Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Invincible also popped into the Marvel Universe for an issue of...Marvel Team-Up, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Endless Mike posted:

Invincible also popped into the Marvel Universe for an issue of...Marvel Team-Up, I think?

Those are never canon.

Anyhoo, it sounds like it's pretty much self-contained so it's not going to be one of those series where you end a book and it has a reading order for books from 5 series you don't read so you can actually understand the story. I hate Events.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Covok posted:

Those are never canon.

Anyhoo, it sounds like it's pretty much self-contained so it's not going to be one of those series where you end a book and it has a reading order for books from 5 series you don't read so you can actually understand the story. I hate Events.

No, it's absolutely canon to Invincible's run. It's not essential reading perhaps, but it happens on panel in Invincible as well as in MTU.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

X-O posted:

No, it's absolutely canon to Invincible's run. It's not essential reading perhaps, but it happens on panel in Invincible as well as in MTU.

Really? That's the first time I've heard of a cross-company comic team-up actually fitting into the established plotlines of either story. Usually they're morel like when Batman and Spiderman teamed-up to stop the Joker/Carnage team: totally non-canon, but fun.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dimensional Shenanigans were going on in canon Invincible at the time, which was how they fit MTU into the storyline.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Covok posted:

Really? That's the first time I've heard of a cross-company comic team-up actually fitting into the established plotlines of either story. Usually they're morel like when Batman and Spiderman teamed-up to stop the Joker/Carnage team: totally non-canon, but fun.

Yes, as said above trans-dimensional travel was a plot point in how it happened. The MTU book literally happens in between panels of an issue of Invincible where he goes into a portal and then comes out. To see what happened while he was in the portal you have to read that issue of MTU. So again, not required reading but it's definitely canon to the series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hopefully people are still reading Stray Bullets.
This Sunshine and Roses storyline is taking forever, but just catching up on a few issues now, it's going really bonkers.
Being close to a stroke victim myself, the latest developments strike a nerve, but if there's any series to feel conflicted about being entertained by, it's this one.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

X-O posted:

Yes, as said above trans-dimensional travel was a plot point in how it happened. The MTU book literally happens in between panels of an issue of Invincible where he goes into a portal and then comes out. To see what happened while he was in the portal you have to read that issue of MTU. So again, not required reading but it's definitely canon to the series.

Does that include the Tick crossover too?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scaramouche posted:

Does that include the Tick crossover too?

That was probably after I'd already dropped Invincible for turning into a gore show.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

That was probably after I'd already dropped Invincible for turning into a gore show.

I feel like that happened during the big reveal.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

I feel like that happened during the big reveal.

I mean it was bad for a while, but it ramped up pretty steadily for pretty much the entire time I read it. By the time it got to the story I was talking about with Angstrom Levy it was moving into the territory where it was getting to be too much.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I actually feel like there was a bit later on that calmed down.

I'm pretty conflicted about the series because I don't really like the violence and they let a lot of interesting plots kind of die on the vine, but I'm looking forward to it ending so that I can take it in in its entirety.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You'll probably hate the ending if you dont like gore.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
The way that Image crossovers work is that basically each book is its own universe, but versions of characters from other books may exist in that universe. So while Dragon might appear in Invincible, that does not (necessarily) affect events in Savage Dragon the book, and vice versa. Invincible had a number of crossovers, including issue 60, which had literally dozens of Image characters appearing in it. Likewise, Savage Dragon had a streak of crossovers as well, where Dragon teamed up with Madman and the Amazing Joy Buzzards and others. [edit: There are, like you said, books that exist in the same universe as Invincible, like Brit, Astounding Wolf-Man, Capes, and Guarding the Globe.]

The Invincible/Spider-Man crossover is definitely canon for Invincible and technically for Spider-Man, since it happened in a Marvel Universe book. It happened somewhere in the 30s of Invincible's run iirc.

I do not believe that the Tick crossover was ever mentioned anywhere on panel in Invincible, but it and the Madman crossover are both definitely canon for the Tick.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hopefully people are still reading Stray Bullets.
This Sunshine and Roses storyline is taking forever, but just catching up on a few issues now, it's going really bonkers.
Being close to a stroke victim myself, the latest developments strike a nerve, but if there's any series to feel conflicted about being entertained by, it's this one.

I buy them as they come out but I started waiting to read them in one go...oh maybe 10 issues ago. I love SB to death but yeah this arc is long.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Covok posted:

All Judge Dredd crossovers are canon. And it's a matter of record that Stormwatch was wiped out by an infestation of Aliens on Skywatch!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also the Justice League / Avengers crossover left the JLA an egg that did something later. vOv

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't there some issue of The Walking Dead that had a joke ending where it crossed over with Invincible and TWD fans started freaking out assuming that it was now going to become a superhero comic?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
All crossovers are canon unless a creator specifically says otherwise. I'm not sure where anyone would get the idea that the reverse is true.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I remember it being a whole goofy issue, so I dunno if it was fooling anyone.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The old crossover between Witchblade and a bunch of Marvel characters, Unholy Union, was canon for Witchblade, as it's the first time Dani ever met Jackie. She mentions it later during the "First Born" story.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't there some issue of The Walking Dead that had a joke ending where it crossed over with Invincible and TWD fans started freaking out assuming that it was now going to become a superhero comic?

Yup, it started out completely normal but then dead characters came back as cyborgs, Rick got a bazooka hand or something, Aliens arrived, it went nuts.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

BioTech posted:

Yup, it started out completely normal but then dead characters came back as cyborgs, Rick got a bazooka hand or something, Aliens arrived, it went nuts.

What issue was this? I have the compendiums and don't remember that at all.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Fly Ricky posted:

What issue was this? I have the compendiums and don't remember that at all.

It was a bonus ending in issue 75
Thing is it didn't say it was a special ending or anything, the story just went that way without any warning.
Artwork was a bit of a giveaway, though.
Found some pages via GIS on Ebaumsworld (that place still exists?)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Oddly enough, the events of Superman/Aliens were actually canon for Superman for the longest time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Whatever happened with Ether?

#5 didn't seem like a real ending, but it's no longer solicited. I don't follow creators or anything and a quick google doesn't tell me anything. I assume cancelled due to low sales?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jordan7hm posted:

Whatever happened with Ether?

#5 didn't seem like a real ending, but it's no longer solicited. I don't follow creators or anything and a quick google doesn't tell me anything. I assume cancelled due to low sales?

Coincidentally, Matt Kindt just retweeted this photo two days ago:

So not cancelled I guess!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Ether, huh. How is it? I just finished volume 4 of Mind MGMT last night. How that hasn't been adapted into a TV show yet I'll never know.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Diet Poison posted:

Ether, huh. How is it? I just finished volume 4 of Mind MGMT last night. How that hasn't been adapted into a TV show yet I'll never know.

I really liked it. Weird art, weird dimension travelling story.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've never even heard of Ether, but I read all of Mind MGMT last year and absolutely loved it. The art took some getting used to, but it does seem tailor-made for an excellent TV adaptation.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've never even heard of Ether, but I read all of Mind MGMT last year and absolutely loved it. The art took some getting used to, but it does seem tailor-made for an excellent TV adaptation.

I love Mind MGMT but even in the wake of Legion I can't really see how Mind MGMT would work on TV without losing the aggressive reader interaction with the paneling, and while the core story is good it's also a bit light to make an entire series out of.

Like if it was a TV show it would need to be a series of commercials. Or embedded within a PBS fundraising drive, where the fundraiser elements also, somehow, conveyed the same effect as the MGMT manual.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Would anyone here be interested in buying portions of my comic collection? From about Aug 2016 to Jun 2017 I bought many first print Cover A of every series that BEGAN within that time frame from Image and other indie publishers.

Here's an incomplete list of them, from whenever I last updated my spreadsheet:

4 Kids Walk Into A Bar
Belfry, The
Black Monday Murders
Britannia
Cannibal
Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye
Curse Words
Demonic
Doom Patrol
Dregs, The
Eclipse
Ether
Extremity
Few, The
Frostbite
Galaxy of Brutality
Glitterbomb
God Country
Grass Kings
Green Valley
Hadrian's Wall
Horizon
Kill or Be Killed
Lake of Fire
Loose Ends
Mayday
Monstress
Moonshine
Mother Panic
Motor Crush
Motro
Namesake
Old Guard, The
Paper Girls
Praxis
Reborn
Rockstars
Romulus
Royal City
Seven to Eternity
Shade the Changing Girl
Shipwreck
Snotgirl
Sun Bakery
Surgeon X
Underwinter
Violent Love

I basically had to switch to just buying paperbacks of series I actually liked since my money situation had to be re-arranged. For a period I just had a bit of a surplus so I bought everything because I liked just the.. physicality of collecting them and going to the comic book store every week.

I'll make an SA Mart post if there's interest.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'd be interested in Black Monday Murders #4 if you have it, and whatever Sun Bakeries you have.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Is there any reason to read Spawn these days? I followed it 'til around #100 before drifting away from comics altogether and I'm feeling a little nostalgic.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

just another posted:

Is there any reason to read Spawn these days? I followed it 'til around #100 before drifting away from comics altogether and I'm feeling a little nostalgic.
I don't read it myself, but I have it on good authority that the answer to your question is "No. No reason whatsoever. None."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loving WODEN

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uber: Oh Maria :allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I posted about it earlier in the thread, but Elsewhere is great. Read it people.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

Uber: Oh Maria :allears:

I'm worried about her. it might turn out she knows exactly what's happening as she's a clearly not generally stupid, but maybe she is unhinged enough to not anticipate. Also like her I thought the breadth of her transmutation powers was an effect of her specific power set but apparently not. Does that mean the two Nazi battleships can fix themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well it seems to be a reaction to extreme duress, or at least it's one of the ways there.

Definitely bugfuck crazy though. As for reshaping biology, I think only Siegmund has approached that level of control, and not regenerating lost parts. It only happened again because they know its something Maria did and she was so keen on recreating her original conditions.