Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The Blue Caboose posted:

Widow scope time nerf was reverted.

no it wasn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

i dont think they've ever reverted a single nerf

even if a hero gets nerfed to unusability they just try to find wierd dumb ways to alternatively buff the hero instead

RIP forever Doomfist.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Minrad posted:

no it wasn't

In the Jun 14 patch they made it so that Widow couldn't start scoping back in before her scope out animation ended but in Oct 11 they reduced her scope in animation time to .33s instead of .5s, which, I think, was what I was thinking about.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Oh my gosh ffa deathmatch is a blast. So much fun, and since it's solo people don't get salty if you feel like messing around or play silly characters or play badly. Everyone seems much more chill. Came 3rd in a match as Reinhardt where I purposefully didn't attack and instead protected a mercy player, who realised quickly and used my shield to her advantage. Won a later match as Rein when I was not playing so nice.

On another occasion a doomfist fired off his ult, the Reinhardt who was attacking me stopped to put his shield up and saved us both. Though I suspect he didn't do it for me.

On the flip side the one team deathmatch I played to get the loot box had an enemy widow telling me I was ruining the match and to go play quick play or comp because I was playing a healer. They lost.

It's so great you guys.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd appreciate it if they reverted the cooldown on the hook tho

I'd rather have a total rework at this point. Make his primaries deal knockback, change his ult to a hook instakill, and make Whole Hog an ability that uses your mag for 1-4 *klink*s. Give him something, anything to do since they've literally said he shouldn't do the thing the tooltips ingame tell you to do.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Fabricated posted:

Junkrat seems kinda unfair almost for deathmatch. I also kept getting hosed up by the lack of deathcam and how fast you respawn in deathmatch

In FFA at least, as far as I know, there's a deathcam if you don't spam Space to get back into the fight.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Did my comp matches, 8-2, 40 SR higher than last season. 8 wins, 6 of those in a row for 40SR

:11tea:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I have now seen the light and I'm a Junkrat main, please give me pro-tips and tricks on how to use this Australian beast more effectively

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

frajaq posted:

I have now seen the light and I'm a Junkrat main, please give me pro-tips and tricks on how to use this Australian beast more effectively

Call everyone a drongo oval office or a seppie oval office if they're Americans

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

hmm looks like the newest update broke something. Overwatch forces Windowed mode despite me selecting Full Screen in the menu, hitting alt-enter, and editing the setting.int file.

Have an Nvidia card and a custom resolution set and recently update the driver? Delete the custom res and re-create it. I have to do that every time a new driver comes out or I get that behavior.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Had someone drop from a placement match. Which was a bummer. 6-4 win/loss.

1531SR. Which is pretty much where I settled in Season 5 after scoring 1681SR.

A little bummed. Since I thought every placement match was pretty strong showing.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm loving terrible at FFA (also aiming (also FPS games))

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

OhFunny posted:

Had someone drop from a placement match. Which was a bummer. 6-4 win/loss.

1531SR. Which is pretty much where I settled in Season 5 after scoring 1681SR.

A little bummed. Since I thought every placement match was pretty strong showing.

I had someone drop from pure unadulterated rage as he accused the enemy widow of hacking. I commented that "If you get that tilted from 1 headshot, the widow has won the entire game." and he called me all kinds of fun words before quitting.

The next game I was informed the enemy team had a hacker, which was confirmed by the players on that team. So that was fun. We beat the team because I play Winston and I shoved my hairy monkey fist so far up his hacking Widowmaker rear end I could have used him like a blue, french puppet. :getin:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I had someone drop from pure unadulterated rage as he accused the enemy widow of hacking. I commented that "If you get that tilted from 1 headshot, the widow has won the entire game." and he called me all kinds of fun words before quitting.

The next game I was informed the enemy team had a hacker, which was confirmed by the players on that team. So that was fun. We beat the team because I play Winston and I shoved my hairy monkey fist so far up his hacking Widowmaker rear end I could have used him like a blue, french puppet. :getin:

I had someone like that. Only instead of raging they had already sunk into a deep fatalism and made nonstop comments about the inevitably of our defeat (we won the match). I said to him, "if you go into a match expecting to lose then you've already lost."

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

OhFunny posted:

I said to him, "if you go into a match expecting to lose then you've already lost."

YE HAVE ALREADY LOST THE BATTLE OF THE MIND, WHAT HOPE HAVE YE FOR THE BATTLE OF ...ROUTE 66

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

frajaq posted:

Practice bouncing shots off walls so you can stay in cover. Throw out mines constantly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Call everyone a drongo oval office or a seppie oval office if they're Americans

seppie? ya mean seppo ya fuckwit?? :australia:

actual JR tips:

Practice + Learn where to bounce your shots. You should always know where to shoot to bother enemies in checkpoints.

Understand how far RIP Tyre can actually go, it's actually worth firing up the practice level for this.

Try not to over-extend and chase too much when you're starting out. A change in location can really up-end how JR performs, particularly if you're after a more agile hero.

well why not fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 1, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I still think they need to change Hogs Take a Breather from a heal to a shield, much like Doomfist. That means he can overheal to a ridiculous amount, he doesn't feed on the overheal, and he doesn't conflict with his healers. I'd also change the spread on his gun, tightening M1 so you can consistently headshot a hooked character, while M2 instead goes out to it's usual 10m but instead explodes in a radius with double the number of pellets. Increase magazine size to 6 as well so his overall damage output is higher vs shields, and drop hook cooldown to 4-6s.

As for his ult, instead of it being channeled make it transform his gun and give him a max ammo counter, allowing him to interrupt it at will. M1 is the usual automatic spray, M2 dumps like half of it into some poor fucker.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes let's make roadhog into an unkillable murder machine that can also delete other tanks with his ult

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Xarbala posted:

Yes let's make roadhog into an unkillable murder machine that can also delete other tanks with his ult

I agree, revert the roadhog nerfs.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Make Hog's RMB shoot Junkrats.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I still say make it so he can't take body shots. Only headshots and things that can't crit will hurt him. That would make for interesting gameplay and maybe make him less of a feeder.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Make Roadhog's ult a stinky cloud poison gas attack where he gets a lucio-type aura that slows down the enemy team or purple-stuffs them or dramatically increases cooldown time.

Right now Whole Hog just feels like the de facto worst ult in the game except for Pharah because it does the opposite of his kit. I think giving him a gas cloud ult that the team can use to deny or zone, would be helpful.

Winston's ult is GOOD for tanking because it has extreme mobility and you can punish bad positioning easily, Whole Hog is just trivial to avoid and you can't really push your team forward with it if the enemy team just scatters around it and then dives your healers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like whole hog. Pop it into a dragonblade, force the genji to deflect, face the ground and laugh because he can't do poo poo anymore.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think FFA has any matchmaking because the average skill level seems to be pretty low. I'm a 3000 player and place 2nd or 3rd nearly every match but almost never first.

Also some players are just clearly bottom of the barrel. I faced a hanzo the other day and at the end of the match asked 'hanzo are you even a human' and got some lols, but then later felt bad because the dude was so bad he might have been literally disabled.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

I don't think FFA has any matchmaking because the average skill level seems to be pretty low. I'm a 3000 player and place 2nd or 3rd nearly every match but almost never first.

Also some players are just clearly bottom of the barrel. I faced a hanzo the other day and at the end of the match asked 'hanzo are you even a human' and got some lols, but then later felt bad because the dude was so bad he might have been literally disabled.

I think it does, actually. It just tends to be really streaky because FFA doesn't re-instance as often as other game modes. I can get matched into a server and get five or more top 3 finishes in a row against the same loose group of people before it kicks me out to find a new match and then it drops me in McCree Hell against much higher ranks. Then after getting kicked around there for another half dozen losses my next match is a lot easier. Eventually I got bored with tryharding and started alternating between serious/joke characters and now that I'm winning closer to 50% of the time the play level I get matched against is a lot more consistent.

I've only played about 4 hours so this could all just be a big coincidence but it definitely seems to be making an effort.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah if you queued people into games one at a time like a coin sorter it would take for ever. I bet it just throws you at the most convenient one that has an average MMR closer to yours.

So maybe one game is forming with an average of 2000 and another has an average of 2500, the GM goes in the 2500 after 30 seconds of deliberation. Or if the 2000 just needs 1 person to get going, he might get nudged into that one.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

dogstile posted:

I like whole hog. Pop it into a dragonblade, force the genji to deflect, face the ground and laugh because he can't do poo poo anymore.

except then he just cancels the deflect and goes and kills your healers anyways?

I like whole hog as a big ole barrier busting initiator, but it's basically just a bad version of EMP for that. You need to get pocketed through it, but especially against Reinhardt you take his barrier out of the fight and likely kill him to boot. Same for Winston or Orisa.

You'll probably die though during the last two seconds where you've killed the primary target and everyone has walked away from you and is shooting your slow rear end.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

Also some players are just clearly bottom of the barrel.

That's me, I'm that guy. Some of us are just inept.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

The Blue Caboose posted:

except then he just cancels the deflect and goes and kills your healers anyways?

He can only cancel it with swift strike or casting dragonblade, so you can just point at the floor and then point back at him and if he cancelled deflect, he'll go flying away.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Montalvo posted:

That's me, I'm that guy. Some of us are just inept.

You weren`t as bad as this guy. I literally wasn`t sure he was not a very bad bot. This dude stood still to aim. Like for 5 seconds plus. In deathmatch.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

so now that comp is back, roadhog is even more of a liability than he was pre patch. he uses take a breather more often so the enemy team six man ults you even more than they did before. its awful.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

his heal gives less ult than before and he's better able to get away from damage while using it so idk where you get this from. I don't think they changed the cooldown on it either so he's not using it more often like you say

whether it's enough to make him good is a different question, but he is unequivocally better than last patch

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

before you had to get out of line of sight and spend time moving away to a safe spot to use it. now you can virtually use it on cooldown so he ends up doing more self healing. seriously, how many times did you see healing taken cards for roadhog at any point before now and post patch...

since he's still harmless and just tickles enemy heroes (feeding enemy healers) and does nothing but soak unmitigated damage from everyone else (yeah he takes 50% during breather, he still takes unmitigated damage at some point with his 600 health pool), he STILL just exists to funnel ults into the enemy team. the difference pre patch and post patch is that he lives longer while still doing nothing and heals more while doing nothing, so he feeds even more instead of just being a defense matrix or a shield projecting hero.

if they're hellbent on making taking damage good, they need to buff his ult so he gets something valuable in trade off for giving the enemy team a bunch of ults too, or give him a passive like "Thick skinned: this hero generates 50% less ultimate charge from damage taken"

Minera fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 1, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Mercy change can't come fast enough. A Mercy ult just deleting a good push is the worst feeling thing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Minrad posted:

before you had to get out of line of sight and spend time moving away to a safe spot to use it. now you can virtually use it on cooldown so he ends up doing more self healing. seriously, how many times did you see healing taken cards for roadhog at any point before now and post patch...

since he's still harmless and just tickles enemy heroes (feeding enemy healers) and does nothing but soak unmitigated damage from everyone else (yeah he takes 50% during breather, he still takes unmitigated damage at some point with his 600 health pool), he STILL just exists to funnel ults into the enemy team. the difference pre patch and post patch is that he lives longer while still doing nothing and heals more while doing nothing, so he feeds even more instead of just being a defense matrix or a shield projecting hero.

if they're hellbent on making taking damage good, they need to buff his ult so he gets something valuable in trade off for giving the enemy team a bunch of ults too, or give him a passive like "Thick skinned: this hero generates 50% less ultimate charge from damage taken"

This is more or less what I predicted when they decided to give Hog this particular makeover. Yeah he lives longer now, but that doesn't matter unless he's having an impact on the game while he's alive and he isn't anymore because they hosed up and won't admit it.

The immediate problem I see with your suggested passive is that while it makes the ult trade-off slightly better in Hog's favor it disincentivizes people from shooting Hog himself. That's questionably okay for the Roadhog (you actually want to take some damage so you can feed your supports ult and charge your own) but in practice what it means is people will go "ignore Hog, kill the squishies," and since Hog has no way to actually tank for his team he won't be able to do anything to stop it unless the other team obligingly let's him interpose his body between their guns and your backline. And Hog still won't do more than trash damage while he's being ignored.

Blizzard can tap dance around it all they want but a tank that doesn't pose a serious threat to people who ignore them is a bad tank, until they actually give Hog some bite back he's gonna stay bad.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is it just me or does Winston feel like he needs an alt fire?

Or at least give him an alt fire when he activates Primal Rage so he can do that goddamn punch he uses to put Doomfist down in that animation.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If we're pitching hog improvement ideas, I think he should get a slight increase in health or speed after each kill as part of his ultimate. It'd make him a bit more unpredictable and dangerous, which I feel fits the character and play style.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Is it just me or does Winston feel like he needs an alt fire?

Or at least give him an alt fire when he activates Primal Rage so he can do that goddamn punch he uses to put Doomfist down in that animation.

it's just you, winston's crazy good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The key to having a fun time as Winston is to never be the only guy to be attacking an enemy.