Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Generation X is better the less Quentin Quire shows up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was already reading Totally Awesome Hulk so I decided to start picking up Weapon X when it started the crossover since I'd already heard good things about the book and I really enjoy it. And now that Fred Van Lente is once again teaming with Pak for this book it means I'm very likely to keep reading it. Right now that means the only X Book I haven't tried is Generation X and I'm still really liking them all. Blue sputtered a bit with the Secret Invasion tie-in but I imagine now that it's done it'll get back on track. Jean Grey is my favorite of the bunch by far though. Just a great book for a character I've never really liked that much to be honest.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
This is important work: http://www.xavierfiles.com/2017/07/08/which-x-men-vape/

quote:

If there is one X-Man who unequivocally vapes, it is obviously Gambit

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mean, Gambit is 100% made of terrible, so that makes sense.

Iz not smoking, Cher, Gambit vapes.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If there's one thing I love it's watching a Hank McCoy screw up, and whoo-boy one screwed up big today in Blue.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's even better now somehow because after taking up magic his fuckups are that much more hilarious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait, he's doing magic now?

What the hell happened?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

What the hell happened?

Scientific versions of time travel didn't work, and he spent an issue hanging out with Dr. Strange where he learned all of the wrong lessons. It's Young time displaced Hank we're talking about unless I missed something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Young Hank is absolutely going to be the next Sorcerer Supreme.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

No, that's going to be Loki

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I was going to say it should be Wiccan since he's far less of a gently caress-up, but then I remembered there's an early story arc of Dr. Strange that's basically "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly" except the fly was Dormammu and everything after that poo poo made Dormammu look like a c-list Spider-Man villain. It ended with Eternity destroying and remaking the universe because Dr. Strange hosed up so badly (yes, if we're counting deaths that technically got undone Dr. Strange has killed twice as many people as Thanos). So Hank would be a perfect fit.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Synthbuttrange posted:

What the hell happened?

Young Hank's less good at science than Old Hank, since science has like a 30 year jump on him due to time travel. Rather than using his big brain to work hard and catch up to the times, he's doing the Hank McCoy thing of taking a shortcut and using his big brain to try and shirk the consequencees.. and failing.

Because he's Hank McCoy, and for the last 30 years his modus operandi has been eloquently failing to understand, accept, and work around his own limits (see also: every time he's tried to gently caress with his mutation) and the limits of those around him.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Also, 3 Hank McCoys running around is far too many, the Wolverines, Spider-Men and Thors at least have the decency that they're different people. Beast is the same gently caress-up in various states and variants of loving-up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Young Hank's less good at science than Old Hank, since science has like a 30 year jump on him due to time travel. Rather than using his big brain to work hard and catch up to the times, he's doing the Hank McCoy thing of taking a shortcut and using his big brain to try and shirk the consequencees.. and failing.

Because he's Hank McCoy, and for the last 30 years his modus operandi has been eloquently failing to understand, accept, and work around his own limits (see also: every time he's tried to gently caress with his mutation) and the limits of those around him.

Thanks to sliding time scales it's only a 15 year jump at most. Old Hank should be within a year or two of age with Peter Parker and I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be 29 at most.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So it's more like twenty, considering they've been here for five years-- even with the sliding time scale, I think they're supposed to have been here for awhile.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cabbit posted:

So it's more like twenty, considering they've been here for five years-- even with the sliding time scale, I think they're supposed to have been here for awhile.

Peter Parker became Spider-Man at age 15, I don't think he's quite 30 yet. Hank Mccoy was a teenager at the same time as Peter Parker. However long ago Old Hank brought the O5 into the present it was definitely not after Peter Parker turning 30.

They definitely haven't been here for 5 years because 5 years hasn't passed for anyone else in the timeline.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rhyno posted:

Roth posted:

No, that's going to be Loki
Terrible Eye or GTFO

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait there's THREE hanks now?!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait there's THREE hanks now?!

Dark Beast.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Imagine getting pulled into the future by yourself but blue, furry, and talking like Kelsey Grammer, then finding out all your friends and loved ones from your time were killed off by you but from an evil alternate reality

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Autism Sneaks posted:

Imagine getting pulled into the future by yourself but blue, furry, and talking like Kelsey Grammer, then finding out all your friends and loved ones from your time were killed off by you but from an evil alternate reality

...and then deciding the right lesson is 'gently caress science, I'm gonna just bootstrap myself into magic instead'.

Actually, here's a question for the X-thread: Has Hank McCoy ever been not a gently caress up? Was his Avengers time better?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Autism Sneaks posted:

You know Bobby got off kinda easy didn't he.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
By X-Standards, Bobby Drake is probably the luckiest mutant alive, and that's including Domino :downsrim:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I thought Hank was at his best in the S.W.O.R.D. miniseries. Without the baggage and drama from the X-Men, Hank was a fun and cheerful guy who cracked dad jokes and lame puns. And his job was to help his cool girlfriend deal with aliens, either by kicking rear end or with some diplomacy, in space adventures. If they added Broo there, they could've also had dad and son science adventures and it would've been a better evolution of Hank as a character.

It just sucks that various writers over the years have crammed Hank into this serious scientist role who tries and fails to act like the rational one that it morphed him into this awful self-righteous hypocrite. :(

That, and the current design for Hank is awful, he looks like a cheap knockoff Panthro.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RandallODim posted:

Actually, here's a question for the X-thread: Has Hank McCoy ever been not a gently caress up? Was his Avengers time better?

Hank was great in Avengers because he was the team's fun guy (who occasionally dressed like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever and was best mates with safari jacket Wonder Man) rather than their smart guy, like he is in X-Men.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Sentinel Red posted:

Terrible Eye or GTFO

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Question I've asked but never gotten an answer to. Did anything ever come of Jean reaching into Warren's brain and twisting it like a puppet so they would stay and he wouldn't freak out?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

RandallODim posted:

Aside from experimenting on himself a couple of times, I feel like the "Hank McCoy is a gently caress up" thing is really only something from the past 10 years or so. I like his character a lot, but I feel like he's been somewhat mistreated since Endangered Species.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sentinel Red posted:

Terrible Eye or GTFO

I'm with Her!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

irlZaphod posted:

Aside from experimenting on himself a couple of times, I feel like the "Hank McCoy is a gently caress up" thing is really only something from the past 10 years or so. I like his character a lot, but I feel like he's been somewhat mistreated since Endangered Species.

I feel like you get some bits of that in Morrison's run, too. It's been building for a while, it's just that it's usually been tempered with his more laid-back side.

I do really like Hank as just a complete failure of a human being, and I'm kind of disappointed they seem to be pulling back from that post-IvX.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rochallor posted:

I feel like you get some bits of that in Morrison's run, too. It's been building for a while, it's just that it's usually been tempered with his more laid-back side.

I do really like Hank as just a complete failure of a human being, and I'm kind of disappointed they seem to be pulling back from that post-IvX.

The last storyline of Morrison was Hank deciding to take sublime and loving everything up

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Decius posted:

Also, 3 Hank McCoys
It's "Hanks McCoy" as in "it is a universal constant that all Hanks McCoy are monumental fuckups".

Rumda posted:

Dark Beast.

Where's this fuckernaut at? Last I remember he was the totally un-earned mastermind behind a bunch of poo poo in the downhill ski-slope that was Bendis' X-Men.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He died at the end of that storyline.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

That was quite literally the worst Masked Mystery Villain reveal I have ever read in a superhero comic. It couldn't have been more obvious that Bendis lost interest in that storyline midway through and wanted to move onto something else (hardly atypical for him, granted, but this was lazy and slapdash even by those standards).

"Oh, it's that Dark Beast from the Age of Apocalypse." - not a verbatim quote, but close enough to the real thing, IIRC

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

He's still around, so it was just an apparent death.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hanks McCoy would be a good band name.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Diet Poison posted:

Where's this fuckernaut at? Last I remember he was the totally un-earned mastermind behind a bunch of poo poo in the downhill ski-slope that was Bendis' X-Men.

Last seen in an underground lab playing Dr Mengele in New Tian/California in Secret Warriors: Secret Empire.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

RandallODim posted:

The one time I remember him loving up in the Avengers is when he somehow let Patsy Walker brow beat her into letting her go with the team on some adventure that almost got her killed a bunch of times. That arc ended with her becoming Hellcat so I guess he even fell up on that one.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

RandallODim posted:

Depends on your definition of fuckup, but he was on the team when Miss Marvel got kidnapped in that infamous story and was one of the people who just tut-tuted her concerns. Despite being a man of science, he congratulated her on the baby when she was suddenly 9 months pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
What's everyone's feelings on X-men blue? I've been reading it and I've enjoyed it so far, but I decided to check around the general buzz for the series and it seemed a bit negative. Now, I kind of disregarded some of it since some people seem to be pretty sour grapes about Jean Grey being team leader (they keep asking why Cyclops is not leader: guess they forgot he's afraid of repeating the past and becoming future cyclops) and those complaints read to me as bad faith arguments, if you know what I mean.

So, yeah, what does everyone think of the series?

I think angel needs a little bit more screen time. I also like Hank turning wizard since it justifies him while normal Hank is still around. Bobby is a little bit one-dimensional though. They try to have a little depth with him over his boyfriend never calling, but they're not giving enough time to really make that hit the audience. I would be interested in seeing more with him. And Jim needs a lot more screen time because currently he hasn't had a lot of chance to really develop and let the audience know who he is.

Overall, I think it's a good start to a series and I hope it gets better as time goes on.