Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vikar Jerome posted:

all that talk of product placement reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ZRHjC5wGI

are these canon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

all that talk of product placement reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ZRHjC5wGI

I love how much Kyle McLachlan is totally into it. Not a missed beat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Those are seriously some of the best commercials ever made. Like if you look at Japander or see typical western celebrity in a Japanese commercial kind of stuff, this blows them all away. They could have had a ten second spot where he holds a can of the coffee near his face and smiles, but they went all out and this has always been a canon side thing in my mind. I like to think that before Coop left Twin Peaks for twenty-five years he was still able to suppress BOB a bit and solved this one last case before assaulting Audrey and rolling out to become a Grand Theft Auto protagonist. The timing whenever Margaret pops in to inform us that "IT'S TRUE." :perfect:

The other best ones are of course those spots Arnold did for that energy drink, and the incredible Nicholas Cage ones where he has existential visions of hanging out with sentient pachinko balls and composes piano ballads about how much he loves pachinko.

Literally my only real complaint with season 3 is that there was no point where there was a can of Georgia Coffee on a desk or something. They could have even gone the fake real product route like they did with all the other food and called it Atlanta Blend or something.

If in the remaining two hours that somehow happens, I mean Twink Peaks is already on the right path to this but it would objectively make it the greatest TV series that has ever, is, or will ever be.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 1, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Baloogan posted:

are these canon?

these are the 25 years.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ginette Reno posted:

I wonder if the Tulpas know that they are Tuplas. It certainly doesn't seem so. Dougie seemed surprise when he got sucked into the lodge, and Diane basically freaked the gently caress out just before she bit the bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZFBFr71W4&t=168s

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Ginette Reno posted:

I wonder if the Tulpas know that they are Tuplas. It certainly doesn't seem so. Dougie seemed surprise when he got sucked into the lodge, and Diane basically freaked the gently caress out just before she bit the bullet.
I feel like something is specifically going wrong with Tulpas created by Bad Coop, and they're becoming aware. I say this assuming (possibly incorrectly) that Audrey is a Tulpa (she also said "I'm not me" many times like Diane did). Maybe the white-space we saw Audrey at the end of the last episode is some kind of lodge purgatory, and the real Diane is there too, if she's not dead.

I know "everyone is a tulpa" is kind of a cliche at this point, but all "non dream/coma" possibilities seem to point to Audrey being one, especially with all that talk of contracts and agreements with Charlie.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

Why does this thread always have to go straight to personal attacks? It's like no one can handle contrasting viewpoints at all.

You and a lot of other goons are really loving stupid.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Audrey is actually the dreamer and all of season 3 is in her head

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

The dreamer is Roy Orbison

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

i may disagree with that poster often too but lmao you sound like a pissy middle schooler. thanks for contributing.

edit aha nice post history in this thread you miserable angry dweeb

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Regarde Aduck posted:

Welcome to the club, idiot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Diane seems like the type of person (Tulpa?) that would say that no matter what though, if only to prevent Mike from getting a one-up on her. Or possibly she perceived/realized it just before she went to the lodge, as Cromulent posits:

Cromulent posted:

I feel like something is specifically going wrong with Tulpas created by Bad Coop, and they're becoming aware. I say this assuming (possibly incorrectly) that Audrey is a Tulpa (she also said "I'm not me" many times like Diane did). Maybe the white-space we saw Audrey at the end of the last episode is some kind of lodge purgatory, and the real Diane is there too, if she's not dead.

I know "everyone is a tulpa" is kind of a cliche at this point, but all "non dream/coma" possibilities seem to point to Audrey being one, especially with all that talk of contracts and agreements with Charlie.

I guess my question is more did the Tulpas know all along what they were or do they become aware at certain points.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
One tiny little thing I've really liked is in the opening credits when as the music fades out and the red curtains and floor titles swirl onscreen. It's not a big thing, but it sets the mood really well.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

And More posted:

Welcome to the club, idiot.

Everybody has to have the same opinions on this silly coffee tulpa show as me or i get really upset!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

It's a reverse Mulholland Drive we saw all this super hosed up poo poo happened but now Audrey wakes up and the last two hours are fan service super happy ending where they exorcised BOB forever like two minutes after Cooper walked out of the restroom at the end of season 2, Bobby and Shelly stayed together abd their daughter is doing great, the Mitchum Brothers have gone 100% straight and are now partners with Ben in owning the Great Northern. A huge party is held at the Roadhouse where a huge quantity of Double R cherry pie and coffee is delivered to celebrate Audrey waking up, both Sheriff Trumans are present. All this happens then DAVID BOWIE walks out and says.....THE ROADHOUSE..PROUDLY PRESENTS......

...................ANNIE BLACKBURN and Heather Graham comes out abd performs "In Heaven Everything is Fine."

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 1, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cromulent posted:

Maybe Charlie/white space is where the lodge spirits stash real people that have Tulpas running around, and Mr. C actually fathered Richard with Audrey's. But I also kinda feel like revealing anyone else to be one now might ruin the impact.

Thoughts: Diane's tulpa was created from Diane, while Dougie was (presumably, but most likely) created from Mr. C. Dougie turns into the weird black oozing thing upon destruction, Diane's tulpa does not. Diane seems to have thought she was the real Diane. Dougie is hard to nail down but seems to have thought of himself as Dougie, as opposed to either as Cooper or as his doppelganger. But he was by all accounts a bit of a fuckup - maybe unfaithfulness and gambling debts are all an evil doppelganger of Cooper amounts to if he doesn't host BOB. And pretty soon there's gonna be a tulpa around that's created from the actual Cooper.

I didn't like seein' Diane go. But then, I happen to know that there's a little Cooper on the way. I guess that's the way the whole darned human comedy keeps perpetuatin' itself.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that Mullholland Drive was originally written as an Audrey spinoff has been really loving with my head, way more so after last episode.

Neo Rasa posted:

It's a reverse Mulholland Drive we saw all this super hosed up poo poo happened but now Audrey wakes up and the last two hours are fan service super happy ending where they exorcised BOB forever like two minutes after Cooper walked out of the restroom at the end of season 2, Bobby and Shelly stayed together abd their daughter is doing great, the Mitchum Brothers have gone 100% straight and are now partners with Ben in owning the Great Northern. A huge party is held at the Roadhouse where a huge quantity of Double R cherry pie and coffee is delivered to celebrate Audrey waking up, both Sheriff Trumans are present. All this happens then DAVID BOWIE walks out and says.....THE ROADHOUSE..PROUDLY PRESENTS......

...................ANNIE BLACKBURN!

you forgot Wally Brando walking in "Look Mom, it seems his dharma was to Return to us"

*Waldo flies in, lands on shoulder*

FIN

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Walrus posted:

The fact that Mullholland Drive was originally written as an Audrey spinoff has been really loving with my head, way more so after last episode.

wait what

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Walrus posted:

you forgot Wally Brando walking in "Look Mom, it seems his dharma was to Return to us"

*Waldo flies in, lands on shoulder*

FIN

Even James Hurley would see that and say, "Cool."

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

1, 2, 3, how many tulpas do you see?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Neo Rasa posted:

All this happens then DAVID BOWIE walks out and says.....THE ROADHOUSE..PROUDLY PRESENTS......

...................ANNIE BLACKBURN

In almost complete darkness, we see Annie lying on the stage in the same floral dress as Caroline wore in the Black Lodge. A lone spotlight shines on Annie's gasping, bloody face as she slowly tries and fails to stand up. Three minutes pass, then five as the minor key theme from Fire Walk With Me plays in the background. Cut to the crowd assembled on the dance floor, staring dispassionately at the stage. A spotlight appears on the Fireman, who shakes his head slowly.

... starring KYLE MACHLACHLAN

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"By the way, I forgot to ask, how's Annie?"

"Oh, she's fine, she went home and nobody's talked to her since."

"Oh okay."

Starring
KYLE MacLACHLAN

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Episodes 17 and 18 will be the flight from Las Vegas to Spokane, in real time. We will see the car carrying Cooper and friends pass the "Welcome to Twin Peaks" sign...

Starring Kyle MacLachlan

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't believe these are from more than 10 episodes ago

http://i.imgur.com/3FwedmC.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/nkTUlJq.gifv

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

I finally got a chance to rewatch the latest episode, and the 2nd time through I didn't get the impression that Diane meant she was in the sherrifs department literally, in the sense of her body or soul is actually there, whether physically or embodied in a person or object.

To that end:

Compare the two times she looks at Mr C's text. There are 3 beats: glance at the text, an extreme shock reaction, Diane remembering something, and then saying something about the coordinates. The first time, she texts them to Mr C. The second, after she has started her confession to Gordon and Albert she says "I'm in the sherrif's department."

The sense I got, which doesn't come from a close read so much as doing the Lynchian thing where you relax and just free associate your way through a scene, is that the text was a command to Diane--not in the normal human language sense but like, in the way you would remotely control a computer or robot. It seems to explicitly trigger a flood of memories. Maybe the "all" is a refernce to which memories should be released to the Diane tulpa? And she gets so many new, horrible memories at once that it just breaks her.

Which brings us back to "I'm in the sherrif's department." I got the feeling at this time, instead of spitting back the coordinates that Mr. C wanted, something goes haywire and her point of view shifts to that of the coordinates themselves. She doesn't actually mean that there's some part of her there in real life, it's just a human tulpa trying to interpret life as a pair of GPS coordinates. Maybe this has something to do with her going 2d? Dougie didn't get flattened when he was recalled, did he?

Tolkien minority posted:

Theres still like a 50% chance it's actually this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

eshock posted:

Theres still like a 50% chance it's actually this.

The way her time at the Roadhouse went down made me think that like maybe she is indeed the dreamer but instead of everything being her dream, her dreams are somehow tied to how the Tulpas are made like the version of the Roadhouse she's in is like a starting point for where they cross to and appear in the real world or something after she dreams of them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Neo Rasa posted:

The way her time at the Roadhouse went down made me think that like maybe she is indeed the dreamer but instead of everything being her dream, her dreams are somehow tied to how the Tulpas are made like the version of the Roadhouse she's in is like a starting point for where they cross to and appear in the real world or something after she dreams of them.

I kind of wonder if Audrey is dreaming but her dreams are influencing reality in some way. Like all the roadhouse scenes before her dance are real but her emotional state is influencing people's behavior.

Honestly, though, I think the Audrey situation is going to turn out to be something none of us saw coming. All the scenes in the house with Charlie are just too deliberate to not add up to something but it'll be a puzzle that doesn't become understandable until the last piece is placed for you.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

cis autodrag posted:

Honestly, though, I think the Audrey situation is going to turn out to be something none of us saw coming. All the scenes in the house with Charlie are just too deliberate to not add up to something but it'll be a puzzle that doesn't become understandable until the last piece is placed for you.

The whole season is like this. I've been skipping around the earlier episodes and it's like watching a whole new show once you know how things resolve. I can't wait to go through the whole thing again.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
She has to have some connection to the Black Lodge and the Booper/Gooper situation, otherwise Lynch was just giving us a red herring by saying she was important to this season's plot.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ubiquitous_ posted:

She has to have some connection to the Black Lodge and the Booper/Gooper situation, otherwise Lynch was just giving us a red herring by saying she was important to this season's plot.

remember Becky was a 'pivotal character'

I don't count anything from prerelease as doing anything but intentionally misleading.

edit: if I were going to throw my money in the ring I'd agree with the idea that maybe she has something to do with the creation of tulpas. Going right back to the original few epuisodes, 'you were manufactured' is such a cryptic but straightforward idea, I don't think anyone expected any more information so it would be kind of out of nowhere if we did get it. "I'm not me" is the biggest clue.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it was originally conceived as a spin-off about audrey going off to hollywood but that was just a very early version of the idea, that's all

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I am so looking forward to the rewatch though, because there is just SO much fantastically awesome Lynch to unpack.

I get the feeling this is going to wind up being one of the biggest seasons of 'Cult Television' ever made, when all is said and done. One of the exciting things is that if the finale actually lives up to the potential of this series (and really, there's no reason to think it won't?) then it could really be phenomenal.

In a way, I hope that like, Episode 17 is something almost entirely in the vein of Episode 8, in that we see scenes mostly featuring Lodge creatures and Woodsmen, and all the internal consistency we've been paying attention to in the imagery and themes and concepts is actually paid off. Then the other half can be Agent Cooper being really awesome and saving the day or something.

But like someone else said, there's absolutely no way to really... predict what Lynch is going to do from week to week. So it's a goddamn mystery to me where things are really gonna go, and I like it that way.

Hey, I dunno if it's ever gonna be revisited, but what was the deal with Buella and Otis? Bad Coop shows up at this place in a Mercedes and it's incredibly loving creepy, and Ray and Darya just happen to be "back there". That was the scene where "Mr. C" was introduced, and we never see Buella or Otis ever again - at least not so far. I guess they were just criminal underground weirdos?

And incidentally, I want to say how much I *adore* the Georgia Coffee commercials. Whomever directed those did put s *lot* of effort into getting the details right and giving the commercials a strong internal logic and consistency!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
We are probably never going to get any explanation for that sick kid in the car, are we?

SMP
May 5, 2009

He was sick.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elias_Maluco posted:

We are probably never going to get any explanation for that sick kid in the car, are we?

it was bad corn, next

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think that scene was meant to give us an insight into Bobby's mental state more than anything else.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

I wouldn`t be surprised if it tied into some broader `bad stuff happening in twin peaks because of evil coop` narrative.

We still don`t really know what evil coop wants or has been doing or working towards. Would not be surprised to find out hes been working with at least Red.

The kid was drooling a similar substance to the drunk in the jail cells, right?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

The honking lady mentioned the sick kid was seeing her uncle, who she hadn't seen in a very long time. Those randos at the Roadhouse, when describing the Billy stuff, kept making mention of her uncle who she wasn't sure was there or not. I feel like there has to be some kind of connection.

I'm more curious about the 119 woman.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Some things are there just for the sake of being silly. That's like asking for an explanation for Wally Brando or the plot significance of the Andy/Lucy chair argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

...! posted:

Some things are there just for the sake of being silly. That's like asking for an explanation for Wally Brando or the plot significance of the Andy/Lucy chair argument.
I think those chairs will come back. Lynch's message to Twin Peaks Fest this year was "Does one chair lead to another?" Also, Mike appeared in Cooper's hospital room over the chair. Bobby's mom kept The Major's capsule hidden in the chair in her living room.