Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Action Jacktion posted:

It was weird watching Dalek Invasion of Earth and seeing Mr. Rumbold as a post-apocalyptic freedom fighter.

THE OLD-ER DALEK SU-PREME DOES NOT GET OUT AS MUCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've just reached the point in The Saint where he started writing scripts for them. They are the dictionary definition of "run of the mill The Saint episodes" with an addendum of "I'm just here for Roger Moore, anyway". Most of the ITC shows you just watch for the lead being charismatic. It's Moore in The Saint, Wyngarde in Department S and Jason King etc. I have The Champions dvd sitting unwatched and I'll be interested to see who it is for them.

I bet there's an alternate universe where the BBC decided not to commission Doctor Who so they took it to ITC instead and the Doctors are all played by the protagonists of the ITC shows (the First Doctor: Roger Moore! the Second Doctor: Patrick McGoohan! the Third Doctor: Peter Wyngarde! the episodes: often boring!).
Wasn't Wyngarde considered for the Third Doctor? (He made it onto Who in 'Planet of Fire', and apparently was almost as big a diva as he was on Department S and Jason King.)

Sorry to disappoint you about The Champions, but while William Gaunt is indeed the best thing about it, it's not a high bar. It's another ITC show with a good basic premise that they pissed away by handing scripting duties to their usual squad of hacks (not in the good sense this time).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Wasn't Wyngarde considered for the Third Doctor? (He made it onto Who in 'Planet of Fire', and apparently was almost as big a diva as he was on Department S and Jason King.)

I don't think there's ever been any indication that he was considered (he went straight into Jason King after Department S finished and I doubt the BBC in 1970 would've been able to pay as well as I imagine Lew Grade could); it's more of a "That would've been great :allears:" for me.

Which ITC show do you think holds up the best?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think there's ever been any indication that he was considered (he went straight into Jason King after Department S finished and I doubt the BBC in 1970 would've been able to pay as well as I imagine Lew Grade could); it's more of a "That would've been great :allears:" for me.

Which ITC show do you think holds up the best?
I love Department S, for all its flaws and lovely Philip Broadley episodes (largely because of Wyngarde, but it does have some genuinely good stories); The Prisoner is obviously in a class of its own; and if you count the Gerry Anderson stuff there's UFO and Space: 1999, the latter of which has stood the test of time better despite now being set in the past. But most ITC shows, while not plumbing the dismal depths of The Adventurer, are just kind of there. In hindsight, they're literally filler television - something that fills an hour's slot with easy-on-the-eye actors and occasional bursts of sanitised violence, with no need to think about or even particularly pay attention to what's happening.

drat, that sounds cynical. And I used to love these kinds of shows because they were easy escapism. :smith:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't realise The Prisoner was ITC. I thought it was the one McGoohan wanted to do but Grade wasn't interested in so he took it somewhere else. Obviously I'm mistaken.

Of course Department S has that one really, really good episode where Anthony Hopkins - right near the start of his screen career - is the guest star. Peter Wyngarde as the Third Doctor opposite Anthony Hopkins as the Master would've been something to see.

None of them hold a candle to The Avengers which is obviously what they all wanted to be.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 31, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
*checks thread excitedly* oh boy oh boy is it next season yet

no?

gently caress

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't realise The Prisoner was ITC. I thought it was the one McGoohan wanted to do but Grade wasn't interested in so he took it somewhere else. Obviously I'm mistaken.

Of course Department S has that one really, really good episode where Anthony Hopkins - right near the start of his screen career - is the guest star. Peter Wyngarde as the Third Doctor opposite Anthony Hopkins as the Master would've been something to see.

None of them hold a candle to The Avengers which is obviously what they all wanted to be.
The Prisoner got made pretty much because after Danger Man, Lew Grade would have given Patrick McGoohan the freedom and money to do anything he wanted, even crapping in a hat and televising it.

Ironically, The Avengers wasn't an ITC show even though everyone thinks it was (and ITC wished it had been).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

The Prisoner got made pretty much because after Danger Man, Lew Grade would have given Patrick McGoohan the freedom and money to do anything he wanted, even crapping in a hat and televising it.

It always cracks me up that McGoohan was one of the guys Albert Broccoli really wanted to play James Bond when Sean Connery quit, but said no because James Bond was "too promiscuous" for his liking. I know McGoohan was a devout Catholic and everything, but still... "Too promiscuous". I don't know. It makes me smile.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

*checks thread excitedly* oh boy oh boy is it next season yet

no?

gently caress

This is the Doctor Who thread, man. It's only next season like four months out of every two years. :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

This is the Doctor Who thread, man. It's only next season like four months out of every two years. :v:

I JUST WANT THE EXPLOITS OF A LADY DOCTOR IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK :mad

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

I JUST WANT THE EXPLOITS OF A LADY DOCTOR IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK :mad

Well, *pushing down one of the digits of the monkey's paw,* let me tell you about this story from Big Finish's Unbound line...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Well, *pushing down one of the digits of the monkey's paw,* let me tell you about this story from Big Finish's Unbound line...

oh no what have I done

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
That wasn't the worst story Big Finish has done...but I think it was my least favorite of the Unbound line.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Chokes McGee posted:

oh no what have I done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-pyWQSAbC8

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wheat Loaf posted:

It always cracks me up that McGoohan was one of the guys Albert Broccoli really wanted to play James Bond when Sean Connery quit, but said no because James Bond was "too promiscuous" for his liking. I know McGoohan was a devout Catholic and everything, but still... "Too promiscuous". I don't know. It makes me smile.

There was a great joke Roger Moore told once about back when he was on The Saint. He claimed a friend of him asked if he, Sean Connery and Patrick McGoohan ever got together for a night on the town. Moore assured him they did. "Pussy Galore?" asked the friend. "Well we don't go looking for it..." replied Moore.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

jivjov posted:

That wasn't the worst story Big Finish has done...but I think it was my least favorite of the Unbound line.

Pretty sure the worst is between Nekromanteia and Creed of the Kromon, but yeah, that one's in the top ten at least.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I thought the worst was supposed to be between The Stones Of Venice and Loups-Garoux...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nekromanteia is utter dogshit. I normally say people should listen to stuff and come to their own conclusions, but in this case I can only recommend that people avoid it at all costs.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Stones of Venice is just boring, the two I listed are just nasty pieces of poo poo.

Loups Garoux was fine, I thought. Unremarkable but not terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Loups-Garoux" nor "Stones of Venice" are at worst unremarkable. Neither of them ends - as "Nekromanteia" does - with a character who at least attempts to rape one of the Doctor's companions getting the happiest ending. Nasty, nasty story.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Pretty sure the worst is between Nekromanteia and Creed of the Kromon, but yeah, that one's in the top ten at least.

I think Nekromanteia is probably the worst, but Creed definitely gives it a run for its money. I'd put that one Unbound story as third worst, if we're not counting Iris Wildthyme.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Nekro is bad because it's "I AM GOING TO WRITE GRIM AND EDGY DOCTOR WHO" bad, and everyone in it is hateful. Creed is bad because it's Philip Martin's skeevy body horror wank fantasy. The one thing it has going for it is he didn't put loving Sil in it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There's also Minuet In Hell, but that's just bad in the "how the gently caress did this even get made" sense rather than being actively unpleasant like Nekromanteia and Creed.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Minuet in Hell is a trainwreck, but it's almost worth listening to for the hilariously long sequence of obvious padding in which the Brig reads his notes aloud as he types them, obviously looking very slowly for each key on his typewriter.It's unintentionally funny a lot of the time, even if it's badly created in terms of accomplishing its goals as a story.

Exile and (most of) Iris Wildthyme have a very different problem: they're trying to be funny, and they are trying so hard that they punctuate every joke by winking at the audience, playing a rimshot, and then saying the joke again, just to make sure that you heard it. Then they make that same joke, again, just as loudly and with just as much fanfare. Most of the jokes in Exile are people burping and vomiting and they guzzle beer, because apparently Nick Briggs has absolutely no concept of what drinking alcohol or being drunk is like, so it's probably worse than most of Wildthyme, because at least Katy Manning can pull off "perpetually sloshed and being weird about hitting on everyone," even if the writing is obnoxious about reminding us every second about who she is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Minuet is hilarious on many levels. I mean yeah, it's BAD, but it's Neil Breen bad. Someone's tried to make a fun Doctor Who story and it's hampered by both being badly written and set in America, and no one in the production sounds even vaguely american. Even the canadian guy doesn't sound close.

Also, it's just occurred to me that Kromon and Nekro are both so bad they caused me to forget all of Joe Lidster's poo poo garbage for idiots.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Minuet is hilarious on many levels. I mean yeah, it's BAD, but it's Neil Breen bad. Someone's tried to make a fun Doctor Who story and it's hampered by both being badly written and set in America, and no one in the production sounds even vaguely american. Even the canadian guy doesn't sound close.

Also, it's just occurred to me that Kromon and Nekro are both so bad they caused me to forget all of Joe Lidster's poo poo garbage for idiots.

Yeah, Minuet is kind of the platonic ideal of "so bad it's good" among Doctor Who media.

Lidster's stuff frustrates me because he's very nearly capable of telling a good story and then he fucks it all up with a SHOCK HORROR reveal of something immensely stupid and unpleasant.

(I kinda liked his Tegan and Five story, though)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

Yeah, Minuet is kind of the platonic ideal of "so bad it's good" among Doctor Who media.

Lidster's stuff frustrates me because he's very nearly capable of telling a good story and then he fucks it all up with a SHOCK HORROR reveal of something immensely stupid and unpleasant.

(I kinda liked his Tegan and Five story, though)

The Rapture is poo poo but it's early on so I can just about forgive it, Master is poo poo and does the stupid "shock reveal that never affects anything again ever" trick, Terror Firma is awful and does it again, The Reaping and The Gathering I've never heard, and his contribution to 100 was mean spirited nasty poo poo.

I've heard people say that outside of Who he's better, but I've no interest in finding out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Minuet" has Foghorn Leghorn as a supporting character. It's like The Room of Big Finish. It also has the bit at the end where Foghorn Leghorn's spinster assistant (?) rants about how envious she is of younger women "with their small butts!" which sounds like it actually is a line from The Room.

I thought "Master" was actually pretty good right up until the patented Joe Lidster angsty twist at the end. I think, on the whole, it's maybe slightly better than "Omega". ("Davros" is obviously leaps and bounds better than both of them from that trilogy.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

("Davros" is obviously leaps and bounds better than both of them from that trilogy.)

The opening monologue to Davros is one of my favorite things Big Finish has ever done.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Minuet" has Foghorn Leghorn as a supporting character. It's like The Room of Big Finish. It also has the bit at the end where Foghorn Leghorn's spinster assistant (?) rants about how envious she is of younger women "with their small butts!" which sounds like it actually is a line from The Room.

I thought "Master" was actually pretty good right up until the patented Joe Lidster angsty twist at the end. I think, on the whole, it's maybe slightly better than "Omega". ("Davros" is obviously leaps and bounds better than both of them from that trilogy.)

Nah, because Master decided it needed to tell the definitive story of the Doctor and the Master's childhood friendship, which everyone else had been smart enough to only ever touch on lightly. Even before the dumb twist it was bad. And the last two parts are just endless yelling. Omega does similar revisionism but at least it's part of Big Finish's overarching "Rassilon was a total fuckhole" thing.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

FreezingInferno posted:

I thought the worst was supposed to be between The Stones Of Venice and Loups-Garoux...

No one seems to have picked up that Minuet in Hell is the release which is between The Stones of Venice and Loups-Garoux.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

Minuet in Hell is a trainwreck, but it's almost worth listening to for the hilariously long sequence of obvious padding in which the Brig reads his notes aloud as he types them, obviously looking very slowly for each key on his typewriter.It's unintentionally funny a lot of the time, even if it's badly created in terms of accomplishing its goals as a story.

Exile and (most of) Iris Wildthyme have a very different problem: they're trying to be funny, and they are trying so hard that they punctuate every joke by winking at the audience, playing a rimshot, and then saying the joke again, just to make sure that you heard it. Then they make that same joke, again, just as loudly and with just as much fanfare. Most of the jokes in Exile are people burping and vomiting and they guzzle beer, because apparently Nick Briggs has absolutely no concept of what drinking alcohol or being drunk is like, so it's probably worse than most of Wildthyme, because at least Katy Manning can pull off "perpetually sloshed and being weird about hitting on everyone," even if the writing is obnoxious about reminding us every second about who she is.

are there actually good iris wildthyme stories? i find that hard to believe

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

There's a scorchies one with her I like.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

There's a Companion Chronicles story with her and Jo in which Jo has been convinced that she made up the Doctor and Iris comes to help her out. That one is decent.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

The Wormery is pretty good as well.

Also, just finished listening to the Haunting of Thomas Brewster, and cannot get the awful incidental music out of my head. Cheers Big FInish.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Sorry to disappoint you about The Champions, but while William Gaunt is indeed the best thing about it, it's not a high bar. It's another ITC show with a good basic premise that they pissed away by handing scripting duties to their usual squad of hacks (not in the good sense this time).

Oh, man, I just put this in and the main menu screen plays the loving music Chris Evans uses on his morning show aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BSam posted:

No one seems to have picked up that Minuet in Hell is the release which is between The Stones of Venice and Loups-Garoux.

Yeah, I was waiting for a :thejoke: that never came. I've been at work dealing with crises, so couldn't add one myself.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, man, I just put this in and the main menu screen plays the loving music Chris Evans uses on his morning show aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

WhT did he use for TFI Friday? I remember the Captain Scarlet sting and the theme for Man in a Suitcase.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

WhT did he use for TFI Friday? I remember the Captain Scarlet sting and the theme for Man in a Suitcase.

I think TFI Friday was just Man In a Suitcase.

Here is the Champions theme. I am never going to be able to hear that opening trill without imagining a bespectacled ginger gurning about his listeners sending in their "smug alerts" first thing in the morning.

Nobody ever uses the best TV theme of the 70s.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth hasn't really aged well. It feels like it was probably exciting because of Daleks being filmed actually on location in London, but it tries to recapture a lot of the magic of The Daleks. There are things about it I love, like the Doctor just saying "I think we should pit our wits against theirs and defeat them," like that's a whole plan, out of the side of his mouth, and of course his speech at the end to Susan is wonderful. It's also a turning point for the character, because it's presented as purely selfless. Overall, though, it's just too long, the Robomen don't really work for me, and I'm not extremely interested in the rebels.

I respectfully disagree; I think the story has a great deal of scope, and in particular unlike later alien invasion stories it doesn't have the survivors neatly split into rebels and collaborators.

• Locked thread