Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012

Sockser posted:

I loved this about the CWC as well. Relatively unknown wrestler refuses pre-match handshake, boom, he's over as a heel.

Main roster WWE could do to take a few lessons from Hunter's tournaments.

As I was watching I kept thinking how great it would be if the general product could move towards this style. If Triple H is going to be running it after Vince I suppose there's a chance of that some day, though I wonder if the general WWE audience would go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

She was such an obvious inclusion.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Giant Murderbaby posted:

As I was watching I kept thinking how great it would be if the general product could move towards this style. If Triple H is going to be running it after Vince I suppose there's a chance of that some day, though I wonder if the general WWE audience would go for it.

If wwe is going to rip off ROH circa 2003 they should also have scramble cage matches

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Giant Murderbaby posted:

They would probably have to cut back on the number of shows.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Layla El isn't dead

https://twitter.com/badboicasey/status/903370157854220291

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice

Mob posted:

Sarah Logan's accent, which is definitely played up, is pretty normal around here for the more country people(and children from all parts of the state).

Her look, aside from the gimmick animal furs and braids, is basically spot on. She literally looks like dozens of women I've met in my life.

I think she'll do pretty well in WWE.

Yep, as someone who is from the south she is absolutely authentic to many of the girls around here. I could see her really being a fan favorite of the southern demographic, because she is exactly what a lot of southern girls aspire to (in attitude).

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
good redaction

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

They only passed on Io because she's hurt IIRC. When not if type situation.

She's wrestling in the 5 Star Grand Prix right now. (I assume not literally right now because it's 12 noon in Japan)

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I watched the first night of Stardom's 5*GP and it was really good! Everyone in Oedo Tai rules, and all the matches that do not involve Mandy Leon were really good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

She's wrestling in the 5 Star Grand Prix right now. (I assume not literally right now because it's 12 noon in Japan)

It's apparently the 'needs surgery but you can perform with it if you're an idiot' type of neck issue, I think?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I still wanna know why they flew Nicole Matthews down to the MYC only for her to be an alternate. They had no one from Canada in the tournament. She easily would have been better than Renee Michelle or Miranada.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

It's apparently the 'needs surgery but you can perform with it if you're an idiot' type of neck issue, I think?

Apparently no. Dave said she had the go ahead from the doctor she saw (apparently it was some sort of spinal problem?), but WWE was still hesitant, so they passed on her.

Generally WWE keeps away from people who have had injuries like that, but at the same time, I don't see them passing on Io Shirai down the line either if she continues to remain popular (read: the best female talent in the world), and if Kairi takes off over here. Also I imagine they may make the move if Shirai starts to seriously consider retirement. She's said she's thought about it in the past, but not very seriously until lately. They pulled the same thing with Asuka, although to be fair she was also in a better state than Shirai.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 1, 2017

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Go RV! posted:

I watched the first night of Stardom's 5*GP and it was really good! Everyone in Oedo Tai rules, and all the matches that do not involve Mandy Leon were really good.

Mandys stardom run has been hilarious so far

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Episode 3
- Ayesha Raymond has something on her nose and Toni Storm has a wonderful little hat. No offense to Ayesha but Toni Storm instantly brings energy to the ring, even without the pretty cool theme music she's got.
Unfortunately the match basically falls off a cliff after that and neither woman really did herself any favors.
- Dakota Kai vs Kavita Devi is kinda boring anHOLY poo poo DAKOTA JUST MURDERED THAT INDIAN LADY :stare:
- Sage Beckett is a Shaman and that is cool as gently caress as a wrestling gimmick. Bianca Belair looks like she is a member of the US Women's Gymnast Team. Also they seemed to both think they were supposed to be the hoss of the match, and Bianca physically dominating Sage felt really weird.
- Holy crap Piper Niven is loving awesome, I feel kinda bad for Santana Garrett who by comparison is a generic ,"I try hard and want to win!" character. This match saved what had been a very mediocre episode, and Piper Niven is cool as poo poo. Watching the crowd on the replay of the finish was great, they were so into her winning it.

I hope she is happy and fulfilled and rich and gets to have a puppy if she wants one :shobon:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Huh, just looked up Sage Beckett and she's Rosie Lottalove from TNA? Wow, good for her. I didn't even recognize her.

oatgan posted:

I've only watched Night One and her match with Io and that was hilarious in a why would they book that finish way. Has it been hilarious in a good or a bad way?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thank god they censored the email address and phone number no one will ever find layla young with just her full name and the name of her employer

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's Friday so the entire first week is now cleared for untagged spoiler discussion. When the next 4 episodes drop on Monday we'll do the same thing, with spoilers required for Episode 5 through Monday, episode 6 through Tuesday, episode 7 through Wednesday, and episode 8 through Thursday. Thanks! :)

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Baron Corbyn posted:

Huh, just looked up Sage Beckett and she's Rosie Lottalove from TNA? Wow, good for her. I didn't even recognize her.
Holy poo poo. I wouldn't have guessed that, either; she looked great as a proper hoss now. I preferred her to whatsherface with the 90s braid.

Though I can never forgive her (or TNA) for concussing and crushing Daffney's chest and I think it's a bit dodgy of WWE to sign someone who caused such a notorious injury.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

^^^Sage Beckett AKA Andrea AKA Rosie Lottalove is a completely different person from her days of crushing Daffney.

oatgan posted:

Mandy amazes me because despite everything going for her she still manages incredibly boring matches. I thought that goofy WOH deathmatch she had with Taeler was just an anomaly. This Stardom tour really proves otherwise. Even my mark wife was screaming at the TV for her to actually hit Jungle Kyona.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Brazilian fans always come out to support her in stuff like this.

https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/903633540033769472

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Yeah, I don't know why WWE is targeting India when they could be targeting Brazil. The market there seems a lot more profitable/lucrative over India right now. I remember the poll WWE.com put up asking who will win the MYC, and Taynara was WAY ahead of everyone else.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

Yeah, I don't know why WWE is targeting India when they could be targeting Brazil. The market there seems a lot more profitable/lucrative over India right now. I remember the poll WWE.com put up asking who will win the MYC, and Taynara was WAY ahead of everyone else.

They have a handful of brazilian people in developmental just like india and china, so they are aware.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kafu, the Brazilian Beast, always ended up a massive talent for me in EWR back in the day. Whatever happened to him?

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

who is inanna and why is wwe social media getting us hype for her

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So in STARDOM news, I guess I can state it again, Mandy Leon is quite possibly one of the worst workers I have ever seen.

https://media.giphy.com/media/nVgJUCmJKVMhG/giphy.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/12Nzoro8rSVeve/giphy.gif

What ROH sees in her, I'll never loving know. And I feel bad for Io Shirai, having to work with dead weight like that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You missed her botch of her apron Killswitch on night 2

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

So in STARDOM news, I guess I can state it again, Mandy Leon is quite possibly one of the worst workers I have ever seen.

https://media.giphy.com/media/nVgJUCmJKVMhG/giphy.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/12Nzoro8rSVeve/giphy.gif

What ROH sees in her, I'll never loving know. And I feel bad for Io Shirai, having to work with dead weight like that.

Delirious and her are loving.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
give alpha female the universal title jesus christ

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

Delirious and her are loving.

You could say Delirious sees a lot of himself in her.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

coconono posted:

apron Killswitch

how the gently caress does this even work

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
While WWE is whitewashing history CMLL is positioning a women's apuestas match as the main event of their biggest show of the year.

Commentary tonight seemed to back it up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Fauxhawk Express posted:

how the gently caress does this even work

In this case, Kyona sorta faceplanted on her own and Mandy rear end bumped with her arms flailing behind her back.

If there wasn't already a telekinetic fairy gimmick making the rounds in joshi indies, Mandy would have a perfect shtick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 4
- Renee Michelle made it all this way and welp her first opponent is Candice LeRae so goodbye, Renee! Not a great match, and lacked any sense of flow. I expected more from LeRae though she did look the better of the two in-ring.
- Lacey Evans feels like an odd choice for the tournament since she's already made several rather prominent appearances in NXT. Taynara Conti I know nothing about but "I will use all my experience from my 15 years of fighting to destroy every person that thinks she can defeat me" is a bomb-rear end line and now I'm rooting for her. So of course she loses, in a match that sadly didn't particularly deliver.
- Reina Gonzalez wears a hat and an eye-patch. That was about the most interesting thing about her match with Nicole Savoy.
- Tessa Blanchard really drew the short straw going up against Kairi Sane, even the video package and pre-match commentary makes it clear that Kairi is the "star" of this pairing. Kairi just instantly has presence, and her outfit/music and obvious happiness to be there is absolutely endearing. The match absolutely saves the show which was pretty disappointing otherwise, it's the best match of the first four episodes and the end sequence of her pointing to the elbow, the crowd going nuts just at the idea, her hitting it and getting the pin was just great. It's no surprise, but Kairi is the standout performer of the entire tournament so far.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Savoy's performance was a real shame. Before her knee injury, she was one of the most dynamic and interesting female wrestlers in the World. Hope will return to full health and find the same form.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

coconono posted:

In this case, Kyona sorta faceplanted on her own and Mandy rear end bumped with her arms flailing behind her back.

even if it went swimmingly, it just sounds so contrived and nonsensical

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

While WWE is whitewashing history CMLL is positioning a women's apuestas match as the main event of their biggest show of the year.

Commentary tonight seemed to back it up.

WWE had their main eventer curtain jerking the MYC. That's how you establish dominance.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The Dakota Kai vs Kavita Devi match has 1.3 million views on YouTube as of this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9TZNPmEBnk

I hope this doesn't end with Kavita getting a push onto the main roster too early, but knowing WWE, it'll happen. :sigh:

I should mention that as far as I can tell, it isn't translating to network views though, so who knows!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Taynara Conti is cool and I'd love to see her with Alexa as a foil, but her ring attire is insane. You can either be a badass judoka or a... figure skater? but not both.

e: ^^^ didn't Dave say the views for the MYC on the Network were pretty good?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She should probably wear UFC style gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

flashy_mcflash posted:

Taynara Conti is cool and I'd love to see her with Alexa as a foil, but her ring attire is insane. You can either be a badass judoka or a... figure skater? but not both.

e: ^^^ didn't Dave say the views for the MYC on the Network were pretty good?

Yeah, the views on the network are good. I should have phrased that a bit differently:

The Devi matchup on the Network wasn't the most viewed episode. I think it was Episode 4 which had the most traffic, followed by episode 3 (the one with Devi), then 1, then 2.