Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Pichelli is a great artist but it's not like Bagley is terrible. You might want to get used to him though, he does more than 100 issues of the series. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stuart Immonen takes over somewhere in the low hundreds, so stay with it! Pichelli is the best artist on the book though, imo.

(I also don't like Bagley that much, but I think he does fine when Spidey's in the suit and he's not drawing faces)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Argue posted:

Also, please don't confuse it with the OTHER Ultimate Spider-man comic, which is the comics adaptation of the cartoon, Ultimate Spider-man, which has nothing to do with the *actual* Ultimate Spider-man comic.

I happen to have already written a reading order for most of Ultimate Spider-man (there are more past this, but there's really only one comic to keep up with after that so it's easier to keep track of), so enjoy.

That read order skips out on Ultimate Six, which is pretty much a Spider-Man story. I have a more comprehensive read order I'll post later when I get home.

EDIT: Ah, here it is from another post I made a while back

quote:

Peter Parker

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-45
Ultimate Spider-Man #½
Ultimate Spider-Man 46-53
Ultimate Six
Ultimate Spider-Man 54-85
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 1
Ultimate Spider-Man 86-105
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 2
Ultimate Spider-Man 106-120
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 3
Ultimate Spider-Man 121-133
Ultimate Spider-Man Requiem 1-2
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (v1) 1-15
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 150-160
Ultimate Fallout 1-6

Miles Morales

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 1-28 (don't forget #16.1)
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 200
Spider-Men 1-5
Miles Morales The Ultimate Spider-Man 1-12

That's with no crossover/event stuff added

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 27, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ultimate Team-Up is, as noted, largely out of continuity (assume it's not in continuity unless specifically referenced somewhere, which I don't think accounts for a whole lot), but there's some fun stories in there if it's available on Marvel Unlimited or whatever.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I have got to read all of this. I feel so behind! (the thread, not EVERY comic).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

rogue wave posted:

I have got to read all of this. I feel so behind! (the thread, not EVERY comic).
It's 100 pages long, you might be better just saying what you like and asking for recommendations.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

It's 100 pages long, you might be better just saying what you like and asking for recommendations.

I will absolutely do that. Thanks for the advice.

I typed this up for the Image thread, but I'll use it here too:

quote:

I can't believe Invincible is finishing up for good. It's so close to the end now. I absolutely loving love everything about it. This final Viltrumite war is off the chain. I pretty much only read Image comics + Antman's more recent runs since a few years ago and Rick and Morty. I'm behind on Chew and Walking Dead but getting caught up. I loved Y The Last Man and Ex Machina. I loved Alex and Ada. I enjoy Sex Criminals, Manifest Destiny, Invincible Universe (obv), Tech Jacket (will there ever be more?), Brit, Saga (loving loooove), East of West(behind), Copperhead, Paper Girls, They're Not Like Us, Thief of Thieves (behind), Prophet (behind), Nowhere Men (so sloooow in publishing, amirite?), and I think that's about it or all I can remember for now. Anyone have any recommendations on poo poo I clearly should be reading but have let slip through the cracks? I don't know if my tastes have a clear correlation or of it comes off as eclectic or hodgepodge or whatever. I could really use some Best Tiger spinoff poo poo if that was available. I went nuts for what IU gave us as a side taste. Should I try getting into Savage Dragon at all? I've never really talked comics with anyone before, but if anyone wants to talk about these with me or has advice for me in any way, shape or form, hit me up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Things you'd probably like:
Deadly Class
Head Lopper
Manhattan Projects
Shaolin Cowboy

I'd check out Bitch Planet and Motor Crush.

Edit: Probably like Tokyo Ghost, too. And Glory.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 3, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I straight up forgot about Manhattan Projects in my list. Good call. I adore it!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

rogue wave posted:

I will absolutely do that. Thanks for the advice.

I typed this up for the Image thread, but I'll use it here too:

Have you read ODY-C? Because I think you might really like it.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I have not, but I will definitely scope it out. Thank you for the suggestion.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished my regular reread of Punisher MAX, is there anything in that level, Punisher or otherwise, I should follow up with?

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Just finished my regular reread of Punisher MAX, is there anything in that level, Punisher or otherwise, I should follow up with?

Fury: My War Gone By it's one of the best things Ennis has ever written. You should definitely check that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Taintrunner posted:

Now when you say Punisher Max, do you mean the MAX run of Punisher, or Jason Aaron's Punisher MAX, or both?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

Now when you say Punisher Max, do you mean the MAX run of Punisher, or Jason Aaron's Punisher MAX, or both?

The MAX run of Punisher, I haven't checked out Aaron's Punisher MAX

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Taintrunner posted:

The MAX run of Punisher, I haven't checked out Aaron's Punisher MAX

Then that should be next on your list. Not only is it a direct sequel to Ennis' run, it's really loving great and has some of the best Punisher moments of all time.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Opinions on the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans? That siren song of the omnibus is calling for me but I'm trying to scale back a bit.

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/NEW-TEEN-TITANS-OMNIBUS-HC-VOL-01-NEW-EDITION/MAR170425

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really like it, but your 70's/80's comics taste may vary.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's really aged, even harder than Claremont's X-Men stuff did.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Roth posted:

It's really aged, even harder than Claremont's X-Men stuff did.

In what way? One thing that drives me nuts about Claremont's X-Men is the insane wordiness in each panel; Man-Thing, Tomb of Dracula, Howard the Duck, etc are a bit wordy but old UXM is a bit much. But the HEY HEY I'M SHOUTING HERE NOW FOR TERRIBLE DECISION MAKING doesn't bother me.

Or is it something else? I've never really enjoyed any of LoSH due to the "age", it just leaves me cold. Like that? Something else? In this Omnibus, will a Teen Titan die?!?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I had always wanted to read LoSH for some unknown reason. I picked up the two volumes of Waid's run and really enjoyed it. I'd like to read more sometime but no idea what's good.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

hadji murad posted:

I had always wanted to read LoSH for some unknown reason. I picked up the two volumes of Waid's run and really enjoyed it. I'd like to read more sometime but no idea what's good.

The Paul Levitz/Steve Lightle/Keith Giffen years are the best Legion stuff, this includes the Great Darkness Saga and the Five Years Later Legion among other things.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I am a fan of Spiderman, Jaimie Reyes Blue Beetle, and Kamla Khan Ms. Marvel. I like stories that are lighter in nature and have an emphasis on family and/or friends with an upbeat message.

Tone-wise, think The Spectacular Spiderman TV show (R.I.P.) and the start of Kamal Khan Ms. Marvel (G. Willow Wilson) for examples.

As a caveat, I'm looking for something that isn't bogged down in continuity and shared universes. It doesn't have to be indie, but I'm tired of events and having to read 50 Series to understand one storyline.

If anyone can be so helpful, does anyone know any good series that are similar to those and fit that description?

Edit: Also, it would best if there was no mature content. Might give it to my nephew if its good. He likes comics.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 30, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lumberjanes, Gotham Academy (DCU, but not terrifically tied into anything) Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (ditto for Marvel,) Bandette, Mech Cadet Yu, Slam.

I haven't tried it, but Backstagers probably fits, and any number of other Boom! series.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zachack posted:

In what way? One thing that drives me nuts about Claremont's X-Men is the insane wordiness in each panel; Man-Thing, Tomb of Dracula, Howard the Duck, etc are a bit wordy but old UXM is a bit much. But the HEY HEY I'M SHOUTING HERE NOW FOR TERRIBLE DECISION MAKING doesn't bother me.

Or is it something else? I've never really enjoyed any of LoSH due to the "age", it just leaves me cold. Like that? Something else? In this Omnibus, will a Teen Titan die?!?

It's written as a soap opera like Uncanny X-Men, but I think it ends up not working as well. The main thing that turns me off is that there's an uncomfortable amount of rape involved in the series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zoro posted:

I am a fan of Spiderman, Jaimie Reyes Blue Beetle, and Kamla Khan Ms. Marvel. I like stories that are lighter in nature and have an emphasis on family and/or friends with an upbeat message.

Tone-wise, think The Spectacular Spiderman TV show (R.I.P.) and the start of Kamal Khan Ms. Marvel (G. Willow Wilson) for examples.

As a caveat, I'm looking for something that isn't bogged down in continuity and shared universes. It doesn't have to be indie, but I'm tired of events and having to read 50 Series to understand one storyline.

If anyone can be so helpful, does anyone know any good series that are similar to those and fit that description?

Edit: Also, it would best if there was no mature content. Might give it to my nephew if its good. He likes comics.

Gillen's Journey into Mystery and Young Avengers. I don't think those are too continuity heavy. The first one Loki gets turned into a cool teen and the other teen Loki joins a team of cool teens (with spectacular James McKelvie art). When I read it I hadn't heard of a bunch of the characters but that didn't hamper me at all.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zoro posted:

The most recent Nova and Hawkeye runs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Runaways!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Runaways!

Oh yeah for sure.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. They're very helpful.

Edit: Mecha Cadet Yu was fun. Good first issue.

Edit: Just read the first volume of the 2013 run of Nova. That I assume is the most recent. That was a good first story and I like the character so far.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 31, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Zoro posted:

Try Valiant High.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

While Valiant High is great, I think part of what makes it great is the in-joke of knowing how those characters normally act in regular books. Otherwise really to anyone not familiar it's just kind of an Archie riff without the recognizable characters.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Cam Stewart/Babs Tarr/Brenden Fletcher Batgirl run is pretty great too, and would probably be right up your alley based on other things you like. Again, it's not too continuity heavy really, and has a strong focus on college kids doing college kid things.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zoro posted:

Have you read Bone?

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
How was this run on Harley Quinn? https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401276423/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SyySzbHEYNKEY

I need some lighter fun in the Bat-world, and just can't get into a run written by Amanda Conner that has some vastly inferior schmuck on art...

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Jordan7hm posted:

Have you read Bone?

No, but I am aware of it. Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. I do have an old book lying around of it. Might give it a shot.

Lightning Lord posted:

Try Valiant High.

X-O posted:

While Valiant High is great, I think part of what makes it great is the in-joke of knowing how those characters normally act in regular books. Otherwise really to anyone not familiar it's just kind of an Archie riff without the recognizable characters.

I've read X-O Manowar for the first few volumes, if that matters. As well as a little bit of Faith.

Also, just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. They have been some fun reads so far!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I dunno if this is the right place to post this because there isn't really a thread on it, but I just started reading Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge comics from the 1940s and holy crap they're good. I'm sad that it took me so long to read these and I never did as a kid. These are stories about cartoon ducks that are over 70 years old and somehow they are still funny and relevant today. I think Carl Barks might have been ahead of his time, because aside from a few things that are kind of dated, often times these feel strangely modern.

You know how people always say how Scrooge swimming around in his money was dumb and diving into it would break his neck because it would be like diving into concrete? Well, Carl Barks realized this from day one and plays it for laughs way before things like Family Guy did. Scrooge welcomes the Beagle Boys to try it and they all get concussions. Apparently, Scrooge doesn't really swim through is money and it's some kind of trick, although how he does it is left a mystery and isn't even really all that important.

I haven't even finished Fantagraphics' "Only a Poor Man" collection yet and I'm hooked on these.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One of the promos for the new DuckTales has Louie trying to do it and Scrooge stops him for the same reason.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Well, according to Don Rosa, Scrooge has superpowers, so that probably has something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

IIRC, after the story where Scrooge gets the news about his mom and crushes a steamboat while fighting some crooks, Europeans were miffed that their beloved Scrooge apparently had super-strength like American superheroes. In a follow-up story, though, Scrooge is asked about it and says "Huh? No, I just slipped out of my chains and fought them normally." The crooks might've just perceived Scrooge as being super-powered...