Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Basically. Ill still have a call with the guy next week because I've know him and the VP for that stuff for almost 5 years now through my PhD work. Mad that they'd do that to me tho.

gently caress 'em. Put them on speakerphone, tea-bag the phone, send them a video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

gently caress 'em. Put them on speakerphone, tea-bag the phone, send them a video.

Tempting. They would probably just lose it though

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Tempting. They would probably just lose it though

Goddamn man, you're getting a PhD, show some initiative: post it as a review on their company Facebook?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Goddamn man, you're getting a PhD, show some initiative: post it as a review on their company Facebook?

I feel that may be bad for my future prospects. Oh well waiting to hear from another company next week otherwise postdoc time ugghhh

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This is way too complex for what I need. Numberproxy looked sketch as gently caress, so I went with burner.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I start my first FTE position on Tuesday and the company mailed me a letter with gift cards for several of the best restaurants in the area. I think I've made the right choice. Feels good to unsubscribe from all the job search emails.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

huhu posted:

I start my first FTE position on Tuesday and the company mailed me a letter with gift cards for several of the best restaurants in the area. I think I've made the right choice. Feels good to unsubscribe from all the job search emails.

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

huhu posted:

no good or respectable restaurant offers gift cards

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

this is a very wrong statement

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I will add that I'm getting paid pretty well and all these little things are miles above anything any other company I've worked for has ever done.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

:thunk:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

*takes hot date to michelin star restaurant*

*asks for check*

*plops 5 $25 plastic magstripe gift cards and then gives involved instructions to waiter on how to handle the remaining balance*

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

How often are you eating at Michelin restaurants?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
one time, as a result of delaying selecting an option for a work bonus, i ended up with $1400 in olive garden gift cards

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JawnV6 posted:

one time, as a result of delaying selecting an option for a work bonus, i ended up with $1400 in olive garden gift cards

:thumbsup:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

they were right to penalize you like that

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

lol

and you probably had to pay taxes on the value of those too

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

JawnV6 posted:

fuckin' owned

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

JawnV6 posted:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

lol

and you probably had to pay taxes on the value of those too
im pretty sure gift cards that the admins gave out (separate from my glorious windfall) were ducking that reporting for a while

it eventually got formalized into a "kudos" web portal system where instead of a slip of paper it was all automated, down to radio buttons for the gift card value

there was a "$0" option, something I only knew because a guy on my team got one and he took the last 5 minutes of a technical presentation to throw it up on the screen and profusely thank our manager for the consideration

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

it eventually got formalized into a "kudos" web portal system where instead of a slip of paper it was all automated, down to radio buttons for the gift card value

there was a "$0" option, something I only knew because a guy on my team got one and he took the last 5 minutes of a technical presentation to throw it up on the screen and profusely thank our manager for the consideration

my first gig out of college had a similar kinda system, they called them "night out awards," but they were just cash

usually itd be a few hundred bucks, enough for a nice dinner and a show or whatever hence the name

that place had a company-wide freeze on raises, so my boss used that poo poo to give me a $4000 "night out" award in lieu of no raise/bonus

a cool & good boss

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

awww man, i worked hard on my av

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
just turn avs off. you won't miss them. makes it way easier to browse the forums at work too

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
restore the original av it was rly good

lol @ whatever pathetic bougie gently caress ruined it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
do the honorable thing and let the av buyer get their money's worth, it's only fair

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JawnV6 posted:

pro

loving

move

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

awww man, i worked hard on my av

your av was bad hth

sincerely,
someone who definitely wouldnt buy you an av just sayin

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

just turn avs off. you won't miss them. makes it way easier to browse the forums at work too

gently caress you... jew... killer.... 3000.... ??

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Stymie posted:

do the honorable thing and let the av buyer get their money's worth, it's only fair

- a person who loves anime dog tits

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DuckConference posted:

i would never have imagined that the process would be so slapdash and the documentation so non-existent at a company this size

lol let me tell you about my company...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

*asks for check*

*plops 5 $25 plastic magstripe gift cards and then gives involved instructions to waiter on how to handle the remaining balance*

https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com/gift-vouchers/voucher-100/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fart simpson posted:

lol let me tell you about my company...

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I've gotten gift cards to very nice restaurants before, they exist and they're nicely printed on good paper with a handwritten amount and serial number, not a plastic card

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

JawnV6 posted:

lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

JewKiller 3000 posted:

it'd be nice if this setting were stored in a cookie so that avs would remain off on the work machine and on on my home machine but w/e

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i guess i could just block the elements at work... idk

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i too make all my fine dining choices based on how loud a man on tv screams

im sure guy fieri, wolfgang puck, and rachel ray chains have gift cards too

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

i too make all my fine dining choices based on how loud a man on tv screams

im sure guy fieri, wolfgang puck, and rachel ray chains have gift cards too

you're really earning that av

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

you're really earning that av

gotta own it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

meatpotato posted:

I've gotten gift cards to very nice restaurants before, they exist and they're nicely printed on good paper with a handwritten amount and serial number, not a plastic card

yes nice restaurants often have old-timey gift certificates because all that magstripe infrastructure is expensive

this includes michelin-starred eateries

• Locked thread