Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So is anyone pre-making characters to use? With their own backstories and histories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My approach to characters is to give anyone that survives a few missions a slot in the character pool. If they come with an interesting look I'll come up with a personality for them based around that, if not I hit the random button from a mod until something good pops up. Then I write a little fanfic about them like a nerd.

I've done it enough that I have a pretty deep character pool now. Its fun to see a character that died horribly on your last campaign become a badass (and then die again).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Beagle is playing xcom 2 again. Apparently he hasn't played in 6 months.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
He will loathe WotC

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Beagle is playing xcom 2 again. Apparently he hasn't played in 6 months.

Stream or more YT uploads?

I am very thoroughly enjoying clowning on the warlock, can't wait to do the same to the hunter.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

So is anyone pre-making characters to use? With their own backstories and histories?

One of my guys is former EXALT, with the bandanna and the EXALT Flag Mod for them

I also make equivalents to Zhang and Annette and make them the same people from XCOM:EW. Zhang was one of the first recipients of the Meld Gene mods before the fall of XCOM and kept his youth until now. Annette was kept in stasis by the aliens like The Commander before being rescued by the Templars, who helped her realize her psionic potential.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 1, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zore posted:

He will loathe WotC

Well, he's bee praising the changes so far.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Stream or more YT uploads?

I am very thoroughly enjoying clowning on the warlock, can't wait to do the same to the hunter.

Currently on twitch.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

Well, he's bee praising the changes so far.

He'll stop being happy once he hits the mechanics that make avoiding damage actually impossible like the assassin's melee

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It also clowns even further on his normal strategies and based on that rant video when he quit LW2 he doesnt adapt well to change

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is the dumbest thing, but if I turn the "No thanks" mod back on will it break anything? I can live without the goofy awards, but that one's mandatory. :colbert:

e: Watching Beaglerush, Gotcha Again looks way overpowered somehow. Like you're not supposed to know if you're hosed or not. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 1, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I do wish there were younger looking heads. Like teenagers.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
huh, is a breakthrough that lets me instantly excavate something as good as it sounds

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

UberJew posted:

He'll stop being happy once he hits the mechanics that make avoiding damage actually impossible like the assassin's melee

Its not the game's fault you aren't using scanning beacons.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Verviticus posted:

huh, is a breakthrough that lets me instantly excavate something as good as it sounds

As advertised. :confused:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
no poo poo it does what it says, but people have been talking a lot about their inability to build what they want and if space is a limiting factor it can be better than it might've been in the regular game

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not the game's fault you aren't using scanning beacons.

Useful for tracking her after the first strike, but that first attack where she comes in from nowhere, less so

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Verviticus posted:

no poo poo it does what it says, but people have been talking a lot about their inability to build what they want and if space is a limiting factor it can be better than it might've been in the regular game

Yes.

Although I'm finding myself more supplies limited than anything else.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

Yeah, do it. Your next excavation is instant. Use it on a section that requires more than one person if ya can.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Today I learned the hard way that if you upgrade one of the unique items (shadowkeeper, hunter's axe, RAGE armor, etc) while it's equipped to someone that's on a covert op, it doesn't actually upgrade and it gets stuck at whatever tier. RIP shadowkeeper. :v:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

One of my guys is former EXALT, with the bandanna and the EXALT Flag Mod for them

I may need to use this.

Right now I'm making about three or four troops that were part of a raiding party that was targeting Resistance strongholds. X-Com beat and press ganged the survivors into service.

And I have three solders who are teens and young people were born and raised in the city centers.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Virulence posted:

Today I learned the hard way that if you upgrade one of the unique items (shadowkeeper, hunter's axe, RAGE armor, etc) while it's equipped to someone that's on a covert op, it doesn't actually upgrade and it gets stuck at whatever tier. RIP shadowkeeper. :v:

My shadowkeeper is on a sharpshooter that got captured. Been about four months now and no rescue has popped up in CovOps

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BigRed0427 posted:

I may need to use this.

Right now I'm making about three or four troops that were part of a raiding party that was targeting Resistance strongholds. X-Com beat and press ganged the survivors into service.

And I have three solders who are teens and young people were born and raised in the city centers.

I have at least two balding middle-aged soldiers who went through a midlife crisis I guess because here they are, led by a burger-obsessed man, someone they've never seen leave engineering, and being flown around by a guy who apparently won't stop drinking whiskey.

e: I need a mod that plays the Fire Emblem "you leveled up!" jingle for whenever bonds increase.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My favorite thing about anarchy's children is it makes it so much easier to come up with backstories for people based on their dumb outfits.

I had a balding guy in glasses show up in shorts with spiked gauntlets. He looked a suburban dad that wandered into Mad Max.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Someone convince me Templars don't suck. Their weapon does so little damage compared to a fine sword combined with Blademaster. :(

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, do it. Your next excavation is instant. Use it on a section that requires more than one person if ya can.

Technically, none require more than one excavator. They simply take the longest with 1. Alien Debris < Alien Machinery = Power Coil. Pick the last if possible, pick an Alien Machinery on the third or fourth level if not.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Apoplexy posted:

Someone convince me Templars don't suck. Their weapon does so little damage compared to a fine sword combined with Blademaster. :(

Their weapon gains damage as Focus increases.
And they can't miss.
And they can add Blademaster on top of it.
And Reaper.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Maluco Marinero posted:

Doesn't necessarily explain why people (both ADVENT and Resistance) keep going back in there if they can't find a source, but I guess maybe they're still looking. :p It would be interesting to do something sort of like Jagged Alliance 2's scifi mode for Guerrilla War, where there are Lost cities (mines in JA2), and you can either deal with the outbreaks, or you can try to get all the way down and kill them off for good by hitting the queen.

It should be obvious why the resistance hangs out in Lost cities. It's like any rebel group hanging out in caves or mountains or where the weather sucks. You hide where the cops hesitate to go.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Or is it Sputnik posted:

There's a bug with Avast antivirus that will crash the game when any resistance orders screen appears after a mission. I've had this happen half a dozen times tonight and when I exit the game entirely before viewing, I can view them as usual. It also has the side effect of switching out soldier portraits for placeholder images. It might also be why my save data becomes corrupted randomly (which has NEVER happened before in the 160 hours I've played of XCOM2).

https://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?4337964-Covert-Ops-Crashes&s=3bb1c55c4563b5e770c35705fc2397fc&p=14923310#post14923310

quote:

If you are running Avast, you have to go to the Ransomware Shield and remove My Documents from being protected. It's this program that was preventing Xcom 2 from saving pictures including Photobooth and soldier thumbnails to the location. Once I did this, I got rid of the "img" placeholder for soldier thumbnails and stopped the endless loop that occured on the Covert Action screen.

As an FYI this bug can also occur with AVG. I followed the instructions here and they worked on my end.

QuintessenceX fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 1, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

They're good melee characters out of the gate, they can't miss, also they get very good AoE later on. Also they act as a mini Mimic Beacon if there's one enemy left.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Apoplexy posted:

Blademasters don't get to dash in and then out until what, major? And they don't get 100% hit rate until you kill the assassin.

Templar get both starting as soon as you recruit them

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Supply Raid with "High Explosives" sitrep. (area filled with explosives, apparently)

Should I bring three Grenadiers? :black101:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Deuce posted:

Supply Raid with "High Explosives" sitrep. (area filled with explosives, apparently)

Should I bring three Grenadiers? :black101:

gently caress grenadiers bring a reaper

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Apoplexy posted:

Technically, none require more than one excavator. They simply take the longest with 1. Alien Debris < Alien Machinery = Power Coil. Pick the last if possible, pick an Alien Machinery on the third or fourth level if not.

You need to feed them a kill. They get stupid powerful as they accumulate Focus. They are probably one of, if not the single hardest hitting weapons at max focus with a Celestial Gauntlet.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

UberJew posted:

gently caress grenadiers bring a reaper

Reaper is sleepy :(

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I get why they called them "Templars" but in actual terms they are more skirmishers than Skirmishers. Hit and run is their thing

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

You need to feed them a kill. They get stupid powerful as they accumulate Focus. They are probably one of, if not the single hardest hitting weapons at max focus with a Celestial Gauntlet.

Alternatively you can get the buff at one of the later levels that lets them pick up focus from corpses killed by others

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't get why they didn't give Skirmishers are better name. Its not a very intimidating one.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I need more options for photo taking. My harddrive is filling up with these loving posters.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Advent Burger jingle is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The Lost is a loving genius mechanic. Just finished the first mission where you encounter them and it was so tense trying to make my way through the city without being overwhelmed. It ended with me killing a mob of them by sending one of my guys to the second floor of a building, then jumping the remaining zombies by overwatching the rest of my squad in a tiny hallway. And I still thought I might have died.

Good poo poo.