Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah Moscow is run by rich white people just like the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I love the fact that rkajdi simultaneously says that globalisation is a force for good in the world while impoverished white people in the midwest went for Trump.

Like, there might be a connection you're missing there buddy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

I love the fact that rkajdi simultaneously says that globalisation is a force for good in the world while impoverished white people in the midwest went for Trump.

Rich white people made up the vast majority of Trump voters. Rural white people make up a small fraction of the poor overall.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

rkajdi posted:

I'm for free trade because it increase interdependence between countries (which helps reduce war by giving an economic incentive to continue to co-operate) and help sever the connection between nation and ethnicity. It's not a surprise that two of the most problematic states currently (Afghanistan and North Korea) are two of the least economically connected. The post Cold War relative peace we've had is due to the interconnectedness of nations.

Grand_Illusion.txt or no, it is more difficult to take unilateral action against broad agreements and trade nets. Trade does bind nations together to a certain extent. Despite Trump's/Bannon's desire to start a trade war with China, it's pretty clear that that course of action is going to be opposed by any serious capitalist in his administration. Cultural exchange (even in the form of appropriation) may also have some great benefits to getting rid of some of the parochialism of the West (and other nations).

However, this doesn't solve a few serious problems:
- The fact that sometimes democratic capitalist nations can go to war with each other and trade alliances can broaden the scope of the war
- The fact that democratic nations are perfectly fine with attacking and destroying nations which they can paint as not democratic/capitalist enough
- Roderik's Trilemma (the idea that local democracy will be sacrificed to global agreements that may be far more damaging to labor, environment, etc): http://rodrik.typepad.com/dani_rodriks_weblog/2007/06/the-inescapable.html

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Look it's not a problem when we nick the most profitable people from other countries and concentrate them in ours without providing anything in return, and it isn't a problem when we do it within our own country either! Suck it up plebs.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

business hammocks posted:

Rich white people made up the vast majority of Trump voters. Rural white people make up a small fraction of the poor overall.

Explain Ohio.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JVNO posted:

I concur, and this is the type of person I'm getting at. There's some principle underlying this position that isn't strictly 'truth is in the middle'- these are empirically supported, rational positions.

Eh, I don't know if I'd call them "empirically supported and rational." It's more accurate to just say "there's a more or less plausible-sounding reason for someone to believe this", even if the belief itself ends up being wrong.

edit: I'd actually go as far as to say that the minute someone starts believing ideas that are actually ideological in nature (which is basically all political ideas) are actually "rational/empirical", they develop a huge blind spot in their overall worldview.

Harrow posted:

I'm kind of curious what the "cure" is for that virus, given that it seems like your cut-off for whether a person isn't slowly destroying society is pretty low from a "lives in a city and has student loans" standpoint. Like, it's still more than I make, but not by a ton.

I didn't want to cram a bunch more caveats in, but the money can be adjusted upward based upon the city someone lives in (so $60k probably becomes like $100k or something in an expensive city). The key point is that it's the level at which a reasonable person no longer needs to be concerned about financial problems, and obviously this varies some depending upon location, dependents, debt, student loans, etc. Like, I make around $35k and consider that to be a reasonable living wage in a medium-cost area; an individual making almost twice as much in this same area would basically have no realistic financial concerns unless they had some extenuating circumstance(s), like medical school loans or something. I think many people, who usually make pretty good money themselves, don't realize how little money most other people make. Half of all American full-time employees have individual incomes of less than ~$30-35k, and it's even lower if you're only looking at younger Americans. Like, if you make over $50k as a young person, you are doing way better than most other young people, regardless of whether you live in a city. Most of the people I knew in college were on a general "professional track" (don't know how else to describe "people born into a middle/upper-middle class family who go to good colleges and get good skilled jobs after graduating"), and they honestly thought that ~$50-60k was a relatively normal salary to make immediately out of college, rather than almost double the median amount full-time workers make (and probably triple if you're only referring to other young people). I think this misconception is largely because people who make good money tend to also have friends and coworkers who make a similar amount of money, so the majority of people who make far less money are invisible to them.

The cure is just to directly take their wealth/assets* and redistribute them; after all, the issue is "people with a lot of money" and the "with a lot of money" condition is entirely mutable. It's not like "being rich" is some fundamental unchangeable aspect of a person. I imagine the psychological stuff would often resolve itself once someone has been forced to live like a normal person for long enough.

Just to be clear, this is all "in an ideal situation" pie in the sky sorta stuff; in the short-medium term I still support anything that would be an improvement.

*I don't think this is necessary for people making merely high 5-figures amounts of money; I only mentioned that amount because it's around the point when a person ceases to have reasonable financial concerns (barring sheer stupidity on their part) and often has their priorities and perception of the world change. People at this level generally benefit enough from the economic status quo that it isn't in their personal interest to significantly change it, and as a result they're destined to usually be political enemies in the long run. Such people can be okay short-term allies for stuff like social issues or minor improvements to economic policy, but in the long run they're just as (if not more) different from leftists as liberals are from conservatives.

OwlFancier posted:

And also all of that sweet ethnic underclass to do all the menial labour that forms the foundation of society and whose work ethic is motivated by their continued poverty, that's pretty great too.

It's especially hilarious that the dude talking about how important it is to have a constant source of low-paid immigration labor makes six figures himself. Like, I'm totally fine with immigration myself, but the reasons have nothing to do with having a constant source of "highly motivated" unskilled labor.

rkajdi posted:

You're basically forcing people to live lesser lives on the basis of what country they're born into. That's pathetic, and also very telling that you live on the right side of that divide.

People who legally immigrate to the US generally represent the more well-off citizens of their origin countries. It's not like immigration to the US is uplifting the people who need it most. There are a variety of reasons why immigration is good and legal immigration should be made easier, but "uplifting foreign people" isn't really one of those reasons (if anything, skilled foreign immigration to the US is sometimes harmful to the origin country).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 31, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

MiddleOne posted:

Explain Ohio.

Suburbanites.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B7msJWjdhE

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well..... At least he's not topless.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Part of me wants to start a youtube channel, shave my hair into a big freddie mercury, put on a leather vest and rant incoherently about how great communism is.

I could call myself the soviet bear.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm the description box that is literally nothing but "Please give me money!" links.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

Part of me wants to start a youtube channel, shave my hair into a big freddie mercury, put on a leather vest and rant incoherently about how great communism is.

do it

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

OwlFancier posted:

YouTube entryism, I like it. I'm curious about which companies would advertise on videos calling for their own destruction though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Independent bookshops, terrible groups hawking newspapers, less-terrible groups hawking newspapers. Better to use Patreon.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

https://twitter.com/xexizy11/status/898190970210144257

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/902749192665403394

why are there so many of these people?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you take the blue suit and hat off you can use the mask for your creepypasta reading side channel.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

If you take the blue suit and hat off you can use the mask for your creepypasta reading side channel.

He looks like a WWE 2K14 CAW come to life

Intrinsic Field Marshal fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 1, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

So you're with your honey and you're making out when the phone rings. You answer it and the voice is "sorry crossed lines" but phone company was privatized years ago SO HOW CAN PRIVATE INDUSTRY MAKE LESS THAN OPTIMAL DECISIONS?

:ghost:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

then who was john galt???

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's like Jim Sterling except without the charm and handsome flab, plus dumpster fire political views.

Also god they're all just trying so hard to be ~*refined gentlemen skeptics of class*~

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 1, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't want to cram a bunch more caveats in, but the money can be adjusted upward based upon the city someone lives in (so $60k probably becomes like $100k or something in an expensive city). The key point is that it's the level at which a reasonable person no longer needs to be concerned about financial problems, and obviously this varies some depending upon location, dependents, debt, student loans, etc. Like, I make around $35k and consider that to be a reasonable living wage in a medium-cost area; an individual making almost twice as much in this same area would basically have no realistic financial concerns unless they had some extenuating circumstance(s), like medical school loans or something. I think many people, who usually make pretty good money themselves, don't realize how little money most other people make. Half of all American full-time employees have individual incomes of less than ~$30-35k, and it's even lower if you're only looking at younger Americans. Like, if you make over $50k as a young person, you are doing way better than most other young people, regardless of whether you live in a city. Most of the people I knew in college were on a general "professional track" (don't know how else to describe "people born into a middle/upper-middle class family who go to good colleges and get good skilled jobs after graduating"), and they honestly thought that ~$50-60k was a relatively normal salary to make immediately out of college, rather than almost double the median amount full-time workers make (and probably triple if you're only referring to other young people). I think this misconception is largely because people who make good money tend to also have friends and coworkers who make a similar amount of money, so the majority of people who make far less money are invisible to them.

The cure is just to directly take their wealth/assets* and redistribute them; after all, the issue is "people with a lot of money" and the "with a lot of money" condition is entirely mutable. It's not like "being rich" is some fundamental unchangeable aspect of a person. I imagine the psychological stuff would often resolve itself once someone has been forced to live like a normal person for long enough.

Just to be clear, this is all "in an ideal situation" pie in the sky sorta stuff; in the short-medium term I still support anything that would be an improvement.

*I don't think this is necessary for people making merely high 5-figures amounts of money; I only mentioned that amount because it's around the point when a person ceases to have reasonable financial concerns (barring sheer stupidity on their part) and often has their priorities and perception of the world change. People at this level generally benefit enough from the economic status quo that it isn't in their personal interest to significantly change it, and as a result they're destined to usually be political enemies in the long run. Such people can be okay short-term allies for stuff like social issues or minor improvements to economic policy, but in the long run they're just as (if not more) different from leftists as liberals are from conservatives.

With added nuance that makes a lot more sense, thanks. And to be fair, if I didn't have the far-too-large student loans that I do, the amount of money I make would be pretty drat comfortable for the city I live in and I don't think I'd worry about money at all (barring making poor choices like buying a bunch of too-expensive poo poo I have no need of). Unfortunately, like a lot of people who are less fortunate than I am, I'll be paying for poor financial choices I made when I was 18 for a long, long time. I'm lucky that I make enough money to do so and still, y'know, pay rent.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

why are there so many of these people?

do you mean idiots trying to avoid getting real jobs or dudes who superficially and "ironically" drape themselves in the trappings of masculine respectability to paper over their own glaring flaws

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yardbomb posted:

It's like Jim Sterling except without the charm and handsome flab, plus dumpster fire political views.

Also god they're all just trying so hard to be ~*refined gentlemen skeptics of class*~

Someone obviously told these people that they'd get made fun of for wearing fedoras so they picked hats that are even dumber.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

This is almost a bingo sheet of Rational™ Shitheads.

- Suit
- Top Hat
- Smirk
- Mask
- Skull
- Not Jim Sterling

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'll never grasp how armoured skeptic found an audience. his voice is terrible.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'll never grasp how armoured skeptic found an audience. his voice is terrible.

Same way people like Gorilla Mindset, that guy that pepper sprayed himself and Carl get them. You ability to speak and you ability to make a point eloquently don't matter at all when you're pandering to the dregs of the internet, all that matters is your willingness to say whatever hosed up poo poo they want to hear.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Same way people like Gorilla Mindset, that guy that pepper sprayed himself and Carl get them.
Is this an ambiguous sentence or did he pepper spray Carl too? Please tell me he did because that'd be hilarious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think carl was at the rally.

I doubt he leaves swindon.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Carl only travels across the planet when Anita's involved.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

He looks like a WWE 2K14 CAW come to life

Except ancap

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Everyone is surprised at that dude having no shame and being willing to wear that poo poo but he's a goddamn ancap and they have no shame or decency

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Lol Hopefully Akilah Hughes Bankrupts the fat fucker from swindon so he cant travel anymore.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
Wait, which if these lovely characters pepper sprayed himself? I must have missed this detail.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fangthane posted:

Wait, which if these lovely characters pepper sprayed himself? I must have missed this detail.

https://twitter.com/vicbergeriv/status/897093928150761472

tldr somehow this guy gets maced by a protester through his sunglasses, and only him - not any of his buddies standing immediately next to him. all of his buddies were filming and livestreaming and somehow nobody captured any footage of the assault

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Given how his eyes look in the picture he took in the "hospital" later it doesn't really look like he got pepper-sprayed at all, even by himself, just yelling that he did.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Kibayasu posted:

Given how his eyes look in the picture he took in the "hospital" later it doesn't really look like he got pepper-sprayed at all, even by himself, just yelling that he did.

Well I mean, if he actually DOES get permanent eye damage (from macing himself way too close to his face to just make a huge nozzle of pain vs the distributed effect you would normally get) then THAT WILL SHOW YOU!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Forer posted:

Well I mean, if he actually DOES get permanent eye damage (from macing himself way too close to his face to just make a huge nozzle of pain vs the distributed effect you would normally get) then THAT WILL SHOW YOU!

luckily the hand of satan came to remove the wounds from this guy's eyes because he had a miraculous recovery in the hospital a couple days later, despite the fact that the invisible antifa wielded acid strong enough to burn a man's eyes without reddening the skin

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
oh holy poo poo seriously? "OMG THIS FUCKIN' MACEMANJUST HIT ME HARD AAAAAAAAAA GET ME MILK MILK PLS NOW AAAAAAAA HOSPITAL HELP ME oh they let me go a day later turns out I'm fine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Funny. Today I heard someone being called an SJW IRL for the first time. His crime, being a decent human being.

• Locked thread