Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Which Medal of Honor had Market Garden? Was it one of the Allied Assault expansions?

Frontline and Airborne it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Version 1.0 of my Ultima Underworld to Unity port.

https://github.com/hankmorgan/UnderworldExporter/releases/tag/v1.0

Supports Ultima Underworld 1 fully, partial Underworld 2 support, and contains a map viewer for System Shock 1 and Terra Nova:SFC. Requires original game files to run.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:siren: Early FPS drama :siren:

In an interview at QuakeCon, Tim Willits made some statements about the development of Quake and claimed to have invented the dedicated multiplayer map. Several other id old-timers immediately jumped up to correct him on both counts, especially Romero who made a a decently long blog post about his perspective.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 31, 2017

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Huh, I never realised ROTT and Marathon released on the same day.

Also that is a pretty damning response from Romero :drat:

Hank Morgan posted:

Supports Ultima Underworld 1 fully, partial Underworld 2 support, and contains a map viewer for System Shock 1 and Terra Nova:SFC. Requires original game files to run.

Thanks for this! Looking forward to finally playing UU one day. Are you planning to continue working on UU2 support? Also does Terra Nova use an updated version of the same engine or something?

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 31, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

In an interview at QuakeCon, Tim Willits made some statements about the development of Quake and claimed to have invented the dedicated multiplayer map. Several other id old-timers immediately jumped up to correct him on both counts, especially Romero who made a a decently long blog post about his perspective.

Jesus, why did he think he could get away with that?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Mordja posted:

Jesus, why did he think he could get away with that?

Someone on twitter linked to this video in which Tim made these very same claims almost 10 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8teXxWXn_M&t=821s

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Hank Morgan posted:

I get this weirdness instead of a main menu or anything like that when starting up Ultima Underworld 1. The music plays though. I followed the instructions and put everything in the right place. :confused:

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

haveblue posted:

Maybe by "I designed e1" he just means that he worked as a designer on e1. Also if you read Willits' thoughts on map design he stresses the importance of working towards a goal, consistency, and continuity. So maybe what felt to him like lack of design direction was normal for other id guys, who were used to working with evolving tech and design.

Sometimes the most organized person on a project takes more credit than others give them, because they were softly directing others, without formally being the leader.

loga mira fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 31, 2017

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I get this weirdness instead of a main menu or anything like that when starting up Ultima Underworld 1. The music plays though. I followed the instructions and put everything in the right place. :confused:

You need to point the txt file to where your UW files are. If you copied over your GoG files keep in mind they compress it into an iso which they rename .gog. Need to unzip it from the .gog file (just rename it).

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

That's the placeholder UI. Are you playing using the Gog.com version by any chance? There are specific instructions for that version in the readme.txt

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yes, I followed all the instructions; pointing the text file at the directory and 7zipping the GoG version's files into its own folder.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
You need to point the text file at the UW folder you extracted from game.gog

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yes, I followed all the instructions; pointing the text file at the directory and 7zipping the GoG version's files into its own folder.

Ok. I've just retested the process for running the gog.com version and it should work as follows. The screen shot you have above is what happens when it can't find all the game files it needs.

In the folder where the gog.com versions are installed (eg "C:\Games\UW1 and 2") there is a file called game.gog.
I extracted that file using 7-zip into a new folder called game. That folder is at c:\games\uw1 and 2\game
Within that new folder there are two folders UW and UW2 those are the folders to use in the text file.
So to run UW1 I copy the path C:\Games\UW1 and 2\game\UW into the uw1_path.txt file in my program.

If that does not work there is an error log in the uwe_data folder that might shed some more light.

Just to note I've just uploaded a new version to fix a save game bug and it should become live in the next half hour.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
That worked, thank you!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

haveblue posted:

I might be able to get what another goon mentioned, with him just mis-speaking, but "invented the dedicated multiplayer map"? Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willits? :wtc:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
What I don't get is why Tim Willits would feel the need to puff himself up like that. He already has an incredible vita, his maps are arguably some of the best in Quake E1 (or anywhere else they appear) even if he didn't make a majority of them. Why make dumb brags that can be easily shot down rather than just claiming the considerable amount of credit already due you?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
When I read that article I assumed that he was probably talking about dedicated MP maps in the context of the Quake release.

It does seem like he has a different recollection (vs. Carmack/Romero) about whether they were based on "map scraps" and about just how crazy an idea they were considered to be. Of course who knows how accurate this little article is about what he literally said. The piling-on in Twitter etc. seems excessive.

(Or maybe he compulsively lies about easily disprovable stuff. I wouldn't have gone there first, but obviously this is a problem that other public figures have, so I dunno.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I'll never buy that Gearbox isn't 100% responsible for releasing that turd. There was a lot of "but they only had time to do some slight polishing of the garbage they inherited" going around but gently caress that.

One of the few things they've owned up to doing is re-recording all the VA - in other words, they saw the original script and decided the only problem was the bitrate on the audio files was too low.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Man, why does my squad keep shooting me in Opposing Force? I beat Half-Life (for the first time technically, I'd always cheated past the nihilanth as a kid) and rolled on to that expansion and theyjust keep freaking out. Even if I leave them behind, so it's not like I'm clipping them with a bullet on accident. Do they freak out if you kill black ops soldiers or something?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Keiya posted:

Man, why does my squad keep shooting me in Opposing Force? I beat Half-Life (for the first time technically, I'd always cheated past the nihilanth as a kid) and rolled on to that expansion and theyjust keep freaking out. Even if I leave them behind, so it's not like I'm clipping them with a bullet on accident. Do they freak out if you kill black ops soldiers or something?

That's odd. It's been forever since I played it, but far as I know they will only attack you if attack them, and even then I think they warn you first. They shouldn't freak out about the black ops soldiers, in fact they should be attacking them since the are enemy NPCs. I assume you are playing the steam version?

Which reminds me, Opposing Force was the first FPS game I remember playing where not only did you get friendly NPCs to help you, but they were actually kind of useful! I used to fight so hard to make sure none of my fellow marine buddies died in battle, but their aggressive AI made it really hard. :(

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Yeah, steam version. It could be that Valve broke it at some point, I know Blue Shift was unplayable for a long time because they broke the elevator early on so that the scientists died in it and you were fired just before the Resonance Cascade.

(They also are poo poo at following me and sometimes will just run and stand on a hazard instead. But I'm pretty sure that was always true...)

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Keiya posted:

Yeah, steam version. It could be that Valve broke it at some point, I know Blue Shift was unplayable for a long time because they broke the elevator early on so that the scientists died in it and you were fired just before the Resonance Cascade.

(They also are poo poo at following me and sometimes will just run and stand on a hazard instead. But I'm pretty sure that was always true...)

It's possible, I did some google-fu but mostly found issues with the AI pathfinding..but you are right that has always been an issue. I remember they would constantly get stuck or just get themselves killed in a fire fight.

Other than the AI, how is it holding up? I'd like to do another Opposing Force/BlueShift play through, and they are short campaigns. However then I see my list of unplayed Steam games in my library...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yodzilla posted:

RE3 and 4 were just single protagonists unless you could the Ada stuff which was just sort of bolted on bonus material.

RE4's Separate Ways is way more than just "sort of bolted on bonus material." Are you thinking of Assignment: Ada? Separate ways was added as a bonus campaign in later revisions of the game, yes, but it's still pretty much the full main campaign from her perspective.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

e: wrong thread whoops

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 1, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mak0rz posted:

RE4's Separate Ways is way more than just "sort of bolted on bonus material." Are you thinking of Assignment: Ada? Separate ways was added as a bonus campaign in later revisions of the game, yes, but it's still pretty much the full main campaign from her perspective.

Yeah, it's even pretty long, actually. I'd say it's easily 60-70% as long as the main campaign.

Assignment: Ada is the 5-level antidote hunt that I think starts on the island.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Separate Ways is terrible though, it's just the existing maps for 80% of the campaign but with hundreds of enemies running at you all the time. Even the extra level is really dull. It was directed by the guy that handled RE5 though so I guess that explains it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it was in fact Theresa Chaser who invented multiplayer maps.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Convex posted:

Separate Ways is terrible though, it's just the existing maps for 80% of the campaign but with hundreds of enemies running at you all the time. Even the extra level is really dull. It was directed by the guy that handled RE5 though so I guess that explains it.

I don't remember it being that bad.

Regardless the topic was about games with different campaigns that cover the same events simultaneously from different perspectives like the Black Mesa video posted a while back. Quality of the game isn't really relevant.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's even further from an FPS than anything discussed thus far, but Nier Automata has three playable characters and all of their paths have unique segments and segments shared with one or more of the others.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Getting even further out from the FPS genre, Sonic Adventure and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep both also do the "same events seen from different perspectives" thing. In the case of Sonic Adventure, it can be a tad contradictory with regards to who fights what boss fights (e.g.: did Sonic, Tails or Knuckles fight Chaos 4? All of them get a boss fight against the guy at precisely the same point in the plot where the three cross paths, despite it being only a single one-on-one fight), but the broad strokes of everyone's plots mesh together well enough. Birth by Sleep is better about being consistent there, giving you the other player characters as AI companions if they fought a given boss together (though I swear Aqua helped Ventus fight Maleficent in his Enchanted Dominion run, while in Aqua's campaign the boss fight simply doesn't happen - the cutscene before it does, but then skips over that fight entirely, and she doesn't fight Maleficent until much later, alongside Prince Phillip); it even gives you a timeline of what happened once you clear everyone's campaigns, so you can see who was where when.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Johnny Law posted:

When I read that article I assumed that he was probably talking about dedicated MP maps in the context of the Quake release.

It does seem like he has a different recollection (vs. Carmack/Romero) about whether they were based on "map scraps" and about just how crazy an idea they were considered to be. Of course who knows how accurate this little article is about what he literally said. The piling-on in Twitter etc. seems excessive.

(Or maybe he compulsively lies about easily disprovable stuff. I wouldn't have gone there first, but obviously this is a problem that other public figures have, so I dunno.)

I agree the drama around this is excessive, but if you're worried the article might have misquoted him just look at the video I posted earlier. He's been telling this same story for awhile now.

Tim even thinks out loud at the end of the section "I thought maybe ROTT [was the first to have dedicated multiplayer maps]." But when Warren Spector says its true and you don't really remember the exact details of what happened I can totally see why he just took the statement at face value. The mistake is that he's continued to think it's true and didn't go research it when he started being a spokesperson for QC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Forgot a way more obvious and relevant example of a multipath FPS: Halo 2.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Solaris 2.0 posted:

That's odd. It's been forever since I played it, but far as I know they will only attack you if attack them, and even then I think they warn you first. They shouldn't freak out about the black ops soldiers, in fact they should be attacking them since the are enemy NPCs. I assume you are playing the steam version?

Which reminds me, Opposing Force was the first FPS game I remember playing where not only did you get friendly NPCs to help you, but they were actually kind of useful! I used to fight so hard to make sure none of my fellow marine buddies died in battle, but their aggressive AI made it really hard. :(

Dude, the OpFor friendly NPCs were loving awesome. I'd do my best to keep them alive so that I could roll around Black Mesa with 3 or 4 of them; it felt like a veritable wrecking crew, especially since they were reasonably competent and could actually kill things (unlike many FPS games, even today).

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

haveblue posted:

Forgot a way more obvious and relevant example of a multipath FPS: Halo 2.
I don't think that counts. The two protagonists don't ever visit the same location except in a single cutscene as far as I remember.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The game also kind of automatically switches back and forth between the two, while almost all the other examples, you pick your side of the story and play it through from start to finish. I suppose that's not an immediate disqualification or anything, but it is a little unusual for this.

If I understand correctly, Halo 3 ODST might be a better example - following up on what happened to New Mombasa after Master Chief leaves it in Halo 2. I think it might have multiple player characters within its own campaign as well, but I never played the game to know (really, my Halo experience goes up to the Flood appearing in the first Halo, and some experience with the earlier half of Halo 2, but not much further).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Evil Within isn't a first person shooter but its protagonist and the DLCs' protagonist pretty much form a DNA strand shape from how often they spend like 5 minutes together and then go their resident evil 4: separate ways.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shadow Hog posted:

If I understand correctly, Halo 3 ODST might be a better example - following up on what happened to New Mombasa after Master Chief leaves it in Halo 2. I think it might have multiple player characters within its own campaign as well, but I never played the game to know (really, my Halo experience goes up to the Flood appearing in the first Halo, and some experience with the earlier half of Halo 2, but not much further).

It does, but they don't overlap- you play a primary character who wanders an overworld periodically discovering playable flashbacks to what other members of his team have been up to. Once the team reunites you don't change character after that.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Dude, the OpFor friendly NPCs were loving awesome. I'd do my best to keep them alive so that I could roll around Black Mesa with 3 or 4 of them; it felt like a veritable wrecking crew, especially since they were reasonably competent and could actually kill things (unlike many FPS games, even today).

Shame there's only about 12 living marines left besides Shepard in Black Mesa by the time you come too.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Klaus88 posted:

Shame there's only about 12 living marines left besides Shepard in Black Mesa by the time you come too.

Plus all of the chokepoints where your AI buddies are unable follow. Like, I don't think they could climb ladders, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Plus all of the chokepoints where your AI buddies are unable follow. Like, I don't think they could climb ladders, right?

Correct. I just beat Opposing Forces last night for the first time, the Episode 3 leak reminded me I never played it. The AI were surprisingly competent at killing poo poo but seemed unable to do anything beyond running and shooting outside of their assigned roles.