of highly polluting coal powered plants in China, instead of any sort of useful application.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

pr0zac posted:

An interesting academic idea for a solution to a specific technological problem that mainly got turned into a massive pyramid scheme that requires burning more electricity that multiple small countries, usually in the form of highly polluting coal powered plants in China, instead of any sort of useful application.

I really want to hear Trump try to describe BitCoin.

A bunch of cyber in Jhina. Yuge deal. Jared's big in it. High quality big energy. The Social Security lock box is now 100% Bitcoin.

Eric bought all-in at $1200. Sad.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Took an Uber to a wedding this past weekend, and the car that showed up was a brand new Tesla Model S. The driver told us that he had financed it for the sole purpose of driving for Uber. He was a retired security guard or something, didn't sound like he was exactly rolling in money and was just doing it for fun.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
From the stock trading megathread:

scrubs season six posted:

I think the much more common scam was selling the new dinar (not from Saddams regime) and also saying that it would assume the the value that it had in ~1979. E.g. the 25,000 dinar bill they bought for 20 bucks would be worth 80,000 USD.

And the Zimbabwe dollar scam was spun off from the iraqi dinar scam after the scammers realized they had a captive audience of total retards that would buy any currency they told them to, at a massive markup. E.g.:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1258844

tldr this woman spent her life savings (like 12 grand) to go to Zimbabwe in order to redeem the 800 bucks of zimbabwe dollars she bought off ebay for their 1.2 trillion dollar USD "real value."

"We had also expressed extreme desire to invest in the country through charitable foundations and organize our own as we have been tracking the suffering of Zimbabwe's people"

I.e. after they gave her 1 trillion USD she would invest some of that money back into Zimbabwe charities.

We have spent our life saving and have been Bullied, Stomped on Shoved around and told we have NO rights..
Our long term speculative investment was legal and confirmed exchangeable during this demonization process of the ZIM dollar yet again confirmed at z$35,000 to every $1 USD on the news reports as by the RBZ itself.
The International monetary forex rates z$1
To USD $0.002.

That'd mean her demonetized 100 trillion zim note, purchased on ebay or amazon for anywhere between 5 and 25 bucks as a novelty, and never worth more than 4 or 5 bucks back when it was legal tender, would be worth roughly 29 million dollars. And she'd bought enough of them that it added up to over a trillion USD.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Uterine Lineup posted:

From the stock trading megathread:

One weird trick discovered by a mom to earn more than the entire gross domestic product of Mexico

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
How charitable of her to say she would have stooped to donate some of her vast fortune to charity.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
demonization process :downs:

quote:

Why have they pushed the demonization process back twice already and why dose the policy have two exchange rates for Zimbabwean account holders which is either 35 quadrillion to $1 or $35,000 to $1 USD? And what is the deciding factor on what rates they give for the 2008 VS 2009 notes? Why dose that matter if they are ALL being demonitized?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The red flag for me was dose for does.

Like literally just wanna drown this woman.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In a Scrooge McDuck pile of Zimbabwean bills.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Electrical Fire posted:

Took an Uber to a wedding this past weekend, and the car that showed up was a brand new Tesla Model S. The driver told us that he had financed it for the sole purpose of driving for Uber. He was a retired security guard or something, didn't sound like he was exactly rolling in money and was just doing it for fun.

I mean, it certainly would be more economical in terms of gas and maintenance, but that probably gets wiped out by the luxury price. If it was a model 3 I could see it working well.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
This is a pro click. 7 pages of pure BWM straight into my tear ducts.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Yawgmoth posted:

This is a pro click. 7 pages of pure BWM straight into my tear ducts.

Anyone interested in making a contribution to Comedy Goldmine? I sort of stopped reading 'em all a number of years ago, but we've got some HOF level content here.

TB is gone for a few days. When he/she/it returns, please don't feed the dinosaur troll.

Weatherman posted:

Put TB on ignore for fucks sake. Hell, put me on ignore too if it makes you feel better. Just stop responding to them so this thread (too) stops getting clogged up with slap fights.

Please heed this cool and good poster's advice

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 31, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sepherothic posted:

I mean, it certainly would be more economical in terms of gas and maintenance, but that probably gets wiped out by the luxury price. If it was a model 3 I could see it working well.

Yeah but if one jerk backs into you in a parking lot and dents a fender you're out $5K, so maybe not.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah but if one jerk backs into you in a parking lot and dents a fender you're out $5K, so maybe not.
I presume that's only if you bother repairing it? Will you fail the uber inspection or however it is they vet vehicles?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sepherothic posted:

the model S has been pretty unreliable though I imagine new build ones are a bit more reliable these days

if you just wanted a model S anyway and you are just looking to absorb some of the cost I guess I could see justification but Uber is basically just a way to extract value from your vehicle

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Moneyball posted:

TB is gone for a few days. When he/she/it returns, please don't feed the dinosaur troll.

Or we could try not posting so much dumb, inconsiderate, bigoted poo poo?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

greazeball posted:

The last thing that set her off was someone saying it's a good rule of thumb to only pay 3x your annual gross income to buy a house.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I presume that's only if you bother repairing it? Will you fail the uber inspection or however it is they vet vehicles?

Yeah, you wouldn't qualify any more with a punched-in fender.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the model S has been pretty unreliable though I imagine new build ones are a bit more reliable these days

Both of mine have been fine other than minor quibbles (slight leak of moonroof seal, rattle in door), and even the more extreme issues with the very early ones were covered by warranty, so the dollar cost (if not opportunity cost) should be zero.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Both of mine have been fine other than minor quibbles (slight leak of moonroof seal, rattle in door), and even the more extreme issues with the very early ones were covered by warranty, so the dollar cost (if not opportunity cost) should be zero.

Humblebrag detected.

Nah, it’s okay. I have a pretty bitching Kia so I know what it’s like.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Krispy Kareem posted:

Humblebrag detected.

I drive a milk carton.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

Humblebrag detected.

My previous car was a Kia! I loved it!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moneyball posted:

TB and I obviously aren't the best of friends, but misgendering and de-personing her is some bullshit. You can give your mod guidance in a way that's not demeaning.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

greazeball posted:

this is the bwm thread, so if you can't handle what's essentially "poor people shouldn't have nice things (that they can't afford, because they are poor)", maybe read a different thread??

Droo posted:

The last thing that set her off was someone saying it's a good rule of thumb to only pay 3x your annual gross income to buy a house.

wow how inconsiderate and bigoted lol

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Droo posted:

Saying something reasonable like that is the same as being a neo-nazi apparently

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Post stories, nerds.

The BWM in this story isn't the poster, it's the boss. BWM on two fronts: getting hosed by both the Labor Department and the Bar Association.

My boss has been paying me later and later, and now I have not been paid in over a month. How can i get the money I am owed?

quote:

First of all, my boss is an Attorney. That makes my life harder, because it will cost her nothing to fight me if I hire a lawyer.

We don't always have money coming into the firm, but that does not stop her from living a lavish life style. She has not paid her employees in over a month. When we ask about payroll she will try to guilt us and start getting upset. "We need to bring in money before we can get paid" has been her excuse. One employee got fed up and left. Here is the kicker, she does not pay taxes. So the employee that left did not get paid and did not get to collect unemployment.

I have all of my pay stubs from when she switched to quickbooks earlier this year. Everything from the last year I have no record of. She never made me sign an employment contract when I started working. What can I do to get out of this situation with the money I am owed?

Edit: Thanks you everyone who took the time out of the day to share advice and their own experiences. This is the most friendly and helpful sub on Reddit! I will try to post an update in the near future.

quote:

You actually have a very good option here, better than most folks in your situation (not getting paid for work).

Report her to the state bar. As an attorney she has ethical requirements for maintaining her ability to practice, and stuffing her employees is way over that line.

Edit for typos.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boy I hope they post an update.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Oh boy they've pointed out the whistle blower reward for reporting the tax evasion. IRS has more legal resources than a soon to be disbarred boss.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Dick landlord squeezes $1200 out of tenants because he can which costs him $20k a few years down the road when it costs him a real estate commission. It's amazing how long people will hold onto poo poo.

Subjunctive posted:

TB and I obviously aren't the best of friends, but misgendering and de-personing her is some bullshit. You can give your mod guidance in a way that's not demeaning.

Free TB :colbert:

e. I, too, base my support for people's rights depending on how they personally make me feel.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 1, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I’m pretty sure TB is a walking trigger warning. I just haven’t figured out if she’s the one getting triggered or if it’s us.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
MacEwan University defrauded of nearly $12M in phishing scam

quote:

The fraud led university staff members to transfer $11.8 million to a bank account they believed belonged to the vendor, the university said.

MacEwan University spokesperson David Beharry said three relatively low-level staff members were involved in the transfer.

the biggest bwm here isn't even falling for the scam, but rather having MILLIONS OF DOLLARS being handled by your "low level staff" i.e. summer interns lmao

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Zo posted:

MacEwan University defrauded of nearly $12M in phishing scam

the biggest bwm here isn't even falling for the scam, but rather having MILLIONS OF DOLLARS being handled by your "low level staff" i.e. summer interns lmao

Last time I've heard of employees falling for that scam they weren't interns - it was the CFO and their direct reports.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

FrozenVent posted:

Last time I've heard of employees falling for that scam they weren't interns - it was the CFO and their direct reports.

yes, hence why i mentioned falling for the scam itself isn't even the biggest failing here

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Moneyball posted:

I don't see why you feel the need to be a huge douchebag with the "he/she/it" garbage, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colin Mockery posted:

I don't see why you feel the need to be a huge douchebag with the "he/she/it" garbage, though.

Probably because this is exactly the kind of thing that triggers TB (and it's coming from someone who can stomp her again), and she has the tendency to get on people's nerves in between the few actual good posts she makes.

I generally like TB.....and then there it a TB tirade that makes me completely forget anything useful she's posted. I get it.