Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

good jovi posted:

I went last year for a couple hours on Sunday. So as far as I saw, it's 100% playing with neat stuff. Nobody's hounding you, they know nobody's there to buy. I'll definitely be going back, I'm hoping to see a bit more 4U.

Awesome, good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

rickiep00h posted:

Is anyone going to Knobcon next weekend? Or has gone in the past? I'm interested in going and farting around, but I'm wondering how much the ratio of "playing with neat stuff" is to "being hounded by reps before you get a chance to actually mess with stuff."

Sorry in advanced.

If its anything like last year...

I didn't go.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000

good jovi posted:

I went last year for a couple hours on Sunday. So as far as I saw, it's 100% playing with neat stuff. Nobody's hounding you, they know nobody's there to buy. I'll definitely be going back, I'm hoping to see a bit more 4U.

Yep, lots of stuff to play with, and you will meet cool folks. Highly recommended!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I landed on the Two59 for my big fall/winter project. Got some rare parts kits on the way and now I'm working through the BOM. I finally had an excuse to place a Modular Addict order so now I have some stackables coming too. (and a nice hoard of Tempcos).

good jovi was there a Pomona cable + jack anywhere w/ the VCOs? I think my spread sheets are mis-importing.

Also, would anyone be interested in a music diy thread? Idk if this forum gets enough eyes to be worth it but PERSONALLY I wouldn't mind a music-themed project diary thing and I think theres some guitar/pedal builders here too.

Or I'll just keep posting here.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
hahaha i just took a dozen cables out of my sport mod

i love stackcables hahah

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

JamesKPolk posted:

good jovi was there a Pomona cable + jack anywhere w/ the VCOs? I think my spread sheets are mis-importing.

I don't understand? When people say "Pomona" they're usually referring to banana plug cables. The Two59 is a eurorack project using 3.5mm TS jacks (specifically thonkiconns).

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

good jovi posted:

When people say "Pomona" they're usually referring to banana plug cables.

Yeah exactly, it seemed out of place. Thanks - I thought maybe it was for testing/calibrating something... but I think I just mis-imported a BOM.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

JamesKPolk posted:

Yeah exactly, it seemed out of place. Thanks - I thought maybe it was for testing/calibrating something... but I think I just mis-imported a BOM.

Ok, yeah. There's nothing banana related at all in there. Closest thing is that rev 1.0 boards have silkscreen values for 15V.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
preorder list up for those interested

https://www.stereoping.com/synth-programmer/

He's going to do 4 editions:
* Matrix 1000
* Microwave
* MKS-80
* Chroma

They'll be 470 per kit to self-build

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I've picked just the worst time to sell my maschine mk2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FocQyTE3FNk

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 7, 2017

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

funakupo posted:

preorder list up for those interested

https://www.stereoping.com/synth-programmer/

He's going to do 4 editions:
* Matrix 1000
* Microwave
* MKS-80
* Chroma

They'll be 470 per kit to self-build

Pulse 1 too, maybe. $500 unbuilt though :/

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
gently caress you UPS, my Digitakt was out for delivery and Harvey isn't an excuse anymore :mad:

edit: it arrived 30 minutes later :shobon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 8, 2017

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Finally a way to add bricks to your system w/o having to go Beltron

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Anybody at knobcon? I must say the knobs on the SE-2 are awful small.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I know it's become cool to hate on the Mutable Instrument stuff for how overdone it all is, but I really like the Rings. I've gotten a loop I like a lot mostly built around the Rings here: https://soundcloud.com/joejoejoejoe-4/circuit

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

HerzogZwo posted:

I was there most of the afternoon. That was my first impression of the SE-02 also. I couldn't really get a good grip on anything. It was not pleasant to use.

The recent Roland stuff just does not mesh with my brain. I also tried the SH-01a, and I just could not figure out what was going on with either of them.

The star of the show for me was the Digitakt. I was jamming pretty well in just a few minutes, and the button feel was amazing. I'm definitely going to start thinking about what I can sell off to fund one of those.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

I know it's become cool to hate on the Mutable Instrument stuff for how overdone it all is, but I really like the Rings.

Is this a thing?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
uh.

yeah.

what.

uh.

can't stop.

won't stop.

:pcgaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd4GG3bed0 :pcgaming:

!!! Roland Boutique D-05 Announced today !!!

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Clavavisage posted:

Is this a thing?

Kind of. There's definitely some annoyance at the way so many people new to eurorack seem to go straight for Rings and Clouds without much understanding of what they really are or how they work. I don't think this extends to Mutable in general, though, more those two modules.

ah, dang! I saw this at the Roland booth but didn't know what it was. Demos sound really good.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

good jovi posted:

Kind of. There's definitely some annoyance at the way so many people new to eurorack seem to go straight for Rings and Clouds without much understanding of what they really are or how they work. I don't think this extends to Mutable in general, though, more those two modules.

yeah now that theyve discontinued peaks :smugdog:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

I really wish they would make a boutique of the s-50 next

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

lmao but also I want one. The Legowelt video got me good.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

good jovi posted:

so many people new to eurorack seem to go at anything without much understanding of what they really are or how they work.

Ftfy, but honestly their stuff isnt that complex nor is most modular stuff, but since we live in a fetish consumer world my blinky box is better than your 30 year wavetable synth

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gringostar posted:

I really wish they would make a boutique of the s-50 next

ooh i could play it with my s10 :allears:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Chainclaw posted:

I know it's become cool to hate on the Mutable Instrument stuff for how overdone it all is, but I really like the Rings. I've gotten a loop I like a lot mostly built around the Rings here: https://soundcloud.com/joejoejoejoe-4/circuit

I'm digging this a lot.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Clavavisage posted:

Ftfy, but honestly their stuff isnt that complex nor is most modular stuff, but since we live in a fetish consumer world my blinky box is better than your 30 year wavetable synth

mutable's stuff is way more reminiscent of things a number of people got into modular to avoid

i know just reading about peaks reminds me how much time i wasted just like, adjusting attack on the dx7 and clouds just, idk it had a distinct sound i found the least pleasant of all the euro delays ive used :shrug:

like, it makes sense that somebody would make modules that attempt to bring aspects of the computer musicmaking experience to eurorack, it is the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHZex4lW7h0

it aint my thing but its cool that oliviers doin it; he probably wouldnt have made any analog modules if he hadnt made digital ones and i use kinks in every patch and ears in most of em

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Clavavisage posted:

I'm the last person to criticize others for buying fun blinky boxes that they don't understand. A lot of it probably stems from Olivier (the Mutable guy) himself. He's expressed publicly some disappointment that Clouds sells better than like every other module combined and has basically said that most people are using it wrong.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

i am 100% buying that boutique D50 nomatter how silly the form-factor is

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
The Dreadbox case168 looks really cool, walked past it a few times before I noticed it.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

wowza :stare:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

HerzogZwo posted:

I went today and... I was pretty underwhelmed on the whole. Not sure if it was because it was Sunday and people cleared out, or if it was just not my bag to walk around and look at a bunch of blinking lights that didn't seem hooked up to anything, or what. Maybe I'm just not one for the community.

The thing I noodled with the most was, indeed, the SE-02, which was alright but is clearly not a jamming machine because of those knobs and switches. I thought the Digitakt was okay, and the UI is easier to navigate than the Octatrack by far, but it's still not, like, user-friendly. I liked the build quality, buttons, screen, etc, though.

Anyway, I'll try to go on Saturday next year; I'm not sure I feel like I got as much out of it as I could have. Nobody else seemed like they were having any fun, either. Hell, the Dave Smith booth was literally an unmanned table with a Prophet, an OB-6, and something else that I can't even remember.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have a real D-50 sitting on the floor because it's too goddamned big and heavy and the aftertouch doesnt work and by golly would I trade that thing in for a D-05 in a heartbeat.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

I have a real D-50 sitting on the floor because it's too goddamned big and heavy and the aftertouch doesnt work and by golly would I trade that thing in for a D-05 in a heartbeat.

yeah next to the 303 its got like the fewest manual controls of anything theyve boutiqued yet, right?  not counting keys obv 

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Clavavisage posted:

Speaking of...

Someone re-hosted Synth Secrets on Github:
https://github.com/micjamking/synth-secrets

Every couple of years I come back and get my mind completely blown. Such a good series, if anyone doesn't know. Its engaging at a low level but presents high-level stuff in a friendly (and easily-skimmable) way, and its a really thorough survey. Great for de-mystifying things too.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I bought a minilogue, and it owns so far. It works really well with the MS-20 mini, and now that my buddy just got a MOTU Timepiece, poo poo is about to get real in the basement

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I bought a minilogue, and it owns so far. It works really well with the MS-20 mini, and now that my buddy just got a MOTU Timepiece, poo poo is about to get real in the basement

Welcome to the club, Minilogue Buddy!

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

good jovi posted:

Clouds started with a cool-sounding demo video and a very limited supply; problem was, most people listening were really in love with the reverb more than the actual granular part but didn't understand that. So the preorders piled up and so did the expectations that it was some magical module. Once it arrived the magic faded and it was just another module.

So really, it was just an extreme version of GAS, but that rep kinda stuck. For what it's worth I still love my Elements.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
System1 and 1m prices seem to be crashing right now and all of the plugouts can be found in various :filez:

The keybed on the 1 is still a gross joke tho

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Incidentally, VCV Rack, a virtual modular system, just launched with some Mutable Instruments clone modules among others. (https://vcvrack.com/) Seems like a nice way to try it out for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Landed an ansible by contributing to the teletype code base. :coolfish: