Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Who told you this very wrong information?

Experience. I cream my pants whenever I see a lock gliding gracefully through the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

central dogma posted:

Experience. I cream my pants whenever I see a lock gliding gracefully through the sky.

That's crutchlocks players, instead of raining death from the sky they hold their super back until they die, then when they do they use their super and you can snipe them straight back in the head.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Nothing can stop the homosexual agenda

http://i.imgur.com/gR0b86e.gifv

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Migrating from D1 Old Timey Goons on Xbox 360 to PC master race :getin:

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Literally Gay69 and a Buff Gay Dude.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

afkmacro posted:

possibly also "A Quest for Milk"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

afkmacro posted:

Yeah I got force name changed. Not because of literally gay. It was the 69 lmao

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

central dogma posted:

Yeah, jump-dash in PvP sucks, recognize guardians!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Q3FizxJUM

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

OdinsBeard posted:

Okay guy who doesn't know what twilight garrison is.

I need to start annotating my posts with "in PvE" because I don't give a fuuuck about PvP.

ReverendDre posted:

Yeah, jump-dash in PvP sucks, recognize guardians!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Q3FizxJUM

This looks rad as gently caress but isn't there a massive cooldown on all this stuff now?

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Yodzilla posted:

I need to start annotating my posts with "in PvE" because I don't give a fuuuck about PvP.

This looks rad as gently caress but isn't there a massive cooldown on all this stuff now?

That was a specific piece of armor that had no cool down and you you could do 2 dodges. I was just trying to be an rear end in a top hat because that was such a terrible opinion.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh that's pretty cool then. No I didn't know about it!

e: i'm pretty much a filthy casual

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Are items character bound or can I shuffle them between classes on my account?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Capntastic posted:

Are items character bound or can I shuffle them between classes on my account?

Generally you can shuffle all items, but armor can only be equipped by their own class.

Stuff that you couldn't shuffle between characters included poo poo Bungie believed it would be too / progression breaking op like tokens for activities that would have sped you up (see: court of oryx tokens).

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Okay cool I just don't want to have to completely start over if I want to try a different class. Thank you for the speedy reply; see you in th' 'verse!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I never played Destiny 1 and there seems to be a lot of Goon Clans. Which Clan is right for me? I do like hotdogs...

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Yodzilla posted:

Destiny 2: This looks rad as gently caress but there is a massive cooldown on all this stuff now

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Okay new questions :

1) Are there any automated-turret type items and abilities? Something similar to Roland/Axton at all?
2) I want to know as much backstory as possible before playing. Are there any good sites to read up on all the lore and story both BEFORE the games, as well as all the lore that was added in Destiny 1?
3) If I like huge-rear end armored Titan looks and pick Titan over the other two classes, will my DPS be noticeably lower than other people?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

khy posted:

Okay new questions :

1) Are there any automated-turret type items and abilities? Something similar to Roland/Axton at all?
2) I want to know as much backstory as possible before playing. Are there any good sites to read up on all the lore and story both BEFORE the games, as well as all the lore that was added in Destiny 1?
3) If I like huge-rear end armored Titan looks and pick Titan over the other two classes, will my DPS be noticeably lower than other people?

1) no one like that, you get to do all the damage yourself

2) http://www.ishtar-collective.net is the best resource I have found, it groups a lot of grimoire stuff chronologically and lets you get the story stuff in an order that makes some sense. It also links to a cool timeline. If you like podcasts check out Destiny Ghost Stories. They're long winded and they tend to go off topic a lot (this results in a lot of episodes being way loving longer than they need to) but they deep dive into the lore quite a bit and they have some readings of grimoire cards that are pretty good.
3) Every class should be able to dps in this game, that stuff is much more dependent on weapons and builds vs any particular class.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
1) No.

2) A few resources:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/28/16217218/destiny-2-story-explainer-video

http://destinytimeline.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyLore/

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-complete-guide-to-destiny-lore-for-pc-gamers/

3) You literally use the same guns as everyone else. There's nothing to worry about :)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

khy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2avSq-82oI

90 minutes but it goes over EVERYTHING

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Honestly the opening cinematic to Vanilla Destiny tells you everything you need to know.

In roughly today times, we detected some weird poo poo going on in Mars. We sent modern day astronauts out there and we found a big sphere (The Traveler) that was busy making it rain on Mars. Like literally, sky water.

The Traveler followed us back to earth and helped technology advance at a more rapid pace than ever. We colonized all the planets that it terraformed for us and lived through many many years of The Golden Age.

The Darkness™ came for the Traveler and killed all our off world colonies and dick punched the Traveler so hard that all he could do was die on top of The Last City, Earth, creating the first Safe Space seen since 2017.

This was called the Collapse. At some point a bunch of tiny gay robots flew out of the Traveler's butt hole and revived dead bodies across earth to serve as Guardians, which are the player characters, in order to beat off the Darkness with both hands!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I never played Destiny 1 and there seems to be a lot of Goon Clans. Which Clan is right for me? I do like hotdogs...

Hi I lead HOTDOG. We would love to have you. Gonna keep it chill and just play a lot.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The events of Destiny 1 are completely insignificant. Some bad guys were introduced and defeated.

Literally no progress was made on the plot line established in the opening cinematic (Revive the Traveler and determine what The Darkness was)

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Didn't Luke Smith acknowledge in a recent interview that they have no idea what they're doing plot wise with the Darkness?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The events of Destiny 1 are completely insignificant. Some bad guys were introduced and defeated.

Literally no progress was made on the plot line established in the opening cinematic (Revive the Traveler and determine what The Darkness was)

The darkness is a sleazy agent slash used car salesman for bad guys

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Honestly the opening cinematic to Vanilla Destiny tells you everything you need to know.

In roughly today times, we detected some weird poo poo going on in Mars. We sent modern day astronauts out there and we found a big sphere (The Traveler) that was busy making it rain on Mars. Like literally, sky water.

The Traveler followed us back to earth and helped technology advance at a more rapid pace than ever. We colonized all the planets that it terraformed for us and lived through many many years of The Golden Age.

The Darkness™ came for the Traveler and killed all our off world colonies and dick punched the Traveler so hard that all he could do was die on top of The Last City, Earth, creating the first Safe Space seen since 2017.

This was called the Collapse. At some point a bunch of tiny gay robots flew out of the Traveler's butt hole and revived dead bodies across earth to serve as Guardians, which are the player characters, in order to beat off the Darkness with both hands!

Haaaa this is awesome catch-up, thanks.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

this video rules btw. PRO CLICK

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The darkness is like smith's butthole where he pulls new enemies from when papa activision says it's time for more dlc

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Hi I lead HOTDOG. We would love to have you. Gonna keep it chill and just play a lot.

Good enough for me! Thanks, sent a request as PandaP!

Claes Oldenburger fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 1, 2017

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I hope there is a Vex like transmat effect since I saw one looking like hive taint / crota armpit smell in the leaked nessus patrol video.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Destiny 2 happens because a) the guardians bring Rasputin back online, massively loving the Cabal's poo poo up on Mars and b) the guardians killing so many of the Cabal's high command they have to call the Empire for help.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

ElNarez posted:

Destiny 2 happens because a) the guardians bring Rasputin back online, massively loving the Cabal's poo poo up on Mars and b) the guardians killing so many of the Cabal's high command they have to call the Empire for help.

Actually that's almost irrelevant, it seems pretty clear this Ghaul dude knows of the traveler and is pissed it didn't give the light to the oil rhinos and instead later gave it to humans.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Ghaul is going to steal The Traveler's power to teleport himself back into a Warhammer 40k game.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Actually that's almost irrelevant, it seems pretty clear this Ghaul dude knows of the traveler and is pissed it didn't give the light to the oil rhinos and instead later gave it to humans.

yeah i think if there's any narrative connection at all it's that Ghaul didn't know where the traveler was, and does now, hence he shows up in D2

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This owns, thanks.

At what point of the video do the events of the first game occur?

EDIT : Nevermind, 50 minutes in when the guy doing the Narration starts saying "You" a lot.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 1, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
D1 expansions also struggled a bit with scale.

Taken King - A reality-bending literal God has turned his gaze upon the world of Men. We will have to ascend into his ethereal realm, harness the very power of the Darkness itself, and kill his immortal soul through a forbidden arcane ritual. At long last, this timeless threat has been ended.

Rise of Iron - Fuckin space cockroaches are making a drat mess of our recycle bins. There's also a black guy now.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Do these games take place in the Riddick continuity? Reading the above they sound like it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Note that all of this happened before Destiny 1 and the ENTIRE plot of Destiny 1 is irrelevant to Destiny 2 because nothing happened.

Bungie straight up forgot to do anything with the Traveller and all of Destiny 1 was about fighting some Hive jerks because they were in our solar system.

Upside, anybody joining us for Destiny 2 won't be left out really at all.

There's a ton of backstory lore stuff like Dark Souls, but the actual game story is very minor and mostly cheesy.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yup. This 100%

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
If I use Amazon to preorder this for the discount, I don't get the preorder items?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

D1 expansions also struggled a bit with scale.

Taken King - A reality-bending literal God has turned his gaze upon the world of Men. We will have to ascend into his ethereal realm, harness the very power of the Darkness itself, and kill his immortal soul through a forbidden arcane ritual. At long last, this timeless threat has been ended.

Rise of Iron - Fuckin space cockroaches are making a drat mess of our recycle bins. There's also a black guy now.

There's a lot of really loving weird scale issues in this video.

You go from the Fallen, which are just four-armed space scavenger types, to the Hive which are servants of the Darkness with immortal gods and poo poo, to the Vex which are time-travelling robots that can erase people from time and somehow this is less of a threat than the Cabal?

If a race can 'go back in time' and 'erase people from time' how the gently caress can anything be a bigger threat than them?

E: In a weird way a lot of this reminds me of DBZ, what with wish-granting dragons and a space god you kill only to have his dad show up to attack later on.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 1, 2017

• Locked thread