Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The message is "NFL players are thugs" and I'm about 75% sure that tomorrow's drunky duck will tie that into a complaint about NFL players not standing for the anthem.

The message is kind of undermined by the player depicted being white but that's the colorist's fault for not picking up on the dog whistle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/donniemnemonic/status/903385389871710208

not a politoon but it may as well be Kelly with a hypnotized looking kid with Some Gizmo

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Panty Saluter posted:

not a politoon but it may as well be Kelly with a hypnotized looking kid with Some Gizmo

You gotta post this to the lovely graphs thread.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The thing I hate about that garbage Tinsley comic is that his punchline is "Football Player Beats His Girlfriend" which is yet another case of a conservative comedy writer punching down.

All of them, every loving one, has no concept of what actually makes a joke work. It's always just picking on someone with less power or privilege than them.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Neodoomium posted:

While I'm sure no Australians in this thread are happy to see Tony Abbott at all, ever, I am sure glad to see Pope's hilarious depiction of him again.

bonus:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Who is that politician and why in the world is he drawn like that?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Tumbleweed Abbott is the best but I can't find the Popetoon offhand...

E: vvv you rule

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 1, 2017

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Tardigrade posted:

Tumbleweed Abbott is the best but I can't find the Popetoon offhand...

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Ularg posted:

That's Tony Abbott, former Prime Minister of Australia and occasional Smuggler of Budgies.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Good Grief!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I'm sure I remember Pope tweeting a picture of a couple of pieces of bread that managed to look like his Abbot caricature but I can't find it at the moment

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon:

It's funny to see an Australian react to fire ants the way Americans do to every carbon-based lifeform on their horrible nightmare death island.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Dude the ant-rafts are cool. I mean seriously, an entire colony acting like a single organism like that is always cool.

Just don't touch them if you value not being in crippling pain.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

After The War posted:

It's funny to see an Australian react to fire ants the way Americans do to every carbon-based lifeform on their horrible nightmare death island.
If there's one thing I've learned from First Dog on the Moon, it's that Australian parrots, at least, are super cute.

Not some of the other birds though. Swooping season sounds like bullshit. Big fan of the concept of "bin chickens" though, which sound like an improvement over the skunks we get around here. Cassowaries and emus sound hardcore in a good way. Thank you, this has been a review of the avian wildlife of Australia.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

they don't swoop you if you make friends with them

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Ularg posted:

Tony Abbott, former Prime Minister. Enormous rear end in a top hat on pretty much every topic. Still in Parliament, and continues to be a thorn in the side of the current Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull (he of the tin top hats in the Pope cartoons). You can legally call him a oval office.

Rather likes onions:

(yes, it's very real)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Trevor Noah has apparently jumped on the "antifa and Nazis are basically indistinguishable from each other" bandwagon

https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/903495067289108482

the daily show is bad now

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

loquacius posted:

Trevor Noah has apparently jumped on the "antifa and Nazis are basically indistinguishable from each other" bandwagon

You have good antifa and you have bad antifa.
The bad ones break store windows and like anime.

Still not a funny segment though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Panty Saluter posted:

I always find these hilarious.

I know how to drive, in that at one point I owned a driver's license. It's not economical for me to buy and maintain a car instead of just taking public transit, though, since I live somewhere public transit is actually decent. So I let it lapse and now look like a horrible iPhone slacker on graphs like this (or would if I was in 12th grade, anyway). Even in 12th grade I didn't have much use for it, and I got my full driver's license while in OAC.

The funny thing is whoever made this graph would definitely think that I'm a no-good millenial who is ruining the car manufacturing industry instead of someone who actually made a budget, which is what they claim they want people to do instead of wasting all their money.

Edit: OAC was grade 13 in Ontario until 2003. Yes, this means I'm a little before the drop in the graph anyway.

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 1, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Even if you are going to bitch about antifa and broken glass, Nazis are historically still the title holders of that competition.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

Even if you are going to bitch about antifa and broken glass, Nazis are historically still the title holders of that competition.

Sure, but that quickly becomes whataboutism in the other direction.

I have such mixed feelings about antifa as a thing because they are so decentralized and so bad actors can taint the group. I was right there telling old tea baggers who were in it for small gov't reasons to kick the drat nazis out and don't let racist imagery spoil their (dumb) message. This is the same thing. Antifa is good. Punching Nazis is good. Facism is bad. But idiots showing up dressed in black and just smashing poo poo need to be thrown out on their rear end because they are not helping.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
As Trevor said, it's not really one group.
Certain antifa believe and behave in different ways, the only common thing is that they all have Nazis.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wringing your hands about the scary guys in black sweatshirts ruining the optics of opposing nazis is pointless because you can't possibly be non-violent enough to satisfy right wing media that has a vested interest in lying that leftists are violent. If every antifa that showed up was in a brightly colored shirt and sat on the ground the entire time, they would find some out of context video where one tripped and knocked over a plastic trash bin as an example of their violence or maybe even mislabel one getting beaten by a white supremacist as the other way around until they corrected their "mistake" days later. It's literally impossible to stop random actors doing stuff as protests especially when often times they are police agitators. Focusing on the guys that make the movement look bad is playing into the whole right wing messaging since you can't possibly protest fascism or nazis and get a fair shake from Fox News since they support those things and actively oppose the people that don't.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 1, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/903495067289108482

Clickbait headlines are bad.

Is it pronounced AnTIfa? I thought it was anti-fa?

Radish posted:

Wringing your hands about the scary guys in black sweatshirts ruining the optics of opposing nazis is pointless because you can't possibly be non-violent enough to satisfy right wing media that has a vested interest in lying that leftists are violent.
A very good point.

You can promote non-violence for ethical reasons. You can promote other avenues of struggle for practical reasons. But if you're waiting for Fox news and its ilk to point out how non-violent and reasonable a leftist protest movement is, you'll have to wait for a long time.

OWS, BLM, Antifa - they're all dangerous terrorists by virtue of expressing left-wing protest. At best, you'll wait a few decades and have the same assholes comparing your totally peaceful protest to the sheer unctuousness of ghetto-rebellions against God Emperor Trump. Just like they had with the civil rights struggle.

Coucho Marx posted:

Tony Abbott, former Prime Minister. Enormous rear end in a top hat on pretty much every topic. Still in Parliament, and continues to be a thorn in the side of the current Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull (he of the tin top hats in the Pope cartoons). You can legally call him a oval office.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IaKVmkXuk

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 1, 2017

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Avirosb posted:

As Trevor said, it's not really one group.
Certain antifa believe and behave in different ways, the only common thing is that they all have Nazis.

It's weird that one antifa behaving badly taints the entire group in a way that a Nazi literally killing people by running them over doesn't taint Nazis. I wonder why that is.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Zemyla posted:

It's weird that one antifa behaving badly taints the entire group in a way that a Nazi literally killing people by running them over doesn't taint Nazis. I wonder why that is.

I think that might have something to do with the fact that Nazism doesn't have any positive sides to it.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Xander77 posted:

Is it pronounced AnTIfa? I thought it was anti-fa?

It's actually pronounced ant-Tifa.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Avirosb posted:

I think that might have something to do with the fact that Nazism doesn't have any positive sides to it.

I do think part of the problem is some people are so out of touch they think obviously everyone already knows Nazis are bad so they can just focus on the people against them since fascists and anti-fascists are just two sides of the same violent coin and both are bad. The issue being that isn't the case since we have nazi sympathizers in the White House and frankly the entire GOP is pretty compromised with white supremacy so all they are doing is just giving right wingers ammo to attack left with the endorsement of the people that should be the allies of anti-fascists.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Do we have a category for "most flattering Steve Bannon"?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

Wringing your hands about the scary guys in black sweatshirts ruining the optics of opposing nazis is pointless because you can't possibly be non-violent enough to satisfy right wing media that has a vested interest in lying that leftists are violent. If every antifa that showed up was in a brightly colored shirt and sat on the ground the entire time, they would find some out of context video where one tripped and knocked over a plastic trash bin as an example of their violence or maybe even mislabel one getting beaten by a white supremacist as the other way around until they corrected their "mistake" days later. It's literally impossible to stop random actors doing stuff as protests especially when often times they are police agitators. Focusing on the guys that make the movement look bad is playing into the whole right wing messaging since you can't possibly protest fascism or nazis and get a fair shake from Fox News since they support those things and actively oppose the people that don't.

All true and I don't want to focus on it, and I don't want to disband Antifa over it or anything like that.

Just if you're at a protest and someone "on your side" is being an enormous piece of poo poo, you should take their branding away, put them in a I♥NY shirt instead and send them on their way, or at least try and talk them down.

It's not a priority, but we can think about two things at once.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

"How do I exploit this tragedy to advance my agenda?" - Branco :ironicat:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 1, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Bloop posted:

All true and I don't want to focus on it, and I don't want to disband Antifa over it or anything like that.

Just if you're at a protest and someone "on your side" is being an enormous piece of poo poo, you should take their branding away, put them in a I♥NY shirt instead and send them on their way, or at least try and talk them down.

It's not a priority, but we can think about two things at once.

I think the reality is you really can't possibly stop all property damage during a protest or the jerks that come to just wreck stuff. Big sporting events result in way more damage by idiots but we don't see college basketball fans being labeled as potential domestic terrorists. Focusing on the property damage is allowing yourself to get misled by right wing media that is going to discredit the movement regardless so I think it's better to not be led around by their terms. Once you get into the "well I agree with antifa but they should be less violent.." discussion the debate has now shifted to how violent the leftists are instead on on the nazis marching in the streets and murdering people which is where they want that to go.

People that tell the bad actors to go home will get absolutely no credit or coverage anyway. I'm sure the people smashing random stuff we told to leave but it's not like we'd hear about that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

People that tell the bad actors to go home will get absolutely no credit or coverage anyway.

True, but that doesn't mean it isn't the right thing to do.

I'm not saying we should all sit at home handwringing about burning garbage cans, just that if you are there and there are bad actors, you should take a minute to try and stop it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My reaction to this discussion consists of that image of all the photographers crowding around a knocked-over trash can competing for the best shot of it, followed by the "when a liberal hears that a window is broken" macro

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I mean yeah stop anyone randomly destroying stuff if you can (I would be careful in case that person is a police agitator or someone trying to discredit the protest), I just don't think you can stop it all so focusing on it in an argument is counter productive and allows for bad faith actors to take control of the debate.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

I mean yeah stop anyone randomly destroying stuff if you can (I would be careful in case that person is a police agitator or someone trying to discredit the protest), I just don't think you can stop it all so focusing on it in an argument is counter productive and allows for bad faith actors to take control of the debate.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

:yeah:

• Locked thread