Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KaosMachina posted:

What do you think this is, Injustice, or a Marvel Comic?

So how do all the people who actually had money when the kickstarter happened feel about their $8 value pre-order

:sweatdrop:

But tbh it's still the apparent destruction of Andrew's passion that I am more upset about than the possibly wasted money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Backing a Kickstarter should mean only that you want the thing to exist, and not that you expect to get it. There is risk involved. But years ago this was not as widely known.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If we're talking about value-for-money, I saw the Homestuck kickstarter as sort of a proxy payment for Homestuck itself, since during those peak years it was definitely one of my favorite silly passtimes. I think a lot of other people said things to much the same effect, but it was certainly easier to say when Homestuck was on-track and Hussie seemed like an unstoppable force.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I mean, it's kind of ironic you say that since technically the kickstarter being as successful as it was could be argued to have lead to the comic going off track the way it did. At least there has certainly been plenty of comments to that sentiment.

I hope there's a video breakdown afterwards like for Broken Age. I hope it's not like. A decade or something afterwards.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KaosMachina posted:

I mean, it's kind of ironic you say that since technically the kickstarter being as successful as it was could be argued to have lead to the comic going off track the way it did. At least there has certainly been plenty of comments to that sentiment.

Could be argued, or more likely is entirely correct reading of how poo poo went down.

I imagine if Hussie didn't move to a new town to have a hand in developing a game based on Homestuck only to have the door shut in his face and is now out $800,000 and has to develop a game with no experience and a shitton of people who've given him money breathing down his neck, we'd at the very least have a better comic ending than what we got.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Does this mean this thread can die now?

Please.

It's suffering so much.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It can't because the story still isn't over.

We reached the end but it's still not the end.

It's over but it's never over it's over but it's never over

Also Hussie said he's doing something related to it and might as well wait and see what it is what's another 7 years

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
Me and my girlfriend backed the game at I don't remember which tier but I guess the cheapest one that actually got you the game or something...

Four years later we broke up. That was almost a year ago now. We don't really talk to each other anymore. I wonder who'll get custody of the game? We backed with money from the account we shared at the time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Who's got control of the e-mail address you used? That's who'll be sent the code.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that makes sense. I think it was mine.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

just lol if you give random idiots on the internet real money

especially Lowtax

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I don't care about episodes. I was promised a game five years ago. If this isn't another bluff I will soon receive a game. This will conclude my business with the Huss and I will not bother myself with his future endeavors.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dean of Swing posted:

I don't care about episodes. I was promised a game five years ago. If this isn't another bluff I will soon receive a game. This will conclude my business with the Huss and I will not bother myself with his future endeavors.

These past five years were the game. Or don't you remember?

I figured President Trump at least would've tipped you off, that's a Hussie-created-reality move for sure.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sburb could actually work as an augmented reality/Pokemon Go style game

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

just make sburb real and destroy the earth already

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I welcome the sweet embrace of death via meteor

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I call Knight of Hope!

have we done this already I think we've done this already

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Dolash posted:

These past five years were the game. Or don't you remember?

I figured President Trump at least would've tipped you off, that's a Hussie-created-reality move for sure.

this isn't the double juggalo presidency i was promised

i want my national anthem of farts

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Voxx posted:

God, Double Juggalos would be so much better

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
just lol if youve ever posted in this thread and dont think your classpect is "waste of space"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A proper classpect is always a ice cold burn on the person it was given to once you interpret it correctly, anyways

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Voxx posted:

actually juggalos in this timeline are good

https://twitter.com/jesticide/status/897941541221670912

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't think of how some classpect combos could possibly manifest and make sense. Like Witch of Doom for example (actually the same goes for pretty much any active class + Doom).

I got the impression that in many cases the class doesn't affect someone's abilities and only describes their role in the events of the story. Like, Aradia and Dave seem to have pretty much the same powers.

edit: I'd be curious to see a Prince of Life. Presumably that would just involve killing folks. Or I guess "destroying with life" by, I don't know, giving people cancer or something?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 2, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waste makes sense for a lot of them. Waste of Space we've seen. Waste of Time. Waste of Breath. Waste of Life. And so forth.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I got the impression that in many cases the class doesn't affect someone's abilities and only describes their role in the events of the story. Like, Aradia and Dave seem to have pretty much the same powers.

In a deterministic world, your most OP player can (and probably will) be offed by a telestab

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
yall are talkin about your classpects like we're not the losers that would be left behind drinking our own piss

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

yall are talkin about your classpects like we're not the losers that would be left behind drinking our own piss

Oh please, I'd definitely be killed by a meteor before that happened. :smug:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

Gent of Piss is a classpect

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I hope there's a video breakdown afterwards like for Broken Age. I hope it's not like. A decade or something afterwards.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like in any situation where someone without much/any game development experience themselves sets out to make a game and lacks the funding to hire an experienced studio, it's almost always doomed to failure. Like, if the studio fucks up the guy leading/funding the operation isn't equipped to really understand what's wrong and fix things.

Like, doesn't the current Hiveswap studio have zero resume in terms of previous games? Was that also the case with the previous studio?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure a large chunk were brought on from the walkabouts in the comic, which, well, it's not nothing but it's not quite the same scale and also begs the question of why they ever bothered trying to go 3D in the first place.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

What Pumpkin didn't think they'd be heading development of the game. 3D was supposed to save time since 2D animation can be costly. Reusing 3D models across an episodic game series is actually smart, think Telltale

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Telltale games have been perpetually broken and animation hampered due to the unbelievable crunch time the studio is constantly under from working on three or four different games at once all the time. You can see every new game they release has obvious seams and the animation jumps between passable and broken at a moments notice. They are a very, very poor example to follow.

BTW Telltale has released eight full series since the Hiveswap kickstarter was funded and has three series currently in progress right now. See, if you don't care about quality you can release quite a lot in a very short time!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Telltale games have been perpetually broken and animation hampered due to the unbelievable crunch time the studio is constantly under from working on three or four different games at once all the time. You can see every new game they release has obvious seams and the animation jumps between passable and broken at a moments notice. They are a very, very poor example to follow.

BTW Telltale has released eight full series since the Hiveswap kickstarter was funded and has three series currently in progress right now. See, if you don't care about quality you can release quite a lot in a very short time!

Yeah but they released Tales From The Borderlands, one of their two good works, in that time so you can at least do one good thing during that time.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Honestly people are willing to forgive a whole hell of a lot on the technical side for a story-driven game that's funny and well-written. Despite the various disasters and missteps it's a little baffling that they struggled so hard to put together even a basic, short game like we're probably getting - build the barest-bones skeleton of a 2D point-and-click adventure game engine and fill it up with art, music and writing, and that should do. I mean the walkaround flashes might've been basic and smaller in scope but they were already pretty content-rich for what they were, and it's hard to understand being able to slap those together quickly on no budget then completely flub scaling up.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the press kit seemed to have the right writing tone, but i dont know if i can trust the twitter guy with something full length. I just want to read hussie writing funnies more he was pretty good at that

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dolash posted:

Honestly people are willing to forgive a whole hell of a lot on the technical side for a story-driven game that's funny and well-written. Despite the various disasters and missteps it's a little baffling that they struggled so hard to put together even a basic, short game like we're probably getting - build the barest-bones skeleton of a 2D point-and-click adventure game engine and fill it up with art, music and writing, and that should do. I mean the walkaround flashes might've been basic and smaller in scope but they were already pretty content-rich for what they were, and it's hard to understand being able to slap those together quickly on no budget then completely flub scaling up.

Yeah, see, if Hussie had just taken the crew that made the walkabouts and just made another one, only larger, then they might have managed to actually release a decent game before Homestuck ended. Basically like Undertale only a little larger in scope.

Instead they tried to turn to professionals, who robbed them, then tried to make a 3D adventure game from scratch with no 3D experience, which needed to be scrapped at some point for some reason, and so it's taken years just to even realize that they should stick to the styles they have experience in.

For all we know the final game only had a 18 month dev cycle, with most of that time being learning how to use their tools and making sure they actually have the blueprint for a good game worth making.

(and naturally, that blueprint has been rewritten from Hussie's original idea to whatever the twitter dude thought was "better")

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

:sweatdrop:

But tbh it's still the apparent destruction of Andrew's passion that I am more upset about than the possibly wasted money.

yeah :(

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
sometimes i wonder what was worse, having to deal with the gargantuan success that was homestuck or, if its true, being conned out of a million dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yeah, see, if Hussie had just taken the crew that made the walkabouts and just made another one, only larger, then they might have managed to actually release a decent game before Homestuck ended. Basically like Undertale only a little larger in scope.

Lmao it never clicked with me before that this entire Kickstarter was essentially for a walkaround

No wonder they went all out and likely way out of scope for what they wanted the project to be, they were probably going to make something way simpler initially and were flabbergasted by how much money people started throwing at them