Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I have tried some of those cables and even with an HDMI repeater, I get signal loss with only 2m/6 feet extensions. It's insanely frustrating. I guess my graphics card just has a terrible output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Not sure I'd want to be in the same room with a Gorn player...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I had a buddy that played college ball do a GORN session and I was scared for my life.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SwissCM posted:

Games from the last 5 years or so have gotten a lot better in this regard but the problem is when scale is inconsistent, FPS environments aren't designed to be viewed from the perspective of an actual human. It's an art asset problem, it can't really be changed without manually editing the size of every object in the game and fixing the myriad of issues that stem from that.

Oh for sure, if you tweak it so the steering wheel is perfect then the world looks off, because like you said it was an art asset perspective issue. But still nice to be able to tweak it to find a happy medium if its a problem in the first place.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Asymmetric multilayer is making me get Gorn sooner rather than later

:same:

But yeah I'd be worried about smacking the other players lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Good news, guys.

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/903303526520168449

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
whoa, how are they tracking her hand?? rolaids got some tech.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Warbird posted:

I had a buddy that played college ball do a GORN session and I was scared for my life.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

whoa, how are they tracking her hand?? rolaids got some tech.

It's from Clickhole a parody site from the Onion.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 31, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Stick100 posted:

It's from Clickhole a parody site from the Onion.

Oh thanks I had no idea. I thought it was serious.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just got Onward.

If you haven't played Onward you are doing yourself a huge disservice. That game is so goddamn good and fun, it's insane. Pavlov is great but Onward is easily the best multiplayer shooter on the market currently for VR. The way the guns feel, the gameplay modes and the way it all takes advantage of the unique ways you can interact with things in VR puts it leagues above everything else.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 31, 2017

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Does onward still stick you in a tent for 10 minutes when you die?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BMan posted:

This is whats keeping me far away from this game. Its bad enough on your monitor, but at least you can alt tab, or look at your other screen and do something else if you really want some hyper 'no spectator mode even' kind of realism thing. In VR making you sit around by yourself all the time is 'avoid at all costs' level of annoying.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 31, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just do it like PUBG where you just leave the game and find a new one.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SwissCM posted:

Games from the last 5 years or so have gotten a lot better in this regard but the problem is when scale is inconsistent, FPS environments aren't designed to be viewed from the perspective of an actual human. It's an art asset problem, it can't really be changed without manually editing the size of every object in the game and fixing the myriad of issues that stem from that.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

BMan posted:

There's a solution to that. Stop dying.

But for realzio duder, there are other people you can talk to, plus rounds are 6 min long tops otherwise timeouts occur.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, at most you're in a tent for 6 minutes, and games rarely to to full time. Enjoy spectator view if you die like an idiot in the first minute continuously by yourself though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You can't argue someone into liking that style of no-respawn gameplay. It doesn't mean it's bad, but it might just not be for them.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I just played through house of the dying sun on the easiest difficulty and that was awesome.

Is there anyway to get more than 3/3/1 fighters/destroyers/frigates in your fleet? Or more than 2 upgrade slots? Only complaint I have is that shields seem pretty mandatory for everything so you're only really have one slot to play with.

Still haven't managed to take down one of those flagships that jump in towards the end of every (?) mission. Will be going through again on the next difficulty soon.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lemming posted:

You can't argue someone into liking that style of no-respawn gameplay. It doesn't mean it's bad, but it might just not be for them.

Thats fair, but changes have been made to mitigate that greatly.

Bad Parenting posted:

I just played through house of the dying sun on the easiest difficulty and that was awesome.

Is there anyway to get more than 3/3/1 fighters/destroyers/frigates in your fleet? Or more than 2 upgrade slots? Only complaint I have is that shields seem pretty mandatory for everything so you're only really have one slot to play with.

Still haven't managed to take down one of those flagships that jump in towards the end of every (?) mission. Will be going through again on the next difficulty soon.

No to everything you said other than the flagship at the end of every mission, especially shields being mandatory. It's actually the worst thing other than the useless betrayer module you can take on a fighter.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
What's everyone's opinion on the Rift Essentials Pack that's on sale now? Like I just recently got my Rift so my game selection isn't huge, and I'm pretty interested in Superhot VR.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Evil Vin posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the Rift Essentials Pack that's on sale now? Like I just recently got my Rift so my game selection isn't huge, and I'm pretty interested in Superhot VR.

Superhot and Raw Data are loving great. Climb is fun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Evil Vin posted:

Superhot and Raw Data are both great, Apollo 11 is probably worth sitting through once if you're into space, its essentially a documentary. I don't know a thing about The Climb

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Evil Vin posted:

Superhot is badly overrated.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Ralith posted:

Superhot is badly overrated.

Will superhot do anything for me if I've already played the hell out of raw data/sairento/h3vr/pavlov? I'm penny pinching in any shooter games at this point unless they're essential

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

pretty soft girl posted:

Will superhot do anything for me if I've already played the hell out of raw data/sairento/h3vr/pavlov? I'm penny pinching in any shooter games at this point unless they're essential

Did you like super hot, non VR?

It's that. Cept imo waaaayyy harder. It's good. Great on sale title, bit of a stretch at full price.

It's good though. I highly doubt it'll disappoint if you liked the first one.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Superhot is less a shooting game and more a... a puzzle game/power fantasy where you solve the puzzles by shooting and feel like the most incredible cinematic badass in the process. It's nothing like the other games you described, imo.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

GlyphGryph posted:

Superhot is less a shooting game and more a... a puzzle game/power fantasy where you solve the puzzles by shooting and feel like the most incredible cinematic badass in the process. It's nothing like the other games you described, imo.

Puzzles with lots of choices and ways to do them. It's definitely something VR owners should own.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Puzzles with lots of choices and ways to do them. It's definitely something VR owners should own.

I whole heartedly agree even though I don't really feel like it has a ton of play through. However, the first play through is awesome and it's a distinctly unique VR experience and one that just about anybody can enjoy.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I played around with NVIDIA Ansel for a little bit over the last couple days. Drag these files into the "Photos" tab of Virtual Desktop.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7aucghmpx57tq3i/The%20Witcher%203%20360-Stereo%202017.08.31%20-%2000.27.36.07.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ih9c0megpz8wy0g/The%20Witcher%203%20360-Stereo%202017.08.31%20-%2021.03.58.11.jpg?dl=0

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I'd say there's a certain choreography and simplicity to Superhot VR that other games don't replicate. You can play it however you want as long as you get the kills.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blattdorf posted:

I'd say there's a certain choreography and simplicity to Superhot VR that other games don't replicate. You can play it however you want as long as you get the kills.

Job Sim and Rick & Morty do the same thing, but yeah, I put Superhot VR more in the same category of like, sandbox gently caress around virtual-space games rather than just a straight shooter.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Superhot is great, only thing it needs are more Endless levels which are the best part of the game.

Just picked up Killing Floor and Mage's Tale for the long weekend, pretty pumped. Along with the Gorn update there's a lot to play.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
We got one of those TPCast wireless transmitters for Vive at the office today. It's loving awesome.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Regarding longer HDMI cables we've used a bunch these and they have worked: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D5EU6E

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pingiivi posted:

Regarding longer HDMI cables we've used a bunch these and they have worked: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D5EU6E

We use those same cables at work to do 4k video demos. Never had a problem with them.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

pretty soft girl posted:

I'll give a contrary opinion. No if you've already played Raw Data, Sairento, H3vr, and Pavlov you can totally skip Super Hot. Those are all excellent shooters, Super Hot isn't really a shooter. It's a puzzle game with some shooting in it. The main play through is pretty cool but if you're already pretty good at VR shooting you're probably only looking at about 2 hours. I haven't gone back since they added the limitless options, but I think good Sairento feels as good as Super Hot. At full price I'd pass.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Stick100 posted:

I'll give a contrary opinion. No if you've already played Raw Data, Sairento, H3vr, and Pavlov you can totally skip Super Hot. Those are all excellent shooters, Super Hot isn't really a shooter. It's a puzzle game with some shooting in it. The main play through is pretty cool but if you're already pretty good at VR shooting you're probably only looking at about 2 hours. I haven't gone back since they added the limitless options, but I think good Sairento feels as good as Super Hot. At full price I'd pass.

for what it's worth I've played through the single player twice (one for harcore one for normal) and I've got more than 10 hours on Endless Mode. you should really give it a try. It's amazingly fun.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

I loved no respawn team matches in aq2, but in aq2 matches were usually 30 seconds long due to everyone being a super pro sniper and strafe jumper. By the time lights camera action voice finished, people were usually already dying. In modern "player is literally an invalid with two left prosthetic legs and sprinting is slower than me walking through town but the maps just keep getting bigger" shooters, it's just bad, honestly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Pingiivi posted:

We got one of those TPCast wireless transmitters for Vive at the office today. It's loving awesome.

You're devs? Where are you located? I thought those still had to pass FCC certs in the US or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

You're devs? Where are you located? I thought those still had to pass FCC certs in the US or something.

They aren't for sale in the US but you can get them through a reshipper. Current cost is around $400. Hopefully they will be for sale although it looks like they are still going to be extremely expensive.

There have been some more reviews if anyone cares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsitYU2oNHs

Still some signficant cons:

Audio degraded
No microphone
The wireless transmitter emits a constant noise
You have to use the included router that is a 100/100 router slowing the internet down on your machine to 100/100 (This can be solved if you have two ethernet jacks on your PC, or if you flash your router to handle TPCast)

It seems like it's still a pretty rough product.

I was really hoping to have purchased one by now. Intel's product might be a better product although I don't have a PCI slot open in my miniITX machine.