Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Having moved four or five times without pack out service, I have to say pack out is amazing and I love it and moving any other way is hell.

But I've never tried to do it with a spouse and kid so that might gum up what I found to be pretty smooth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

Bloodnose posted:

Having moved four or five times without pack out service, I have to say pack out is amazing and I love it and moving any other way is hell.

But I've never tried to do it with a spouse and kid so that might gum up what I found to be pretty smooth

I've thought about how much easier this process would be if I became a minimalist and had no HHE at all. All my stuff would fit in my suitcases or my UAB and that would be all I needed.

Speaking of which, I have yet to submit my paperwork for reimbursement for my own recent move. Those applications aren't going to fill themselves out on their own.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, fair, moving with movers > without, but moving < not moving. I just have a lot more poo poo now that I own a house and a kid and a spouse.

Apparently Transportation is sending moving inspectors out to all packouts now in DC, which is super nice. The WAE guy I have for today's packout just called the company to yell at them for not being communicative with me, then we talked about all the people we knew in common from his NEA tours before retirement.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So wow, my storage packers last week were great, but HHE and UAB this week are not... request Hildrup for DC packouts if you get the chance, not Western Express.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

the_chavi posted:

I'm at that phase of packout where I want to quit my job, sell or give away everything in the house (including my husband and child), and move to a mountaintop yurt in the Ozarks. Jesus, why do we do this to ourselves??!

Legit can hook you up with some yurt action.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

the_chavi posted:

So wow, my storage packers last week were great, but HHE and UAB this week are not... request Hildrup for DC packouts if you get the chance, not Western Express.

I had Able Moving and Storage and they worked fast and carefully.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Business of Ferrets posted:

Legit can hook you up with some yurt action.

You've got a yurt guy? God, I love this job.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

the_chavi posted:

I'm at that phase of packout where I want to quit my job, sell or give away everything in the house (including my husband and child), and move to a mountaintop yurt in the Ozarks. Jesus, why do we do this to ourselves??!

Isn't that every stage of packout?

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
My regional DIR is suggesting FSOT even though I am just finishing undergrad ( peace corps or fulbright next fall) any disadvantages whatsoever to just taking it to get a sense of the test?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
None whatsoever, unless you get to the OA and spend money on a hotel and flight just to fail :suicide:

They are all independent of each other, so nothing carries over

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

nurabsal posted:

My regional DIR is suggesting FSOT even though I am just finishing undergrad ( peace corps or fulbright next fall) any disadvantages whatsoever to just taking it to get a sense of the test?

There is the obvious potential upside of skipping the two jobs you mentioned and going straight into a career.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

Business of Ferrets posted:

There is the obvious potential upside of skipping the two jobs you mentioned and going straight into a career.

Yeah. Definitely giving it a shot, but I would relish a Peace Corps stint for personal reasons anyway. I also don't have any professional experience abroad and only speak two languages (no critical languages either).

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It's pretty rare to make it right out of undergrad but it happens. We had one guy in my consular section like that, widely known as a whiz kid. It also means you have the best shot to make SFS before mandatory retirement if you can handle the idea of spending your whole life in the service

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I'm probably too old to even dream of SFS as a non-traditional student (28) so I won't even sweat that. I should be focusing on finding more realistic career goals probably...but :)

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

nurabsal posted:

I'm probably too old to even dream of SFS as a non-traditional student (28) so I won't even sweat that. I should be focusing on finding more realistic career goals probably...but :)

One of my A-100 instructors told me that he had a classmate who made the SFS in 14 years. If you plan your assignments wisely and take full advantage of the opportunities you are given, then it can happen.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

zzonkmiles posted:

One of my A-100 instructors told me that he had a classmate who made the SFS in 14 years. If you plan your assignments wisely and take full advantage of the opportunities you are given, then it can happen.

Pig in the python - etc etc.

That used to be possible. I know somebody who made their 1 in 11 or 12 years? His wife is a 3 and they came in the same A100.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So uh, some sort of high intensity sonic device injured a bunch of embassy personnel in Cuba?

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

TCD posted:

That used to be possible. I know somebody who made their 1 in 11 or 12 years? His wife is a 3 and they came in the same A100.

Can you elaborate on the first part?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TCD posted:

drat.

I'm 100% expecting to retire as a 2.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Also, RIP sounding board! Not that I ever really used it but there was some occasional real comedy there.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Tyro posted:

Also, RIP sounding board! Not that I ever really used it but there was some occasional real comedy there.

Yeah, no more reading about how one should dress more professionally at FSI or rantings about the food choices at HST...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tyro posted:

drat.

I'm 100% expecting to retire as a 2.

High five!

I'd like to make it to 1 but...

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

TCD posted:

High five!

I hope the new administration doesn't make it even harder to get tenure as a way of "cutting costs." Otherwise, thinking of a 3 seems like wishful thinking.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

TCD posted:

High five!

I'm just hoping my cryptocurrency investments will do well enough that I can just go ahead and retire at 4. :flip:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

1of7 posted:

I'm just hoping my cryptocurrency investments will do well enough that I can just go ahead and retire at 4. :flip:

My old boss from another job bought $20,000 worth of bitcoin when it was around $5.00

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

TCD posted:

My old boss from another job bought $20,000 worth of bitcoin when it was around $5.00

Nice! I bought 1 at $99 but when my wife found out the following week she made me sell it for $105. :doh:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

1of7 posted:

Nice! I bought 1 at $99 but when my wife found out the following week she made me sell it for $105. :doh:

He then bought a bunch of mining equipment from a company - with bitcoin that then filed for bankruptcy.

He has a nice retirement egg now, but not, 15-17million like he could have.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'd say he did just fine, trading a shitload of Bitcoin for tangible assets he could resell.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tyro posted:

I'd say he did just fine, trading a shitload of Bitcoin for tangible assets he could resell.

He pre-ordered the equipment and paid in full with coins - and they went bankrupt before they delivered. It was one of the companies a while back that was a quasi ponzi scheme. And then the price of coins went through the roof.

He was a little bitter on that one.

TCD fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 30, 2017

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hahahaha. I assumed the purchase went through before the bankruptcy.

Oh man.

I wrote a paper about how Bitcoin was stupid and destined to fail when it was priced at like $6.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
There's a dedicated buttcoin thread in YOSPOS if you want to follow the weird and terrible world of Bitcoin and ICOs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741325&pagenumber=999

One of the regulars just published an anti-hype book.

https://www.amazon.com/Attack-50-Foot-Blockchain-Contracts-ebook/dp/B073CPP581/

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
List is out. Along with what remained of my morale.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

1of7 posted:

List is out. Along with what remained of my morale.

Ugh. Sorry, friend. I'm not up for promotion until 2018, so hopefully things will suck less by then?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Gobbeldygook posted:

There's a dedicated buttcoin thread in YOSPOS if you want to follow the weird and terrible world of Bitcoin and ICOs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741325&pagenumber=999

One of the regulars just published an anti-hype book.

https://www.amazon.com/Attack-50-Foot-Blockchain-Contracts-ebook/dp/B073CPP581/

Hahaha David Gerard, the guy who wrote that book is an old friend. I had no idea he was a goon. What's his name here?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Sorry you didn't make it. I'll be curious to see how bad the numbers are, after that message we got this week.

the_chavi posted:

Ugh. Sorry, friend. I'm not up for promotion until 2018, so hopefully things will suck less by then?

Yeah that's the great thing about not being up this year.

Though all my anxiety is consumed by bidding since that's about to start.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Haha gently caress I just checked the list and some of my classmates got it so I guess I was eligible.

Well that ruined my day.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Leif. posted:

Hahaha David Gerard, the guy who wrote that book is an old friend. I had no idea he was a goon. What's his name here?
divabot

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

the_chavi posted:

I have a bad feeling it will only get worse before it gets better...

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SCRwM posted:

I have a bad feeling it will only get worse before it gets better...

Concur. Oh well, I'm in Turkey for three years, the local wine isn't bad, and the exchange rate works in my favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tyro posted:

Haha gently caress I just checked the list and some of my classmates got it so I guess I was eligible.

Well that ruined my day.

Enjoy your 3 day weekend!

(Sorry it sucks especially when you have those head scratcher names)