Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Solumin posted:

I remember that rumor too. Maybe someone said it in the main Pokémon thread, before this LP started?

I'm sure that's where that misconception started. I was disappointed to find out she wasn't the Pokemon, as that would have been hilariously stupid instead of just predictably bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Don Gato posted:

HGSS was the game that got me back into pokemon after skipping RSE and DPPt, though in hindsight I'm not sure why. Pretty sure it was because having my pokemon following me was and still is the best feature ever. I'm also pretty sure it at least had a lot of quality of life features backported into it? I dont remember being hosed out of Ho-oh if I accidentally killed it, for example.
What I loved about HGSS was that I didn't have to push a button to open a menu to get to the bag, or save, or use a Key Item
It was all laid out neatly on the touch screen for you, along with the glorious option to freely toggle run

Then Gen V came along with a better plotline, but removed the sleek interface and gave you the perplexing menu system and the useless C-Gear alongside an uncontrollable bike

But hey, automatic Repel prompt

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The Golux posted:

Actan is the Actinide series, Lanthan is the Lanthanide series, and Heatran is the Heatrinide series (Atomic Numbers 121-135, no really, I swear).

Given that there are literally zero google hits for "Heatrinide" and the fact that 121-157 are actually called the superactinides, I'm pretty sure whoever told you that was having a laugh.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

None of you seven did your job properly! Why is Tiko even a thing?!
Gonna go out on a limb and say none of them ever encountered him.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They booted it up, went "Yep this sure is pokemon", then hosed off immediately without actually trying to complete the game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The best part of Actan joining, and then immediately leaving, your party, is that you can waste Pokeballs and "catch" it and it will still gently caress off, at least in the version Tie played. He could have used the Master Ball on it and ended up with nothing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They booted it up, went "Yep this sure is pokemon", then hosed off immediately without actually trying to complete the game.

Like Tiko is a random chance of being your opponent for that match correct? Pretty possible the dev just never thought about making all available for testing and they all hit other enemies.

So there's no champion battle? That sucks, champion battles against full teams are so much more fun then fighting your mom with a single goofy legendary.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, so the stasis tank puts you into... well... stasis, so you shouldn't be aware of the natural progression of time, but at the same time stretches your perception of time so that each moment feels like an eternity? And may or may not be the explanation of Theo's sudden aging 10 years? Did they manage to write stasis as the exact opposite of what it typically is?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

rannum posted:

It's fine. I always thought it was a bit stiff and it was weird how it blocked off ANYTHING that wasn't in the original 151 (as mentioned earlier, chansey & golbat refuse to evolve) until you beat the game and did a sidequest to get the national dex.

There's also the fact that some of the Gym Leaders have changed the TMs the give out and have teams that actually use them. Most notable is Brock who gives out Rock Tomb instead of Bide. This, of course, means that cheeseing him with Butterfree's Confusion doesn't work any more unless it can OHKO Brock's team. Charmander does get Iron Claw, so it's not completely defenseless against the first gym.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Randalor posted:

Wait, so the stasis tank puts you into... well... stasis, so you shouldn't be aware of the natural progression of time, but at the same time stretches your perception of time so that each moment feels like an eternity? And may or may not be the explanation of Theo's sudden aging 10 years? Did they manage to write stasis as the exact opposite of what it typically is?
I always thought of it as sleeping. But then, you'd have the properties of sleep which is "time flies". So it'd be the exact opposite. Basically, it's more bad writing that makes no sense.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It reads like they just watched Demolition Man and decided to rip off the whole bit where John Spartan said he was awake while in cryo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Basically Uranium's stasis pods are whatever the story needs to create the most drama and tension, as well as explaining how the player character's mother is the antagonist without it affecting any of their interactions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know if you're going with this why not just have everyone know the antagonist is your mom from the start

like that'd create some interesting tension, maybe. or you could have the reveal be halfway through the game, like darth vader. so the buildup to the final confrontation is - okay yeah its uranium

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Would this game be better or worse if garlikid was the protagonist and evil mom was also a pokemon?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Reminder that for half the game, there wasn't an antagonist.

And there were so many better things it could have been. Urayne going out of control and wrecking power plants because it's hungry & not because someone is telling it to, your intentionally evil mom ruining the region for Reasons(that aren't 'I went mad in a stasis pod'), etc.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mom chooses radioactive lab-born abomination over him.
Dad chooses work over him

Dick Solomon must have some abandonment issues.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Yeah, even his Pokemon are leaving him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

And even with all of those abandonment issues, Dick Solomon is still a Good Human (and a Hero of Tandor, Ranger, Ninja and Hokage) so that says a lot about his morality in contrast with his family.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

you know if you're going with this why not just have everyone know the antagonist is your mom from the start

like that'd create some interesting tension, maybe. or you could have the reveal be halfway through the game, like darth vader. so the buildup to the final confrontation is - okay yeah its uranium

You mean like in Sun and Moon (granted that wasn't the protag's mom)?

Wonder how the Uranium dev feels about how the newest Pokemon game also did a crazy villain mom, just far better and much more enjoyable.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I get the feeling that CURIE actually being the mom wasn't the initial idea. Especially since there was absolutely no foreshadowing about it in the slightest if I remember correctly.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Pyro Jack posted:

I get the feeling that CURIE actually being the mom wasn't the initial idea. Especially since there was absolutely no foreshadowing about it in the slightest if I remember correctly.

The writers probably think that a lack f foreshadowing means this twist is well written rather than insultingly stupid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pyro Jack posted:

The introduction mentions that the protag's mom disappeared under ~mysterious circumstances~, which is the kind of Chekov's Gun that's so blatant that only a very badly-written story would play the reveal completely straight.

Hey-ho, look what happened.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The introduction mentions that the protag's mom disappeared under ~mysterious circumstances~, which is the kind of Chekov's Gun that's so blatant that only a very badly-written story would play the reveal completely straight.

Hey-ho, look what happened.

Cherenkov's Gun. :colbert:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Chekov's Dead Mom

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pyro Jack posted:

According to a dev interview, it was originally planned for Mom to be Really Dead and Cameron to be CURIE, but that plan didn't go very far.

Or so I have read.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Is Cameron Theo's dad, or is (s)he a gym leader? I have so much trouble keeping track of the characters in this game...

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

senrath posted:

Given that there are literally zero google hits for "Heatrinide" and the fact that 121-157 are actually called the superactinides, I'm pretty sure whoever told you that was having a laugh.

I apologize for my sarcasm being too deadpan, but I just made that up since the joke is that they made Lanthan and Actan as part of a trio with the existing Heatran, with a seeming theme to the name endings, and named their two new ones after two actual things with no significant third counterpart.

Commander Keene posted:

Is Cameron Theo's dad, or is (s)he a gym leader? I have so much trouble keeping track of the characters in this game...

Cameron's the other character from the Ranger games, who was there a fat friendly ranger base leader and here is an interpol agent named Stormbringer.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 1, 2017

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Cherenkov's Gun. :colbert:

This deserves appreciation.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Podima posted:

This deserves appreciation.

I appreciate it, it is a finely crafted pun.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
"Oh but her mind broke because of the thingy, so wasn't REALLY her fault"
fuckyoufuckyouFUCKYOUFUCKY-

EDIT: I can't help but try to compare this element of the reveal to a similar one in a better game

Flowey became a sociopath because he was left without a soul. With one, he becomes a lonely little kid named Asriel. But that's fine because:

1. Asriel doesn't stop being a dick after getting a soul. He was willing to put the whole underground into a Groundhog Day Loop just so he can "play" with Frisk a little longer.

2. Flowey's character served more than to be super edgy. In the Genocide route his monologue shows he's supposed to parallel you, the player, and your relationship with the games you play. His motto "kill or be killed" is reflective of the "gently caress you got mine" attitude that Asriel warns you'll run into in the real world.

3. The game doesn't really let Asriel/Flowey off easy for their poo poo*. Even in True Pacifist, Asriel stays in the cave while everyone else gets to leave, eventually turning back into the soulless husk he was before.

* I'l be surprised if the post-game addresses Lucille's crimes in a reasonable way

theGrooseofLegend fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 1, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

theGrooseofLegend posted:

"Oh but her mind broke because of the thingy, so wasn't REALLY her fault"
fuckyoufuckyouFUCKYOUFUCKY-

I mean to be fair, it isn't like she tried to kill anyone we care about.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

According to a dev interview, it was originally planned for Mom to be Really Dead and Cameron to be CURIE, but that plan didn't go very far.

Or so I have read.

It's a sign of a well written story when you can just change the villain on a whim.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

krisslanza posted:

I mean to be fair, it isn't like she tried to kill anyone we care about.
I mean, she tried to kill Hero of Tandor Good Human Ninja Ranger Hokage Dick Solomon, so YMMV. Also, I might have hosed up on the titles because I can't remember which order we got what in.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Uranium is one of those games where I really just kinda wanted to kick whomever was writing it off their word processor and do it myself.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Schubalts posted:

The best part of Actan joining, and then immediately leaving, your party, is that you can waste Pokeballs and "catch" it and it will still gently caress off, at least in the version Tie played. He could have used the Master Ball on it and ended up with nothing.

Oh god holy poo poo how is this even a thing :psyduck:

Pokémon loving Uranium everybody.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Eh, I know I've been critical, but Uranium's still better that FR/LG.

you spelled HG/SS wrong

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The writers probably think that a lack f foreshadowing means this twist is well written rather than insultingly stupid.

It's impressive when you make a story so poorly that it makes Flash season 2 look masterful in comparison.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, she tried to kill Hero of Tandor Good Human Ninja Ranger Hokage Dick Solomon

No one we really care about.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

someone awful. posted:

Why did they rip off Mewtwo's storyline Pokemon and make it stupider?

I mean really, that's the whole mission statement.

I don't know if it's even possible to be edgy without also being tryhard, but amateur game designers attempting to mix it with pokemon is not going to be the proving ground.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Dinictus posted:

Oh god holy poo poo how is this even a thing :psyduck:

Pokémon loving Uranium everybody.

The only good idea behind the Actan fight here is that you can kill it without having to capture it, and still use Actan in the final fight (where, of course, it's a liability). But of course, you wouldn't know that going in blind, so yeah, you can waste a master ball! Uranium!

• Locked thread