Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

hobbesmaster posted:

Are you going to make more than $400 off your video card mining?

Gimme two hundred days

Good thing difficulty doesn't go up right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Are you going to make more than $400 off your video card mining?

Anyone claiming at least $2/day in mining income after electricity (many of the posters in this thread) would likely be over that threshold. But that's assuming they're accurately tracking electricity costs and the spot price of bitcoins

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

Anyone claiming at least $2/day in mining income after electricity (many of the posters in this thread) would likely be over that threshold. But that's assuming they're accurately tracking electricity costs and the spot price of bitcoins

Income? I make giftcards using throwaway email addresses

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You can't tax gifts!!!

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Ok so I was looking into buying a new GPU and it turns out there's a bunch of nerds using the limited resources we have on earth to buy GPUs and run them at at max power 24/7 to create virtual monopoly money and everyone thinks they can get one over each other and get rich with it, so now all the GPU prices are high??

I think the UN should intervene

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 31, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

That assumes hat continues to the end of the year though. I guess it's possible - the hash rated haven't skyrocketed yet.

Either way - if you gross more than $400 you owe self employment taxes. If you have a regular job you shouldn't have to do anything complicated except put the correct amount on your tax return and follow instructions.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Minorkos posted:

Ok so I was looking into buying a new GPU and it turns out there's a bunch of nerds using the limited resources we have on earth to buy GPUs and run them at at max power 24/7 to create virtual monopoly money and everyone thinks they can get one over each other and get rich with it, so now all the GPU prices are high??

Sorry :smith:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Minorkos posted:

I wish to subscribe to your blog

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PerrineClostermann posted:

I wish to subscribe to your vlog

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Uhhhh lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Wh... what

Well, gamers who were crying about not being able to buy cards are about to get a lot of cheap Radeon offers

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I've just been using the legacy miner

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Lmao yet another gently caress you for AMD consumers

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, this is meaningless. "Pro" miners probably shouldn't be using nicehash, especially not the "nice" version.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"Pro" miners

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Toiling away in the criptomoines, aye, erryday from morn tile nightfall, it is my life, an honest and simple criptomoiner

Also I'm a libertarian

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I just happened to see that on a machine with an AMD gpu that I cant mine with anyway but that is truly mind boggling. I really cant think of how that would happen

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
nicehash v2 is a pile of dog anuses. the legacy miner is way more active, I have no idea why that thing is even on their download page.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

nicehash v2 is a pile of dog anuses. the legacy miner is way more active, I have no idea why that thing is even on their download page.

Whys that? I use 2 now because its just slightly more convienent but ill switch back if im losing on something

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol just lol at virtual currency

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol all the way to the bank (chipotle)

my bitcoin is through the roof. I mean yeah I could lose it all overnight and im supporting terrorism and crime by using it but my burrito intake has skyrocketed

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I don't know where this is headed but I hope it leads to $600 for my 1070.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just use the Legacy Miner because Nicehash are being a bunch of BITCHES right now.

Also there are way better algorithms in Legacy miner anyway.

eames
May 9, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know where this is headed but I hope it leads to $600 for my 1070.

If this silly trend continues the people who bought a Pascal card at release date will be able to sell their card for more than MSRP the day before Volta is out. :psyduck:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

eames posted:

If this silly trend continues the people who bought a Pascal card at release date will be able to sell their card for more than MSRP the day before Volta is out. :psyduck:

Yet another reason why Radeon sucks.

Vega is DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
1w

BTC +15%
LTC +50%
ETC+33%
ETH+25%

ZEC flat

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

1w

BTC +15%
LTC +50%
ETC+33%
ETH+25%

ZEC flat

Im rich, bitch !

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

There is a serious boon to CPU mining from what I've seen, so much so I'm starting to be concerned about CPU's. A two core Haswell 4570T that I'm using in a mining machine was pulling in 24 cents a day yesterday, that CPU has a TDP of 35 watts. If I don't CPU mine on it still uses 25 watts, making that 10 watts a very efficient use of power. Luckily I don't think there are motherboards out there where you can drop in 4 CPU's cheaply but still.

I just confirmed it on another 4570T, this used to mine like 8 cents a day or something bad. My 8600K on my gaming computer is twice this at a cost of 30 watts (between mining with it and just GPU mining). The CPU mining looks like its about 40 cents a day at this exact moment, probably was higher last night.

eyes 100's of laptops sitting on shelves at work

not worth getting fired over but thoughts arent crimes if I dont say them (yet)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

1gnoirents posted:

There is a serious boon to CPU mining from what I've seen, so much so I'm starting to be concerned about CPU's. A two core Haswell 4570T that I'm using in a mining machine was pulling in 24 cents a day yesterday, that CPU has a TDP of 35 watts.

Remember us when you're a wealthy man of leisure.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I seriously doubt you're going to be coming anywhere near the FLOPS/Watt range that an undervolted GPU can do on a CPU. Sure, if you have a bunch of GPU miner running 4+ cards and the CPU is sitting idle and has a low TDP then you might as well run that too because some amount of the wattage is sunk regardless, but firing up all those old laptops is probably going to be running you in the red immediately. You have a lot of redundant motherboards/chipsets/EXTREMELY INEFFICIENT external PSU bricks (these things have almost zero standards, unlike internal PSUs) you need to power that all incur power overhead.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
This whole thread reminds me of when I go to ALDI and somebody left a quarter in a cart, so I come home with an extra quarter. Boom, 25c per day.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I know a guy that does a walking route for lunch in around all the parking meters and always collects enough dropped change to buy his lunch from some takeout place. Seems like a better use of your time.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I seriously doubt you're going to be coming anywhere near the FLOPS/Watt range that an undervolted GPU can do on a CPU. Sure, if you have a bunch of GPU miner running 4+ cards and the CPU is sitting idle and has a low TDP then you might as well run that too because some amount of the wattage is sunk regardless, but firing up all those old laptops is probably going to be running you in the red immediately. You have a lot of redundant motherboards/chipsets/EXTREMELY INEFFICIENT external PSU bricks (these things have almost zero standards, unlike internal PSUs) you need to power that all incur power overhead.

Oh yeah I know running whole computers for CPU mining only is retarded power wise, system power is probably almost triple the CPU wattage. I was more or less thinking out loud that im glad there arent mining motherboards with 4 cpu sockets because the GPU inflation is annoying enough as it is

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

This whole thread reminds me of when I go to ALDI and somebody left a quarter in a cart, so I come home with an extra quarter. Boom, 25c per day.

You totally got us, masters of pennies

quote:

Item Subtotal: CDN$ 269.00
Shipping and handling: CDN$ 5.90
FREE Shipping: -CDN$ 5.90
Tax Calculated (GST/HST): CDN$ 34.97
Tax Calculated (PST/QST): CDN$ 0.00
Total: CDN$ 303.97
Paid by Amazon.ca Rewards Visa: CDN$ 123.97
Paid by Gift Certificate: CDN$ 180.00

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

Remember us when you're a wealthy man of leisure.

Getting guac today

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Im sorry I only think in terms of BTC now and automatically convert every price to fractions of BTC such as 0.0000000321344 for a cup of coffee and so on, it's very easy please buy more bitcoin with your real money

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Im sorry I only think in terms of BTC now and automatically convert every price to fractions of BTC such as 0.0000000321344 for a cup of coffee and so on, it's very easy please buy more bitcoin with your real money

mBTC

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I meant "with your old fashioned stinky almost useless non virtual fiat money", get on the bandwagon please before you are TOO POOR to continue living without cryptocurrency

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

Oh yeah I know running whole computers for CPU mining only is retarded power wise, system power is probably almost triple the CPU wattage. I was more or less thinking out loud that im glad there arent mining motherboards with 4 cpu sockets because the GPU inflation is annoying enough as it is

You need a xeon/whatever AMD server class cpus to run on a multi-socket platform, consumer grade chips won't do it. Now, you could maybe get clever and fab 4+ micro-ITX motherboards in to the same board and have them share common power... I guess? It just doesn't make a lot of sense when you can run a bajillion GPUs off however many 1x pcie lanes you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

We have a Proliant gen 9 server at work with 90% free resources, if I start mining Monero, I mean that's not illegal right

As long as no one finds out

• Locked thread