Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Colin Mockery posted:

I don't see why you feel the need to be a huge douchebag with the "he/she/it" garbage, though.

Subjunctive posted:

TB and I obviously aren't the best of friends, but misgendering and de-personing her is some bullshit. You can give your mod guidance in a way that's not demeaning.

I don't know anything about that poster's identity, so does that not cover everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Moneyball posted:

I don't know anything about that poster's identity

Poster is a dinosaur. A small one of indeterminate breed. Hope that helps.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

Poster is a dinosaur. A small one of indeterminate breed. Hope that helps.
Fueled by anger. Bred by hate.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Moneyball posted:

I don't know anything about that poster's identity, so does that not cover everything?

to help you avoid repeating this embarrassing gaffe, you can refer to me in the third person as xhorse in the future thanks

p.s. like "zors", not "x-horse"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Moneyball posted:

"it" is never ok.

Generally if you don't know someone's gender they/them works well.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

"it" is never ok.

The robot renaissance is going to play hell with our pronouns, I tell you what.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

silicone thrills posted:

"it" is never ok.

I also hate clowns.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

"it" is never ok.

3rd person singular they was good enough for Shakespeare, so it works for me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

The robot renaissance is going to play hell with our pronouns, I tell you what.

90% of all robots are going to be for sex, so it’ll probably be easier than you think.

Those poor loving robots. The ones that make over 100k a year will be rich loving robots.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Zo posted:

to help you avoid repeating this embarrassing gaffe, you can refer to me in the third person as xhorse in the future thanks

p.s. like "zors", not "x-horse"

X-horse is better though. A horse designed for cross country racing. As opposed to whatever other equestrian events there are.

Or perhaps sort X-TREME HORSE PLAY. The X games of equestrian. I am sure ESPN 12 will pick it up. Riding horses off of cliffs with a parachute, only to make their 3 point landing on an anthill. Hang gliding with horses. Parasailing with a horse pulling you. Bungee horse. This ain't your grandpa's rodeo!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

3rd person singular they was good enough for Shakespeare, so it works for me.

The OED (I think) finally included singular they as a valid use of the word in the past year or two. I was happy.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Those poor loving robots. The ones that make over 100k a year will be rich loving robots.

I laughed.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Reported for selfposting :colbert:

:v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moneyball posted:

"It" is just being an rear end in a top hat and you know it; the point is decency not completeness. Say "they" or "he/she" like everyone else does if they (!) don't know someone's gender.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Subjunctive posted:

"It" is just being an rear end in a top hat and you know it; the point is decency not completeness. Say "they" or "he/she" like everyone else does if they (!) don't know someone's gender.

Thanks goodness we have you to fill in for TB until her/his/its/their/xhim/xher/xther return.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Tb's posts are better than a bunch of idiots whining about tb posts tbh

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

therobit posted:

X-horse is better though. A horse designed for cross country racing. As opposed to whatever other equestrian events there are.

Or perhaps sort X-TREME HORSE PLAY. The X games of equestrian. I am sure ESPN 12 will pick it up. Riding horses off of cliffs with a parachute, only to make their 3 point landing on an anthill. Hang gliding with horses. Parasailing with a horse pulling you. Bungee horse. This ain't your grandpa's rodeo!
Speaking of, somebody find me a story about the BWM aspects of rodeos. Including, but not limited to, getting your spine crushed because riding an andgry bovine/equine is a sport somehow.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

90% of all robots are going to be for sex, so it’ll probably be easier than you think.

In 100 years C3P0 is going to look like robot blackface, calling it now

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This never would have happened if that dude wasn't BWC: bad with chromosomes.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Who's ready for bitcoin loans?!

https://venturebeat.com/2017/08/31/y-combinator-startup-dharma-promises-to-bring-users-into-blockchain-apps/

I'm not sure if it's the company or the clients who are BWM in this situation. Probably both, this isn't going to work out well for anyone.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Solice Kirsk posted:

This never would have happened if that dude wasn't BWC: bad with chromosomes.
I don't get that story. Why did the adult try to kick the little kid in the first place? Kid wasn't doing anything wrong.

As in, are you implying that he has Downs and was set off by the little kid singing as he bounced along the store? Or what?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My student loan servicer hosed up my repayment plan switch (again), so I got frustrated and hit up Reddit to see if anyone else was having similar issues. Got off on a bit of a tangent:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StudentLoans/comments/6w86i8/how_bad_can_physician_debt_really_get/

"How bad can physician debt really get?"

quote:

I know a veterinarian with ~400K in debt. She will NEVER pay that back on a stingy vet salary. Horrifying.

That's pretty bad...but we can do better.

quote:

I'm at $450k with interest. And during residency I make an astonishing $52k every year!

Goddamn! Well they're a doctor so, it'll probably work out in the end?

quote:

I know someone with 800k

Holy gently caress, HOW

quote:

Iirc much of it was capped interest

:stare:

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
There definitely people in my class (M2) around the half-mil mark right now. I'm dreading actually having to start paying for this poo poo next year when my GI bill runs out. If you were BWL enough to join the military, the Post 9-11 and Yellow Ribbon are insanely GWM.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

John Smith posted:

I don't get that story. Why did the adult try to kick the little kid in the first place? Kid wasn't doing anything wrong.

As in, are you implying that he has Downs and was set off by the little kid singing as he bounced along the store? Or what?

The man who assaulted the kid is mentally challenged. It's an old video, if I recall correctly the father got in trouble for punching the first man.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Instead of talking about Trump at Thanksgiving this year, I think I’ll just show my family that punching gif and ask for their opinions.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Motronic posted:

Probably because this is exactly the kind of thing that triggers TB (and it's coming from someone who can stomp her again), and she has the tendency to get on people's nerves in between the few actual good posts she makes.

I also like to make potentially bigoted statements when met with mild annoyance

Seriously though not a great excuse and that was pretty lame yall, plus it's not like tb is often wrong, she just mad

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FrozenVent posted:

The man who assaulted the kid is mentally challenged. It's an old video, if I recall correctly the father got in trouble for punching the first man.
Ok, thanks. Then guess it is just a unfortunate situation all around then.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
What's the point of banning TB if we're just going to spend the entire time talking about TB?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

captkirk posted:

What's the point of banning TB if we're just going to spend the entire time talking about TB?

The 478th probation is the charm.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hoodwinker posted:

Speaking of, somebody find me a story about the BWM aspects of rodeos. Including, but not limited to, getting your spine crushed because riding an andgry bovine/equine is a sport somehow.

I knew a dude who used to compete in team roping. That's the one where you have two teammates on their own horses that chase down a running steer and one ropes the horns and the other ropes the back legs.
So he's traveling to a competition. The way it typically goes is he has to drive a humungous pickup truck and haul a horse trailer and his horse. The really fancy horse trailers will have sleeping quarters for the humans attached, they start at about $30k and get up to $$$$$$. Knowing this guy, his truck plus trailer probably cost $150k.
And he's also hauling all the feed and saddle stuff too. Competition saddles are also expensive, and the cheap ones are still several thousand dollars.
Now he's at the competition, and he's paying his $500 entry fee. This is covering a place for his horse to sleep and hang out when not competing.
He was actually quite good at it, and placed highly in his division. So he'd often win $2-3k in prize money. On average, as a guy winning the top prize every 2 or 3 rodeos, he'd be breaking even on fuel/travel/consumables/entry fees.
His horse was also really valuable, and his family bred horses as a side business (which they could afford to do because they were multimillionaire real estate developers). As a hobby for the landed gentry, it was a fun one for him.

I know another dude who used to compete in team roping, but he was doing it all the cheap way and wasn't very good at it and never won competitions. He still spent thousands of his own money to try though!

Contrast that to the bull riders, who just show up with their clothes, a sleeping bag, and their own rope/harness/whatever. They'd roll in with 5 of them jammed into a Geo Metro, pay their $50 entry fee and try their luck.
It was also significantly more dangerous, but that's XCOM baby

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Moneyball posted:

you forgot mayonnaise and apache helicopter

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

captkirk posted:

Look, just because we've gotten better at handling TB doesn't mean we should ignore it. TB takes 1.8 million lives every year.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

you forgot mayonnaise and apache helicopter

Guys responding to "maybe don't call a human being an 'it'" with a bunch of jokes about ~those wacky trans people's stupid identities~ is real lovely

I wasn't even going to say anything the first time but then like three more posts happened, c'mon

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yeah I thought ironic ignorance/bigotry was mostly relegated to gbs

go away, trashies

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
My BWM story is about a bunch of guys who spent a lot of money on gaming PCs and then only use their high-end processors and graphic cards to render single window of Chrome in which they post about posting.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Randler posted:

My BWM story is about a bunch of guys who spent a lot of money on gaming PCs and then only use their high-end processors and graphic cards to render single window of Chrome in which they post about posting.

Talking about yourself is still against thread rules

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

team roping

At first I thought this meant the cracker game or something like that

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

Talking about yourself is still against thread rules

It's ok, I think his profile picture is a derail bird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Dillbag posted:

At first I thought this meant the cracker game or something like that

Right there with you.