Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

air- posted:

Warning everyone, please don't watch Disjointed. It's just Big Bang Theory, except stoners. I thought the opening gag was just a joke, but the laugh track didn't end :barf: I had to shut it off after 5 mins.

I like how they're treating the show as if it's this new edgy sitcom. When in reality no one gives a gently caress about weed. Let alone legal weed. It's just loving weed. Call me when there is a sitcom about people selling opiates to bored teens and their moms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I mean we live in the world where Weeds had like 12 seasons.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don't see how someone could think Death Note was't anime-ey enough, it's basically a cartoon

all the acting is over the top like anime characters and poo poo act too

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The_Rob posted:

I like how they're treating the show as if it's this new edgy sitcom. When in reality no one gives a gently caress about weed. Let alone legal weed. It's just loving weed. Call me when there is a sitcom about people selling opiates to bored teens and their moms.

https://youtu.be/vS5uI3a916o

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

A MIRACLE posted:

I don't see how someone could think Death Note was't anime-ey enough, it's basically a cartoon

all the acting is over the top like anime characters and poo poo act too

I'd say his introduction to the death god was a pretty normal reaction

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Stan Against Evil is on Hulu. The campiness of Army of Darkness, but with Dr. Cox from Scrubs.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Are there any Karl Pilkington shows that Netflix does not have? I've seen Idiot Abroad and Moaning of Life a bunch and am wondering if there's other stuff I'm missing because it's not on netflix.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I mean we live in the world where Weeds had like 12 seasons.

Showtime will let any series run for...ever?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sock The Great posted:

Showtime will let any series run for...ever?

Not Penny Dreadful :(

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

Are there any Karl Pilkington shows that Netflix does not have? I've seen Idiot Abroad and Moaning of Life a bunch and am wondering if there's other stuff I'm missing because it's not on netflix.

There's the Ricky Gervais Show on HBO.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I used to put stuff like Psych, Murder She Wrote, and Columbo up on my second monitor while doing other things, but all three aren't on Netflix anymore (along with the first half of Poirot, which is also a bummer). What are some good mystery shows like those on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Office

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Everything coming to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/HBO in September

I'm so excited for the new season of BoJack Horseman. That's literally the only thing I want to watch right now.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I forget if I posted in this thread as well, but Suspiria's on Prime.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

10 Beers posted:

Stan Against Evil is on Hulu. The campiness of Army of Darkness, but with Dr. Cox from Scrubs.

The first episode was ... very ... cheap-feeling. I almost gave up.

The second episode was a bit better.

The third episode seems to have gained some traction, and they nailed the ending. I'll keep watching for a bit.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

rngd in the womb posted:

Everything coming to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/HBO in September

I'm so excited for the new season of BoJack Horseman. That's literally the only thing I want to watch right now.

Completely agreed, although it looks like Netflix has a nice selection of movies coming in as well.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

e:wrong thread

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Haha, what the loving hell is: FINAL FANTASY XIV Dad of Light, season 1

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Haha, what the loving hell is: FINAL FANTASY XIV Dad of Light, season 1

Some native advertising Japanese show about the power of the FF MMO to create Father-Son Bonds. It's apparently called Daddy of Light over there

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

morestuff posted:

Some native advertising Japanese show about the power of the FF MMO to create Father-Son Bonds. It's apparently called Daddy of Light over there

Holy poo poo :laffo:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

No part of this post is a joke.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I for one am unironically excited to watch family bonding over video games while I wait for more Terrace House to arrive.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

morestuff posted:

I'm not sure what's weirder; the premise, or that no one on the localization team thought that maybe "Father of Light" sounded less stupid.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Paper Kaiju posted:

I'm not sure what's weirder; the premise, or that no one on the localization team thought that maybe "Father of Light" sounded less stupid.

Yeah, but that doesn't quite convey the gross incest vibe they were going for.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't quite convey the gross incest vibe they were going for.

Father of Light probably sounded a little too... religious compared to "Dad of Light," which makes it more obvious that it's a show about the protagonist and his dad bonding over FF.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Father of Light probably sounded a little too... religious compared to "Dad of Light," which makes it more obvious that it's a show about the protagonist and his dad bonding over FF.

That's...actually a really good point.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The first episode was ... very ... cheap-feeling. I almost gave up.

The second episode was a bit better.

The third episode seems to have gained some traction, and they nailed the ending. I'll keep watching for a bit.

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, it's not the best, but I had fun with it. And it's only 8 episodes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

everyone watch Baskets if you havent yet. its on hulu

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

everyone watch Baskets if you havent yet. its on hulu

A thousand million times yes.

Still need to finish season 2 of that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

you will not be disappointed. nice av btw

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't think you're getting it. It is literally created by the same guy who did Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men. If you can tolerate those, then sure. I personally can't tolerate them enough to even have on in the background, so I won't be checking out Disjointed, despite my love of Kathy Bates.

Chuck Lorre productions are doubtlessly part of the reason Donald Trump is president of these united states

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The first ten minutes of Comrade Detective have so many A+ little touches and throw away lines that I'm probably going to marathon this whole thing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

is it a translation or did they just make poo poo up to match the blocking? reminds me of mindhorn a little bit

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

10 Beers posted:

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, it's not the best, but I had fun with it. And it's only 8 episodes.

I finished it, and it pretty much steadily improved. I'll definitely watch the next season.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't think you're getting it. It is literally created by the same guy who did Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men. If you can tolerate those, then sure. I personally can't tolerate them enough to even have on in the background, so I won't be checking out Disjointed, despite my love of Kathy Bates.

Oh. Hm.

Hm.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

Chuck Lorre productions are doubtlessly part of the reason Donald Trump is president of these united states

Chuck Lorre at least knows what his shows are and doesn't pretend otherwise. Jenji Kohan shows are the real terror.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I watched the first episode of Disjointed, and boy was that bad. I thought people were over exaggerating (like they did with Santa Clarita Diet, while not great, wasn't that bad), but no it is really network sitcom bad. I didn't laugh once, and the only interesting parts were the 'fake commercials', and even those were not that great. You know I can tolerate Big Band Theory as a background show while I do something else, but this was fingernails down the chalk board bad.

In better news I finally watched The Expanse (season 1 on Amazon Prime). I read the original trilogy back when it was released, but I had no interested in watching Syfy mess it up. That said it was good enough that we actually purchased season 2 after we finished season 1, and my wife loved it (the only other science fiction show she loved was the BSG reboot). Warning some of the acting can be so bad at times that it is distracting. The actress that plays Chrisjen Avasarala comes across like she is acting in a play. It is like she is over-emoting for a live audience. Also the guy playing Holden is not that great either. Still the other actors are mostly pretty good, and the story is great. I will be watching season 3.

drunken officeparty posted:

Chuck Lorre at least knows what his shows are and doesn't pretend otherwise. Jenji Kohan shows are the real terror.

But Kohan has actually made some good TV seasons (season 1 of Weeds, half of the seasons of OITNB, and GLOW so far), which is something Lorre has never done.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of The Expanse, Killjoys popped up on Netflix recently (I think, perhaps I just haven't noticed it before), and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. It's no high television by any means and quite schlocky at times, but it's reliably entertaining and hits that industrial sci-fi spot just right.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

nate fisher posted:

Big Band Theory

I never knew I wanted this show until right now. A Mad Men-esque prestige drama about not-Glenn Miller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

nate fisher posted:

I watched the first episode of Disjointed, and boy was that bad. I thought people were over exaggerating (like they did with Santa Clarita Diet, while not great, wasn't that bad), but no it is really network sitcom bad. I didn't laugh once, and the only interesting parts were the 'fake commercials', and even those were not that great. You know I can tolerate Big Band Theory as a background show while I do something else, but this was fingernails down the chalk board bad.

:same: x 10000. The most entertaining part for me was my roommate drooling over the weed.

I usually give new shows a second episode, but drat I don't have the fortitude for this one.